Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rewatched the UNC to study the run game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Rewatched the UNC to study the run game

Oct 1, 2014, 4:14 PM

The Oline did not open huge running lanes but they stayed on blocks and got some push. Would say they played a B to B+ game

RB this is the real issuse. Dj howard has No RB skills. Several times he forced the ball inside instead of bouncing it outside where there was big yards. UNC stacked the box so several times are RB had to make a guy miss, never happened. CJ davidson hits the whole well but like DJ just doesn't have the Vision to be a good RB at this level. I added up that we left about 60 yards on the field by the RB not making the right read.

I really hope we go with Choice and Gallman next game, because after reviewing the film I am certain that DJ and CJ don't have the Skills to get it done for us at RB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Choice made a few decent cuts

Oct 1, 2014, 4:16 PM

I can't get Gallman's drop/fumble/loss-of-9-yards out of my head.

did same thing last night - film study of sorts during a bout of insomnia.

Re: Choice made a few decent cuts

Oct 1, 2014, 4:33 PM

"I can't get Gallman's drop/fumble/loss-of-9-yards out of my head."

You do realize that this was considered an incomplete forward pass, and lost ZERO yards? Right? You didn't miss that did you? Re-watch please if you don't believe me.

No, I believe you, and remember it

Oct 1, 2014, 4:36 PM

Certainly face-palmed before realizing it watching live though.

He was bailed out by it being an incompletion - not by dropping it, haha.

I like the kid (s) - that one just made me cringe.

Did you send your resume to Dabo?***

Oct 1, 2014, 4:19 PM

Re: Did you send your resume to Dabo?***

Oct 1, 2014, 4:21 PM

We have to send a resume every time we want to rewatch certain facets of the game?

That sucks. I don't think the NCAA would approve.

Re: Did you send your resume to Dabo?***

Oct 1, 2014, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Did you send your resume to Dabo?*** ]

I will as soon as you stop kissing his ###, like he is god and can't make a bad decision aka "Cole gives us the best chance to win"

Get a Clue and learn football don't just repeat what people tell you.

"learn football"?? be careful... you didn't say anything

Oct 1, 2014, 4:24 PM

football related in your "i rewatched the run game" post.

anyone can say "better cuts", "didn't block", etc...

give us a real breakdown

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: "learn football"?? be careful... you didn't say anything

Oct 1, 2014, 4:26 PM

I never said the OLine didn't block I said they did a good job at the point of attack. Got a hat on a hat and stayed on there blocks.

what if it's counter and they're supposed to chip to the 2nd

Oct 1, 2014, 4:27 PM

level?

how many times did we run that?

since you watched and took notes and all

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: what if it's counter and they're supposed to chip to the 2nd

Oct 1, 2014, 4:30 PM

We're trying to run counter when we can't even run power? How's that supposed to work? All I see is a buncha half-azzed IZ. But I don't know as much as you so I'm asking.

there's not question we have big issues up front

Oct 1, 2014, 4:33 PM

we shouldn't be running power anyway.. with our personnel and all

I think we could run some counter, especially when the dl is aggressive.

I wish we would run more zone read inside, and read the 1 technique...

bottom line is that if we're gonna run the ball, we need to gain a numbers advantage with motioning and shifting, and try to get LBs eyes in the backfield with midirection

Re: there's not question we have big issues up front

Oct 1, 2014, 4:37 PM

Ok gotcha. I thought we were actually trying to run counter when we're not even certain if our guards can get hat on hat in power. Not that one is harder than the other but they are serial and it was curious. I see now that you were being hypothetical.

Agree about zone read. I think the running gane looks night and day if you can get that rolling.

Re: what if it's counter and they're supposed to chip to the 2nd

Oct 1, 2014, 4:34 PM [ in reply to what if it's counter and they're supposed to chip to the 2nd ]

Do you mean what if its a counter play and the OL was supposed to chip to the 2nd level. We didn't run much if any of that. Looks like we stayed in a zone blocking scheme most of the game. Counter/Misdirection hasn't seem to be a huge part of the offense, and i don't think we have the backs to do it well.

i think we have to have misdirection if we're gonna run the

Oct 1, 2014, 4:35 PM

ball...

we ain't gonna beat nobody hat on hat running power... or even most zone stuff

Re: i think we have to have misdirection if we're gonna run the

Oct 1, 2014, 4:40 PM

Like I was saying go back and watch the Game. The yards were there. I simple jump cut to the outside would have gained alot of yards. there lb and S were crashing down into the A and the B gaps and are running backs were just meeting them in the whole. They had nothing but db's to stop us if we would have broken containment.

Gloves are OFF

Oct 1, 2014, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Did you send your resume to Dabo?*** ]

Who is this babaganoush guy? I like him!

Coach in waiting.***

Oct 1, 2014, 7:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rewatched the UNC to study the run game

UNC sold out to stop the run. They were packing the box, and daring us to throw the ball. I think Chad caught on to this and sent DJ in there to block so we could pick them apart through the air. He's the best blocker we've got at RB, and you have to run a few to keep the defense honest. You also can't sub him in on pass plays and out on runs because that's very predictable also.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:29 PM

Yes its true UNC sold out stop the Run, but there were yards to be had that are RB either didn't see or just didn't have the skills to get.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:34 PM

What I'm saying is this: we don't have the total package in one RB. Right now you can choose an experienced blocker who isn't a great runner or a young guy who's better with the ball in his hands that can't block very well. Chad wasn't concerned with getting yards on the ground. When we ran the ball, the entire purpose was just to keep the defense honest so the passing game could stay wide open.

Oct 1, 2014, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Rewatched the UNC to study the run game ]

Preach it brother!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats a nice message but our C got blown up on pass plays

Oct 1, 2014, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Rewatched the UNC to study the run game ]

they might have sold out to stop the run, but our line just didn't block all that well either.

Oct 1, 2014, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Rewatched the UNC to study the run game ]

You think Chad caught on??? Think??? Did you see the first play? They knew what was happening from the start.

Just think how many points we could have scored if they

Oct 1, 2014, 7:19 PM

didn't know! 80, 90?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know this is a long shot, but

Dorian O'Daniel went to HS near where I live. When he committed, I went and saw him play twice, because I also wanted to see Kendall Fuller, as I thought we were going to get him too. Dorian is an effortless runner with very good vision. I wonder if they'd consider moving him back there for the rest of the season until we can get Dye back and coach up Choice and Gallman?

Re: I know this is a long shot, but

Its not the talent at any position! Its the play design and play calling. I put our running woes 100% on the coaches. Everything takes way too long to develope and so easy to read. Chad gets tunnel vision, especially in a tight game. Every time we struggle offensively you watch the play calling its obvious where the problem is. I love chad as our coordinator, he just over complicates everything and tries to use too much smoke and mirror crap. Want to fix our run game? Line up and go old school like wisconsin and arkansas. Quick handoff and hit the hole hard and low. Our guys dance and wait for hole to open and by then theyre covered up!

I'm glad we have experts here on T-net... We'd be lost without them!!!

Thank you...

Oct 1, 2014, 6:23 PM

for the mindless, pointless, useless pumpercomment.

Now, back to the actual discussion of Tiger football.

CJ has also lost a step from last year

clearly visible on film from the OhSt game.

Choice is the only RB we have

Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM

Other than Dye

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's too slow

Oct 1, 2014, 6:04 PM

and doesn't possess that burst that quality RB's have. He's strong but don't see him as the answer. Gallman has more upside at this stage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The offensive line has to pull and trap to create a gap, and

Oct 1, 2014, 6:08 PM

the back has to be right there to pop through. It ain't happening.

OL is not drive blocking like it should and a few QB reads??

Oct 1, 2014, 6:51 PM

Guys, one of the announcers made a statement about our linemen not coming off the ball and driving the defensive line with very much push, he was right. The other issue is Watson's reads, he should have kept the ball on 4-5 of the read options, we ran the option one time and before he pitched the RB was covered up, the QB should keep and turn it up and get what he can. That is to be expected with a young QB!

The but here is we do not have a stud back that can take 20 to 25 carries a game, Zac Brooks would have helped, but I doubt that even he is that kind of back for us.

Go with the youth, Choice and Gallman, they have to get in a rhythm and none of our backs are afforded that luxury, but if they are going to get better they have to get carries!

Hope Dye comes on like gang busters!

Oct 1, 2014, 6:58 PM

Thank You. That is what I've been telling all the OL sucks crowd. You aren't going to be able to drive a truck through most holes. You do however have to SEE the hole first then HIT IT like you stole the Mona Lisa and are trying to escape. A good back would have easily picked up yards in all of our games this year. The OL still needs to improve its blocking,but holes are there for the running!

It's a timing issue, especially if you don't have a

Oct 1, 2014, 7:05 PM

powerful O line and backs.

A powerful O line will create bigger gaps for a longer period of time.

A powerful back will hit the secondary and drag linebackers before he goes down.

If you have neither, you have to get the timing exactly right.

In both cases, you sometimes get lucky for the big one. The wider the gap and the more powerful the back, the luckier you get.

Again, I completely disagree.

Oct 1, 2014, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Rewatched the UNC to study the run game ]

Well, almost completely. We don't have a great, explosive RB like Spiller/Ellington/Davis, etc., I'll give you that. Even still, our OL is NOT creating holes at all, and they do not hold blocks very long at all, and linebackers make plays at or near the line of scrimmage without being touched, and our QB consistently gets quick pressure from a 4-man rush (he's not holding onto the ball too long - he just doesn't have much time).

Would our running game be better with an explosive, elite RB? Sure - but Our O-line would still be a big problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't think we are in disagreement.***

Oct 2, 2014, 6:27 AM

I could not disagree more.

Oct 1, 2014, 7:37 PM

Did we see the same game? I had already rewatched it, and I just rewatched some of it again to make sure.

On our second drive:
D-Lineman sheds a block and gets a tackle for a gain of 3. Next play: LB goes unblocked and makes tackle for a gain of 3. Next play: penalty, -5. Next play: UNC rushes 4, pushes straight through and gets the sack in under 3 seconds. Punt.

In the next drive:

DL sheds a block, stops Choice for no gain.

DL gets quick pressure on watson w/4-man rush.

LB and safety go untouched and tackle Humphries for a loss.

O-line unable to create any hole, Choice hits resistance at the line and fights for gain of 3.

Watson gets pressure from 4-man rush in under 3 seconds and has to scramble and throw the ball away.

It was this way most of the night. Our O-line did okay occasionally, but most of our success was due to Watson performing in spite of the pressure and in spite of no run game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic