Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O-line got a lot of blame. What about the WR corps?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

O-line got a lot of blame. What about the WR corps?

Jan 5, 2018, 11:06 AM

For a group of highly rated guys, they just couldn't get open even when Bryant had some time.

This was an issue in other games as well. Some of them didn't rise to their potential this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: O-line got a lot of blame. What about the WR corps?

Jan 5, 2018, 11:12 AM

I can't agree with you on this one. The issue was not getting open in other games, it was the fact that KB could not consistently deliver down the field on target. That's not the WR's fault

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The throws were on target

Jan 5, 2018, 9:00 PM

Just way behind schedule ...:(

It was tough to watch , but KB did the best with what he had ...

There was enough hangtime on his passes that I could have made one of those interceptions ... he just doesn’t have the zip of DW4... or Trevor Lawrence

Jan 5, 2018, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: O-line got a lot of blame. What about the WR corps? ]

I don't think Bryant had enough time. I kept seeing Alabama all over the backfield especially from the right tackle. It was just a rough night all around.

That corp was a core issue

Jan 5, 2018, 11:12 AM

Our 3 starting WRs suffer from the same problem, lack of physicality. That is why Mike Williams and Artavis Scott were actually better against Bama. Rodgers, Powell, Higgins, Overton and Chase should have seen more time to balance out the physical Alabama secondary.

Snowflake Basher........Out

GTrip - hypothesis does not hold with H. Renfrow

Jan 5, 2018, 8:05 PM

DW had no problem finding him against two better Bama D's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think our offensive game-plan deserves most of the blame.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:16 AM

Intense pressure eventually causes pocket breakdowns. It is up to coaches (and QB's) to make adjustments to reduce that pressure to make in manageable. If the generals put elite soldiers/marines in a bad situation, even the bravest and most skilled warriors will succumb to the situation.

I'm not saying the OL doesn't deserve blame, but the fact we did not develop even the threat of a deep ball, and we never got any good chunk plays, made it impossible for our OL to do their jobs effectively.

ANd I know the whole point of your post is to try and share the blame with WRs, so this is not directed at your point. It's just an attempt to add another layer to your point.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think our offensive game-plan deserves most of the blame.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

OCs, hope they go to Lincoln Riley 101.His offense is dynamic and powerful.

Lincoln Riley 101..... worked in the first half....but he

Jan 5, 2018, 12:37 PM

forgot he had the Heisman winning Senior QB and thought he had a running team......smh

play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around...

Jan 5, 2018, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I think our offensive game-plan deserves most of the blame. ]

have poor footwork and handwork. Oline played good this season, although never overpowering (we should have at least 3 more games breaking the 300 yard mark), but reverted back to terrible fundamentals in the Bama. The oline has never played well as a unit since Robbie Caldwell has been oline coach

never?***

Jan 5, 2018, 12:10 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around...

Jan 5, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around... ]

> have poor footwork and handwork. Oline played good
> this season, although never overpowering (we should
> have at least 3 more games breaking the 300 yard
> mark), but reverted back to terrible fundamentals in
> the Bama. The oline has never played well as a unit
> since Robbie Caldwell has been oline coach

Most observers think Robbie Caldwell is a pretty durn good OL coach. He's a bit laid-back and does not exactly tear it up on the recruiting trail - Sam Pittman at UGA owned him head-to-head this year and already has some big leads on some 2019 guys, which I'm less than crazy about (how many can UGA sign, c'mon, Robbie, get it in gear!) but as far as OL coaching goes we've had a pretty durn good unit the last couple years.

Go look at the tape from the LSU game when LSU was still a superpower. We got destroyed up front; Tajh Boyd was nothing short of superhuman that night and it still took a last-second figgie for us to win. They were that much better than us up front.

We're way past that now, and Robbie's coached up a bunch of guys who were not high-end-of-the-draft into a very functional unit, and he's played a bunch of guys, which has saved wear and tear on the group, limited injuries, and given us plenty of depth for the future. Biggest problem is he just hasn't been landing the Salyers and Cade Mays for the most part.

Be interesting to see if Jackson Carman changes things. We just haven't had one of those true behemoth franchise-LT-types on the OL before.

Jan 5, 2018, 2:01 PM

Who are these 2019 guys you think the mutts have big leads on? From what I've seen we seem to be pretty confident in guys like Harry Miller. There's always a chance more of them get "transportation issues" but they've signed 11 OL the last 2 years and they can't possibly process them all out even if they want to.

Jan 5, 2018, 2:29 PM

Well they already have commitments from 3 of the top 10 players for 2019, but none of them are OL. Considering they got 3 of the top 20 O linemen in 2107 and 3 of the top 6 O linemen for 2018 + another highly rated 4 Star plus what they already have, i’m not sure they need to take that many OL for 2019. Their OL will be a beast for the next couple of years already.

I just hope we can step it up on getting some more elite O linemen. I have no clue if they could get them or not but I would be going all out on a push to try and get uncommitted 5* OT Nicholas Piete-Frere and 4* OG Sewell. I would also see if there was any chance with 4* OTs Barnes, Walker, and Wonnum, and 4* OG Jenkins. Wonnum mainly to see if we could prevent the Coots from getting the #16 ranked OT. Any of those would be a great addition and be better than our #2 O lineman in this class #84 position ranked McFadden.

Jan 5, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around... ]

YEP I REMEMBER NOT LONG AGO COACH BATSON WAS THE GUY THAT DID NOT KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING FOR YOU GOOBERS. HOW HAS THAT WORKED OUT FOR YOU. GOT TO LOVE THE MOT. HOW OH HOW DID WE WIN 40 GAMES THE LAST 3 YEARS WITH THAT AWFUL OLINE.

It can definitely contribute to the Oline looking that way.

Jan 5, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around... ]

Think about it, it's not like the Oline decides to try some times and not others. It's not like they forget how to block.

Part of the extreme difference in appearance of Oline performances from game to game has to do with match-ups, schemes, and predictability.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If The OL line play was as bad as your thoughts and posts

Jan 5, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to play calling ain’t an excuse for the oline to stand around... ]

we would never have been in THREE National Championship playoffs, winning one. Also THREE ACC championships. What have your coots accomplished???

What about the fans? If clemson fans really wanted

Jan 5, 2018, 11:26 AM

To win they would have bought all the tickets at any cost.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Bama fans seemed more in to it at the game. Maybe they just

Jan 5, 2018, 11:38 AM

had more to cheer about, or maybe it was because they were facing me.

Spending my $$ on private school & college savings for kids

Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 PM [ in reply to What about the fans? If clemson fans really wanted ]

Much better long term investment ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 11:37 AM

I agree that WRU needs to get more physical. These guys have a ton of talent but are nit able too go get contested balls like Mike, Nuk, Sammy etc. hopefully another year in weight room will help.

I honestly wonder if we have too many receivers in rotation. It’s an advantage in wearing the other team down but wonder if it cost us something in reps and development?

Only WR that underperformed was Dieon Cain...

Jan 5, 2018, 11:41 AM

The rest all played good. We are still young at that position and 10 deep. WR’s were not an issue this year, outside of Cain.

Cain led the team by far with 6 catches for 75 yards ...

Jan 5, 2018, 3:07 PM

but don't let stats get in the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. We didn't have the size and strength at WR to get

Jan 5, 2018, 12:39 PM

open quickly and get YAC against the aggressive clutching, grabbing and holding style of Alabama's secondary to execute a quick passing attack against them and negate some of that rush. Our oline and wide receivers were manhandled.

We need some big strong receivers that are "open" when covered and strong enough to pull it in while being grabbed and a QB that can put the ball in the right spots. Tee Higgins may have helped if he had not been injured, but we should be bigger and stronger(with some experience) at wide out next year.

Perhaps our offensive line will be a bit more talented and athletic next year to go with a more efficient passing attack. We should definitely be better offensively with our now-experienced skill players along with some new and talented players coming in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure we did, they just didn't get much of an opportunity***

Jan 5, 2018, 1:56 PM

Overton was grossly underused this season

Jan 5, 2018, 12:50 PM

I've seen him get open consistantly when given opportunities. I hope he gets some serious burn next season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was my breakout player for that game.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:32 PM

I expected him to get half a dozen targets and catch them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 1:13 PM

You got to be kidding our O line was like wet toilet tissue

Jan 5, 2018, 8:27 PM

I thought during the game that the lack of Mike Williams and Jordan Leggett we’re almost as impactful as the lack of DW4. I’ve back off of that a little - KB’s lack of pocket awareness hurt his ability to get the ball out before getting clobbered. That said, the WRs weren’t especially helpful with drops and failing to get open.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, all of the above.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:53 PM

OL, WRs, RBs, and the QB all were to blame. Throw the TE in there as well.

And I believe one of the reasons is that our whole offensive scheme was "adapted" or "adjusted" for Bryant's strengths...and weaknesses. I can't say it was overall unsuccessful because look where it got us. But I do think that the "slow play" development of the deep passing game affected the whole offensive unit.

Timing is critical, and it oftentimes is "muscle memory." A successful deep passing game needs practice...in-game practice. We didn't do that enough.

If Bryant and/or the WRs were not "ready" for the deep pass early on, that is definitely something we need to bring back into our repertoire. We are BUILT for the deep pass. We are not built to depend on a power-running game...or even the short passing game.

We needed to be (and need to be in the future) more balanced than Bama and UGA. Why? Both Bama and UGA (to a lesser extent...but, with their OL recruits, more in the future) are run heavy. Bama hasn't even worried too much about not having much of a passing game. They can win with their beast RBs and TEs primarily. UGA has a better passing option. Clemson does not have the huge RBs that Bama or UGA have. But Feaster and ETN are DANGEROUS when we also utilize our deep passing game.

Whether KB is our QB or one of the other QBs wins out, I hope that we will have our FULL offense in operation. That will require players of all positions to hone their skills to get back to our identity.

Kudos to KB for managing the offense, committing to continued development, taking us to the playoffs, and representing Clemson with such CLASS! And much thanks to all of the Clemson offense for giving us yet another fun season. Here's to winning it all next year!

Jan 5, 2018, 11:04 PM

I have seen this game dissected just about every way possible. Some of them were spot on. However, the truth of the matter, imo, is that nobody was gonna beat Bama Monday night, period.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic