Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

General Update: Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock"

Apr 7, 2016, 9:55 AM

Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So where exactly is it being built?

Apr 7, 2016, 10:05 AM

A block from the stadium isn't what I would consider "downtown".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: So where exactly is it being built? It would be if there

Apr 7, 2016, 10:08 AM

was a town. Sorry couldnt resist. I love the small town charm of CU

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So where exactly is it being built?

Apr 7, 2016, 10:12 AM [ in reply to So where exactly is it being built? ]

I think it's being built across 93 from the end of Williamson road. Replacing the bar that was most recently Larry's and before that Friar's Tavern, and before that a multitude of other places. I belive it'll be beside the Outdoor Adventures place, but that place may be torn down as well. I'm not sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep

Apr 7, 2016, 12:01 PM

but the Outdoor place is gone too, and it's using that space as well

they have a looonnnngggg way to go if they want to open by this football season

Ah....

Apr 7, 2016, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: So where exactly is it being built? ]

I will be in Clemson tomorrow evening for the senior awards dinner so I may have to ride by and check it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

just a big red-clay hole in the ground right now

Apr 7, 2016, 12:35 PM

i'll be shocked if it's ready for football season

Cheap labor and shortcuts ... it can be done.

Apr 8, 2016, 8:42 AM

And, depends on the construction material, too.

Other hotels go up that quickly but end up paying for it in the end.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

"A block from Howard's Rock"

Apr 7, 2016, 10:05 AM

Gotta be where tiger park is right now right ?

Imo they should make the exterior look like a dorm. .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must be one of those Alaska blocks then. .***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:15 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:18 AM [ in reply to this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

I believe the Mellow location will be student housing with some retail. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2015/07/08/clemson-city-board-gives-conditional-approval-two-student-housingcommercial-developments/29886995/

Ok, this is going to be in Lot 1 then.***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, this is going to be in Lot 1 then.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:05 AM

It's replacing Larry's (previously Friar's and a bunch of other names)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Ok, this is going to be in Lot 1 then.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2016, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

Is Mellow still open? Do you know where they will move to?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2016, 11:12 AM

Well, the article says there will be a second-floor pizza parlor. I believe Mellow is closed, but this article backs up that there will be a space for Mellow in the new building (I assume that's contingent on whether Mellow wants the space or not). http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/tigertown-boom-continues/

Maybe they'll put Chanello's back in there?***

Apr 8, 2016, 7:34 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, it closed down under suspicious circumstances the day

Apr 7, 2016, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

before the ND game

They move into the new building ground floor

Apr 7, 2016, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

per upstate business journal

THIS IS THE WORST this is why they're tearing down MM.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

When i saw this last year i was left without words. This is a great example of how the City / University is stripping out the character of Clemson. For years the Mellow Mushroom was a great gathering place, with a wonderful porch and views of passersby.

Then, someone approves this industrial looking monstrosity that will house 82 students!?? This is ridiculous and whomever designed and approved this is quite short-sighted and does not have the best interests of the town at heart.

Re: THIS IS THE WORST this is why they're tearing down MM.***

Apr 7, 2016, 12:06 PM

Agreed, I love that Mellow Mushroom. Eat there almost every time I go to Clemson and planned to this Saturday after the spring game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%, Clemson (town) is losing it's soul...***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:22 PM [ in reply to THIS IS THE WORST this is why they're tearing down MM.*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP Friar's Tavern

Apr 7, 2016, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

Most recently known as Larry's, and known to many as Explorer's. Winkopp destroyed one of the best tailgate spots in Clemson to build this and rip off wealthy parents and alumni.

close***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:14 AM [ in reply to this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

#### Clemson for getting rid of the Mellow Mushroom.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:42 AM [ in reply to this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

it will return in the new building there

Apr 7, 2016, 12:08 PM

"Clemson developer Mark Johnson plans to revamp the current Mellow Mushroom site, tearing down the existing restaurant and two duplexes to make room for a new mixed-use project that will have four stories with roughly 62 beds, an amenity terrace, fitness center and study room.

The ground floor will offer space for a new Mellow Mushroom restaurant along with additional commercial space."

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/tigertown-boom-continues/

no, different development in that space

Apr 7, 2016, 12:07 PM [ in reply to this is why they're tearing down mellow mushroom.*** ]

that's going to be a mix of student housing and commercial space

the Abernathy will be down the hill at the end of Williamson and next door to the Church of Christ

Did we give up on Little John and decide to do this instead?

Apr 7, 2016, 10:19 AM

I know basketball is down but seems a little much

I'm happy to know 40 multi millionaires will be comfortable.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:26 AM

I guess it could act as a dorm if needed if the hotel folds up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm happy to know 40 multi millionaires will be comfortable.

Apr 7, 2016, 2:40 PM

You sir are a loser.

Re: General Update: Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock"

not a big fan of this. taking the "college town" out of Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Message removed by Author

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

L***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 AM

E***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 AM

M***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:30 AM

Apr 7, 2016, 10:30 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

S***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:32 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Apr 7, 2016, 10:31 AM

O***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:31 AM

N***

my computer kept hanging up. Didn't know if it posted or

Apr 7, 2016, 10:45 AM

not. Thought what you all did was funny.

Since the Days Inn is $500/night with a 2 night minimum, I wonder what this "luxury" hotel will cost during football season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:34 AM

I***

G***

E***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:35 AM

R***

S***

!***

The coot game is $6,317 with two night minimum.***

Apr 7, 2016, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock" ]

Apr 7, 2016, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Luxury hotel to be "A block from Howard's Rock" ]

I believe it's a Condo/Hotel. You purchase the place as a condo, but when you are not using it, you can allow the property managers to lease it out as a hotel. I'm assuming the profits would then be split somehow between the "Hotel" and the condo owner. I've heard the "Condos start out around $250k and go up from there.

Because of that, it would likely rarely be available as a hotel on football weekends. Only if the owner wasn't planning to use it.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:58 AM

...last time I spent overnight at Clemson it was in a $30/month "pre-fab"! The times they are a changing...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last time I spent overnight at Clemson. . It was in a ditch across from the astro.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:01 AM

Re: Last time I spent overnight at Clemson. . It was in a ditch across from the astro.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:03 AM

8th floor Byrnes!

Re: Last time I spent overnight at Clemson. . It was in a ditch across from the astro.***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Last time I spent overnight at Clemson. . It was in a ditch across from the astro.*** ]

What'd you pay for the ditch? Bet my prefab was cheaper!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Across from Tennis courts

Apr 7, 2016, 11:13 AM

Tiny 500 ft2 tailgating units, too small to be considered livable.
At $500 per ft2, probably not selling well...

nope

Apr 7, 2016, 12:03 PM

at the end of Williamson Drive - across 93 from Fike and next door to the Church of Christ

Can we not just renovate the C-House?

Apr 7, 2016, 11:14 AM

Really? The typical fan won't be able to afford this! If it's a true hotel, seems like getting a room would be impossible, which will drive up the room rate.

LOL that's funny............

Apr 7, 2016, 12:05 PM

your post suggests that any recent on or off campus improvements have been for the "typical" fan.

Mark my words

Apr 7, 2016, 12:10 PM

We WILL lose a prized recruit one day because of not having a Mellow Mushroom. Auburn has one downtown. Crap.

Winkopp

Apr 7, 2016, 12:25 PM

I thought Winkopp was the guy who sued Clemson and BMW over ICAR? If I'm wrong please correct me.

I believe that was Cliff Rosen, not Winkopp.

Apr 8, 2016, 2:15 AM

I don't think Winkopp has any bad blood with Clemson, unless you count those fans who think all of his developments ruin Clemson's small town feel. I'm not sure why some people thought it would stay the same forever.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm generally OK with most of Winkopp's developments

Apr 8, 2016, 2:54 PM

but I don't like this one. It took out one of the few remaining food/drink establishments on that stretch of 93 and replaced it with a building that will sit empty probably 300 days a year.

I'd like to see the occupancy rates of his developments***

Apr 8, 2016, 6:57 PM

any idea what is being built downtown ...

Apr 7, 2016, 1:02 PM

College Avenue across the street from the Presbyterian Church?

We could use a fashionable hotel in downtown Clemson.

the 'Dukes Center'

Apr 7, 2016, 1:14 PM

mix of residential and commercial space

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2014/11/11/city-clemson-gives-conditional-ok-controversial-five-story-downtown-project/18892001/

Apr 7, 2016, 1:17 PM

The tradition of horrible off-campus architecture continues at Clemson! Yuck.

Not for the long time typical Tiger fan I'm sure.***

Apr 7, 2016, 7:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh goody! More WinKrap being built in Clemson.***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Apr 24, 2016, 1:08 PM

I hope the interior is really nice because that exterior design looks equivalent to a holiday inn. LOL

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic