Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I just don't get it...with the whole Clowney is God thing.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I just don't get it...with the whole Clowney is God thing.

Jan 2, 2013, 11:17 PM

I take nothing away from Clowney. The guy is a gamer, no doubt. But I just don't get all the "Clowney is God" hype. The guy had 54 total tackles (just over 4 per game)something like 22.5 TFL and 13 sacks in 13 games. Great stats but lets compare.
I'm not comparing the players, but the stats to show that Clowney's hype and the awards he is being hyped for is unfounded. Clowney is a one trick pony right now. Not very good at all against the run. If he isn't doing some kind of spectacular feat he is completely silent. Not only that SC's defense is postured to push everything Clowney's way.

Bowers stats 2010
74 total tackles, 26 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God can read and write.***

Jan 2, 2013, 11:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

TU for you!***

Jan 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stats. So, Bowers was more of a God.***

Jan 2, 2013, 11:19 PM

Not exactly, but Daquan Bowers did record a Gospel Album***

Jan 3, 2013, 12:33 AM

Bowers played in the ACC so

Jan 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

those stats don't count. Only SEC players are worthy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought they declared Lattimore was God.....

Jan 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

or was it Spurrier ? or was it Lou ? can't keep up with the dirt peckers...

Re: I just don't get it...with the whole Clowney is God thing.

Jan 2, 2013, 11:22 PM

Well Clowney pretty much IS that defense. South Carolina has a good defense but Clowney makes them great because he is in the backfield all night. The reason why he gets the hype is because he is a physical freak. 6'6" 260 and runs a 4.5, probably has a 35" vertical, and gets all his stats while being double teamed. He has my respect as a player.

Jan 2, 2013, 11:29 PM

I don't dispute that he is a good player. But as much a physical freak as he is, it is not in the stength dept. He is a pure speed rush End. He is not in the back field all night because he takes plays off. I don't care what he's listed at he is maybe 250 soaking wet. He doesn't get double teamed all the time. I realize that Lewan is one of the best OTs in the country but if Clowney is a god, Lewan is GOD! Because he ate supposedly the best player in the country's lunch and did it about 95% of the time with NO help.

Jan 3, 2013, 12:00 AM

Who ever said Clowney is God? Haven't seen that on any message board I frequent.

Jan 3, 2013, 12:32 AM

ESPN pundits saying he is the best player in the country. Polls on TV, if you J. Clowney is the best player in the country TEXT "Far2muchhype" to Overblowing the SEC. People saying he should have been in the Heisman race? ###, are you kidding? His stats in no way reflect a Defensive end worthy of Heisman consideration.

The hype machine surrounding the SEC, it's programs, and it's players, is sickening. Just like Marcus Lattimore after his freahman season. "He's the best back in the country". Really, he wasn't even the best back in his own conference and actually would have been #3 in the SEC on my list behind Knile Davis and Trent Richardson. Statistically he had the second lowest yard per carry of all returning SEC backs.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is god.***

Jan 3, 2013, 12:06 AM

You have to put in proper perspective...SCAR has to hold on

Jan 3, 2013, 1:26 AM

to these types of hype because its all they ever have. One or two things along the way once in a while...they will milk the crap out of these small things...and good grief the Clemson game is their NC

noticed how stephanie spurrier had to bring Clemson up….

Jan 3, 2013, 1:39 AM

in his press conference after their bowl win

lol did he really?***

Jan 3, 2013, 7:45 AM

Not to mention........

Jan 3, 2013, 1:31 AM

.....Bowers was actually a college student. Clowney wouldn't know what a classroom looks like if one bit him on the butt. Thank God for social promotion or he would have never gotten out of HS. Gonna be a millionaire soon, but that is one dumb dude indeed!

Too bad, most of that money will be going to people….

Jan 3, 2013, 1:40 AM

he knows, that will end up spending it all on the streets of Rock Hill for crack.

Jan 3, 2013, 4:53 AM

Bowers stats are from his Junior year... As a sophomore he had 27 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss and 3 sacks. So... half as many tackles and tackles for loss and 10 fewer sacks at the same developmental level?

If Clowney were able to enter this years draft he would be the number one overall pick... as a sophomore. If he went last year he would still have been a top five pick. So how exactly do you "overhype" the best player in college football?

Jan 3, 2013, 11:27 AM

Yeah, that is true. Clowney is a soph and Bowers was a junior. But that's why I said I'm not comparing them as players. They are two completely different types of ends. My point was that as good as Bowers was in his junior year, won the Hendricks and Nagurski. HIs stats were superior to Clowney's. Yet Bowers' name and Heisman were never mentioned in the same sentence. You can say what you want to but there are defensive ends every season with as good or better stats. They cause DC's to game plan around them, like Clowney.

His stats don't jump off the page. 4 tackles per game with nearly half of those being for loss. Just like I said before if he is not making a spectacular play he is doing nothing. He is weak against the run. The fact also remains that through 11 games this season he had 8 sacks. HIs performance against Clemson was amazing but that also means that about 1/3 of his sacks happened in one game. Suh, was kind of the same way when he took home awards out the bung hole. He had something like 12 sacks in 2009. But 1/3 of those came against Texas.

But Suh's stats were more impressive than Clowney's. Suh had as many solo tackles as clowney has total. Suh, had an INT, 10 pass break ups, 85 total tackles. What makes his stats sheet more impressive is that he was a 300lb DT!

Jan 3, 2013, 7:35 AM

You know, you actually had a valid point up until you started talking about Bowers. Then I realized, you were just being biased. Bowers was a freakn Junior the year he had those amazing stats. Clowney is just a sophmore in his 2nd year in the system with monster numbers. Did you deliberately fail to mention Bowers' sophmore #s? Well guess what, I didn't, so here you go:

46 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks.

I loved Bowers to death, but make no mistake about it, guy, Clowney is a monster. Just give the man his due and move on.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 3, 2013, 11:41 AM

Again, did I not preface my statement by saying I'm not comparing them as players. I'm comparing stat sheets and how other players do not get the hype that Clowney has gotten. No one said anything about Bowers for Heisman. Suh was never hyped for the Heisman. Did Derrick Thomas get this much hype. He recorded 27 sacks in a SEASON! Suggs had 24 in a season.

I'm not saying Clowney is a chump. In fact my argument has nothing to do with Clowney directly. It is the hype machine surrounding him. He's done nothing but play ball at a high level. But the hype machine is making him out to be this perfect DE. Despite a few holes in his game and being a one trick pony, the hype still grows.

Jan 3, 2013, 12:16 PM

All three of those guys were literally hyped for the heisman trophy. Suh finishing 4th in voting.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Clowney will never have the best stats I doubt

Jan 3, 2013, 7:42 AM

But he will be the first taken in that draft for one reason. He alters game plans. He alters how the QB reacts. And though he may make only 1 or 2 plays in a game they seem to come at critical times. IMHO he won the coots the michigan game...without him they lose. Without him we beat the coots this year. Without him and Tennessee beats the coots this year and probably Arkansas. I hate to admit this but yes that kid is the best college athelete on the field and he doesnt even go all out the whole game. The is why that kid will be the first taken in the draft next year and he would be the first taken in the draft this year. I just wish he would have chose us instead of them. I think that kid has the type of impact that a Herschel Walker has.

Re: Clowney will never have the best stats I doubt

Jan 3, 2013, 11:51 AM

I think elevating him to that "best player in nation" statement is a little over blown. Jarvis Jones, Manti Te'o, come to mind as well. They too make DCs game plan around them. Not only from making plays in the backfield, but in coverage, running play calling, etc.

Don't even put his name in there with Bowers

Jan 3, 2013, 12:02 PM

Clowney is first pick in the NFL draft guy. Bowers isn't even a first round guy. But since you want to compare the two, who has the most sacks recorded in Death Valley*? Jadaveon Clowney(4.5). And you also do realize that the hit that everyone is talking about came from a RUN play correct? And to say he can't stop the run is dumb. When you have a tackle, a TE, and a full back hitting you its pretty difficult to make plays. But he does.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic