Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack

Mar 18, 2015, 5:51 AM

Who do we target? Corbin obviously, but would he come back after just winning a championship? Who else is on the short list and how much are we willing to pay for a baseball coach?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack

Mar 18, 2015, 6:35 AM

I have been a fan of Leggett in the past but I am not opposed to firing him at this point. But you need to understand that none of his coaching tree including Corbin or O'Sullivan are following him here. largely out of respect too him. Furthermore, we will not be able to compensate them as well as Vandy or Florida. Also be careful what you wish for. I do not trust Radokovich to make a good hire. His hiring history At GT is not good. Unless you want someone from GT as are most of his hires at Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points

Mar 18, 2015, 6:41 AM

The most concerning thing to me is DRad's previous hiring failures. I would like to think we can attract an established coach here but who really knows.

Re: Good points

Mar 18, 2015, 7:09 AM

So in summary, if we handle this situation like most projects should be handled, and follow the 'critical path', then we must fire DRad FIRST, and then we can move on to the next task???

I have not seen any "Fire DRad" posts so far - so wazzup wit' dat?

Wait for it

Mar 18, 2015, 7:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIRE DRAD!!***

Mar 18, 2015, 1:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Excellent point about D-Rad, I dont trust him to fire Jack

Mar 18, 2015, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack ]

or go out and make a good hire afterwards. I'm almost guessing that Jack will be back next year. I dont think DRad wants to be the guy to fire anybody.

marlborocountycoot = tigerfanjack = alltimeClemson

Mar 18, 2015, 8:09 AM

Re: Excellent point about D-Rad, I dont trust him to fire Jack

Mar 18, 2015, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Excellent point about D-Rad, I dont trust him to fire Jack ]

Can you imagine the out cry for D Rats head if he doesn't do something to try and save one of the winningest programs that Clemson has had for over 40 years. If D Rat don't convince Jack that its over for him at Clemson, he really should be tarred and cooted!!! But, as has been discussed, what is D Rats recorded in hiring a coach?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They might.***

Mar 18, 2015, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack ]

Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts on tnet about

Mar 18, 2015, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack ]

poor hiring decisions made by D-Rad at GT...what bad decisions did he make?

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts on tnet about

Mar 18, 2015, 8:50 AM

Monte Lee, no...was a coot assistant.

Gilmore will never leave Coastal, especially now that they have a better ballpark.

Scott Forbes, are you kidding??

Some of the names you threw out were pointless, stabs in the dark.

We need to have Jack find someone and I don't mean Lecroy or Pep. Going to take some lumps removing a HOF coach but see FSU football.

Those are bad D-Rad hires?***

Mar 18, 2015, 8:56 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts on tnet about

Mar 18, 2015, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts on tnet about ]

Good grief man...have Leggett find someone??? You're on a roll with the moronic posts

I still don't believe in Paul Johnson.

Mar 18, 2015, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts on tnet about ]

He had one decent and one good year with Gailey's players in 08 and 09, and one good year last year but still didn't win the ACC. From 2010-2013 GT was 28-25 and Johnson was on about as hot a seat as you can get going into last season.

Brian Gregory is terrible.

That's all I got.

To be fair

Mar 20, 2015, 3:27 PM

everything I have heard from my GT friends is that Johnson was more of a GTAA hire than one DRad forced through. They also state that Johnson has faced a lot of hurdles thrown in his way getting players in by the GT Admin after some issues Gailey had.

Gregory's hire was lauded at the time after the success he had at Dayton. He had won the NIT (beating UNC) and had finished ranked #14 in the country a few years before he was hired. Gregory was one of the hottest "up and coming" coaches at the point Tech hired him. For whatever reason that hasn't worked out for the Jackets, but the initial hire was somewhat of a coup for Tech.

If Jack really cared about the program, he would give his

Mar 18, 2015, 7:34 AM

blessing to anyone in his coaching tree that may want to come. He could recruit them to come himself which would put him in a much better light here than he is in now. Basically, I've taken it as far as I can and want to hand it off to you to take it to the next level. Win-win for all.

That is if he cares more about Clemson than just Jack.

ZERO chance for Corbin or Sully to come to CU, imo....

Mar 18, 2015, 7:45 AM

and most know neither of them would be my choice either fwiw

why wouldnt u want them

Mar 18, 2015, 8:20 AM

Highly successful

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why wouldnt u want them

Mar 18, 2015, 8:22 AM

Very successful and great personal friends. My son played for them during that period and we all enjoyed it very much and their follow on success was no surprise at all. But, I simply think there is a better fit out there for what the program needs right now.

I'm not sure I want somebody associated either but if Rad

Mar 18, 2015, 8:22 AM [ in reply to ZERO chance for Corbin or Sully to come to CU, imo.... ]

wants to go that route, Jack should help not deter it.

Re: ZERO chance for Corbin or Sully to come to CU, imo....

Mar 18, 2015, 9:19 AM [ in reply to ZERO chance for Corbin or Sully to come to CU, imo.... ]

I would take Corbin for sure in a fast second. I think if I remember correctly, with Jack as HC and Corbin as his assistant, we were a .715 team while Corbin was here. We haven't been that good since then I don't think!!!

Corbin would have been great 5 years ago

Mar 18, 2015, 10:41 AM [ in reply to ZERO chance for Corbin or Sully to come to CU, imo.... ]

Just think we need to go in a different direction. Its not like he'd be too old. What is Corbin, early 50s? A 10-15 year tenure might be the right length. 20+ is proving to be too long.

But I really think we need a style change within the program. There has been such a change in the way baseball is taught at early ages to really focus on power (especially in our recruiting area) that we need to ride that wave. Hire a top notch pitching coach to develop talent and not try to recruit it. Most of the good pitchers are having their arms destroyed young anyway! We used to be hit for average and aggressive on the bases. You don't see the prospects with the outrageous averages anymore, but you do hear about the one's with crazy power.

Keep Sully in Gainesville. Wouldn't even give him a call.

Re: Corbin would have been great 5 years ago

Mar 18, 2015, 10:47 AM

When Sully left our pitching went down and he has led Florida to great things

We have PEP now as a so called pitching coach which he is NOT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kyle Bunn was as good or better than Sully

Mar 18, 2015, 10:53 AM

and we paid him around 70k. We lost him to Bama for around 100k and an allowance for a car for recruiting.

Thus, we have Pep.

Re: Kyle Bunn was as good or better than Sully

Mar 18, 2015, 11:04 AM

Yeah that was ridiculous

Mar 18, 2015, 11:12 AM

Heavy so you'd like to let DRad hire our new coach? Jack should've brought someone new in to be the next HC in waiting. He got pep so he was pretty much glad to hire someone who will never be a hc at a d1 school.

Starting to think that was the plan and JL is going to take us for the loooong ride.

Mar 18, 2015, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Kyle Bunn was as good or better than Sully ]

plus, jack was hamstrung with money allowances with the hiring of pep also. if you want top quality coaches, get off the #### hip

TOTALLY WRONG*

Mar 18, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Kyle Bunn was as good or better than Sully ]

What part?

Mar 18, 2015, 12:28 PM

http://blog.al.com/tide-source/2010/06/100000_pitch_helped_lure_assis.html

This was from the Super Regional against Bama. I thought our pitching was improving under Bunn and fell off with Pep.

Re: What part?

Mar 18, 2015, 12:31 PM

As a coach Sully was head and shoulders above Bunn, at least my opinion

You'd be a better judge of actual coaching ability than me

Mar 18, 2015, 12:50 PM

results wise, I thought our pitching was equal or better under Bunn than Sully. Bunn seemed to teach them to pitch, Sully seemed more like a "second head coach" that had pitching responsibilities. Obviously its been years, but IIRC my first thought during Bunn's tenure was "at least we throw that 0-2 pitch in a place where they MIGHT swing." Under Sully we threw that 0-2 so far out of the zone nobody looked at it. Sully and Bunn obviously had 2 different career aspirations so that could account for what we see different. And maybe part of it is that Bunn wasn't here long enough for me to see the results fall off.

But it doesn't change the fact that our admin had/has been trying to do baseball on the cheap. I think that cost us a good coach and maybe it the reason we have what I think is an average to below average coach now. I work with a former Clemson pitcher who had talked with Jack about an opening (maybe it was Lecroy's) and he could make far more as an entry level sales person than as a baseball coach. I couldn't tell you if that is a Clemson problem or a college baseball problem.

If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication...

Mar 18, 2015, 7:51 AM

I have very little confidence that DRad will make a good hire if the decision is ultimately made ot part ways with Leggett.

With respect to potential replaments, I think some of the names that you might hear mentioned would include;

Casey Dunn from Samford

Monte Lee from C of C

Kevin McMullan assistant at UVa

Cliff Godwin from ECU (former assistant at Ole Miss)

Scott Forbes assistant at UNC

Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist

Tom Riginos from Winthrop (a JL disciple)

Bobby Moranda from Western Carolina

Greg Starbuck from Elon, and

Gary Gilmore from Coastal Carolina

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication...

Mar 18, 2015, 9:01 AM

That's a pretty good list..but would definetly take Riginos off...he is Leggett 2.0

Mar 18, 2015, 9:25 AM [ in reply to If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication... ]

If DRat fires Jack and then hires a loser, he will be on a very short leash.

I never thought DRad was a particularly good hire***

Mar 18, 2015, 9:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mar 18, 2015, 10:00 AM [ in reply to If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication... ]

I'd be worried Starbuck would overcharge for coffee. He has everywhere else. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2015, 10:38 AM

LMAO

How about Maryland's coach?

Mar 18, 2015, 11:05 AM [ in reply to If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication... ]

Pretty impressive to win there. ACC is much better for baseball than the B1G.

Mar 20, 2015, 1:04 PM [ in reply to If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication... ]

That's a very realistic list. A number pf them are going to head up major programs, eventually.

Compensation for college baseball coaches is rising rapidly in the P5 conferences. Clemson has no choice buy to pay up to attract names such as the ones on that list; and every one of them will be as intent upon making sure that their assistants are competitively compensated as themselves.

First call I would make

Mar 20, 2015, 3:15 PM [ in reply to If wimmins basketball and volleyball are any indication... ]

Would be Heefner. The job he has done building that program at Dallas Baptist is nothing short of amazing.

SCAR was able to hire Ray Tanner away from NC State in 1997

Mar 18, 2015, 8:21 AM

largely because Tanner had become disenchanted with NC State's commitment the program in general.

Is there a young "Ray Tanner" somewhere out there today who is doing a great job while being under-appreciated?

And a larger question ... does Clemson have the commitment to baseball that it would take to attract such a coach?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SCAR was able to hire Ray Tanner away from NC State in 1997

Mar 18, 2015, 9:35 AM

I personally think we have been showing a commitment to baseball even with 5 straight not so good to bad seasons. Clemson's baseball history should attract a top of the cream type coach. We have a proud history in BB without winning the Golden ball, and if I was ask to be the HC of Clemson BB, I would see a great opportunity at Clemson. And that's with or without the orange glasses!!!

Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack

Mar 18, 2015, 11:13 AM

this team is very talented. for whatever reason, they are performing terribly after looking so good against the coots. everyone knows jack is a lightning rod. he has earned the right to run this program. loyalty may end up his demise. cant remember him ever firing anyone during his time here. there have been very few times that was needed, still. instead of all the fire jack stuff why cant we just get behind the kids. it is only 3 more months and they will have either turned it around or there will be changes. whoever is here next year will reap some benefits from the administration and facilities. who knows what will happen but the continuous b!tching in here about jack really accomplishes nothing more than to make yourself feel good. all our programs are about the kids, not a coach.

Tommy Bowden-like if you ask me.

Mar 18, 2015, 12:34 PM

Really good accomplishments over his career, but the program has become stagnant.

null

He didn't

Mar 18, 2015, 12:41 PM

ask you.

Idjit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

The bull post pi$$ed you off...didn't it?***

Mar 18, 2015, 12:49 PM

null

is it about Jack or the kids or the university?

Mar 18, 2015, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Now that there seems to be a consensus on Jack ]

You said "Jack earned " then later "it's about the kids". If it's about the kids run Jack out of town. He's owed nothing. He sucks as a coach and has sucked for a long time.

Jack's coaches are extremely loyal & we won't get them.

Mar 20, 2015, 3:25 PM

unless he goes out on his terms. To get anyone good and established, we will have to hit the hip, and we will have to be more committed than we are now.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic