Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OLine...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

OLine...

Aug 6, 2015, 8:00 PM

Not trying to be negative whatsoever just posing a question. How good can our OLine be? Norton struggled mightily last year, Mac Lain has one start, and the rest are unproven. That could mean the sky's the limit and they all turn out amazing as well. How do you see our line forming up? Moving bodies around? Players changing positions? Just opening up a topic of discussion.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OLine...yeah I wonder that too

Aug 6, 2015, 8:02 PM

it always seems to be a struggle there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was only that way for...

Aug 6, 2015, 9:37 PM

what, 15 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With 4 double digit win seasons they must be doing something

Aug 6, 2015, 11:17 PM

right. That includes all the attrition the unit has endured which has greatly hindered the coaches and players. They have definitely done a good job IMO but still seems to be bashed every year. Go Tiger OL!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Jay G is good to go, he keeps us solid at center

Aug 6, 2015, 8:04 PM

Norton I think plays fine, he just had some very bad snaps. I like him at guard. Crowder also had significant time from last year. Tackles are a bit of a mystery.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

Re: OLine...

Aug 6, 2015, 8:40 PM

Ultimately we'll likely see an average to somewhat above average line. Crowder is a potential all-ACC guard, and I expect the rest to be essentially average. Gore could have a breakout year and Hyatt will likely show flashes.

Aug 6, 2015, 9:30 PM

They will be fine after going against the #1 defense line. Better than last year I predict. #1 defense. The first two games will get them tuned up for the birds!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2015, 9:36 PM

I think getting acclimated to responsibility will be their biggest hurtle. Chemistry, I hope, won't be so much an issue with our first two games not being with ACC foes. I'm not worried about coaching or talent and at last we may have an opportunity for a little quality depth at O-line.

All in all, we're better off this time of year than we've been for a long while. I'm a worrier too. I try not to be negative all the time, that's bullchit, I'm a pumper and you can't believe anything I write.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2015, 9:38 PM

Our OL was a real problem last year. Since they're gone, I'll go ahead and say Battle and David Beasley were two serious problems for Robbie Caldwell...neither had much of a work ethic, they weren't particularly coachable, and they were prone to busts, incomprehensible missed assignments, and took a lot of plays off to boot. Physically they were talented guys, but that's a lot of baggage. Battle in particular was apparently a constant, well, battle for Caldwell, and they reportedly did not see eye to eye, and IB pretty much stayed in the coaches' doghouse.

When your upperclassmen are acting like that, it's a problem. We will miss Battle's talent, especially early, but the...stuff that came along with those two, no, we will not miss, and there's a reason the coaches finally cut Battle loose and basically forced him into the supplemental draft. Kalon Davis was apparently a lot more coachable and a lot less of a problem child but he was basically a guard playing tackle because we had no one else, and his work ethic reportedly did not set the world afire either.

We definitely aren't there anymore. The guys who redshirted - Falcinelli and Hearn - are apparently a big step up in terms of work ethic, and the newcomers - especially Hyatt and Fruhmogen - are crazy-intense workers and some of the most intelligent, talented, and coachable O-linemen that have ever suited up for Clemson. Also heard decent things about Maverick Morris...I don't think he's a star, but he's serviceable. Between Guillermo, Norton, and Falcinelli we should be at least adequate at center and we're definitely experienced there...which is good, considering how much youth we're working in elsewhere. The real prize among the holdovers is Tyrone Crowder...the guy is huge, athletic, and crazy-strong, and has "NFL" written all over him. So we should be pretty experienced, and pretty good, at the interior OL spots, and we're definitely deep on the interior. If Norton or Guillermo kick out to guard, we're returning three starters there.

My concern, and I think everyone's, is about the offensive tackles. Joe Gore has plenty of experience and NFL physical talent but he's never put it together before...now would be a dandy time for him to do that. He's a long-term project converting from defender - we recruited him initially as an end - but him finally delivering on all that athletic potential is kind of a must for us this year. If Gore is serviceable I feel good about the right tackle spot, especially with a hoss like Fruhmogen backing him up. If Gore struggles again...well, it could get dicey.

I suppose if you must start a true freshman at left tackle, you'd want it to be a 5-star who enrolled early and got in during Spring practice. I wish Hyatt was a little bigger than 285 but it's where we are, and the talent, technique, and work ethic are assuredly there...so hey, it's trial by fire for Hyatt. He's definitely going to need some help against the likes of Devante Fields from Louisville so I'd expect to see big doses of Cannon Smith...if Leggett remains indifferent to blocking, plain and simple, he's not going to be on the field, and Wayne Gallman seriously needs to pick it up in terms of pass-pro as well or however productive he is running the ball he's going to be on the bench too.

I think our interior OL can move people and will be solid. My concern is, can we hold up, especially early, at offensive tackle, especially against what's likely to be a vicious Louisville pass rush in Week 3?

thanks for the analysis......it has been

Aug 6, 2015, 10:35 PM

frustrating for the OL to have been a problem area so often in the last few years.....the good news is that if this years OL is only "average to slightly above average", the offense could still average in the high 30's per game. And as you mentioned, it does sound as though the talent level of new recruits is on the rise!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe Gore was the physically most impressive olineman

Aug 6, 2015, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

I have seen in a while at Clemson. The guy chiseled. He's at 297 lbs now and really looks the part. All that hard work has me believing he will be good.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

now I 'm real concerned about Louisville.

Aug 6, 2015, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

It seems as though you have some inside connections
to get the information you shared. Thank you for the breakdown.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man that's a lot of words you used up.***

Aug 6, 2015, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Aug 6, 2015, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

Thats exaxtly the posts i love reading on here Quozzel, very precise but yet to the point, plus no BS that I read on here all the time....anyways as far as you second to last paragraph, I was gonna say something quite similar, maybe we could see more of a TE set with stanton, jj, or like you said cannon smith with a big bod in the back field like dye or some type of FB set. Either way we HAVE to protect #4 with anything & everything we have to accomplish those goals on the wall in THERE locker room!! ALL IN GO TIGERS

So you think our TEs and RBs need to be good blockers ....

Aug 7, 2015, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

That is a good idea.

(BTW point - I am being sarcastic. Agree that Good blocking includes schemes where both the TE and RB are critical. Their missed assignments have the fans screaming at the OL. )

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree with you about the B and B linemen last year

Aug 7, 2015, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: OLine... ]

David never seemed to stay in shape - seemed to have eating problem! and problems with Isiah are well documented.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they're gonna roll the pocket and Watson is gonna run

Aug 7, 2015, 1:05 AM

like he77 and throw howitzers down field

null

probably the biggest question - also worried about

Aug 7, 2015, 2:49 PM

new center and long snapper

hate to see the ball snapped over head in shotgun in the red zone.

kicking game ?

null

our success hinges on whether or not people can get pressure

Aug 7, 2015, 2:51 PM

with 4

if they can, we're in trouble

if they can't, we can be dangerous

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Cervanka - big! could he transfer to O-line?

Aug 7, 2015, 2:58 PM

Just asking? I was impressed at his size and we seem to be well set at D-line!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic