Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nuk Non-Touchdown Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Nuk Non-Touchdown Question

Oct 22, 2012, 12:46 PM

Unbiased opinion please on Nuk's "Non Touchdown catch!" Was it a catch or not? At the game I thought so, and my super Clemson buddy next to me thought not. Just curious!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no***

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He broke the goal line with the ball - TD***

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

stop watching it in super slow motion

Oct 22, 2012, 12:52 PM

he never had it.

Looked like he made a "football move" to me.***

Oct 22, 2012, 12:47 PM

My 2 cents.......not a TD***

Oct 22, 2012, 12:47 PM

Video would not have overturned the call on the field.

Oct 22, 2012, 12:49 PM

If it had been called a touchdown it probably would have stood.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on how you look at it...

Oct 22, 2012, 12:50 PM

In super-slo-mo, it looks like a catch, but in real time it doesn't. I think think the refs made the right call, even after looking at it. Definitely not indisputable evidence.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Video would not have overturned the call on the field.

Oct 22, 2012, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Video would not have overturned the call on the field. ]

Looked like both feet down with the ball and crossed the plain before it came out...I say TD

Re: Nuk Non-Touchdown Question

Oct 22, 2012, 12:50 PM

Well if that Maryland catch in 1986 was a TD then Nuks surely had to be!!!

Oct 22, 2012, 12:51 PM

Ball was in his possession and not 1 not 2 but 3 feet down (meaning he took 2 steps with it in his possession). However, when he lost his balance and dropped the ball (after crossing the goal line) he reacted as if he had dropped the ball, thus leading the offical to signal incomplete. Much like the 2 non-overturned fumbles in the second half, the incompentant replay official botched the replay.

In my opinion, it was a TD.

I'm torn-the ball was controlled in his hands the moment

Oct 22, 2012, 12:53 PM

the ball broke the plane. Also, he had taken two complete steps before the ball slipped out. Then again, I can understand why many would think it's not a catch.

Oct 22, 2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks guys! The responses seem to be split. Guess it certainly was not obvious either way. Had to go with the call on the field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No TD***

Oct 22, 2012, 1:03 PM

Oct 22, 2012, 1:07 PM

I thought he had controll of the ball when he crossed the goal line. So TD for me. Now I though that Sammy had a fumble but that call was not overthrown either as the ref called him down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he had control at all, how did he drop it?

Oct 22, 2012, 1:08 PM

for him to drop it the way he did there is no way he ever had it

He didn't "complete" the catch

Oct 22, 2012, 1:12 PM

I think he momentarily had control of the ball. But in order for a catch to be complete, the receiver has to "make a football move" and demonstrate control for more than a brief period of time (which is all very subjective).

I remember the call against Calvin Johnson last year (maybe the year before) where he caught the ball in the endzone, got both feet down, and flipped the ball over his shoulder while running out of the back of the endzone. They ruled it incomplete, saying he didn't demonstrate enough control of the ball.

So that was a good call IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Careful trying to compare NCAA rules to NFL

Oct 22, 2012, 1:18 PM

they aren't the same. He had to break the plane possessing the football. The refs rules he did not have to possession when he crossed the goalline. I thought he but the angles make it difficult to really determine that. I don't really have a real problem with it being overturned. Nuk should have held on to the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He didn't "complete" the catch

Oct 22, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to He didn't "complete" the catch ]

All the bad calls went against VPI so this one was correct. They got all the breaks in the game and deserved to win. The refs took that game away from the Turkeys and Ron Cherry wasn't involved. The fact that we have now beat their #### three times in a row by 3 t.d.'s or more proves that we get all the breaks.

BTW, How does Clemson deserve to be #27 in the computer rankings? I know we suck but aren't we a little better than that?

There is some sarcasm in this post.

In the middle of the field that is an incompletion

Oct 22, 2012, 1:24 PM

but since he had control of the ball when he crossed the goalline, it should have been a TD.

But there was no way they were overturning that call.

Oct 22, 2012, 1:28 PM

Looked like the ball was moving IMO. I say good call. We got make-up calls that went our way, so we still got the better deal with the calls IMO.

No way can you overturn that call though - either way.

yes***

Oct 22, 2012, 2:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic