Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now, there's big $$$ involved .... one year of TV $$$
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Now, there's big $$$ involved .... one year of TV $$$

May 9, 2012, 7:25 AM

to payoff our ACC buyout. Not bad.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/08/fsu-and-the-big-xii/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville to be FSU's partner rather than Clemson?

May 9, 2012, 7:45 AM

Are you kidding me? I can't understand the reluctance that some have about going to the Big 12. If FSU goes and we stay behind, then we become a Big East school. PERIOD. Are people going to be happy with that? Oh, yes, at least we have an easier route to winning the ACC. Whoopee. We can then have a trophy, just like Southern Miss does in Conference USA; just like Georgia Southern does in the Southern Conference. But how will our program be perceived nationally? Answer: one of the taller midgets in the country. If FSU goes along with Louisville while we stay behind, I'm just going to throw my hands up in disgust and literally throw up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Louisville to be FSU's partner rather than Clemson?

May 9, 2012, 10:23 AM

And you could have Jesus in person recruiting for us, and maybe pick up a One or Two star player that no other D1 school wanted. Yeaaaa, lets stay in the ACC-least and be as a whisper. And if we do stay ACC, please take the coots off our schedule. I would hate for us to become be their practice dummies year in and out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AKA Boise St.***

May 9, 2012, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Louisville to be FSU's partner rather than Clemson? ]

You have to love the media's confidence in Florida State

May 9, 2012, 8:00 AM

"Plus, if the divisions in the Big XII were reestablished, it’s possible the Seminoles could replace Missouri in the Big XII North, which would almost guarantee them a path to the championship game every year."

ooooo Kay

If FSU leaves and Louisville is the other choice...

May 9, 2012, 8:37 AM

we are screwed.

FSU has same problem we do. If they want to fill the stadium

May 9, 2012, 8:39 AM

then try winning consistently again. Win and they will come.

Exactly. If we (ACC) could just win more OOC games we

May 9, 2012, 8:44 AM

wouldn't be having this discussion. End of story. Time to step up to the plate and earn some respect - OR - continue to be laughed at. The choice is ours.

Even when you do not win, play good teams and the fans will

May 9, 2012, 8:45 AM [ in reply to FSU has same problem we do. If they want to fill the stadium ]

show up. Undefeated teams playing Duke, Wake, BC, etc have empty seats.

Re: FSU has same problem we do. If they want to fill the stadium

May 9, 2012, 10:29 AM [ in reply to FSU has same problem we do. If they want to fill the stadium ]

We are now winning with things set for us to keep winning. Dabo has put many hours into getting us back to the old ways of Clemson being a very good FB school again. If you or anyone can't see that, move the FK on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won the ACC last year but, failed to finish in the Top 20

May 9, 2012, 8:52 AM

We got our butts kicked by the 4th best team in the SEC. If FSU leaves, we should leave with them. If we don't, prepare to see a decline in clemson football that will be nightmarish. Scott Rymer can repeatedly say that winning the ACC is our new rival. But, he is WRONG!!!! If we were in a football conference, maybe. But we are not.

Re: We won the ACC last year but, failed to finish in the Top 20

May 9, 2012, 9:03 AM

"If FSU leaves we should leave with them." Well, exactly how do you propose we do that if we're not invited. You people seem to constantly forget that this is a two way street. You have to be invited to another conference BEFORE YOU CAN LEAVE. If FSU leaves, they leave. And that's it. I don't think they're leaving. I KNOW Clemson ain't leaving.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, OK, you KNOW that.

May 9, 2012, 9:13 AM

Riiiiiiight. You KNOW that. Uh huh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Now, there's big $$$ involved .... one year of TV $$$

May 9, 2012, 9:08 AM

Bottom line is, Swofford is perhaps the worst commissioner in college athletics. Period. If we don't leave now, we're completely screwed by staying in the ACC and any future bargaining power/leverage will be even further diminished by staying.

May 9, 2012, 9:13 AM

Why would FSU want to be in the big 12 north? I mean FSU should just join the pac 12 instead.

North or South...whats the difference? You only travel

May 9, 2012, 9:26 AM

to half of them each year and a flight is a flight from Tallahassee.

Fsu aint leavin without

May 9, 2012, 9:29 AM

us...plain and simple...We have just as much appeal to the big 12 as does fsu

Re: Fsu aint leavin without

May 9, 2012, 9:34 AM

Huh? They have a better football tradition than we do and, they are in a bigger state than us.

May 9, 2012, 9:38 AM

I didnt argue against that...I merely said us as a football program is as attarctive to another conference

May 9, 2012, 9:52 AM

I'm not sure how we are an equal football attraction. But whatever. We should not stay behind while they go to the Big 12. Our football program will be handicapped.

May 9, 2012, 10:09 AM

Well obviously they had a better run but we have everything that you need here to have the same kind of success...the potential at clemson is great thats why we are a great appeal

If FSU leaves and, we opt to stay in the ACC,

May 9, 2012, 10:12 AM

there will be a meltdown here of epic proportions that will last for a long time. Unlike the FSU fans from what I've read, our fanbase is split about going to the Big 12. We need to get on board unless we want to become a minor player in college football.

Re: If FSU leaves and, we opt to stay in the ACC,

May 9, 2012, 10:21 AM

I honestly cant understand why a clemson fan would be against this....But outside of thge message boards I would really think that more clemson fans are on board

a clemson fan or clemson football fan?***

May 9, 2012, 10:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a clemson fan or clemson football fan?***

May 9, 2012, 10:31 AM

Is there a difference...Im a clemson graduate and fan...I dont just cheer for clemson football..and I cant understand how anybody could

the reasons to stay or go would be different. why not be

May 9, 2012, 10:38 AM

a part of a conference with the likes of duke, wake, unc, uva, miami, syr, pitts, bc; these are student-athletes aren't they?

just asking; seems most are driven by some knee jerk, 'my love for clemson begins and ends with the football program', emotion.

there are lots of options.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the reasons to stay or go would be different. why not be

May 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

well yes but my love for clemson makes me want the best in all areas...these student athletes also deserve the best. Also the money that we can get from the big 12 can help the entire school out

i'd have to see the projections on both before making that

May 9, 2012, 10:48 AM

choice; there are significant costs involved.

get me those pro formas and we can have an educated discussion on what's best for clemson.

Re: i'd have to see the projections on both before making that

May 9, 2012, 11:22 AM

Well I wish I had the details on how much the television deal would bring in. It would help our basketball programs so much and even our baseball program. The money from that could really help us with major needed upgrades to basketball faci;ities and also help us be even more competitive with assistant coach salaries in those other sports

not an attack, but until you know, it's a completely

May 9, 2012, 11:27 AM

emotional decision.

Re: not an attack, but until you know, it's a completely

May 9, 2012, 11:38 AM

I understand but I dont have the link but it was posted awhile back(maybe on TI) what the big 12 tv contract andd acc's tv contract was. It was a major difference. I hate to admit this but just loomk and see what the sec money has done for that school down the road. It really has had a major impact on all their sports and facility upgrades

they had money before the contract, they just found someone

May 9, 2012, 11:41 AM

that is driven and committed to spending it.

again, you have no idea of the impact on the bottomline once everything is taken into consideration yet you're promoting 'anarchy'?

Re: they had money before the contract, they just found someone

May 9, 2012, 11:44 AM

come on now...now youre being rediculous...If you wanna keep your head burried in the sand then so be it

it's ridiculous and just because you don't have the good

May 9, 2012, 11:51 AM

sense that gawd gave you, doesn't mean my head is buried in the sand.

i asked a very specific question about your thought process, it amazes me how 'nervous' people get when they can't back up what they're selling.

you can't. you have no idea. south carolina doesn't have to move one inch or adapt their costs or management to make something happen, yet you want to compare the two scenarios?

you are pimping a move and have NO information as to the final, fiscal impact or the other soft costs involved in such an uprooting.

i don't have the answer either, but i'm not promoting the move one way or the other, just want people to take pause and THINK.

i know it's too much to ask around these parts at times.

Re: it's ridiculous and just because you don't have the good

May 9, 2012, 11:59 AM

HA what am I nervous about and How was I not clear about my thought process? Im pimping a move? How so?

May 9, 2012, 12:08 PM

"I honestly cant understand why a clemson fan would be against this..."

i gave you the why or at least some of the why and my head's in the sand? i don't think so.

and yes, you were clear about the lack of information you used to suggest/support it.

May 9, 2012, 12:12 PM

What information do you want me to have?? Obviously you know I wont have the details that school officials do so thats why you can shoot my post down and try and look like a big shot

so i'm pointing out the obvious and you honestly can't

May 9, 2012, 12:19 PM

understand WHY any clemson fan could be against this?

i'm not trying to be anything.

what are you trying to be?

Here you go

May 9, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: not an attack, but until you know, it's a completely ]

Sports Business Journal article from Feb speculating on the new ACC deal worth between $14-$15 million a year for the ACC schools through 2026.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/06/Colleges/ACC-TV.aspx

CBS sports article from May 7th on the Big XII verbally agreeing to their deal
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/18984821/big-12-verbally-agrees-to-new-espnfox-deal

$20 million per school thru 2025.

Both the Pac 12 and B1G are paying around $21 million per school. The SEC is projected to be around $22-$23 million per school.

May 9, 2012, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Fsu aint leavin without ]

They may want to extend their footprint in a direction other than SC.

This is about television sets and the Palmetto State has fewer than some mid-sized cities in other states.

May 9, 2012, 10:22 AM

haha and ky is better

Nahhhhh....

May 9, 2012, 10:23 AM

We need to stay right here. The ACC is an elite group. Membership increases the value of the education.

Re: Nahhhhh....

May 9, 2012, 10:32 AM

wow

May 9, 2012, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Fsu aint leavin without ]

I don't if they have a better tradition over all than we do

May 9, 2012, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Fsu aint leavin without ]

Does Clemson 6 of 9 over FSU tell you anything!!!

USuCk pretty much get the SC players for two reasons.

May 9, 2012, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Fsu aint leavin without ]

HS coaches' love for ##### and the "SEC,' recruiting line. That's not to say we don't get some super guys from SC.

The FSU/Clemson recruiting in Fla is almost equal. Considering the recruiting only factor FSU is most likely preferred.

Considering the TV audience Fla is hands down a better market.

For economics and recruiting if I were the b12 commish I would take Miami and FSU over Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USuCk pretty much get the SC players for two reasons.

May 9, 2012, 10:44 AM

we do better recruiting nationally than coots do,they do better in state because of a larger alumni base

OK, that is just repeating what I said.

May 9, 2012, 10:51 AM

You even made my case better.

Clemson recruits well in Florida. Clemson would add nothing to the B12 recruiting that FSU could not add alone.

That leaves only the TV market. FSU would bring in the Florida market while Clemson would only bring the SC market.

That leaves us unequal. FSU is complaining about their revenues being smaller. Evidently, the economy is not the only blame here. Clemson is not in financial trouble. I am not a mind to believe we need any more money for better football. Truth is, if Clemson had another 20 million a year the money wouldn't be spent on football it would go to womens swimming and olympic basketweaving or some other bullchit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, that is just repeating what I said.

May 9, 2012, 11:19 AM

Obviously the florida TV market is bigger. But Im not following your point...we dont attarct the big 12 because we offer no recruiting advantage? Yes we need the money...of course all that money wouldnt all be spent on football, It would help our other sports like mens basketball and baseball along with womens basketball get better. No way WV adds anything more than what we can to the big 12

I'll try to stay off my high hoars here.

May 9, 2012, 12:05 PM

"we dont attarct the big 12 because we offer no recruiting advantage?"

We are attractive to the B12 but not as a recruiting advantage. B12 will gain little from recruiting SC. Men's basketball contributes 40% of our athletic budget so I wouldn't expect any more money to go toward that program.

Wimmins should make sammiches while Clemson is on the field and future Clemson Tigers for halftime entertainment.

I don't like where we are and some of the changes that might be coming but before we become proactive on this issue we need try and take a better look before we leap.

Re: I'll try to stay off my high hoars here.

May 9, 2012, 12:11 PM

well of course we have to examine every detail...thats why we have a BOT thats their job....Well I would be shocked that we wouldnt use some of that money to build a practice facility for mens basketball...and to get the Oculus built on the west end of the stadium

Re:Overall, I think we do a better job of recruiting instate

May 9, 2012, 11:14 AM [ in reply to USuCk pretty much get the SC players for two reasons. ]

players.

Re:Overall, I think we do a better job of recruiting instate

May 9, 2012, 11:24 AM

We had a great year last year...2014 class will be interesting to see if we can beat them on some kids because sc will be loaded....Unfortunately they have more pockets instate in which they can pull from

I was not considering the quality of character here.

May 9, 2012, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re:Overall, I think we do a better job of recruiting instate ]

Just the output on the field. We hold our own in football quality players and quality of character is a great much better for us.

May 9, 2012, 11:24 AM

I asked this question lastnight

since this discussion of the Big 12/Clemson,FSU, expansion is a what if game, what about this. Lets say Big 12 offers Clemson membership and Clemson declines. There is no SEC offers. Then the ACC can't get ND (or Penn State for those who wishes big) to join. Would most you feel like it was a mistake by sticking with the ACC or would you regret not taking the Big 12 offer? To throw a wrench in this...Swofford remains commish.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2012, 11:30 AM

It would be a HUGE mistake and one that could ruin clemson athletics

May 9, 2012, 11:33 AM

would that feeling change if FSU stays in the ACC?

May 9, 2012, 11:34 AM

No

There will be no SEC offer.

May 9, 2012, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Now, there's big $$$ involved .... one year of TV $$$ ]

FSU, from what I read, has financial problems. They will straighten that out next year when they become aware that Bimbo has been running their program for almost a decade and fire his useless ###. I've been saying this for four years now. It wouldn't surprise me if the offer the B12 made was contingent on both Clemson and FSU as a package deal.

We won't go and FSU will survive where they are.

Swofford may survive this debacle but I still will not believe it would be a mistake standing by our administration's decision.

Clemson is mine. Not because Clemson belongs to me but because I belong to Clemson.

None of us know what is going on in the 'front office.' As far as I'm concerned the management has spent 30 years creating and maintaining a clean program while making Clemson one of the finest public academic instution in the country. We are moving toward the top (usually the right direction) in football and basketball.

Now T-Netters want to try and dictate major moves with nothing but speculation and supposition?

Re: There will be no SEC offer.

May 9, 2012, 12:28 PM

Why do some of yall get so defensive when on a message board(which shoul be used for discussions) peoplediscuss their opinions of either switching conferences or concerns about dabo ect...

Don't take it personally.

May 9, 2012, 12:39 PM

I just gave an opinion. I thought this was the point of message boards.

We got people on here from other schools who like nothing more than divide Clemson by selling bad ideas. You think that OU cares about Clemson? Their conference is falling apart at the seams. Every time a team leave the B12 UT takes a bigger chunk from OKU's butt.

Do they want Clemson to join? Certainly, but we ain't going. They want Clemson and FSU for a variety of reasons. Football, baseball, basketball and the ever sought after academic standing our schools bring. FSU might be poor enough to step in the septic tank for a few bucks but Clemson won't. Money is not the end all to our problem. I wish folks would wait until we have a team worthy of playing for a national championship before they reinvent the wheel to get us in the game.

Re: Don't take it personally.

May 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

Well I wasnt saying you..but some here get so bent out of proprotion its like they are all realted to dabo. Now This big 12 situation.I guess my motives are selfish, I personally want out of the acc. I think the leadership in this conference is weak..I think the athletics have gone down hill and I want us to be apart of something better

Re: Don't take it personally.

May 9, 2012, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Don't take it personally. ]

I understand that concern b/c of what happened to the Big 12 in the last two years. Anytime a team leave, you can question what is going on with that conference. But I will disagree that it is falling apart at the seams. Last year I would have agreed with your statement b/c it was looking like OU and others were looking at leaving the Big 12. But all of the school came together and agreed to stay. They all showed that committment after things settled down a bit. Currently, I would say that the Big 12 is nowhere new as strong as other conferences but they are far awsy from folding. If they were folding, then they would have never hired a new commish, added two teams, and agreed to a huge tv deal with ESPN. Being an OU fan, I've talked to many other Sooner fans and a lot of them like the idea if the Big 12 could get FSU and Clemson. Now, this is some of the fans opinon and not the schools.

Agree.***

May 9, 2012, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: There will be no SEC offer. ]

It would be a monumental blunder rivaling the long-term,

May 9, 2012, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Now, there's big $$$ involved .... one year of TV $$$ ]

not short-term, blunder of not walking out of the ACC with SCar in 1971.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic