»
Topic: OHST's Chase Young Suspended
Replies: 38   Last Post: Nov 13, 2019 6:04 PM by: Touch_The_Rock79
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 38  

OHST's Chase Young Suspended

[2]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:33 PM

...for ONE more game - not 3.

Better be glad be wasn't caught with Ostarine!!

He's out for the Rutgers game!! Wow!!

2020 orange level member

Should he have been suspended at all?

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:35 PM

I would probably say no.

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Exactly what I would expect a Bucknut to say

[4]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:43 PM

smh

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Good gracious. How can a grown man look at himself

[2]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:47 PM

in the mirror wearing all of that before leaving for the game and think "yep, I'm looking awesome today?"

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Good gracious. How can a grown man look at himself

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:19 PM

that's the university president.

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:21 PM

I really dislike the amount of tv time given to these costume wearing, body painting bozos. They are nothing but self promoters and they are always on the front row.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:32 PM

The secret is don't look in the mirror. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone ok?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

Yes

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:52 PM

If the family friend was a booster or agent.

Dunno why the kid didn't just go get a loan from Stafford. He gave me all kinds of loans and even deferred the payment until I graduated.

Why should he be able to violate NCAA eligibility rules and

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 2:41 PM

maintain his eligibility? The appeal should have been a 5 word sentence, "Did you take the money?" If the answer is yes, he should have been done, period.

Agree, and since he didn't "take" money, then he

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 3:51 PM

should not have been suspended. I'm glad we're on the same page here.

Show me where in the rulebook it says you can "borrow"

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 3:57 PM

money from a "family friend" and maintain your eligibility

Sure thing. It's rule 16.11.1.3

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 4:07 PM

16.11 - Benefits, Gifts and Services

16.11.1 - Permissible

16.11.1.3 - Loan from established family friend

Does the fact that he "established" this "family friend" the

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 4:46 PM

summer after he committed to OSU not smell even a little fishy? If he thought everything he did was above board, why did he openly apologize for his mistake?

No, it does not smell fishy to me. My family establishes

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:09 PM

new friendships all the time. The fact that he borrowed money to help purchase a plane ticket so his girlfriend could see him play in the Rose Bowl, and paid the guy back in full over the summer does not seem like something that should warrant a suspension at all, much less 2 games. It also seems like, if the NCAA were to take a case-by-case approach to instances like this, they would be able to verify the accuracy of his story. As for the apology, I don't know the kid so you'd have to ask him that question. If I had to make a guess, I would think that he didn't want to be silent on it, and be able to control the message seeing as how he is one of the top defensive players in the country, on one of the best teams in the country and has been in Heisman discussions. It probably shows a level of maturity as well.

Re: No, it does not smell fishy to me. My family establishes

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:28 PM

GWPTiger® said:

new friendships all the time. The fact that he borrowed money to help purchase a plane ticket so his girlfriend could see him play in the Rose Bowl, and paid the guy back in full over the summer does not seem like something that should warrant a suspension at all, much less 2 games. It also seems like, if the NCAA were to take a case-by-case approach to instances like this, they would be able to verify the accuracy of his story. As for the apology, I don't know the kid so you'd have to ask him that question. If I had to make a guess, I would think that he didn't want to be silent on it, and be able to control the message seeing as how he is one of the top defensive players in the country, on one of the best teams in the country and has been in Heisman discussions. It probably shows a level of maturity as well.

Agree wholeheartedly. I think it's absurd to punish this or any other kid for a situation like that. Frankly, if he borrowed money from a family friend its none of the NCAA's business.

It's stupid rulings like this that will eventually upend the 'student-athlete' model and college football will move closer to an NFL model. Then we will have lost one of the most beautiful games ever.

2020 orange level member

Once Clemso(Dabo) decided to fight it,

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:38 PM

the only 2 options were nothing or the full year suspension. They weren't cutting it in half once they were questioned.

To those questuioning whether Young should be suspendfed at all. If something is against the rules, opinions don't matter.

The NCAA rules should not be so black and white

There should be some measure of circumstance and intent taken into consideration. I would apply that to both cases.

Re: The NCAA rules should not be so black and white

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:57 PM

Agreed! You need look no further than how our guys were giving those considerations after testing positive for trace amounts of ostarine last year, right?!

You are SO spot on! Brilliant, to say the least...

2020 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

That's the point. Those considerations should have been

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:07 PM

made in both cases. Especially in light of numerous instances in other sports where players' suspensions for trace amounts of ostarine were overturned.

Re: That's the point. Those considerations should have been

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:16 PM

Mea Culpa.

My sarcasm meter hasn’t been updated for DST. Or is it EDT. Wait, I mean EST. . .

2020 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yes, by all means, we should insert more wiggle room into

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 2:44 PM

questions of eligibility where money/"loans" are concerned...What could possibly go wrong?

Or what could go right? You know, like the NCAA reviewing

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 3:49 PM

the case and determining that a player borrowing money from a family friend (and promptly paying it back) to help pay for a plane ticket for his girlfriend to watch his game did not really have any bearing on eligibility issues and passes a common sense test, and then let the kid keep playing. Zero tolerance without examining circumstances and intent is ridiculous.

Yeah, but the thing is, if you show ANY tolerance, you can't

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 3:55 PM

call it a Zero Tolerance policy

Yes, and that's why I said zero tolerance is ridiculous***

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 4:28 PM

Re: Memphis with Wiseman

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 12:45 PM

is just thumbing their nose at the NCAA. Hardaway was a booster and is the coach. They are playing him anyway and if the NCAA knuckles under here they are done. This one after caving on UNC will neuter them enforcement wise

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

There's no eye test for the rules?***

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:21 PM

2020 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.

Re: OHST's Chase Young Suspended

Listen. The game is in Piscataway, which means OSU will only win it by 50.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:30 PM

My grandma will also not be playing in the Rutgers game. But both of the Rutgers fans are pretty ferocious, they can be very loud if they take the lead.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 1:57 PM

So that is who will see in the first round of the playoff. Thats who Jackson Carman needs to be ready for.

2020 white level member

Gotta love the NCAA.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 4:50 PM

He gets a "loan" from a "family friend" so his girlfriend can go to the Rose Bowl with him.

NCAA give him a two week vacation (oops, "suspension") so he can get a nice little rest while his team plays Maryland and Rutgers. He will return from his well earned vacation just in time for Penn State and Michigan.

Gotta love the NCAA.

The funny part is that if this were Isaiah Simmons who

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:13 PM

borrowed a couple hundred bucks from a family friend to fly his girlfriend to watch him play in the National Championship game and got suspended for 2 games, tnet would go insane posting about what a joke the NCAA is and how what he did is no big deal. But because it's Chase Young, people on this board think he should be suspended for the rest of the year.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

Re: The funny part is that if this were Isaiah Simmons who

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:36 PM

First, someone had to define "family friend". I don't know how to do that, nor does anyone else except the people that make the rule. If the person meets that criteria, then fine, everything is above board. If not, then the rules have to be enforced. Making up definitions and rules as something progresses does not cut it. In this case, I do not know which is the case except to say the NCAA does not have a great record of equitable rules enforcement.

This is just my opinion, but I have to think that the reason

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:44 PM

Chase Young was only suspended for 2 games as opposed to being ruled ineligible for the rest of the season is because the NCAA found everything to be above board. Had the family friend been a booster, or connected to the University, I doubt he would be allowed to play again this year.

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:39 PM

I agree Tnet would go crazy. The problem is that the NCAA is not consistent with their "punishment". Simmons would probably be ruled ineligible and not allowed to play. We would also have to forfeit wins too. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but there is a double standard when it comes to certain schools. I feel like if the kid borrowed the money and paid it back then there is no issue here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

I don't necessarily disagree, but we've seen the NCAA go

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:42 PM

after some really big schools like Ohio State, (the real) USC, Penn State, etc. I think if the situations were exactly the same we would be treated the same way.

Re: I don't necessarily disagree, but we've seen the NCAA go

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:45 PM

If we are found doing wrong then we should be punished. That is why the UNCheat fiasco burns my butt to this day. Clemson would have to close the doors if we were caught cheating like that. LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:49 PM

I’m not sure if you’re aware or not, but the NCAA is and has been very harsh to Ohio State historically.

Do yourself a favor and go look into how many NCAA employees are Michigan grads. It’s alarming.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 5:39 PM

I agree Tnet would go crazy. The problem is that the NCAA is not consistent with their "punishment". Simmons would probably be ruled ineligible and not allowed to play. We would also have to forfeit wins too. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but there is a double standard when it comes to certain schools. I feel like if the kid borrowed the money and paid it back then there is no issue here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 6:04 PM

I agree, the NCAA has so many double standards and inconsistency that they may as well not exist at all. If it were a Clemson player, they would have been suspended for a year with no chance to appeal and would probably have a full fledge investigation headed our way. The Tar Heels on the other hand...

Replies: 38  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: I pay 3600 a year Pay half and can buy 4 tickets lower deck on about 30 yd line at the cost of seas...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
3614 people have read this post