Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OPINIONS REQUIRED ( A MESSAGE THAT I SENT DAVID HOOD)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,864

OPINIONS REQUIRED ( A MESSAGE THAT I SENT DAVID HOOD)

Dec 17, 2019, 2:31 PM

From the beginning of the season, I've taken notice of Ohio State. They're scary good this season. Not the paper tiger (no pun intended), that everyone may believe them to be. When you look at the metrics, it doesn't tell the whole story. I am not certain that Clemson will dominate them as we have in the past. In other words, the game as far as I'm concerned is 50/50. The reason I say this is due to the defensive scheme we are running this season. While Coach V is a genius in his own right, schematically we don't match up well with them. That's not to say that Coach V won't run a four man front during that game, but schematically using the three man front we just don't have the meat and muscle up front to set the edge and pressure Fields. Let's not forget that they have a solid TE and RB on the squad. I'm not saying that they will burn us, but they can certainly get chunk plays and extend drives. It will be a shootout for sure; in my opinion.

We've had many missed tackles in open space this season, and if we clean that up then we will be able to stop the run rather well. However, we haven't been stuffing the run in the back field as much this season, and that draws concerns from me.(Could just be me overthinking.) The positive is that we have the nation's best Red-Zone defense. Also, our secondary limits the pass game significantly. If we run a blitz package it would have to be a variety of Safety and LB blitz packages disguised as a different coverage package. Clemson's Defense would also have to account for the spy that we absolutely must have on Fields. Isaiah Simmons or Skalski will be busy for sure. Muse is too aggressive and tends to over extend the attack and miss tackles. However the violence of attack is there, and he can lay a lick on someone causing psychological effects of the game to set in. Logan Rudolph is also coming into his own at Clemson. In short, XT and the other DEs must be in beast mode all game to ensure that Fields is laying on his back all night long.

Our secondary is solid, and the pass game will be extremely limited. However, I've noticed the chink in the armor underneath in space or the short slants on the corner. We seem to have issues covering the bubble screen. It's almost like we must win by way of attrition in some match-ups, but this is the Playoff, and the teams that are here to play will have depth as well. We won't be able to wear them down as quickly as the Virginia team we played in Charlotte. Of course, this is why we play the game because in 2016 Ohio State was the team to beat, and we all know how that turned out. However, I'm not sure if it will be the same story this season. Coach V and Dabo are adjustment geniuses. They don't just make half-time adjustments, they will make an adjustment if they have two consecutive drives that don't pan out quite well.

On Offense we have our own concerns to consider. The best DE we've faced all season will be in that game. He's a beast for sure, and has faced some stiff Offensive Lines all season. However, our Offensive Line is possibly one of the best he will face all season. Add in the fact that Trevor Lawrence is most dangerous when he's scrambling in the pocket and throwing on the move. It's definitely pick your poison and I believe if the Tigers come out gelling then that will be the game winning factor early on in the game. Especially if our defense has to come out and adjust to early game surprises and tempo.

Why didn't I add in LSU and Oklahoma? It's because both of them run a scheme that plays right into the hands of Clemson. We will wear them both down to a sack of potatoes before Mid-Third Quarter. I'm not too concerned about them.

In closing I'd like to add that if we win it all this year, pencil us in for the next two to three years as well. The Best Is Yet To Come!

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

TL:DR

Dec 17, 2019, 2:41 PM

signed
Hood

J/k, but I'm not kidding now. We have one of, if not the best open field tackling team in the country. Our fundamentals are sound and solid. That, imo, is one of the things I noticed other top four teams didn't have.

Each and every game we've played up to USuCk game was used by Coach Venables to work on areas where we are the weakest and the stats are skewed due to Brent putting our 3rd and 4th string players in positions which challenged their abilities and understanding of their responsibility.

Clemson 45+ OSU 13-19 maybe if we let off the gas in the third quarter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL:DR

Dec 17, 2019, 3:15 PM

I will add, our players always play to the whistle. We have seen shoestring, or last second diving tackles, even by O players after a turnover. Or a defensive player, even the bigs, come flying over from the far side of the field to make a tackle or force a fumble at the last moment.

This season TL made the play after his INT, and gave the D a chance to make a goal line stand. Hunter's from behind TD saving tackle against 'bamer comes to mind. We have all seen it over and over thru the years.

Watch other teams quit on plays ( even nfl ). It happens every game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OPINIONS REQUIRED ( A MESSAGE THAT I SENT DAVID HOOD)

Dec 17, 2019, 2:42 PM

Message was edited by: terrier2®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 3:14 PM

https://images.app.goo.gl/KRfFyeYfYmdt6N1g9

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yeah, and the Maginot Line is the most impregnable fortress

Dec 17, 2019, 3:24 PM

in the history of warfare.

Re: Yeah, and the Maginot Line is the most impregnable fortress

Dec 17, 2019, 3:39 PM

The Big 10 benefited GREATLY this year from lofty preseason rankings of a few teams and a terribly weak OOC schedule. The played 7 Power 5 OOC games and lost 4 of them. Penn State beat average Pitt 17 to 10 at Penn State. Ohio State did not play a Power 5 OOC game this year.

I am not sold that Penn State has played teams that are far superior to the teams we have played. Teams like Penn State and Michigan are good teams but not great despite their rankings.

Ohio State has not played a team anywhere close to Clemson and that my friends is a fact. Both offensively and defensively we are the best they have seen. Ohio State is the best team we have played this season, but nothing we have not seen before and our coaching staff will have our Tigers ready to roll on the 28th.

We will give up more points than we have this season but our offense will rule the day. Our offense has been waiting for this opportunity and now that the Tigers have been ignored on just about all the awards list it is time for the ROY bus to run over some people.

Re: Yeah, and the Maginot Line is the most impregnable fortress

Dec 17, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Yeah, and the Maginot Line is the most impregnable fortress ]

the Maginot Line was impregnable. It just wasn't long enough!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Dec 17, 2019, 4:03 PM

well thought out, we will see how much havoc Young really levies on the offense. He's obviously a great edge rusher and he's fast. They have good linebackers and a good secondary. Going to be a rough/tough shootout in Phoenix. We only need to have more points on the board when the clock hits zero and we move on, doesn't have to be pretty, doesn't have to be dominant.

Clemson plays Clemsons game I think we have the edge, most of the players on this team have been thru the spine cycle that is the CFP and know how to prepare and focus. The coaches are all experienced as well.

Its basically a home game for Ohio State, don't think its going to be a sea of orange there this time around. Airfare makes it prohibitive for most, tickets for the game are already under $110 on Ticketmaster and there are lots of seats. Tickets to Phoenix are over $800 almost universally from anywhere in the south....

we will see on Dec 28th...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,864
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic