Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame can only play in the Orange 2 times in 12 years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 988

Notre Dame can only play in the Orange 2 times in 12 years?

Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM

This is interesting.

"However, the Big Ten and SEC teams must appear at least three times each during the 12-year life of the deal, while Notre Dame can appear in the game a maximum of only two times."

So ND really doesn't have much access to the Orange bowl after all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make Sense

Nov 15, 2012, 11:54 AM

If they are going to play 6 ACC teams a year, they most likely don't want a re match if they don't have too, plus if ND starts to play bad again, 2 times is pretty good for the Orange Bowl to make sure good match ups happen

They're only playing 5 ACC games per year.

Nov 15, 2012, 11:58 AM

And there is a clause in the OB contract that allows the OB to pass over a team to prevent a rematch.

A big deal was made out of ND getting access to the Orange Bowl, allowing them to remain independent. For the first time, I now believe ND joining the ACC as a full time member is likely to happen in the future.

Yes it really is interesting. They were counting on that as

Nov 15, 2012, 12:16 PM

their BCS entry. THey must have agreed to this number, but it seems awfully low. Anyway, I wonder if numbers like that put more pressure on them to just join the conference as a full member?

Re: Notre Dame can only play in the Orange 2 times in 12 years?

Nov 15, 2012, 3:00 PM

Well 4 times in that 12 year period, the orange bowl will be a national semifinal, so really Big 10 at least 3 times, SEC at least 3 times, which leaves no more than twice for ND. Make sense with them playing 5 ACC teams per year.

Nov 15, 2012, 3:13 PM

So out of those 12 years 8 of them the Orange bowl will be available. So throwing out those four years and assuming ND only gets 15M when they play in the Orange bowl. The ACC will get 245M in 8 years. The SEC and big 10 will get 8 contract bowl years with the Sugar/Rose bowl. They will also get 3 years each in the Orange bowl. That means in 8 years they will split 402M. That does not include the other revenue from the playoffs and lower bowls. I know the ACC has made an impact by putting themselves in the playoff picture but there is a long uphill climb ahead.

null

Nov 15, 2012, 3:17 PM

Also down to the individual level. Clemson will average 2.1 Million per year from the Orange bowl deal. South Carolina will average 3.6 Million per year from the Sugar Bowl/Orange Bowl deal.

null

Replies: 6
| visibility 988
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic