Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame and the ACC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,537

Notre Dame and the ACC.

Apr 9, 2013, 3:01 PM

Here is an older post on a Cuse board concerning ND. Specifically from Dec12.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/fwiw-from-nd-hoops-board-re-nd-acc.39377/

Highlights...
A ND fan with "inside" info posted this

Jurich and Notre Dame met with Swofford

ACC will likely have 16 Basketball teams in 2014.

Maryland stays and UL and ND come early.

ACC pressuring ND to add a Six ACC game and make PITT and BC home and home every year. rotate through the other 12 once every 3 years.

ND will join full time when the time is right which is an 8 team playoff with Conference champs getting an automatic bid. but not before.

Now Obviously take all that with a grade of slaw, BUT...

I have no doubt that the ACC is doing everything in its power to make the conditions right for ND to join. and i would not be surprised if they are already talking to the US Naval Academy about getting their ships in shape so they can be an attractive addition to the ACC.

Why. Of course to lure ND but i wonder what kind of Money is in International TV markets? Could the ACC be the first to try to capitalize on international TV sets.

If ND joins the conference (eventually, 15 years even) we might have Maryland to Thank for it. We can now add navy and add Tv markets rather than it just being about ND. Is Navy the biggest draw in MD? No, But Notre Dame and Navy are. and if they were in the same conference the TV value would be higher in Maryland than had ND and UMD been in the ACC together.

So here is how Swoff is setting this up to see if ND will Bite imo and he has UMD to thank for the latest carrot.

1. He gets ND to add a sixth game. Pitt and Cuse Every year. then the other 12 once every three years.

2. He is talking with Navy about what they need to do to take strides in their athletics. (lets face it, Navy and UMD are an even trade athletically at this point anyway.

3. If and when the 8 team playoff comes at the end of this contract in 12 to 15 years (or maybe sooner). Navy is invited to join the league.

4. With 7 ACC games on the schedule now its an easy transition for Notre Dame fans to be ok with joining the league and getting a chance at an ACC title and an automatic bid.

5. The divisions are revised to get GT where they always wanted to be, with FSU, and ND and Navy join the Coastal.

Atlantic............Coastal

Boston College......Notre Dame
Clemson.............Virgina
Florida State.......Miami
NCState.............North Carolina
Syracuse............Pitt
Wake Forest.........Duke
Louisville..........Navy
Georgia Tech........Virginia Tech

4 Team pods are a possibility as well. With crossovers and rotations between pods traditional rivalries could be persevered like ND vs. Navy, UNC vs. UVA. but really those pods take care of most of that.

Notre Dame, Pitt, Cuse, BC

Louisville, Virginia, Virgina Tech, Navy

Wake, Duke, UNC, NCState

Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

I'm personally not giving up hope on Penn State though.

I know I know just another boring DT topic

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: Notre Dame and the ACC.

Apr 9, 2013, 3:20 PM

I personally hope the fan is on to something..

1. The ACC needs to try and get Louisville into the conference for basketball immediately. All we are doing is missing out on money by not having them next season for the tournament. I know we can't push Maryland out because of the lawsuit but it sure would make things easier.

2. The ND/Navy situation is the next logical move by the ACC. Unless something changes and a major player becomes available the options in front of us are not much better than Navy. They also bring back continuity between the ACC states and a rival to ND.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 9, 2013, 3:37 PM

"But Notre Dame and Navy are. and if they were in the same conference the TV value would be higher in Maryland than had ND and UMD been in the ACC together"

If Maryland leaves and the ACC adds N.D. and Navy, the ACC's slice of the Maryland/D.C. market would be higher than the B1G's share *on the week of the ND/Navy game*, and that's about it.

Plus, I hate the idea of 16-team conferences. If you have two 8-team divisions, you essentially just have two separate conferences with an extra game to determine which conference champ actually gets to go to a decent bowl game. The 4-team pod idea adds some scheduling variety, but not much else. I'm convinced that the larger a conference is, the more spread-out it is, and the less the institutions have in common with one another, the more unstable the conference will be. Remember the 16 team WAC? Whatever happened to that?

Otherwise, get ready to ride this conference realignment merry-go-round perpetually. Personally, I've grown a bit tired of it all.

Apr 9, 2013, 4:42 PM

Subscriptions are paid whether the set is on or not. and in the DC Baltimore area there is a lot of demand for ND. add to that a local rivalry and maryland (the State) is a good pick up for the ACC. better imo that UMD since there are 2 pro football franchises that take the majority of the market share.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Navy brings NOTHING to the table. Period.***

Apr 9, 2013, 3:39 PM

Re: Navy brings NOTHING to the table. Period.***

Apr 9, 2013, 3:40 PM

except ND and the state of Maryland and Navy fans worldwide. other than that i agree with you.

ND is going to come fulltime b/c of Navy? RIGHT!

Apr 9, 2013, 3:54 PM

State of Maryland? Ok...wow. Navy fans worldwide....first of all, how many "Navy fans" are there worldwide? Im sure youve done extensive research. Secondly, how many "Navy fans" give 2 ##### about college football. Im willing to be not very many. Especially these "world wide" fans.

the challenge isn't football with Navy...the challenge is

Apr 9, 2013, 3:56 PM

in recruiting kids for the remaining sports that don't get the attention of Navy football. Those sports are not even close to the level of ACC sports. Basketball would be slaughtered in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND is going to come fulltime b/c of Navy? RIGHT!

Apr 9, 2013, 4:44 PM [ in reply to ND is going to come fulltime b/c of Navy? RIGHT! ]

"how many "Navy fans" give 2 ##### about college football. Im willing to be not very many"

Wow your extensive research sure does trump my extensive research. Gaallay Wally.

We have had the state of Maryland and it aint

Apr 9, 2013, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Navy brings NOTHING to the table. Period.*** ]

all that......

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

The point isnt' Navy.

Apr 9, 2013, 4:37 PM

Or BC or Pitt or Cuse in NY. The point is that ND is whay unlocks all these northeast states.

And the point isn't that Navy has BILLIONS of fans worldwide as some would suggest. the point is there are enough on bases all around the world to potentially make broadcasting a few more games against better teams worthwhile.

With all those "world wide fans"

Apr 10, 2013, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Navy brings NOTHING to the table. Period.*** ]

Why is it the majority of Navy's football games are stuck on a second rate cable channel?

Re: I pull for Navy

Apr 9, 2013, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Navy brings NOTHING to the table. Period.*** ]

but I agree with you at this level of competition they bring nothing to the table.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No thanks....Navy does not belong at this table

Apr 9, 2013, 3:51 PM

the only reason they would be invited is a ploy to get ND.

Swofford can meet with Navy until Jesus returns but that doesn't change the fact that most kids don't want to go to a military school. Investing in facilities, coaches, etc doesn't change that. It's a very unique environment with unique requirements afterwards that lead to a small population for them to recruit from.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neither did Boston College but we're saddled with them now***

Apr 9, 2013, 4:16 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 9, 2013, 4:12 PM

I went to a Navy football game this year for the first time. They played a no name team but drew over 40,000. For football, I would rather have them than Maryland, Duke or Wake Forest. Their baseball is good. Basketball is a challenge for them. Many other Olympic sports are good (wrestling, Lacrosse, etc). I think they would be a nice addition and bring a different flavor.

Apr 9, 2013, 4:50 PM

which is about 10,000 more that wake's stadium capacity and about 39,999 more people than attend a duke game.

nd will repeat their previous history

Apr 9, 2013, 7:19 PM

They never joined the big east fully.
The acc was stupid for allowing them to be anything but an equal member.
Unless they're backed into a corner (conference champions can ONLY play in NC game) they will probably leave the acc for a better deal.
My judgement may be clouded due to the fact I dislike nd.

they are merely going to do whats in the best interest of ND

Apr 9, 2013, 9:05 PM

not the ACC....no one else.

Certainly

Apr 10, 2013, 8:43 AM

it may be just their greed and pride that belies their image.

Navy is not BIG-TIME football!

Apr 9, 2013, 8:56 PM

The Clown needs a new plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They aren't and I'm not sure they want to be big time

Apr 9, 2013, 9:03 PM

football...that's not their mission.

NAVY = ECU athletically...just have more class & character***

Apr 10, 2013, 8:39 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,537
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic