Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:22 AM

All most all lefties are not Christians. They are also a lot of teachers in this room that have a lot of time to post in here and I assume other places while they should be teaching young minds but on the other hand do you want them to teach your children?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have learned a lot on this board

Nov 17, 2020, 9:27 AM

about myself, and about the world, and don't really focus on negatives I see in other posters here.

Re: I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:29 AM

I have learned that a lot of people on the right are in FACT NOT CHRISTIANS at all, just a bunch of whiney hypocrites that know jack squat about what Jesus stood for and just use it as a banner of moral superiority, again something Christ would not approve of.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 9:35 AM

The only thing you need to know about Jesus is he died for you. Believe in him and you will have everlasting life. Its that simple. You can make excuses I know I did for sometime but it is as simple as that. Do I believe in all the teaching of the church no not one bit.

If you're going to claim to be a Christian...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:41 AM

Start acting like one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Nov 17, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board. ]

Jesus would not approve of you haunting chat boards and referring to women as Camel toe Harris.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 9:36 AM

OC,

If you are referring to me, I am retired. What do YOU do for a living ??

Nov 17, 2020, 9:42 AM

Retired but was an Electronic engineer.

Maybe I don't want...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:44 AM

Someone who doesn't fully value science designing electrical systems!11!!

See how silly that sounds? Don't say the similar things about people regarding their jobs and religious beliefs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Maybe I don't want...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:53 AM

I love science and support science. Science has not proven that God does not exist or that Jesus was not the son of God no matter how hard some have tried.

I'm not shocked that you're missing the point.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:55 AM

But let me spell it out.

My first sentence was sarcasm and meant to mimic your ridiculous OP. Stop suggesting people shouldn't hold certain jobs for their beliefs.

Unless you want to argue that Rob Spence shouldn't hold a coaching job for all those ###### screen passes.

You sure are a judgmental one here

Nov 17, 2020, 9:40 AM

And firstly, you're not a Christian. I know you think you are one, but your behavior is not Christ-like.

Actually, I've been quite surprised how many conservatives here have admitted they aren't Christian. That just goes to show you can't put everyone in a neat little box and make assumptions about what they believe.

Finally, anyone who claims to be a Christian and views non-Christians as some kind of enemy or lesser people isn't actually a Christian. That's you.

Anyone here to claims to be one and demonizes people for their different political opinions or labels them as some sort of enemy of America also isn't one. That's a nice little group of people here.

If you would like some Bible passages on what Jesus said about how to treat people of all walks of life, I would be happy to educate you.

Re: You sure are a judgmental one here

Nov 17, 2020, 9:45 AM

To be a Christian and believe you don't have to be perfect no one is perfect on earth today. The only perfect person I know of got nailed to a cross. You don't know what is in my heart or mind.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:47 AM

I know your mind is very discriminatory and hateful towards those who aren't the same as you. This is not the first time you have attacked posters for not following your religion, and thus casting doubt on how well you even follow it.

If you want anyone here to actually believe you're a Christian, start acting like it. That starts with not attacking those who aren't Christian and hinting they shouldn't hold the jobs they hold.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:11 AM

I am just trying to figure out how we get to where we are today. I should not blame people I do not know that is for sure. I can tell you this about the public school system my kids went to and it was not good. My oldest son was excited to start school he was going to learn. Well he found out that he was learning nothing and was disruptive in the class room. We had a talk with him and he said they were learning the colors and he knew them by the time he was 2 and ABC he knew by the time he was 3. We had a talk with the principle and the answer was they take one kid that has high scores and put them with one that has lowers scores so the high score kid can bring the low score kid up to speed. We later found out that a teachers salary and raises depended on test score @ the end of they year. They did one kid with high scores and the one kid with low scores together so the teachers could get raises. That is just wrong for the kids. I could not tell you how many teachers thanked us for all our kids scores so they could get the raise over the years. That is what I meant by how did we get here but I do know how we got to where we are today. The public school system.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:32 AM

I almost forgot. The test scores are so low now the great idea is do away with standardized testing, SAT and ACT. That just sounds like a wonderful idea and will turn out amazing.

Interestingly

Nov 17, 2020, 10:34 AM

Multiple studies have shown that ACT and SAT scores are poor predictors as to a student's success in college. They are much less predictive than high school GPA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interestingly

Nov 17, 2020, 10:41 AM

I guess it would depend on who did the study and the reason for the study. It also might depend on the major someone might be taking in college. If you take underwater basket weaving then those test would not matter.

Of course, studies should be critiqued

Nov 17, 2020, 10:51 AM

I'm not advocating for removal of the SAT/ACT, I'm pointing out that there is data out there that is indicating it may not be as predictive as it was initially touted.

I also find it interesting that you immediately jump to doubting/questioning these studies (which of course if just fine), but have you stopped to ask yourself why you ever thought these tests useful in the first place? Have you considered there is a HUGE industry in place now operating these tests (and for high profit) that has a strong self-interest in continuing their use?

Maybe they are great tools. I can speak only speak for my limited research and anecdotal evidence, but I don't feel so strongly that they are, and I definitely can see the want/need/desire to reform the secondary education and the admission process.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interestingly

Nov 17, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Interestingly ]

It could also do with the person going to college. Kids that have lived a shelter life and get to college and find out about drug and other thing they did not have be around @ home. They are a lot of factors that go into someone's performance in College and test scores are not one of them.

Wait

Nov 17, 2020, 10:57 AM

Are you really arguing that SAT/ACT scores are not the only (and perhaps not the best) predictive elements to college success?

What a novel idea... perhaps one that is being used to question the necessity of those tests existence?

Re: Wait

Nov 17, 2020, 11:07 AM

He's also somehow arguing that these test scores factor into teacher salaries, which they don't, so I don't know where he's making that up from.

And somehow we've segued into this when his OP was to attack people who aren't Christian. He's just changing the subject now.

Re: Wait

Nov 17, 2020, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Wait ]

The people that are asking the question are mostly the ones that did not score as high as they thought they should have scored. Just a thought.

How we got to where we are today?

Nov 17, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: You sure are a judgmental one here ]

Compared to what? What glorious, wonderful time in American history do you think tops today?

All that other stuff you listed has nothing to do with religion, which was your main point. And public school teachers' salaries are not tied in to test scores, so that's made up.

God will judge us based on what is in our heart...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: You sure are a judgmental one here ]

People can only judge our words and actions. That's all they'll see, so that's all they can go on. I have to make sure my actions are up to snuff, not for me, but for them.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:44 AM

I am conservative and a Christian. However, I know plenty of people who are quite liberal and yet are Christian. They walk the walk.Public policy views for the most part have very little to do with religion. The Klan proudly supports Christianity and the cross is featured by them. I'm not sure what your point is. Conservatism and Liberalism is sometimes hard to define too. Again, I vote for what I perceive as "conservative" policies, but sometimes that line is fuzzy. I am against jumping into foreign wars as we often have do. Is that a conservative or liberal view. I think the military would say that's a cautious conservative view. I am for protecting our public lands, clean air, clean water, etc. Seems to me that is the essence of conservatism. I suspect you're a good person. Just be careful about lumping political views with religious ones. As Justice Scalia said, "Some very good people have some very bad ideas." It's in the eye of the beholder who has the bad ideas. Christians are not a monolithic block although I will concede that Evangelicals have more often than not supported the GOP, mainly over abortion which is up to state governments and ultimately the Supreme Court, not any President or Congressman.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 9:50 AM

I cannot see how anyone that is a Christian can support most of the dems polices. This board is a small sample but very surprising. One question that was asked do you believe in the after life? Just very surprised @ the answers in here.

Nov 17, 2020, 9:54 AM

It sounds like you need more time in Sunday School or another church if you're having trouble grasping that. Or maybe spend more time with people of other walks of life.

And finally, don't worry about what other people believe. It doesn't hurt you or affect you. You drop hints as if you want those people to be punished for what they believe.

Interesting, I'll bite

Nov 17, 2020, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board. ]

"I cannot see how anyone that is a Christian can support most of the dems polices."

I'd love to hear your list of "dem" policies that you think are incongruous with my Christian faith.

Re: Interesting, I'll bite

Nov 17, 2020, 10:15 AM

If I have to tell you then you have blinders on.

Ok, but that was a good faith question

Nov 17, 2020, 10:17 AM

You can choose not to answer it, but I'd argue you only weaken any point you are attempting to make.

Re: Ok, but that was a good faith question

Nov 17, 2020, 10:20 AM

Well tell me what policies are in line with the Christian faith.

Re: Ok, but that was a good faith question

Nov 17, 2020, 10:20 AM

2 way street.

Nope.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:27 AM

YOU are the one who made the claim that his belief in certain policies don't mesh with Christianity. The burden is on YOU to prove that statement. Don't deflect.

Re: Nope.

Nov 17, 2020, 10:56 AM

Nope I made the statement so prove me wrong. I am a big boy I can handle the truth.

Because Jesus thinks the Democrats are best

Nov 17, 2020, 11:00 AM

Prove me wrong.

See how stupid that sounds?

And lest someone think I'm serious the subject is obvious satire.

That's not how this works.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Nope. ]

You're not the first one to weasel out of this when challenged on this board, but you don't get to deflect here.

You made the accusation. You made the claim. You were challenged to prove it. Continued failure to do so is simply your admission that you don't know what you're talking about.

Odd, you make a statement, and I ask for clarification

Nov 17, 2020, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Ok, but that was a good faith question ]

And for some reason you are unable or unwilling to do so.

You are attempting to argue that most of the democratic policies are incongruous with my Christian faith. If "most" of them are, then it should be easy for you to clarify your point.

As way of my answer, I'd argue most political positions of any party fit within political convictions and generally do not interfere with what I interpret as principle issues of Faith. Which, seeing as how you've said multiple times in this thread that the only central point of Christian Faith is a belief in the Godhood and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, I'd think you'd agree with.

So again, where is the list of Democratic policies you feel should violate principles of my Christian faith?

Re: Odd, you make a statement, and I ask for clarification

Nov 17, 2020, 11:00 AM

Prove me wrong then if you are a true Christian it should be easy to tell me and I am all ears.

Re: Odd, you make a statement, and I ask for clarification

Nov 17, 2020, 11:01 AM

In this case all eyes.

"I made an outrageous claim...

Nov 17, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Odd, you make a statement, and I ask for clarification ]

And now, instead of proving my claim, I'm demanding you prove me wrong!"

Translation: "I don't really know how to answer that."***

Nov 17, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting, I'll bite ]

Likely clarifying translation...

Nov 17, 2020, 10:32 AM

"I've been told by conservative media who have co-opted my Faith to rally folks to their side that the other side is godless"

Re: Likely clarifying translation...

Nov 17, 2020, 11:02 AM

If the other side is for murder than they might have a point.

I genuinely mean this

Nov 17, 2020, 11:15 AM

If you are not a troll...
if you are actually serious in the points you've espoused here on this thread...

I believe you've bought a lie. You've been sold a belief that your Faith is intrinsically linked to modern American conservatism. I am not your enemy. I do not hate conservative views. I do not hate folks who hold them. I'm only honestly asking you to reflect on what political position you feel democrats hold that would make you question their Faith. You've said there are a bunch, and if you are going to be carrying this out in good faith then it is now on you to express them.

Otherwise it seems clear you are either trolling or you've simply been convinced through contrived talking points that the other political side is your enemy and incapable of sharing a common Faith. That is a very dangerous and destructive idea.

Re: I genuinely mean this

Nov 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

Maybe you don't believe but when a pollical party is for late term abortions how can this be part of the Christian faith? Just asking.

OK, so single issue?

Nov 17, 2020, 11:46 AM

Honestly, the abortion issue troubles me. Perhaps not in the way it troubles you, but it does trouble me.

And I'll answer my position here in a moment. But first I'd like to point out once again you've provided a single issue and not a list of Democratic positions you'd feel would be incongruous with my Faith. (And again in a thread where you seem to imply the only litmus test for our seemingly shared Faiths is the belief in Jesus Christ, which I find strange).

As for abortion, I don't believe (have not been convinced) that EVERY stage along the spectrum from germinal to embryonic to fetal represents a human life imbued with a soul. Perhaps I am wrong there, but I see no reason to believe that when a woman miscarries at 3 weeks it is the loss of a human soul. So in my conviction there clearly must be some point on the spectrum where there wasn't and then there was. So, yes I wrestle with that.

But as I'm wrestling with that I also have to recognize the other issues that I believe my perspective on Faith draws clear. Again, these are only my perspectives, but you asked (and I'll take your request as an honest inquiry). I believe caring for the weak, the sick, and those who society consider the lesser is directly commanded to us. And as a society we're doing a poor job of that. No party has a monopoly on trying their approach, and no party has a monopoly on failing, but in this current political climate I do see more and more verbiage coming from the politically conservative folks abdicating this responsibility by demonizing these people rather than helping them.

I'm proud of the country I live in for it's stated ideals, but I've grown tired of those leaning right creating an environment where criticism is considered unpatriotic and admission of failures to live up to those ideals is labeled almost treason.

But I'm digressing from the point of your question. I've answered with my view of abortion. Any other issues or is your view of my faith as it relates to my political viewpoints driven by a single issue and not (as you said before) most of the democratic policies.

Re: OK, so single issue?

Nov 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Ok so you say no to late term abortion but that is one of your parties big platforms. So now you give me one policy that is of Christian values an not one both parties agree on like we need to do something about poverty.

You're still not getting this

Nov 17, 2020, 12:40 PM

First late term abortion is not some tent-pole big democratic policy. Most of theses talking points come from a discussion of Virginia's latest legislation which has been mischaracterized as allowing abortion moments before birth, which is simply untrue. That didn't stop numerous conservative talking heads and politicians from making the claim and spreading it, and you've bought it.

And I find it interesting that you use the argument of "late term" abortions as some sort of gotcha. Do you believe abortion should be illegal and criminalized in all instances? Not sure why, but I'm interested in you answer.

But to the entire point of this thread.

You made an assertion (Most democratic policies are incongruous with Christian faith).

You've provided one issue that you feel applies, and thus your assertion remains unsupported.

I didn't put this in the last post, but I do find it interesting on the subject of abortion that very little of the discussion from conservative talking points is about policies and processes that can be put in place to diminish the need/demand for them.

But enough rambling with you. Either provide your list of issues, or note that your assertion remains unsubstantiated.

Re: You're still not getting this

Nov 17, 2020, 12:44 PM

This is a 2 way street. I point out one and you cannot give me one that is of Christian values. With that beings said you are admitting to you cannot even find one.

That's not how civil debates work

Nov 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

Person A makes an assertion.
Person B requests evidence for that assertion.

Person A now either provides such evidence or the assertion remains unsubstantiated.
Person B is not on the hook for disproving the assertion (especially if Person A refuses to clarify the points of his assertion).

I've taken you at good faith to this point, but I'm not going to engage in any more of this without you playing by the general rules of civil discourse.

Re: That's not how civil debates work

Nov 17, 2020, 1:06 PM

You are looking @ it all wrong. subject A makes a statement about one group of people then subject B said it is not true. Subject A proves that subject B agrees with him then A asked subject B to show anything from a certain group to prove subject's A statement wrong. Subject B refuses because he has no proof to discount subject A's statement.

I'm done

Nov 17, 2020, 1:12 PM

This is where your logic falls apart
"Subject A proves that subject B agrees with him"

Hasn't happened.

Re: I'm done

Nov 17, 2020, 1:15 PM

Ok you agree with late term abortion then?

Nov 17, 2020, 1:15 PM

Its a yes or no question.

Nov 17, 2020, 1:16 PM

Any answer you loose. Next.

Nov 17, 2020, 1:33 PM

Like my Daddy always said if people think the are a lot smarter than you then its not hard from them to out dumb you. Good job.

Nov 17, 2020, 5:28 PM [ in reply to I'm done ]

Thom,

I have appreciated your comments and your patience. I am afraid that your lessons about logical discourse will fall on some deaf ears here. but thanks for trying.

Nov 17, 2020, 5:32 PM

You are so sweet to take up for Tom. I am sure he cannot take care of himself.

Nov 17, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm done ]

My daddy saying goes for you too.

“I have to admit that I have learned a lot from this board.”

Nov 17, 2020, 9:56 AM

Narrator: He didn’t

except how to spell 'almost'***

Nov 17, 2020, 10:16 AM

I have learned to ..............

Nov 17, 2020, 11:07 AM

stay away as much as possible. ;)

I mean I prefer to talk about boobies, beer, dogs and food.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My pastor said it best- if your stances on political issues align

Nov 17, 2020, 12:01 PM

perfectly with one political party, you don’t align perfectly with Christianity. Both parties have stances on issues that align with Christian beliefs. Christian beliefs do not entirely align with one party or the other.

Re: My pastor said it best- if your stances on political issues align

Nov 17, 2020, 12:34 PM

When one party is for murder it kind of is there Ok.

On that issue they go against Christian beliefs. On other issues

Nov 17, 2020, 12:47 PM

they align very well with Christian beliefs.

They actually don't.

Nov 17, 2020, 1:03 PM

It depends on your interpretation and understanding of Christian doctrines.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic