Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownlee is a good coach who walked into a bad situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Brownlee is a good coach who walked into a bad situation

Feb 24, 2016, 9:22 AM

Anyone who denies his coaching ability doesnt understand the game. Many forget that we play in the toughest conference in the country in a region that doesnt produce much talent, and even if there is, they go to the North Carolina schools. Mix that in with the fact our arena was an aging giant with lackluster support, he really wasn't destined for success. Also throw in the fact we're always replacing our leading scorer.

Now I'm not making excuses for the guy. His record by year is by follows: 22-12 (NCAAT bid); 16-15; 13-18; 23-13 (NIT); 16-15; and now it stands at 16-12. His highest finish in the ACC was T-4th and has a losing record in ACC games. Before Monte Lee got on campus, I've heard from multiple people that Brownell was the best XO's coach at Clemson regardless of sport, and I don't doubt that for a second. But when it comes down to it, the results aren't there and there is no definite sign of positive momentum.

I think Brownell has found his niche though: getting transfers from other schools who seek ACC playing time. Basketball recruiting is completely different than football, and being in a poor state for talent doesnt help matters. But you have to find a way around the problem and he's done it. I say next year is the biggest indicator to EXACTLY where this program is going. Will the "impact transfers" pay off and will this team make the jump? I don't know, but I love the three guys we have eligible next year and I think we will be a much improved team (especially if JB comes back).

If JB leaves, this team will simply be another .500 team. We need to appreciate him while we have him. He's an absolute baller. If he returns for next year, this team has a real good chance to be ranked and make the tournament. I know this has been another roller coaster year that is leading towards disappointment, but next year is the last test. I also know people are tired of hearing "next year will be our year." But there was NO expectations for this year and for the most part, this team has exceeded all of our expectations.

Give it one more year, Tiger fans. If next year is another lackluster year, consider me on the new coach bandwagon. However, now is just not the right time. The new arena + new players should create a sense of excitement for 2016-2017. If we fall flat on our face, then its time to make a change.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He walked into a NCAAT team

Feb 24, 2016, 9:25 AM

Give me a freaking break.

When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul,

Feb 24, 2016, 9:26 AM

it's not a good situation. Trust me. Purnell knew what was coming and his success was capped.

OP gift wrapped brownies on NCAA trip

Feb 24, 2016, 9:27 AM

His sucky recruiting sank the ship.

his first "real" class:

Feb 24, 2016, 9:32 AM

Rod Hall, KJ McDaniels, TJ Sapp, Bernard Sulliven and Devin Coleman.

Two of these five finished at Clemson and had good careers. The other 3, who were higher rated than Hall/KJ, left.

Sometimes its not "sucky recruiting."

Not being able to keep kids on campus

Feb 24, 2016, 9:34 AM

Is also HIS fault!

So it's also Dabo's fault right?

Feb 24, 2016, 9:39 AM

Give me a freaking break. You can't just play kids who aren't good enough for the sake of keeping them happy.

So you admit his recruiting sucks?

Feb 24, 2016, 9:43 AM

And please, dont mention brown-L in the same thread as Dabo. Dabo deserves better.

Duke football = Clemson basketball

Feb 24, 2016, 9:47 AM

Clemson football = Duke basketball

When it comes to recruiting this region. All the studs go to Duke for BBall, all the studs come here for football. We, just like Duke in football, have to do more with less. I'm not comparing BB to Cutcliffe, but you see my point. We are in one of the worst places to recruit in the country, the talent pool isn't very deep and the studs simply aren't interested in a historically mediocre program that is all hands on deck for football.

OP had LJ ranked as #1 home court by EA

Feb 24, 2016, 9:52 AM

Think about that. Sure, its a just a game, but thats out respected and feared LJ was under OP. Now Clemson basketball is like a handful of fans watching golf. And NO, a new arena will not fix that. Exciting, winning basketball will.

And he walked out on this program.

Feb 24, 2016, 9:55 AM

And then absolutely train-wrecked at DePaul. The truth is he didn't want to be here, plain and simple, regardless of his success. It's crazy how you still respect a guy who just quits on his team.

Im not defending the guy

Feb 24, 2016, 10:00 AM

Im using him as the example for what Clemson basketball could and should be. I dont want him back. I want his style of basketball back.

Duke played in the ACC Championship game just a couple years

Feb 24, 2016, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Duke football = Clemson basketball ]

ago. They've been out-recruiting a majority of the conference. Duke football and Clemson basketball are not comparable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

ACC Coastal football says hi***

Feb 24, 2016, 10:00 AM

So does Clemson's basketball schedule, what's your point?

Feb 24, 2016, 10:04 AM

We played our toughest games at home. We beat Cuse sans Boeheim. We were sitting at 7-3 with the easiest remaining schedule in the conference. So please tell me about how much of an advantage Duke has in the ACC Coastal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul,

Feb 24, 2016, 9:28 AM [ in reply to When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul, ]

true and at Depaul too as it turned out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2016, 9:29 AM [ in reply to When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul, ]

YEP, PURNELL KNEW WHAT WAS COMING OK. HIS WIFE WAS LEAVING IF HE DIDNT. OP HAD A BAD ZIPPER PROBLEM. PLEASE INFORM US HOW HIS SUCCESS WAS CAPPED.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unrealistic expectations for a football school...

Feb 24, 2016, 9:34 AM

No other coach in the country would walk out on a NCAA tournament team returning a good portion of its roster. OP did. Now if you have a better reason please do explain.

Feb 24, 2016, 9:50 AM [ in reply to When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul, ]

And how has Purnell done there? The program was left in bad shape.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

OP was at odds with the administration. That's why

Feb 24, 2016, 10:17 AM [ in reply to When your tournament coach leaves unexpected for Depaul, ]

he left, especially the way he left. No argument so far - he was a better coach at Clemson than BB. The record IS the only metric. XandOs.... Give me Ws.

Re: OP was at odds with the administration. That's why

Feb 24, 2016, 10:22 AM

IF THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE, HAVE AT IT.

You're either....

Feb 24, 2016, 11:49 AM [ in reply to OP was at odds with the administration. That's why ]

really ignorant or unbelievably misinformed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Brownlee is a good coach who walked into a bad situation

Feb 24, 2016, 9:29 AM

I don't know anything about the game.

Educate me on why he's such a great coach....

if JB leaves it will be the worst decision of all time....

Feb 24, 2016, 9:30 AM

look at the career-fail KJ McDaniels has fallen into

and he was actually more prepared to go early that JB is.

This is a ridiculous point that needs to be forgotten.

Please stop.

Might as well say that Holmes is going early....

JB is a better basketball player at this point than KJ was.

Feb 24, 2016, 9:37 AM

KJ was an absolute stud athlete, but that can only take you so far in the NBA. JB has developed a great offensive game this year, and the fact that he is going to AT LEAST get 2nd team All-ACC proves my point.

The fact that you are comparing him to Avery Holmes is an absolute joke. I'm not saying he leaves early, but he's certainly capable of making a roster in the NBA.

KJ McDaniels makes $3 Million this year and $10 Million over

Feb 24, 2016, 11:20 AM [ in reply to if JB leaves it will be the worst decision of all time.... ]

the next 2.5 years.

How is that a "career-fail?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2016, 9:41 AM

Totally agree. Good sensible post. And all you Purnell disciples need to look at DePaul.

Excuses excuses excuses***

Feb 24, 2016, 9:49 AM

I keep seeing this garbage about how the ACC is the

Feb 24, 2016, 10:01 AM

toughest conference in the country. I don't buy it, especially this year. Is there a team you would point to in the ACC and say they have a really good chance at winning it all?

Also, this argument about lackluster support, no history, no talent in South Carolina is shot by the success Frank Martin has had so far at USuCk. I don't like him and I sure as heck wouldn't want him coaching at Clemson, but his program is far beyond where CBB is right now, and he's done it with less time.

clemson doesn't support basketball

Feb 24, 2016, 10:14 AM

how could anyone go to 3 straight NCAAT's and win more ACC games than any other team not in blue over 3 years?

can't be done

There we go again with the "No Talent In Region" thing ...

Feb 24, 2016, 10:10 AM

That is complete bull manure ... soooooooooooo, all the kids in the region do nothing but play football 24/7, 365 ? I guarantee you ......... NOT ! Just ask the kids ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is somewhat of a factor, but not an excuse for

Feb 24, 2016, 10:21 AM

consistent failure.

There are PLENTY of very good basketball players who are not from inner city, big metro areas.

There is no reason we can't get an kid from one of those areas every now and then.

Lots of good teams pull players from outside their home state or local geographical region (and not just the UNCs and Dooks and Louisvilles etc).

We get kids from all over, from lots of different backgrounds and locales to play football at Clemson, and there is no reason we can't do the same for basketball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

What's pathetic (and telling) is that there were "NO

Feb 24, 2016, 10:13 AM

expectations for this year" which is year 6 of a downward spiral. This should have been a year in which the pieces finally were in place, with high hopes and real results. Getting to the dance is not that much to ask at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 24, 2016, 10:18 AM

That's a load. Last time I checked he wanted the job and gets a fat check to not suck .

please... explain your "bad situation" more thoroughly

Feb 24, 2016, 10:22 AM

i'm interested in this

go on

It appears Brad and TDP don't agree with the "bad" situation excuse

Feb 24, 2016, 10:29 AM

Let me remind you of Brad thought he inherited:
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18592190

i'm in agreement dude***