Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ON STUDENT ATHLETES and Twitter, Facebook, etc:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 944

ON STUDENT ATHLETES and Twitter, Facebook, etc:

Mar 30, 2013, 7:30 AM

Considering my ongoing battles with grandkids over twittering, facebooking and texting while dining, I decided to largely ignore the social media craze for two reasons: I don't understand what they are saying, AND (perhaps,) I JUST DON'T GIVE A HOOT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.

Thus, I initiated a rule: No devices at the table...whether at my home or out...subject to being castigated, humiliated, devastated, and/or annihilated. (Of course, I had a little leverage: no listen...no lake.)

Now, as to student athletes, I tend to view them somewhat like troops in the army: as long as Uncle Sam is footing the bill, when the DI says, "Jump," your ONLY response is, "Yes, DI...How high?" Then, start jumping...and keep your opinions to yourself.

No school offers a scholarship for athletics for any of these students' opinions...They're given to obtain these athletes' abilities..and they are expected to do two things: further their education AND give 110 percent to the team. Thus, I don't care what an athlete thinks about his coach(es)...I want his 110 percent. If he has issues, then take them up within the chain...right on up to the AD, the President, the BOT, if necessary...and keep them IN HOUSE.

I don't know what young Mr. Filer was attempting to say...I just don't care. His apology, retraction ends the matter. However, if he or any other athlete have issues, then I, also, don't care to read or hear about them on some cotton-picking social media site. They belong IN HOUSE between that athlete and the Clemson authorities...period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so...

Mar 30, 2013, 7:43 AM

you say all of this to say that student athletes can carry on twittering, but only if they keep their negative opinions to themselves??

also, do you view all gov't employees like soldiers?

twittering lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe it's up to the staff to make decisions

Mar 30, 2013, 8:31 AM

regarding social media contacts with the athletes, although I, also, believe it would be difficult at best to eliminate the same completely. Per my example, I know I would have a hard time stopping my grandkids' use, but I can control it while we're dining. Our athletes are provided free educations in exchange for their services to our programs; IMO that demands 110 percent loyalty in addition to their dual-fold efforts (again per my OP.)

I have simply held a long-standing belief in complete loyalty to my employers and even while largly a business owner, loyalty to my clientele/customers. Thus, I believe in keeping negative opinions to myself...or taking them up privately with the parties concerned. Frankly, I believe that should be true in any endeavor unless illegalities/ improprieties are concerned, and I have exhausted all avenues within the chain for remedies.

And I say this without the naivety of knowing that social media is here to remain...and no doubt, will only be further expanded, the reality of which I don't condemn.

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hartins, I concur with what you have said. But

Mar 30, 2013, 8:38 AM

saying you have ignored the social media craze by posting these feelings on a social media site is rather curious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just play along; we don't like to upset him before his nap.

Mar 30, 2013, 9:02 AM

;)

good morning hartins and all. happy saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 944
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic