Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 196
| visibility 1

Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks

Aug 4, 2014, 4:07 PM

Greetings everyone.

I will be traveling to Columbia to attend the Texas A&M game versus USCe on August 28th. To prepare myself and fello A&M fans for the trip, I would like to learn about their fanbase, their stadium, traditions of note, where to eat, things to do, things to avoid and the overall gameday experience. I have read a little about the place, but I would like to gain from your perspective.

Thanks in advance!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm gonna grab some popcorn for this one!***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:08 PM

Do yourself a favor and just stay home.***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well,

Aug 4, 2014, 4:12 PM

They have mullets, wear jorts with tank tops(typically with marlboros pinned under one of the shoulder straps), they drive maros and transams with t-tops. They have doo-doo smelling ice and don't spell very well. They drink zimas and colt 45. They play in a dead cockroach looking stadium. If you're winning(fingers crossed) at halftime more than half of them will go home.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

You should be all good wherever you go

Aug 4, 2014, 4:13 PM

As long as it's not in or anywhere near the city of Columbia...

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fan base observations of Clemson trip and coot trip...

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Well, ]

Aggie fan's experience in Clemson

If you drop by the aggie board, it's clear MANY of them are really pissed at the loss. I'd guess that if we'd hired the 'Bama ten game winning coach for $2M/Year and seen him go 11-14 we'd be pissed too. As a result of that, many of them label us as mediocre. That's understandable.

Still, we're Clemson and we like ourselves. That lets us treat visiting fans well. I like that about us. Here are 3 C&Ps from the aggie board on how the game experience was at Clemson:

1. “I went with Lance to Clemson...I think he said it all. The gameday atmosphere is very cool. We saw tons of Aggies (including ourselves) who had been invited to join random Clemson fans. The fans were, by far, the nicest I have ever met (outside of CS). The number of rude comments/actions could easily be counted on one hand and I think they were all due to alcohol and school spirit, instead of just being rude. It reminded me alot of being in College Station.

As far as the game itself, the military appreciation was very nicely done. I especially enjoyed the 21 gun salute done at halftime. The Clemson crowd was loud but definitely in a different way than A&M fans are used to. They could get really loud (See: 6 seconds left in the 4th Quarter) and it was very noticeable when they were spelling out "Clemson," but they could also get incredibly quiet, even at important times in the game. Overall though, it seemed like a pretty intimidating place to play.

I must admit that the hill isn't all I expected. I went in hoping that it was going to be as cool as people made it out to be but I guess if you aren't a Clemson fan, it's a bit anticlimactic. I looked down for a second and almost missed it. However, I can understand how it could be very cool if you are a Tiger fan. After the game, we walked across the field and up that hill and I don't see how more guys don't eat it. It's alot steeper than it looks...

Overall, I would say that that is the best away game I have ever been to... If only we could schedule Clemson more...”

2. "The fans were friendly and the sea of orange was intimidating. This was my favorite road trip to date -- Virginia Tech is a distant second"

3. "I just got home from the game and here are my thoughts on Clemson:

1.The campus and surrounding area were very nice. Lots of trees and hills.

2. The stadium was full and orange, but they weren't loud on a Kyle Field level. It took goal line plays for the place to get to its feet and really get cooking. They were a good crowd though.

3. The run down the hill....I just didn't get it, and neither did anyone around me. It must be something where you need to attend the school to appreciate it.

4. The tailgaiting lived up to its hype. You couldn't move without running into another tent. It was spread out a long distance on all sides of the stadium. Impressive.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Clemson fans showed us the most hospitality of any fans I've ever met. They asked us about our traditions, they pulled us in and offered us food, and they said "Hi" when we got there and "drive home safe" when we left. A lot of students and alumni alike came up to us and shook our hands and told us how great they'd been treated in College Station or that they'd heard about it and that they were glad they were hosting us. The way they all all treated us made the trip worthwhile, despite the outcome."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

More A&M observarions...

CjAg
posted 10:20a, 9/5/2005

I have been telling everyone that Clemson's tailgating is way better than anything at Kyle. Most people here said that I was crazy. Now that you have been to Clemson, what are your thoughts?

byron06
posted 10:21a, 9/5/2005

WAAAAY better. This is no contest.

CUrynoSx
posted 10:29a, 9/5/2005

With the help of about 30 Aggies possibly more, the Clemson Fire Truck tailgate floated 5 kegs and we were still craving more. It was a pleasure to tailgate and party with you all.

ktbowman
posted 10:34a, 9/5/2005

Myself and 2 friends made the trip. We were very impressed with the tailgating. A&M probably does the best in the stadium during the game. Clemson's tailgating is an entire gameday experience. They are tailgating early in the morning till the game. More like a festival atmosphere. The fans were great. My friends and I had a blast, except for the score of course.

CUwhenitburns04
posted 10:59a, 9/5/2005

Three buddies & I made it to campus at about 1pm. We never had to buy beer or food all day. We couldnt pass a tailgating spot without having things offered to us. We were full and quite toasted before the game. Then there was more of the same after the game. Thanks alot Clemson fans, you guy were awesome. Had a great time.

We also got SMOKED by some girls in flip cup & beer pong.

[This message has been edited by CUwhenitburns04 (edited 9/5/2005 11:00a).]

jt2hunt
posted 11:11a, 09/05/05

the last comment, i hope we develop that type of gameday tailgating.

TheChuck
posted 11:17a, 09/05/05

Clemson's taligating was better than I imagined.

Bonfired
posted 11:23a, 09/05/05

We're still trying to play catch-up to many of the SEC schools when it comes to tailgating...I knew of Clemson's rep in this area and wasn't disappointed.

I don't know if any of them will read this, but to the denizens of the Nowell tailgate, you were the best hosts and I was truly humbled by your generosity to a complete stranger...T-bird, Alice, Chris, John, Greg, Paige, Sara, Carrie, Mark and anyone else I forgot, thank you very much for a wonderful time. I won't soon forget it.

TalonAg20
posted 11:40a, 09/05/05

I'm with everyone else that says they had an incredible time before the game (or the entire weekend, for that matter). The Clemson tailgating scene seems to me to be the ACC's version of LSU's scene, and just like LSU's, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad time. We went to the bars for the first part of the day, then went through a group of the tailgate lots, and, like everyone else, we found ourselves being offered everything. Great people, very hospitable!! Very impressed, and thanks CU folks, for a good time.

Aggie Overnight Celebrity
posted 12:02p, 09/05/05

our tailgating is getting better, but a handful of our fans need to stop being lame and start tailgating instead of hanging out in the MSC or parking at the mall.

Students are starting to show up in hordes. There is no reason we shouldn't have at least 50,000 tailgaters outside on campus.

Screw northgate, screw house parties, screw being lame and showing up a hour or two before the game, and come tailgate.

AggieBaseball06
posted 1:03p, 09/05/05

AOC- I totally agree with you...

But even if that magically happened, we still have A LOT to do before we are anywhere near Clemson. For those who didn't get to go, you missed some awesome times.

AW 1880
posted 1:12p, 09/05/05

Clemson had the second best tailgating scene I've been to. LSU being the first. Good lord, the Clemson women. Here's to drinking more Busch Light this weekend than my entire life.

CornersBlitz
posted 1:12p, 09/05/05

I have been to Alabama, Notre Dame and UF and they all KILL our tail gate. It's not really that good here. Not sure why everyone says it is.

posted 3:14p, 09/05/05

well, we do have the numbers, but our tailgating is so spread out... Byrne needs to open up Simpson Drill Field and several other parking lots so people can tailgate in them.

You will also see as the season ticket holders get younger, the tailgating get better.

logjammin
posted 3:21p, 09/05/05

too many people just get smashed at Northgate before the games instead of tailgating...

"...you're killing your father Larry..."

posted 7:15p, 09/05/05

I know, and that needs to change. Tailgating is much more fun than going to a bar. I can go to a bar any day of the week, but tailgating is apart of what makes college football atmospheres so great.

BillyPilgrim
posted 7:26p, 09/05/05

Clemson fans and tailgating were awesome! From Friday afternoon till 2:30 a.m./ on Saturday following the game, we never bought a drink. We had tons of invites to tailgates, but couldn't get to most of them because we kept getting stopped and invited to others.

Great fans and smoking hot girls. Thanks, Clemson!

---------------------------------------------------------

Bama fan's experience in Columbia

COLUMBIA PROVIDED UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE

I wanted to comment on my family's recent visit to Columbia for the Alabama-USC game. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were looking forward to walking the streets of Columbia and mingling with the local crowd. However, my family never has been treated so rudely.

We have been to many away games and have enjoyed the fans. We were constantly yelled at by USC fans referencing their mascot with obscene gestures with my small child present.

This was before the game, and it went downhill. The loss to USC was disappointing, but Alabama lost because USC played a much better game, and there was no doubt about that.

Alabama is known for its classy fans, and I chose to keep that tradition. However, it was discouraging to visit a town and be treated as we were throughout our stay. It is sad that football in Columbia can not be a family sport.

I will never come back to watch a football game, and I know I am not alone in feeling this way. I feel that each and every team should have enough respect to open its arms to the visiting team and welcome its fans without crude remarks and gestures.

Tracy Grissett
Tuscaloosa, Ala.

AND ANOTHER:

USC FANS' BEHAVIOR WAS CRUDE

I attended the football game between Alabama and South Carolina. The behavior of the South Carolina student section and the majority of fans was appalling. Never--and I mean never--have I heard such foullanguage and witnessed such crude behavior.

When the student section began an obscene chant and it was picked up throughout the stadium, I could not believe what I was hearing. My South Carolina host apologized profusely. seeing small children repeat this chant while their parents looked on was shocking.

Listening to the heinous music over the loudspeakers was torturous. Why does the South Carolina band not play during the game? That's a cherished part of college football.

South Carolina, you reached a new low on Oct. 9. You may have won a football game, but you lost the dignity, style and grace for which the South is famous. Shameful

Lauren Frances
Palm Desert, Calif.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why did the Coots say bad things to Alabama fans?

Aug 4, 2014, 5:37 PM

Isn't that their favorite team?

Re: Fan base observations of Clemson trip and coot trip...

Aug 4, 2014, 7:46 PM [ in reply to Fan base observations of Clemson trip and coot trip... ]

Thanks tigerrag. Interesting stories and obersvations.

I am a contributing member of an A&M message board called TexAgs. Those comments about our tailgating area were very true in 2005. However things have changed dramatically since then, and now that we are undergoing a $450 million makeover, it will improve even more. I would love to play a home & home with you guys someday.

Thanks again.

If you like gay house music and white towels

Aug 4, 2014, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Well, ]

Then Willy Brice is the place for you! That, or the gay bar near the airport. Either way you'll be surrounded by garnet and black.

Re: If you like gay house music and white towels

Aug 4, 2014, 5:27 PM

Sandstorm is Techno if you like to split hairs over music. Bad techno at that.

my apologies. you are correct sir!***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:51 PM

Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the

Aug 4, 2014, 4:14 PM

Gamecawk fans?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the

Aug 4, 2014, 4:23 PM

I always find that opposing fans give the best information. #### fans would simply flood me with suggestions that could be time consuming to decipher. Anyone can get info from TripAdvisor.com. You guys will most likely shoot me straight.

We won't shoot you

Aug 4, 2014, 4:24 PM

But if you go to Columbia you just might get shot. Seriously.

POTFC

Aug 4, 2014, 7:54 PM

Post of the ####### century

There's something in these hills.

Well that may be, but you'll have to do just as much

Aug 4, 2014, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

wading through a lot of nonsense answers on here also haha.

But seriously, they are extremely arrogent when they've accomplised absolutely nothing, which is an extremely annoying combination

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I hadn't seen any nonsense answers yet ....***

Aug 4, 2014, 8:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texan here, lived in Columbia from 7th grade til Clemson

Aug 4, 2014, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

First off, I love A&M. I have plenty of friends that went there and I'm jealous SC gets to play you every year. There are fewer schools more alike than A&M and Clemson, and you deserve so much better than the trash that is SCar and the city of Columbia.

I moved to Columbia in 7th grade from Victoria, TX. my parents still live there so I am in town frequently. Lifelong Clemson fan since I am a legacy, so naturally I liked the Aggies while I lived in TX. I was excited to move to SC because it meant I could go to Clemson when the time came for college (5 years since I moved into Benet Hall, wow).

I would not recommend attending this game. Everywhere has its rednecks and undesirable walmart fans, but there really is no worse gameday experience than Columbia. It's like a nasty, over-industrialized New Jersey city filled with Southern rednecks. The stadium is miles from campus (not that campus is nice at all, it sucks)and is in the middle of an idustrial area. You either park at the fairgrounds or in a vacant warehouse parking lot. There are no bathrooms. I last attended a game there in 2009 and when searching for a restroom, was told to pick a warehouse to go behind. Columbia and its inhabitants represent some of the worst of what SC has to offer as a state.

Now, they have done a good job upgrading the stadium itself and its immediate vicinity in recent years, but the stadium itself is still an eyesore. Despite the nasty location and general rundown appearance/smell, above all the worst part of the experience is the fans themselves. You'll find a pleasant SC grad, but the large majority of the attendees will be students (bitter Clemson rejects, Yankees that are down here to party) and the general population of Columbia. It's the general population with no affiliation to the school that gives SC such a bad reputation. You will be spat upon, cursed, and compared to "Klimpsun" incessantly.

In summary, the city sucks. The stadium and it's surrounding are abysmal. The fans are worse than you can imagine. You will only make this trip once. Coming from a former resident.

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Re: Texan here, lived in Columbia from 7th grade til Clemson

Aug 4, 2014, 7:54 PM

Wow. Not exactly a ringing endorsement there acraftytiger. Unfortunately, I am committed due to travel and lodging arrangements. Believe me, as someone who lived in England for a year and regularly attending Arsenal matches, I know a thing or 2 about insanely out of control and rude fans. It's just a mindset.

I am a little bummed that we are stuck with SC as a yearly cross division game. Just have to make the best of it I suppose. Anyway, thanks for the info, and Gig'Em.

Haha that last sentence is gold.***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

Re: Haha that last sentence is gold.***

Aug 4, 2014, 10:20 PM

poor #### lover mike is not liking this thread.

null

Ha!

Aug 4, 2014, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

You're at the wrong place for a "straight shot." Some special folks on this board.

Re: Ha!

Aug 4, 2014, 7:56 PM

;)

I think you meant "time consuming to try to read and...

Aug 5, 2014, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

understand"

Maybe because he wanted the truth....

Aug 4, 2014, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Just curious.... why would you ask us, instead of asking the ]

instead of some half-a$$ed version of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Well I guess you could eat at the

Aug 4, 2014, 4:16 PM

Palmetto Pig BBQ place. It's actually quite good.

or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:20 PM

Re: or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:22 PM

mustard based is disgusting...

You're disgusting

Aug 4, 2014, 4:25 PM

so there

Newb, the third grade called....

Aug 4, 2014, 4:27 PM

They said your comeback was so lame that they don't even want it back....

Just know that I have an R rated response that

Aug 4, 2014, 4:29 PM

would immediately win this discussion. But I like having all my points. Just know that I could've made you cry with embarrassment

Why don't you tmale him the response

Aug 4, 2014, 4:30 PM

and copy me

Bob, you always are up for a 3 way with doods....***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:32 PM

I would be remiss to ruin your fragile innocence, bob.

Aug 4, 2014, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Why don't you tmale him the response ]

Also then both of you would say "yada yada it really wasn't that good" when we all three of us would know it really was and would win at internetz

^^skeered***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:35 PM

Mustard Base is great***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse*** ]

Re: Mustard Base is great***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:11 PM

I like it all....think brunettes, blondes, redheads. All good, but some is a lot better than others. Cue purists will fight over their sauces. I like it all. To me, an 150 pd wild sow cooked overnight is better than anything that can be bought in a restaurant.

I like different kind of sauces, but I grew up on Mustard...

Aug 4, 2014, 5:23 PM

base. It's nice that there are different sauces and different styles in BBQ. It would be boring if all the BBQ places and people who cook their own BBQ made it the same way with the same sauce. They actually have mayonnaise based sauce in Alabama.

For freakin' hot dogs . . . and nothing else.***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Mustard Base is great*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Maurice's piggie park is some of the worst bbq I have

Aug 4, 2014, 4:26 PM [ in reply to or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse*** ]

ever and I mean ever had. I'd rather go to the store and get a tub of stuff they sell beside the predone mashed taters. Please don't steer the aTm fans wrong unless they do annoying things like lose to scar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^this***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:28 PM

...Is not true.

Fixed it

We can only conclude that you suffered some sort of

Aug 4, 2014, 4:31 PM

terrible injury. It is okay, we will not judge you because of that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did fall and hit my head on a rock when I was three

Aug 4, 2014, 4:33 PM

and it did require stitches, but the doctors all said it wouldn't affect my taste buds or nasal capacities. And I'm gonna go with the doctors on this one.

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

That statement is so true. Worst BBQ I have ever had.***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Maurice's piggie park is some of the worst bbq I have ]

Hudson's is in Lexington and that ain't nowhere near the

Aug 4, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse*** ]

Roach.

Maurice's BBQ is terrible***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:00 PM [ in reply to or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse*** ]

Re: or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:23 PM [ in reply to or Maurice's Piggie Park ... or Hudson's Smokehouse*** ]

If you you think Maurices's is good, you have not eaten much bbq. It has so much sauce on it you can not even taste the meat. Might as well just eat the sauce and no meat

Is your Tetnus shot and insurance up to date?***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks

Fan base is not good. They like Sandstorm a lot. I would try to get into Pawley's front porch if you could. Traffic will probably be a nightmare though and it isn't walking distance from the stadium. Avoid gunfire and Garnet.

Think Camden New Jersey with a bar Scene.

Or Lubbock with more white trash and crappier weather.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever seen the circus that is Walmart? That's Columbia.

Its a walking, living Walmart. Good luck.

Re: Ever seen the circus that is Walmart? That's Columbia.

Aug 4, 2014, 4:26 PM

You will see lots of white trash. You will hate them as much as we do after just one game.

I refer you to the book of Genesis, Chapter 19...

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh wow

Aug 4, 2014, 4:26 PM

I'm scared to ask where you found that pic, rev

I think I found it here last year ...

Aug 4, 2014, 4:32 PM

Is that a new tourist push by Nikki Haileys office?

Wonder where they're marketing that to?

Fanbase- wears jorts, pull for SEC, not school, love c0cks.

Stadium- resembles a cockroach, very unsanitary.

Traditions- N/A

Things to avoid- the city. The only halfway decent place in town is the tailgating area. I warn you now, do NOT try to tailgate anywhere else, it is all warehouses and streets.

The gameday experience has certainly gotten better in the last 5 years, but is still by far the worst gameday experience I've ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I love rude fans. I personally think it is fun to have a few fun words with them and talk football with, etc. however, sCar fans will not hesitate to key your car. Just ask Steven Garcia.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you lose a bet or something? Nobody needs to experence that dump unless you are being forced to...

Some of the most mouthy and deluded fans you will ever see

Aug 4, 2014, 4:24 PM

The arrogance of Notre Dame with the tradition of Temple.

The City of Columbia is an absolute cesspool and the off-campus football stadium, which resembles a dead cockroach, is in an area known more for its homeless vagrants, crack dens, and prostitutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^the most accurate response thus far***

So you're saying

mine isn't true!!??

Your's was just funny....***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:38 PM

and true!!!

Aug 4, 2014, 4:39 PM

;)

The best thing that ever came out of Columbia was I-26***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:32 PM [ in reply to ^the most accurate response thus far*** ]

Aug 4, 2014, 4:30 PM

Re: Be careful about your car....

Aug 4, 2014, 4:44 PM

Some BAMA friends of ours went to a South Carolina/Alabama game in Columbia several years ago and had to replace tires because of vandalism after the game. I think it was all four tires but I am not sure of that. I can't imagine that is a frequent problem or you would surely hear about such things from Clemson and other fans. Makes you think, however, about marking your car with A&M colors,stickers, etc.

If you fly and rent a car to go to the game, that should not be a problem. I doubt it would be a problem anyway or there would be more mention of this sort of thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Be careful about your car....

Aug 4, 2014, 8:24 PM

Make sure you get the insurance

Aggie, asking abt these people on a clemson board....

is like asking a group of Confederate soldiers how they feel abt Sherman. We just don't like 'em.

Hope you like crack, you're gonna see some crack***

Hey, TheGoodAg! Come back on here after the game

Aug 4, 2014, 4:33 PM

and let us know about your experience. We'd like to get your impressions!

Re: Hey, TheGoodAg! Come back on here after the game

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM

That is my plan.

For lunch right down the street from the stadium is Bernies fried chicken. To me, it don't get any better especially for the price and some ### good fried chicken. For their fan base, in their chicken coup, you won't ever be around any worst.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2014, 4:44 PM

It was almost hard to get a seat in there for me on a Monday. It is solid but not somewhere I would go to eat if I only had one shot at Columbia's food.

Get there early and I mean several hours before the game

There are several lots relatively close to the stadium for a fee. Do not expect them to be picturesque. It is in the warehouse district. When not at the game, visit the Vista area on and around Gervais street. Blue Marlin and Liberty tavern are good restaurants. Stay away from five points area. If you haven't already booked a hotel, good luck. You may be able to get something in the north west area around Harbison Boulevard. About 30 minutes drive to downtown but lots to do as far as shopping and food. Highly recommend removing all a&m flags, magnets, etc before going in. They do seem to have a higher percentage of idiot fans compared to other schools I've been to.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Re: Get there early and I mean several hours before the game

Aug 4, 2014, 5:12 PM

Thanks for the great info Davistiger. I am staying a the Wydham Garden Inn at USC. Hope that wasn't a mistake. Looks fairly decent though.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:15 PM

You're going to Southern Cal?

Aug 4, 2014, 5:21 PM

Pardon me. I'm staying at the Wyndham Garden Inn Cawktown, USA.

Better?

Aug 4, 2014, 5:25 PM

Thanks, we can't have those feathered imbreds thinking they're actually "USC"....

You are right near 5 points so bring a bullet proof vest

Aug 4, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Get there early and I mean several hours before the game ]

as you are about 4 blocks from the hood. Seriously, I'm a pastor in Columbia and their are shootings down there all the time

Re: You are right near 5 points so bring a bullet proof vest

Aug 4, 2014, 8:10 PM

Interesting. Funny how the literature omitted that little tidbit. Oh well, I'm locked into the room, so it looks like the wife and I will be wearing our kevlar.

Aug 4, 2014, 8:26 PM

Some schools are classy like Michigan, Notre Dame, and other random schools that i dont know of. Unfortunately for you, south carolina fans are split up like this:

30% nice normal people who have a problem (being a gamecock). I have friends like this

Then there is the other 70%... I was in the away section of clemson carolina here in DV 2 years ago. This gamecock fan was drunk, an idiot, punched a girl he knew (maybe his wife?), and was a pain.

This will bring out the worst our fine state has to offer. People get shot, robbed, and are afraid outside the stadium. I visit columbia regularly, and honestly greenville and charleston are a million times better than columbia (although all have their shady parts). Have fun, and Go Ags beat gamecocks!

Aug 5, 2014, 9:52 AM

When did Notre Dame become Classy?

The hotel you are in is nice, just don't go east of it

Aug 4, 2014, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: You are right near 5 points so bring a bullet proof vest ]

5 points is the college bar scene, but it's also just a few blocks from 2 major projects in town, and there has been a ton of gang violence down there. Take a cab to The Vista which is on the other side of town and is far more up scale. Good restaurants and some entertainment. You'll meet some nice folks at the game. The good thing for you is it's a weekday game so many fans will just be leaving work early instead of starting to drink at daybreak.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Get there early and I mean several hours before the game ]

Hotel should be fine. Worked downtown for several years and had people coming in for training classes stay there. While Columbia is not as pretty as some other cities in the state, it is not entirely the wasteland that is rumored on this board. Biggest problems are game day traffic and parking in the popular areas. I would recommend getting a shuttle or taxi to the Vista from your hotel. If driving to the game, I was not kidding about leaving early. There are limited routes to the stadium area and they turn into parking lots on game day. Hope you have a great time and beat the c0cks! Just remember that their fans are not great representatives of our fair state.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Aug 4, 2014, 8:11 PM

Thanks again. Truly appreciate it.

Aug 4, 2014, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Get there early and I mean several hours before the game ]

It is a nice place,,but be ready for a lot of students hanging around. It is right at what they call the Horseshoe on campus. All I can is just bite your tongue and just grin when they give you the bird (notorious for that).

Columbia does have a very respectable zoo

Aug 4, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Get there early and I mean several hours before the game ]

And I am not talking about Willy B!

Stay in Vista or maybe out near the zoo (Greystone Blvd). There are a few local food joints that are not bad - Zesto's, Lizard's Thicket, Rush's, Sandy's.

Leave your camera at home...that is just unnecessary weight to lug around, and one more thing that might get you mugged!

FYI, Columbia is just about the hottest place on the East coast

In a nutshell: 1969 ACC Champs. Since Spurrier arrived a few

years ago, they've had unprecedented success, basically having the 5 greatest years of football in the last 5 years or so, winning double-digit games.

Spurrier is proving his god-like coaching abilities by taking a barely average program historically & turning it into a well-oiled football machine.

They still, however, choose to represent themselves with a poultry mascot & they are cursed to never win another championship of any sort.

Did you make it up to God's country for the Clemson game....

Aug 4, 2014, 4:36 PM

a few years ago?

If so, you will realize in a matter of seconds upon arriving in Columbia that the two places are as vastly different as night and day, and I don't mean just the aesthetics. I mean the people, the place, the attitudes, the hospitality. I mean everything.

Re: Did you make it up to God's country for the Clemson game....

Aug 4, 2014, 5:15 PM

Unfortunately, I did not attend that game. But it's sounding like I should have.

Ask some of your fellow Aggie fans who did

Aug 4, 2014, 5:27 PM

Other than the outcome of the game, I think most of them will speak very highly of Clemson, its fnas, and their experience here.

Pepper your agnus!***

Aug 4, 2014, 4:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay - I'm gonna warn you AGs about SC BBQ.

DO NOT EAT THAT CRAP!! If you're from Texas, you will barf. It's mustard-based, and if that's all you've ever had, then it's okay. If you've eaten BBQ further West, then do yourself a favor and pick something else. You can thank me later. Of course, being on a board with South Carolinians that love THEIR BBQ, then this will cause a chitstorm argument. Just remember - you've been warned.

As for South Carolina folks in general, they are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Now if you score on the gamecocks - expect to see their one-finger-salutes from everywhere. It's what they do.

Good luck and be careful where you park. :)

You've just shown your ignorance there Streaking Tiger

Aug 4, 2014, 4:40 PM

Mustard Based BBQ IS NOT SC BBQ!!!

Vinegar Based bbq is and always will be SC BBQ!

Re: You've just shown your ignorance there Streaking Tiger

Aug 4, 2014, 4:47 PM

S.C. barbecue is region-specific. I eat it all but, when pressed, will admit that a whole wild pig slow cooked in not much more than vinegar and pepper beats the heck out of a sharp stick in the eye. I'm still not sold on the Tx beef cue, though. Need more testing....

Aug 4, 2014, 5:34 PM

That Texas beef cue crap is a made up TV image of what TX BBQ is. Yes, we cook the crap outta brisket and shoulder clod, but everyone here knows that pork ribs, butts and cochon de lait is where it's at. You'll find this just as often as BBQ beef. And the only beef ribs you will find will be attached to a ribeye steak.

As for sauce, true TX aficianados skip the sauce. It covers the ineptitude of the pitmaster. Sauce on the side ONLY please.

:)

Aug 4, 2014, 5:38 PM

Yeah I like the flavors of the pork or beef. Spice it up but skip the sauce that masks the natural flavors

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoodAg is a good old boy.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Re: You've just shown your ignorance there Streaking Tiger ]

Comes in here respectfully. Freely admits that pork rules the Cue Kingdom. Is a fan of the bone-in ribeye. Bona fides.....satisfied.

Kill the chickens.....cook to your liking.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: You've just shown your ignorance there Streaking Tiger ]

This is my kinda guy. BBQ is about the meat not the sauce.

Aug 4, 2014, 6:06 PM

You got it, panther. That's why I prefer a feral sow. Meat has so much more flavor than a parlor-raised pig (to me). Slather with whatever sauce one wants (or nothing but a little salt and pepper)....but start first with good meat.

When we going hunting? .44Mags or 12s? You got dogs?***

Aug 4, 2014, 6:22 PM

Re: When we going hunting? .44Mags or 12s? You got dogs?***

Aug 4, 2014, 6:43 PM

Solos, I like to shoot them any way I can. Chasing them with dogs on horseback is my favorite. Do the deed with a sharp blade and have 'em at the skinning shed in 30 minutes. Two days later, slow cook that gal over hardwood coals.....good stuff.

Got a friend of a friend that's getting paid to harvest them

Aug 4, 2014, 6:58 PM

Like you said earlier, feral is the ONLY way to go... and black oak pit cooking while babysitting a keg.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks ]

Been all over the world, including the mustard belt. It's not my first preference, but I can adjust.

Actually, I prefer no sauce at all. It hides crappy cooking.

Agree, but know we're talking almost exclusively pork in SC.***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:28 PM

They come out to 2001 and a cloud of extinguisher smoke.

Then you will hear zombie nation as they twirl white surrender flags into the air. After that, they will pick fights and curse in front of your wife and kids. If they survive this behavior, they will throw drinks at your team on the sideline.

The best news is they usually all go home to pass out or bail out their cousins by the end of the third quarter.

Message was edited by: cutigersJD®

What more do you need to know about a fanbase than

they all chant "Go C0cks" and are proud of it? Even the doods.

There's literally nothing more that can be said

Beware of the Doo Doo Ice***

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beware of the Doo Doo Ice***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:40 PM

You're the 2nd person to mention this. Now I am intrigued. Are they just using skunky water, or is there crap in the ice??

Aug 4, 2014, 5:40 PM

It smells like doo doo.

Seriously

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2014, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Beware of the Doo Doo Ice*** ]

Bottled drinks only!! I'd rather have ice from Ohio!

It started several years ago when the senior that had the...

Aug 4, 2014, 8:26 PM

recipe to make ice graduated!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For one thing, you may not have to witness

Aug 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

"banter fights" like the one the girls above are having.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Hey

Aug 4, 2014, 4:43 PM

I resemble that remark!

Seriously, there is no good answer to your question.

Aug 4, 2014, 4:45 PM

After living there for 15 years, there is really nothing outstanding at all about Columbia. The capitol building is nice and so is Mast General Store on Main Street. Other than that it's not much better than it was when Sherman burned it !

Re: Seriously, there is no good answer to your question.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:43 PM

I'm beginning to gather that. Thanks.

As a fellow Texan

Aug 4, 2014, 4:50 PM

Imagine tailgating in the city of Waco with fans with the rudeness/inferiority of Texas Tech and the arrogance of UT. The only good thing is if you find your team ahead it will quickly look like a game at Rice.

Re: As a fellow Texan

Aug 4, 2014, 5:44 PM

I think I need a shower now.

Thanks.

You forgot "with the smell of Juarez"***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:48 PM [ in reply to As a fellow Texan ]

There's a Bojangles across from the stadium

Aug 4, 2014, 4:59 PM

5 Corners is apparently where all the kids go out.

Avoid the city of Columbia all together....

Aug 4, 2014, 5:00 PM

get a hotel near one of the suburban towns surrounding Columbia. Only go into Columbia for the game. This is serious, not ragging on the rival thing, Columbia has become a cesspool. So be careful. There really aren't that many good restaurants in the Columbia area, either. So don't to expect to be wowed by any restaurant food.

Off campus stadium in the warehouse district

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM

they are trying to pretty it up but not a lot to work with. Columbia has an excellent zoo.

They pipe in a chicken crowing during the game to intimidate you.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Aug 4, 2014, 5:12 PM

Let me put it this way: The daughter of a very good friend of mine was accepted at both U.S. Carolina and Clemson. She asked her dad: How do I make this decision?. He replied: It is very easy. If you go to Clemson you'll be associating with classy, motivated students who want to accomplish something in their lives. If you go to US. Carolina you'll be known as a dirtpecker, a coot, you'll attend football games in a parking lot stadium with bunch of low lifes, etc.etc. And to boot, you'll be written out of my will if you ever attend that God foresaken place!

C'mon...$CU is a good school....

Aug 4, 2014, 5:32 PM

for people who can't get in to Furman, Wofford, Winthrop, Francis Marion, Erskine, Limestone, PC, College of Charleston, Upstate, Lander or Clemson.

Aug 4, 2014, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks ]

That has a very familiar ring to it. I'll have to remember this when the time comes for my children to select a college.

Thanks for the advice.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:13 PM

Bring some Raid and a good nose plug!!! :)

^^^Code for Mace and brass knuckles^^^***

OK, first of all read every post. After you have read every post talking about the Scar fans do this. Take "everything" you were told about them, and for your own plan of defense, believe every word you were told b/c its the truth. May God bless you, you will need it!!!

The gamecocks have a few noteworthy traditions

1. The Billy Brice Dungeon: This is where the really bad fans go when gamecock fans are escorted after being warned 5 times not to cuss at children, throw food on the field, spit tobacco on opposing fans, etc. Visiting fans get no warnings as they are simply escorted for disagreeing with gamecocks.

2. The Walk of Glory: This beautiful walk begins on USC's campus. From there you will traverse past railroad tracks and run down warehouses. You might see gamecock alumni pumping gas or flipping burgers at a run down Hardee's.

3. The Neck Sweat Rags: Gamecocks have these small white towels that they wave around at kickoff and use as sweat rags to wipe the sweat under their mullets.

Aug 4, 2014, 5:29 PM

Just go to the game and enjoy. Clemson fans on here are already obsessed with Scar bc we don't beat them anymore, lots of bitterness there. Just go and enjoy, don't look for conflict and there won't be any incidents. Tons of places to eat in Columbia, hope it's half as enjoyable as A&M's atmosphere

If you think most Clemson fans have formed their opinion of SCAR fans in the last five years you are sadly mistaken. For most it has just affirmed them.

^^This is a coot fan setting a trap, don't fall for it***

Aug 4, 2014, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks ]

Re: ^^This is a coot fan setting a trap, don't fall for it***

Right, every single Scar fan is the same. Just like every Clemson fan is the same, right? Kid that broke the rock was a Clemson fan. I'm realistic. All of you computer big guys go to games and just know your role, sit there and watch and don't start nothin, just wait til you get to the keyboard to be tough again. The 5 year drought has messed with all of y'all's head. and finishline guarantee I've been more involved, been to, and know more ab Clemson football and baseball than you. Not talkin ab bein a donor lol

Aug 4, 2014, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell me about the South Carolina Gamecocks ]

I promise to be on my best behavior, and thank you for the compliment.

Be careful.

I forget what year but the year CJ ran the opening kickoff back for a td, I fought with a coot for three quarters.

The coot said "I wish someone would break his neck." (Talking about CJ)

I thought that was far and beyond normal smack talk. We finally left in the third quarter because of my pregnant wife. If she hadn't been there me and my buddy that also went WOULD have fought the dude and his buddies. I know all Coots don't behave like that but NONE of his coot buddies in his party tried to talk sense into him which lead us to assume that they all agreed with him.

To this day, coot stadium is the ONLY stadium my wife doesn't want me at.

We've been to several games, we've been to games at Coastal Carolina(since we're 30 minutes away) and I've never heard anything close to what that moron said and repeated that day in cootlumbia.

To answer a few of your questions...

They enter the stadium to the theme from 2001 (they stole this from Elvis).

They have hedges in the stadium (stolen from UGA).

They tried a checkerboard endzone for a while (see Tennessee) but abandoned that.

They have a crowing chicken sound that plays in the loudspeaker.

That just about covers traditions.

The Blue Marlin is a good seafood restaurant a few miles from the stadium in a neighborhood called The Vista.

Now for a serious warning. Columbia is dangerous. People get shot just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stay away from the Five Points area. The university president has actually issued that same warning to students. In 2011, some fans were robbed at gunpoint right outside the stadium. Seriously, be careful and stay close to people in well-lighted areas.

I just got off of work and now joining the party.

Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM

So... just read the last post. Yep, one way to get to what they call "Billy-Brice" is by driving through the ghetto. So yeah... please be careful. Thugs are everywhere. Watch out for the non-Scar fans, too, that ain't Aggie supporters. Don't know where you are sitting, but the upperdecks do sway. Went to a concert there a little over a year ago. Upperdeck maybe half full and I thought we were gonna break off and die. Scar fans think the swaying is cool. Personally, I think it's sh!tty construction similar to what that 'Bama construction crew did to y'all's stadium. There's fine dining all around the stadium (aka the Waffle House and Bojangle's).

But please, take in all the sites and smells and sounds in. Notice the 1969 ACC Championship banner on the stadium façade. It's Scar's crowning achievement. Take pictures of it and tweet/instagram about it cuz it's just that incredible!!! Get ready to see a big chicken hiding behind a shower curtain, the shower curtain fall, and then MAGIC!!! The big chicken showed up out of nowhere!!! You would think that Scar fans over the age of 8 months old would put 2 and 2 together.... but no! IT'S MAGIC!!! Ever heard of "Sandstorm?" Well, brother, bring your glo-stix and X and get ready to listen to "Sandstorm" more times than any Jersey Shore member could ever endure. And finally, breathe in that Columbia, SC air before you depart. Smells bring back memories. When you get back to TX and pass by that first sewage treatment plant, you'll say to yourself, "Ah, reminds me of sweet, sweet Columbia, SC air the day we ended their home winning streak!!!"

Please beat them. They think they are going to beat y'all by 30 around Columbia. Bring them back down to earth.

~JKB

Make sure to read this guy's post - as it is the most accurate!!!

Aug 5, 2014, 7:38 AM

When I finally stopped laughing, I wanted to make sure that if u read any of the replies, please pay attention to this one!!

It's so funny because it's SO TRUE!

I've been to 2 games at billy brice. Both games were Tiger victories with the first being.... 63- 17 ....in favor of the Tigers. I will never go back. Ever. The 2nd game i went to, a female white shamecock student - who was a complete stranger - just took my clemson hat off of my head and started running with it. I had to chase her down to get it back. I cringe when even driving THROUGH columbia. It is the worst part about going to the beach and the worst thing about the state of South Carolina.

I just recently moved to Charlotte. I'll wear Clemson stuff from time to time (at bars, at baseball games, etc). The inferiority and "little brother syndrome" that the shamecock fans that live here have is so incredibly pathetic. Complete strangers (who are obviously shamecock fans) will poke me or get my attention only to say "boooo" or "clemson??" Or some other stupid immature comment. They will never grow up. They will live with an inferiority complex for the rest of their miserable, meaningless lives. I've never seen a clemson fan display any such similar behavior. And you know why? Because we are Clemson and we are proud.

Seriously, good luck in columbia.

You like beer?

Aug 4, 2014, 5:43 PM

Conquest Brewing and River Rat Brewery are both walking distance from the stadium. Conquest is also offering parking, 2 growlers of beer and 2 plates of food from the food truck of the day for $50. Email them at conquestbrewing@gmail.com. And Cockpit BBQ across the street from the stadium is pretty good.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You like beer?

Aug 4, 2014, 6:18 PM

Been brewing my own for 15 years. I might check one of these out. I'm always up for a growler or 2. Thanks.

Dress like you would for Ebola

Aug 4, 2014, 5:46 PM

x 2.

Link:

Aug 4, 2014, 5:47 PM

http://patch.com/south-carolina/columbia-sc/man-accused-of-robbing-four-victims-after-carolina-clemson-game#.U9_-m8nD_qA

So - being a Wofford Grad as well - I went last year

Aug 4, 2014, 5:49 PM

for the Wofford Game -

BE PREPARED TO PEE IN 1970'S ERA STAINED PEE TROUGHS -

Very disgusting...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So - being a Wofford Grad as well - I went last year

Aug 4, 2014, 6:21 PM

We just had our pisstroughs replaced at Kyle Field. Thank GOD!! Can't say that I am looking forward to reliving that.

Thanks.

Link:

Aug 4, 2014, 5:49 PM

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/29/3416963/two-men-charged-in-violent-saturday.html

Aug 4, 2014, 5:55 PM

CURRENT QB coach arrested for urinating in streets a couple years ago.

CURRENT HEAD COACH has his weekly TV show taken off air for a week because he filmed it while obviously drunk.

FORMER QB suspended from team 5 times without missing any playing time.

CURRENT HEAD Coach quoted at SEC coaches meeting as saying that the MAJORITY of the fan base would rather beat Clemson than win the SEC conference.

CURRENT HEAD COACH refuses to give press conference after local newspaper sports reporter criticizes him...not the players...but the coach

Aug 4, 2014, 6:23 PM

Yeah, the old ball coach definitely marches to a different tune.

Seriously though stay in your group

Aug 4, 2014, 6:26 PM

Coot fans are cowards, but will flock if you they find an opposing fan separated from the herd. We'll be going strong all day in Columbia with a few South Carolina fans. It helps somewhat to have a few Coots with you. I will say the majority of them are O.K. but the idiots are worse than the most inbred Bammer, and there are a bunch of idiots.

Link:

Aug 4, 2014, 5:56 PM

http://news.midlandscrimestoppers.com/2011/11/stabbing-at-pre-game-tailgate-outside.html?m=1

So seriously, the best advice is don't go.

Aug 4, 2014, 6:00 PM

But if you do, be very careful and consider taking a weapon.

Re: So seriously, the best advice is don't go.

Aug 4, 2014, 6:25 PM

Thanks for all of the information. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled, and I never travel without a difference maker. Just in case.

No, don't take the case....***

Aug 4, 2014, 6:31 PM

Well...

Aug 4, 2014, 6:40 PM

My first time in Columbia, I had trash thrown at me (as well as ice, food, and drinks), grown men cursed at me and called me names (I'm a lady so I was pretty shocked by this), and I had a drunk girl approach me in the bathroom and asked me why I preferred p***y over #####. So if that's waft you're looking for, you're in for a treat! In all honestly, I doubt they will treat you the way they treat us Clemson fans. I believe there are videos on youtube about how they treat other fans. Might wanna check it out.

Summary of responses so far...

Aug 4, 2014, 6:45 PM

First, thank you everyone for taking the time to share your observations and stories. Sounds like I would enjoy a few beers with you.

Here is what I have distilled from all of the responses thus far:

Places to Eat:
Palmetto Pig, Maurice's Piggie Park ***VERY CONTROVERSIAL*** (mustard base BBQ = gross +1, great +2), Hudson's Smokehouse (nowhere near the Roach), Berry's fried chicken, Blue Marlin (seafood), Liberty Tavern, Conquest Brewing ($50 for 2 growlers of beer and 2 plates of food), River Rat Brewery, Cockpit BBQ, 5 Corners (kids hangout - not sure if serious)

Fanbase:
Mullets, jorts, tanktops, cigs tucked under wife beater strap, lots of bulky american sports sleds, fair weather fans, Lubbock with more white trash and worse weather (not possible on both counts), pulls for SEC instead of school, likes the D, rude, mouthy, deluded, ND arrogance with Temple legacy, pick fights with opposing fans, curse in front of wife and kids

Things to do:
Tetanus booster shot, check insurance, prostitutes, use I-26 for travel out of town, travel in nondescript rental car, purchase full coverage at Hertz, just say NO to crack, Vista area near Gervais St., pepper my anus (sic), parking decisions should be carefully and thoroughly scrutinized, remove all signs of Aggie fandom on/in car, bring water purification device, stay somewhere in the suburbs, excellent zoo (not sure if serious), bring Raid bug spray and a nose plug, stick to well-lit areas while egressing stadium back to car, procure level 5 hazmat suit

Things to avoid:
Columbia (cesspool), getting shot, hitting head on rock while at Maurice's Piggy Park, gunfire, Garnet, getting car keyed, attending a game in Columbia, homeless vagrants, crack dens, getting tires slashed, tobacco spit, flying food, rule incursions, fighting a coot in front of pregnant wife, Five Points area, being robbed at gunpoint outside stadium

Stadium:
Dead cockroach, very unsanitary, empty by 3rd quarter to bail out family members

Gameday Atmosphere:
Zima, Colt 45, cow pasture water supply, Camden with bars, Walmart, warehouses everywhere, the worst you have experienced, tailgate on-campus ONLY, arrive several hours early, SCar has the nicest people you could ever meet (I'm sure that's true), smells like Juarez

Traditions:
Sandstorm (gay disco music), biblical gayness (sodom), recent success (Spurrier) belies decades of mediocrity, flipping the bird when the opposition scores, Zombie Nation, team entrance includes fire extinguisher vapor, 2001 theme is played during team entrance (stolen from Elvis), twirling white surrender flags, intimidating #### sounds during the game, the Billy Brice Dungeon, Walk of Glory, Neck Sweat Rags, field is lined with hedgerows (stolen from UGA), checkerboard endzones (stolen from UT) have since been abandoned

Let me know if I missed anything that I should definitely know. Thanks again for all of the excellent information and insights!

Nailed it!***

Aug 4, 2014, 6:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reads like an inter office deposition summary... +1.***

Aug 4, 2014, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Summary of responses so far... ]

Re: Summary of responses so far...

Aug 4, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Summary of responses so far... ]

Hit the nail on the head!

Tell ya what....

Aug 4, 2014, 6:52 PM

After you've had enough of the "experience" that is gamecock football (should take about fifteen minutes), come find me. Unfortunately, I'll be there with my coot wife and coot in laws cheering on your Aggies. I'll be the guy NOT wearing jorts, a tank top, a jersey, a mullet, garnet or black. However, I WILL be wearing my pistol.

GunTotnTigr

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I might have to look you up as well.

Aug 4, 2014, 7:11 PM

Strength in numbers my friend.

Re: Tell ya what....

Aug 4, 2014, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Tell ya what.... ]

I might just do that. Sounds like an armed escort could come in hand.

:)

Aug 4, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is a fun thread that I hate I missed today. I'd like to add that all Gamecock fans are the kind of people who would sell you a lemon at an auto dealership and not even have the common courtesy to give you $500 over trade-in value for the swap. We're dealing with scum here.

IF it were up to me, every Gamecock fan on earth would have to shop for groceries using only one (1!) of those sissy canvas bags and never have access to a proper working shopping cart again.

HTH

Really enjoyed playing you guys a few years back home and

Aug 4, 2014, 7:18 PM

home. I gained a respect for your fan base, very nice ppl for the most part and good to talk football with. I hope being in the SEC does not change your fan base.

Columbia: Lived there for a year and escaped. Some things on this board are exaggerated but they all stem from some ugly truth or another. The city is very depressing overall. Sure there are some nice looking new buildings here and there but the city as a whole is not very nice. The crime rate is incredible. I know a lot of people who have lived in Columbia for sometime or another and very few of them have not been robbed at some point while living there. There are no nice areas, as the areas that appear to be nice are a stones throw away from another gang infested government housing site.

Gamecock fans: I will say that not every Gamecock fan is a jort-wearing mullet-sporting type. They do have some really nice down to earth fans (hey my wife is one I can't totally bash) and there are a few attractive women. However the normal to jort-wearing, mullet-sporting and normal to gang boosting may shoot you in a tailgate argument ratio is one of the worst. It seems like most of the states trash congregates in Columbia on Saturdays. Every game there are lots of fights, stabbings, and a shooting about every other game. Also there are lots of homeless people and beggars around the stadium area so be prepared for that.

Tailgating and stadium: The stadium is decent size but the architecture is very lacking. Upside down cockroach (in a city completely infested w/ them no matter where you live, I lived here) is a perfect name for the look. While many colleges have tailgating on campus, USCe has theres in a Soviet style industry area that has seen its better days. They have built some condos nearby and planted some trees (Columbia is known as concrete jungle b/c its founders plowed every tree down and layer concrete for miles) but it still is less appealing than I'm guessing every other college tailgate site in the country. There traditions include running out through smoke (I know innovative) to the song 2001 and then fireworks go off and a chicken mascot rises from the smoke in a cage and starts humping the railings of the cage or at least thats what appears like from the stands.

Food: try Blue Marlin (higher end seafood), nothing else to write home about, for a city it's size Columbia has a pretty dead culinary scene. One most travel to Charleston or Greenville for blossoming culinary scenes.

I hope this helps, Go Aggies!

Re: Really enjoyed playing you guys a few years back home and

Aug 4, 2014, 7:38 PM

You thank them Palmetter Bugs are bad in Columbia? Come visit in Charleston sometime. I had one trip me while another stole my wallet once. Vicious, unforgiving creatures. The only bug I've ever seen that runs towards you instead of away.

Few other pointers left out

Aug 4, 2014, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Really enjoyed playing you guys a few years back home and ]

1. Hold your bladder as long as possible
-Not that college stadiums are known for pristine restrooms in general but at the Upsidedown Cockroach you can expect human waster over the entire floor and there are no stalls, just long horse troughs with men playing "sword fight" w/ their urine.

2. Leave yourself extra-time to get to game: Be prepared to not figure out your way around barbed wire fences
-The stadium as above is in a very old and run-down Stalin-esque industrial area and there are barbed wire fences everywhere that can be difficult to maneuver around and figure out how to get from point A to point B

3. Don't get too drunk.
-Ppl will want to fight and try and instigate fights with you (many have guns and knives and nothing to loose so be where). Also it is easy to trip on the many railroad trussels you will have to cross or the piles of trash or homeless person sleeping on the sidewalk.

4. Don't leave Texas A&M stuff on your car in the parking lot
-There is a very crime rate through out Columbia and during the game your car has a higher rate at being targeted if you leave lots of Texas A&M fan gear on your car

Probable a lot of other pointers as well.

Have a good game, best of luck, and stay safe.

Re: Few other pointers left out

Aug 4, 2014, 8:37 PM

Thanks. I'll have to add "bring catheter" to my list of "Things to do." This has certainly been an education.

Re: Really enjoyed playing you guys a few years back home and

Aug 4, 2014, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Really enjoyed playing you guys a few years back home and ]

A sincere thank you for the information! Greatness.

Sounds like I will be going from the hotel to the game, and back to the hotel to pack for Charleston. Think I'll skip the whole tailgating scene.

Aggieland is known for one of the best gameday experiences in the country. I am always happy to know that opposing fans enjoyed themselves. The SEC has been an absolute dream so far. Such a tremendous upgrade over that dumpster fire we left behind. With the decades upon decades of time-honored traditions at A&M, you don't have to worry about us changing for anyone or anything.

Thanks again for your write-up.

Gig'Em.

Aug 4, 2014, 7:20 PM

The chickens have the arrogance of Texas and the trophy case of Kansas. In fact, the same jokes that Texas fans tell on the Aggies, the Chickens use on us. So you need to do your sister university proud and put a whipping on the chickens! Go Aggies!

Ps. I have an Aggies hat that I would love to wear to work after y'all beat 'em.

Wyndue '80
Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: Wyndie®

Aug 4, 2014, 8:47 PM

Aggie jokes were born of insecurity. However, I do enjoy a good rivalry.

It's going to be a fairly tall order to knock off the ##### at home. This is a rebuilding year for our team, especially for our defense. While we have managed to recruit outstanding talent over the last 2-3 years, we are still very young and inexperienced in the front 7. This doesn't bode will against their running game, which is the strength of their offense.

I will say this. If we can slow down their run game just a little, I think we have a legit chance. Their QB relies on bubble screens and the play action pass game. Not much of a downfield threat. Our corners can shut that stuff down pretty quick.

I can guarantee you that our offense, regardless of the new QB, is going to murder them. We are stacked at receiver, our O-line is among the best in the nation, our tight end is a monster and our run game has 3 feature backs that stack up well against anyone. Expect a high scoring game.

I really hope you get to wear that hat. Take the over.

Gig'Em

Aug 4, 2014, 9:08 PM

"Their QB is not much of a downfield threat"

I love it :)

Columbia - Just one Tiger's Opinion

Aug 4, 2014, 7:23 PM

I like Yesterdays as my favorite place to eat in Columbia. It may not be your thing, its country cooking and I have never had anything there I did not like. It's right in the middle of 5-points. Otherwise Blue Marlin in the Vista is probably your best bet especially if you like seafood.

There are no bars near the stadium, you either tailgate or you take a cab/drive from downtown to the game.

I personally find their fans to be a bunch of ######## no matter who they are playing, however, have fun and enjoy the game. The women however will be great eye candy this time of year.

Take Bug Spray, Mouthwash, and carry a Weapon!!***

Aug 4, 2014, 7:48 PM

Good Ole Willie BEEEE!

Aug 4, 2014, 7:58 PM

Greetings everyone.

>I will be traveling to Columbia to attend the Texas A&M >game versus USCe on August 28th. To prepare myself and >fello A&M fans for the trip, I would like to learn about >their fanbase, their stadium, traditions of note, where >to eat, things to do, things to avoid and the overall >gameday >experience. I have read a little about the >place, but I >would like to gain from your perspective.

Oh my, where to start?

1. You will be traveling to the arm pit of South Carolina.

2. Their fan base is delusional, but harmless. Most will be too drunk to care by halftime. They are a pitiful lot of people to say the least. Add them to your prayer list, they need it.

3. Their stadium looks like an inverted #### roach and smells strongly like cow dung and Brut After Shave. So take low expectations and some nose plugs. SIDE NOTE: Do not forget to take an extra change of clothing to change into something fresh after the game.

4. South Carolina Gamecocks have a solid 117 year history of losing so you may enjoy that tradition. However, during their team entrance they use a ton of fire extinguishers. So if you have asthma then you will need your inhaler. They will also shake around white handkerchiefs as if they were at a Sunday Morning Tent Revival. No worries unless you are next to someone who just visited the bathroom. They run out of toilet paper rather quickly there. Ear plugs are recommended. Not due to the noise level, but due to them playing Sand Storm non-stop. *** They are the reason why I stopped listening to techno music.***

5. Where to eat.... Hmmm if you are Caucasian then you will be more than welcomed at Maurice's BBQ. If not then well, I wouldn't eat there. They have a history of segregation. I would just eat at Bojangles to get a sneak preview of what is going to happen on November 29th this year in Death Valley.

6. Things to do... Well, most of the players go to the brothels at 5 points, but if you're not into all of that stuff then you can visit some of their most known fans on Bull Street... You will figure it out once you arrive.

7. Things to avoid: I would say to avoid being near the side lines after the kickoff has started. Visors have been known to fly and injure innocent bystanders.

I hope you have a wonderful experience in the most awful place known to man.. In fact, I would believe that it is God's terrain model for h e l l. Hey you gotta start somewhere.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Good Ole Willie BEEEE!

Aug 4, 2014, 8:59 PM

Thank you for the comprehensive response. You have certainly verified a few things mentioned by other today of which I was previously unaware.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Re: Good Ole Willie BEEEE!

Aug 5, 2014, 10:46 AM

Hey, glad that I could be of some assistance... OORAH!

SEMPER FIDELIS

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

All you need to know.....

Aug 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

first off welcome to T-net Ag!!

Now concerning Usuck and their cesspool stadium:

1. Their fans are rude! Don't mistake this crowd for the polo and/or tie wearing crowd of your Longhirn rivals! They real of stale beer, don't shave regularly and sometimes forget what SOAP is!

2. Their stadium is filthy! Not really a bad seat in the place, but if you are planning on using a restroom?? Lysol is your best friend.

3. Their fan base has a "Bama" sized mouth....with a Vanderbilt sized trophy case. They don't win gracefully and they lose even less so. They are ignorant, rude and out and out obnoxious. If the Aggies win?? Go to your car in a large group. Seriously

4. Since you are in South Carolina do yourself a favor and try the local BBQ joints!! Not beef brisket that you are accustomed, but real pit smoked pork that is pretty good!

5. Lastly upon returning home do yourself a favor and take a really good shower and or make a Dr appointment for any communicable diseases you may have acquired while visiting the arm pit of SC!

Good luck Ag!! I hope you guys spank the crap out of them!!!

Go Tigers!!!!

The PERFECT summation of a trip to the Chicken Coop....

Aug 4, 2014, 8:24 PM

Thanks and $1 to Tiger_Swimmer!

Re: The PERFECT summation of a trip to the Chicken Coop....

Aug 4, 2014, 9:04 PM

Good lord! They make the LSU crowd look like Dartmoutn fans.

Aug 4, 2014, 9:11 PM [ in reply to The PERFECT summation of a trip to the Chicken Coop.... ]
double bird.jpg(124.3 K)

Aug 4, 2014, 10:26 PM

poor butt hurt mike.

null

an episode of Gangland was filmed in Columbia

Aug 4, 2014, 8:32 PM

invest the 45 minutes to watch this.

I lived in Columbia for about 8 years. Only robbed twice (home and car).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF01-gRZjtM

Take the full insurance option on your rental car.***

Aug 4, 2014, 9:33 PM

Aug 4, 2014, 10:27 PM

This was a great thread.

Most of the advice above has covered it.

Good luck to TAMU your fans were great when we had our Home and Home series a few years back!

null

Save your money

Aug 5, 2014, 1:37 AM

I have been multiple times. In fact, I wasnt a fan of football before I attended Clemson. Ive been to Willy B more than I would ever want to, being young and dragged their by family. Its a bad place.

The actual stadium is several miles from campus in an industrial area. There is nothing pretty about it. It is surrounded by some run down warehouses, a giant gravel lot, and another large parking lot. You get a lovely view of a junkyard from the upper decks, which by the way are structurally unstable. The university currently has plans to rennovate or totally destroy and rebuild the upper decks in 10 years. During big games, you can literally see the upper decks sway and bend under the stress of all the fans. If the coots are losing and its quiet, you can even FEEL and HEAR the stadium creaking and groaning. Not to mention it is VERY cramped. You will have to squeeze through a tunnel barely wide enough for 2 people to get to your seats.
Likewise, I advise you to look at a criminal heat map for the city. The stadium is located im a very bad place. In fact, the district the stadium is located is one of the most dangerous areaz in SC. Statistically, more violent crime occurs in that area of Columbia than 95% of the state. That is a criminal statistic you can look up with the Columbia PD, FBI stats, et . I have heard multiple gun shotd multiple times at games.

I am in Tiger Band, and the only time I've been there in Clemson colors (except for the 2000 "zero" game) has been with the band. In my experience with the 2013 game: Our busses pull up to the stadium. We are immediately met with a mob of coot fans who begin throwing bottles and attempting to flip one of the busses. Yes, a mob of coot fans surrounded a Clemson MARCHING BAND bus and tried to tip it with people on board. Through the night bottles were thrown, sending a few people to the hospital, we were spat on, pissed on (yes, a coot fan urinated on one of our female saxophone players), sworn at, punched, kicked, and shoved around. I even saw a cop on a bycicle accidentally run into a Clemson fan while "escorting" us to the stadium. What did he do? He tazed and then handcuffed the Clemson fan, who was in his mid 60's and sitting in a chair talking to his toddler grandson. Even the cops are coots (Unless they are SLED officers, our state troopers. If you want to be safe, SLED will watch out for you). If you can, take all of your A&M gear off your car. I drove to Columbia with a friend to meet the band. We returned to her car which was missing its back windshield. They didn't even take the radio or her macbook, they just smashed the window because it had a Clemson sticker on it.

Minus the busted window, I experienced all of the above every time I've gone to a game there. The awful behavior is not even discouraged by the fans or the University, its welcomed with open arms. Though what can you expect when their mascot comes from illegal chicken fighting gamblimg.

Columbia is not a nice city, it has some of the highest drug rates and violent crime rates in the south. I have been refused service at multiple restaurants in Columbia because I had Clemson gear on, usually wearing anything but coot gear will get you many fingers and most likely many scratches on your car. The whole city is a dump.

It is a very, very unpleasant experience. Even when I was young, wearing neutral colors, and accompanying my uncle who is a USuC alumni I have never seen more awful and violent behavior than at Williams Brice.

Awful, rude, and nasty is one thing. UGA, LSU at home, NC State, West Virginia are all rude and vulgar, and I mean just absolute trash, but most of it is vocal. But I have never seen a fanbase as violent as USuC. Their fans are generally always angry and are very prone to striking out. Never have I seen a fanbase so rabid and hungry to physically harm opposing fans than USuC, whether it be urinating on fans, punching, hitting with bottles, keying or smashing windows in cars, shootings, fights, etc. In fact, almost every game you will hear gunshots. At least I have every time I've gone, which is 7 times over the past 14 years, which is 7 games too many.

For crying out loud, the sound system they use in their stadium is this mobile 4 speaker 100 watt POS portable PA system. They can't even afford a real sound system for that massive jumbotron that doesn't even have a good picture to it.

Just save your money for the bowl game A&M will be in.

Apologies on typos, I'm working from my phone.

Aug 5, 2014, 3:18 AM

GoodAg, In WWII aTm sent more men into the military as officers than any college other than the military academies(Army and Navy). Little old Clemson was next just behind aTm. We both hold our veterans in high esteem....Good Bull and Gig'em....Jaybird4

Perspective from someone who's been to games at Kyle Field

Aug 5, 2014, 8:16 AM

I went to the Ms State game at Kyle Field last year and the Baylor game the year before that. I work for someone on the TAMU Board of Regents and will be hosting some members of their family for the TAMU-USuC game. Fortunately I have Gamecock friends we will be tailgating with.

Unless you have been to an LSU night game you have never seen anything like you will at USuC.

PRIOR TO THE GAME:
They will probably not treat you as badly as they do us. However, they hate everything agricultural (idiots don't know where their food comes from) so look for them to lump you in with us as bash you as "farmers".

If you have some coots to hang with you are less likely to be abused.

Before the alcohol kicks in you may find some nice ones that will invite you to their tailgate. Look for older people nicely dressed. They're not many of them so they're easy to spot.

DURING THE GAME:
If you are losing they will be nicer to you. However, if you are winning as the night and alcohol wear on you will be abused more and more.

AFTER THE GAME:
If you lose I suggest either beat their crowd out early or stay as long as possible in the stadium (until the most of the coots have left) and walk out with as many fellow Aggies as possible. I am not kidding. They will encroach on your personal space as you walk and yell "How 'Bout them #####" at the top of their lungs directly in your ear - just beginning for a fight.

A SEPARATE WORD ON TAILGATING:
You guys have come up in the world of tailgating the last couple of years but I think you have a long way to go to catch up with us - which is why I hope you make it to a Clemson game. Imagine 95% of your fan base spending hours before and after the game, row upon row of brightly colored tents and the smell of grilling wafting through the air while kids play. Imagine this as far as the eye can see in a beautiful picturesque college town:

If they win, they will chant SEC

Aug 5, 2014, 10:20 AM

If you win they win chant SEC

If you go, extend your staff a couple of days, go to Hilton Head Island or Kiawah to mentally recover, stop by an Urgent Care facility for antibiotics and on the flight home dont look out the window 10 minutes in.

You will want the beaches to be the last thing you remember about the State

PS- Please win! If you can get ahead by 3 TD's by half, you will have the stadium to yourself. Be sure to notice their banner from 1533 when they won a conference championship and if you buy from concession stand, while I am sure the whole "dont drink the ice thing" has been covered, see if you can get your bill to total $63.17

Oh how they love that!

Now this is how you troll

Aug 5, 2014, 10:26 AM

Bravo. I wish I knew what your other handle was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Now this is how you troll

Aug 5, 2014, 11:46 AM

Not trolling at all Classof09. In fact, I would love to hear from you. Please take a look at the summary that I put together a little earlier in this thread, and explain where I am being misled. I have independently verified information about the stadium, the city, the crime issues, the tailgating scene, the campus culture, the stadium atmosphere, the treatment that opposing fans can expect and the Cockaboose Railroad. Clemson fans have naturally taken a few liberties in their responses here, but I see a lot of truth as well. Please break down the discrepancies for me.

Thanks in advance.

Don't bother with 09, goodag. He/she is one of the coots

Aug 5, 2014, 12:25 PM

on here that debates for sake of divisiveness instead of for the sake of general football comraderie or learning.

It's useless to talk to him/her cause he/she will never admit fault in anything

Re: Don't bother with 09, goodag. He/she is one of the coots

Aug 5, 2014, 12:30 PM

I gathered as much. I never expected an answer anyway.

It's so sad to see anyone live in that kind of denial.

Doo doo ice, #### in a box(#### y in box), crackheads,

Aug 5, 2014, 12:09 PM

Warehouses, fire extinguishers, rooster crowing( but they call us rednecks) hot with no trees, drunks...the list goes on and on

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Traditions"? Bwahahahaha!....they don't have any.

Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

eom

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 5, 2014, 5:05 PM

My wife tells me though that we'll be leaving for the upstate again soon.

You'll be very close to two places of food and nightlife. Five Points and The Vista. Don't go to Five Points. It's just too risky these days, especially to visiting fans. I don't know who all you're bringing and what kind of money you want to spend but the only restaurant in Five Points I recommend is Cellar on Green.

There are a few places scattered around the downtown area but I'll focus on The Vista. You're a lot less likely to be given any crap in The Vista because frankly most people there (excepting the Wild Hare and Flying Saucer) could care less if you're wearing Aggie gear.

In The Vista you have a great multitude of places to eat. Good restaurants are the Blue Marlin, Liberty Taproom, Gervais and Vine, SakiTumi, Colas, and Thirsty Fellow. Do some Google research because some of those are expensive. There is also a Ruth's Chris nearby. The only places I'd stay away from in The Vista is Tacosushi and Ristorante Divino, they just don't have good food IMO. You have a good deal of chain restaurants to chose from as well like 5 Guys, Wild Wings, Jason's Deli, Chipotle, etc, which are all good. Flying Saucer is likely to be pretty crazy, but the waitresses all wear nice school-girl skirts and they have a lot on tap.

If you've never had SC BBQ then just head over to a little spot slightly southeast (a couple of blocks only) of The Vista called Palmetto Pig, which someone else mentioned earlier. It's on Divine Street, not to be confused with the 5 Points Divine Street. This one is off of Huger St and beside a Todd & Moore shop. It's $11.50 for the buffet which includes BBQ, fried chicken, hash, and the usual. I eat in there all the time with a Clemson hat or shirt and never catch any flack.

As for the game. Arrive early. DO NOT park in any park-here-for-$20 lots. Your car will get broken into and/or be missing it's tires when you get back.

Don't order a drink with ice once you are in the stadium. It just tastes funny. True story.

DO NOT go south of the stadium. It is NOT a good neighborhood. Even if someone tells you to eat at Bernie's or Doc's BBQ, do not go south of the stadium.

Starting around 2-3pm traffic will be really bad. I do not work downtown anymore but they make a lot of roads one-way-only roads close to game time and remember you will be fighting a lot of I-want-to-get-home-now people during a 5pm commute.

Aug 5, 2014, 6:14 PM

"You can't handle the truth!!"***

Aug 5, 2014, 6:24 PM

Re: "You can't handle the truth!!"***

Aug 6, 2014, 9:36 AM

Youtube their opening act. It's hilarious and disturbing at the same time.
They unveil a live chicken to the 2001 theme. Bad techno music plays while people wave towels, then they wheel out a pvc portashower stall thing, spray fire extinguishers at it, and a person in the most ridiculous bird (maybe it's a bird. Hard to tell. See for yourself) costume is revealed. There will likely be a ginger wearing chicken pajamas, a tophat, and cane cheerleading on the field. I think it's a student, so you may not get to experience that if he's graduated.

Google their plumbing/sewage issues. Do not get ice if you buy a soda or water.

Not all their fans are bad- I know a lot of Carolina grads (and some non-alumni who simply like that football team)who are awesome folks. Still, though every fan base has its share of nuts, the Cack base seems to have received an extra helping, and obnoxiousness is generally encouraged among that group.

The zoo in Columbia is not far, and it's top-notch. There's also a big mall up the road in Irmo. That's about it.

Oh- and mustard-based sauce is good. You'll be in SOUTH Carolina. Mustard based is the correct one. May as well try it while here.

Replies: 196
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic