Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O-Line Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

O-Line Recruiting

Dec 19, 2017, 8:50 AM

If we miss out on Mays, then so be it. We weren't even a thought in his mind a month and a half ago. I'm more concerned with how many Olinemen we are bringing in. Even if we got Mays, we would have only had 2 signings. We needed at least 3. Now that we might miss on Mays its possible we only sign 1.

I know that with tight numbers we couldn't go out and offer every olineman in our geographical area, but if we only come out of this class with just 1 recruit then I say that we didn't have a good year.

Top that off with dead period after this week until Jan. 11th then we will have no contact with any O-Line recruits for a long time. There is really only a couple that we might have a chance at this late in the cycle.

Jovaugh Gwyn out of Charlotte who is a 3*. I would take him. He has good length and he could help us play a role in signing Crouch for '19

another is a local standout Kavesz Sherard OT from T.L Hanna He is already 310 lbs and 6'4. Some recruiting sites have him rated higher than McFadden.

Those two along with McFadden will be a solid class. I don't question Robbie Caldwell like some on here. He is a solid recruiter, but we aren't going to get every 4 or 5 star. This class was just an anomaly. We had tight numbers and shot for the stars. Caldwell is one of the best at developing O-Linemen that I've seen in college football. Give him some guys and he will do wonders.

I still think its 50-50 for Mays no matter what some reports say. He was just coming off an official to UGA of course he will have his mountaintop experience. How will he feel today? how will he feel tomorrow? If we do miss I think we circle back around and try to land at least one of the guys above.

Message was edited by: tbennett117®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: O-Line Recruiting

Dec 19, 2017, 8:57 AM

I have ZERO doubt this staff has already told a few prospects that contingent upon what happens during early signing period, expect a call come January 11. Those prospects understand the schollie limitations and they grasp the meaning of this staff's word. It's presumptuous to think prospects from several months back are no longer being communicated with...nor is there any sense in deceiving them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder what kind of contact occurs during the dead period

Dec 19, 2017, 8:59 AM

I just have a hard time believing that there is no contact at all with these recruits for 3 weeks. Maybe nothing direct, but talking to a coach or friend.

Snowflake Basher........Out

yea i think there is probably some indirect communication

Dec 19, 2017, 9:04 AM

but as far as tweeting, texting, calling, visiting. yea we cant do that.

i agree

Dec 19, 2017, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: O-Line Recruiting ]

some will not give us a second chance either bc they are already committed or because of their egos'

others will. I like that coaches stay in contact. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. The biggest compliment about our recruiting was when Raekwon McMillan said he had a great relationship with Clemson even after he committed to Ohio St.

Dec 19, 2017, 12:39 PM

I'm going to disagree about Caldwell. I think he's a heck of a coach but not the best recruiter. It doesn't help that other schools are no doubt going negative about his age, but it seems like some of the other coaches need with recruiting some.

Dec 19, 2017, 12:49 PM

FYI information,

In the words of Plyler, "When you swim with sharks then sometimes you get bit" or something like that.

The moral of the story is that we didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and we won't give up if we get a 4* OT vs. a 5* OT.

We always manage to get somebody in the 11th hour and usually it's a pleasant surprise. There are still two 5* on the board above and below Mays.

Keep your head high and don't settle because you're a champion already!

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic