Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Will ACC move to 9-game league schedule for possible ACC Network?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

FB Update: Will ACC move to 9-game league schedule for possible ACC Network?

Jun 9, 2016, 11:09 AM

Will ACC move to 9-game league schedule for possible ACC Network?

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not this crap again. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 9, 2016, 11:23 AM

8 games so we have a chance to play a big-time OCG that dosen't involve the COOTS.

ACC is using this as an excuse in putting together a network.

So bush league.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not this crap again. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

Whether we like it or not moving to 9 gamed in conference is inevitable I think.

Why? It would be a lose-lose for Clemson.***

Jun 9, 2016, 11:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2016, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Not this crap again. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ]

Why, who else is doing it? I'm beginning to think that after years of saying not so sure about conference change/realignment, that maybe a conference change, or schools like Clemson that depend on FB as their main revenue, to develop a strong FB conference of our own. And leave Swofford to finish screwing up the ACC by competing mainly in Basketball, checkers, and women's house cleaning!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2016, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Not this crap again. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ]

To be quite honest, if we were in the SEC thus wouldn't be an issue. Our problem is the sorry@ss schools that make bank on the subject success of the 2-3 top programs in our league. When you combine the traditional powers in the sec with the national/ espn lo e for them......9 games would not matter. Clemson is doing just fine where we are, but it would be great to play those teams. Not necessarily cause they are better, but simply on tradition. When those teams are on TV, people are watching. Either way..... it has always been about Clemson. The one thing the program can control is the standard. The standard to be great and work hard to keep the all of our sports playing at a high level.....especially football....... GO TIGERS!!!!

We've stopped this twice - we MUST stop this a third time.

Jun 9, 2016, 11:26 AM

9-game ACC schedules suck the life and resources out of its top programs by either killing a 7th home game per season, or killing quality OOC home and home series against the Georgias, Auburns, and TA&M's of the world. For 7 extra league games for a network per season?

Would ESPN really prefer to add 7 ACC contests at the expense of having a Clemson/UGA or Clemson/Auburn? What about FSU/OK and OK State which has happened recently?

If 9 games becomes the drum again, then it's time to dust off the old Premier / Champions divisional alignment proposal where the top performing teams are in the same division and host 5 of the league home games per year, while the other division hosts only 4, making it a fair matter of competitive excellence to determine the 5th home game sites.

We cannot allow the ACC to rob from the rich to feed the poor, as a 9-game schedule produces. This will only lower our overall league product in the process, making it ultimately tougher on everyone.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps the Big 12 will have a slot for us and FSU.

Jun 9, 2016, 11:30 AM

Frustrating ACC crap. No imagination.

Yeah... then we can play 9 conference games and travel

Jun 9, 2016, 11:59 AM

out to Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, and West Virginia. The only times our away games wouldn't require a plane ride would be WVU and FSU. Also there is no Big 12 title game. Moving to the Big 12 would be awful. We are better served in our regionally based conference.

FSU, GT, Louisville, and Clemson will fight the ninth game due to our power 5 rivalries and everybody else can shut up and know their place in the league... watching us bring it glory.

And if the ACC really wants its programs to play more often,

Jun 9, 2016, 11:55 AM [ in reply to We've stopped this twice - we MUST stop this a third time. ]

just ditch divisions completely, schedule 3 permanent annual rivals per team, then round robin the rest. With an 8-game schedule, every program would play every other program at minimum twice every four years. Rivalries protected, everybody plays everybody often, problem solved.

There's also a very strong likelihood that the CFP could look to expand to 8 teams in the coming years to allow each Power 5 league's champion entry. This expansion could well come (and should) at the expense of league championship games - which would negate the need for divisions in the first place. Far and away more money and revenue to be made if league championship weekend was instead Round 1 of the CFP, where the losers can then get cast into the rest of the bowl system.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We've stopped this twice - we MUST stop this a third time.

Jun 11, 2016, 1:20 AM [ in reply to We've stopped this twice - we MUST stop this a third time. ]

The only thing that Swoffy does is to wait until the same subject cools off after strong arguments pushing against his main plans, and he comes back and attacks the same ideas again, again, and again until he can weaken the arguments of the Nays of his main plan!!! The ACC has the highest conference buy out for a good reason, and I believe the reason is to lock in all ACC schools, and cripple any means to reject Swoffords master plan of rooting out football in the ACC....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no to 9 game

Jun 9, 2016, 11:26 AM

I just don't see how it beneficial whatsoever.

The only way I could see it is if ND comes into the ACC in football as well but even then I just don't understand how this would help with the TV network. People like to see the Auburns and the Clemson's play and the FSU and the Ole Mrrs play. If we adopt 9 game I don't see how we would be able to play those type of games every year when both Clemson and FSU have SEC rival games at the end of the season.

Auburns and the Clemson's play and FSU and Ole Mrrs play.

Jun 9, 2016, 12:14 PM

Those are the type of games that will NEVER make it onto a conference network. ABC and ESPN will get those first.If the Network gets off the ground,The ACC games that wouldn't make the ABC/ESPN line up are better that an ACC team playing a FCS team. FSU or Clemson playing another ACC opponent is better on an ACC Network than Clemson playing SC State or FSU playing UL Monroe. Look at some of the crap on the SEC Network.

There's no reason not to play strong OOC games. Just cut the extra cupcake.The years ND is not on the schedule ,we can still play the Auburn's and Ole Pi$$es.

Cutting the "cupcake" means cutting a 7th home game

Jun 9, 2016, 12:44 PM

every other year, with a 9-game league schedule that is. So for the betterment of the ACC, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and Ga. Tech, with their permanent OOC rivals, will shutter their larger stadiums for a week every year as a subsidy move for the rest. I don't know, what's 84k x Clemson's average ticket price? $3 million just in tickets alone? Plus the local community merchants? Anderson? Greenville? Recruiting weekends? All this so Wake, Syracuse, UVA, BC, Pitt, etc. can continue to make bank off our backs?

This ESPiN 'reasoning' doesn't apply to the SEC...? Right?***

Jun 9, 2016, 11:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Will ACC move to 9-game league schedule for possible ACC Network?

Jun 9, 2016, 12:00 PM

I'm all for it. Just drop one of the two painful to sit through games like Wofford, SC State for example. Game tickets are expensive so I'm for better games. If the Tigers are N champs quality on a given year they will have no problem with another ACC game.

It's really for financial reasons but it also causes even

Jun 9, 2016, 12:43 PM

more of a balance issue. Right now the schedules of Atlantic teams vary due to who gets drawn from the Coastal division. If you go to 9 game schedules you also introduce a new problem, some teams get 5 home games while others get 4. That might not seem like a huge deal, but if we are competing against another elite team like FSU for an ACC title and possible playoff berth, we don't want to have to deal with any more inequality than is absolutely necessary.

As for the financial aspect... with an 8 game schedule you get the 8 league games, 2 legit OOC games, and 2 cupcakes. 4 of those league games are at home, the big OOC games are rotated so that you always have 1 at home each year, and then the 2 cupcakes are at home. That's 7 home games a year which is really key for revenue. I've heard interviews with ADs where they stress the importance of the 7th home game.

If you ditch an OCC game for another conference game you end up with just 6 home games every other year unless you change the scheduling model. And what do you really think would get ditched? A road game at Auburn/Georgia or a home game against the Citadel/SC State? If you think it's the cupcake game you are probably mistaken.

Given the lack of quality depth in the ACC, i think we would be hurt pretty badly by having to play another conference game and losing an opportunity at a marquee OOC win. We really can't rely on the Coots to prop up our OOC schedule.

Great points. Would another ACC team instead of the quality

Jun 9, 2016, 12:50 PM

OOC we schedule be a better season-ending data point for the CFP committee? Considering the league's lack of quality depth as you mentioned, I hardly think so. It's just the opposite. This is horrible for the league's top teams, but they're outnumbered, so we'll see.

This nine game schedule with the addition of "Notre Dame" as

Jun 9, 2016, 12:08 PM

a de facto conference member, but a required out of conference game for 5 league opponents per year, should be the reason that the conference not take on additional game. For the ACC schools with permanent rivals in other conferences, the year Notre Dame is on the schedule would allow for only 1 other non-conference "tune up" game.

That is bad for the schools for their home scheduling and ticket revenue, it is bad for mid-majors whose primary source of revenue are these contract killings, and it's bad for future viewership. I do not want to watch Wake Forest play University of Virginia as an additionally added game to the league schedule.

If UNC wants to play more ACC cupcake games, it can just schedule Wake as an "out of conference" game again.

Someone please explain how it's bad

Jun 9, 2016, 12:25 PM

If we replace a SC State with an ACC team, then it will only help us in SOS.

If we replace the one out of conference power 5 schools like an Auburn with a lightweight ACC, then it might hurt the SOS. But it is difficult to get a high powered match up these days.

Not trolling, just wondering.

It is clear match ups against quality opponents outside of

Jun 9, 2016, 12:27 PM

conference play is an important part of the playoff system.

We wouldn't just "replace SCSt with a "weak" ACC team...

Jun 9, 2016, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

we would have no control as to who we played. Take this as an example. In a year where we played Notre Dame contractually out of conference, we play S Car. as our annual rivalry game, and we had Virginia Tech added as our additional ninth league game, we would only have the ability to schedule 1 out of conference game.

True.

Jun 9, 2016, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

If someone opposed this for the financial costs of losing an extra home vs the Network contract payout,that'd be a break even point most likely .What would losing the extra home game every year do to the local economy ? That'd be something that should be took into consideration.

Clemson doesn't need 2 cupcake FCS games a year.We can schedule anyone we want.

The thing is, as more conferences go to 9 games, they'll be fewer Power 5 schools willing to schedule us. Aren't Auburn and Clemson both playing this year because other schools wouldn't schedule them ?

But ,again I ask, what would it do to the local economy if a 7th home game is lost ? That's the most serious question to be answered.

Because we wouldn't be replacing SC State, we would be

Jun 9, 2016, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

replacing Auburn. $$$$$

Limits your ability to schedule home and home with quality

Jun 9, 2016, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

OOC opponents.

First tell me what SOS has to do with the real world.

Jun 9, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

If we win we are in, if we don't we are out. There is no way two ACC teams are going to make the playoffs. I doubt any conference outside the SEC can get a break like that.

Past worrying about the SOS I think the big issue is losing a home game so the ACC can increase it's income. As far as I'm concerned the ACC can suck it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that's true at all. At some point a 1-loss ACC

Jun 9, 2016, 1:31 PM

champ is going to be competing with a 1-loss champ from another conference for a playoff berth, and that's where OCC scheduling, overall SoS, and the strength of the conference all come into play. It didn't happen last year because Stanford won the Pac with 2 losses and the only 1-loss team really in the discussion (Ohio State) didn't even win their division. However, 2 years ago Baylor and TCU got left out in favor of Ohio State, largely due to their OOC schedules which were bad (TCU) and pathetic (Baylor).

Everyone in last year's CFP had one loss except us!!

Jun 11, 2016, 6:53 PM

There will be years when there are no undefeated teams in the playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the ACC ever wants ND as a full member forget about 9

Jun 9, 2016, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

conference games. They will never agree to that many leaving them only three games to schedule their traditional rivals. I am never one to kowtow to what ND wants, but in this case it would be in the entire conference's long-term best interest to have them as a full member.

It creates a more unbalanced conference schedule

Jun 10, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain how it's bad ]

5 homes games vs 4

It means that we will likely be short a home game 1 season or that it will be with a crap team.

It will end good home and home series out of conference (we've already got SC)

Re: FB Update: Will ACC move to 9-game league schedule for possible ACC Network?

Jun 9, 2016, 1:12 PM

I don't see how a 9th ACC game would add revenue. Teams still have a 12 game limit. you are just switching an out of conference opponent for an ACC one. A game doesn't have to be between 2 ACC teams to be televised on a conference network. The SEC routinely shows games between an SEC school and an FCS team. If anything playing out of conference opponents creates the opportunity for additional games featuring an ACC school to be available for broadcast. Rather than having Clemson v. UVA on TV, you could have Clemson v. SC State and UVA v. Richmond on in a single week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Troy and SC State are awesome games

Jun 11, 2016, 6:27 AM

I would hate to lose a game like that to play VT or UNC instead

Better get used to Troy and SC State being the only OOC

Jun 11, 2016, 8:46 AM

type games we play outside of SCar if this moves forward. The extra coastal team will be at the expense of the Georgia, Auburn, and upcoming TA&M games we schedule now.

Remember when we had to ditch Ole Miss and OK State series recently? It was when the ACC first announced 9 games and our schedule would no longer allow for those.

Jun 11, 2016, 6:58 PM

It should be mandatory that Notre Dame should join the ACC if they really want to keep playing ACC games each year.

Do you think we would have started out #1 in the CFP poll

Jun 11, 2016, 10:28 PM

if our Notre Dame win last year was just a league game? I love that Notre Dame plays teams from just about every other league throughout the season. They're a nice measuring stick for college football - I like our arrangement just fine and kinda hope it stays that way.

Jun 11, 2016, 10:19 PM

the only way this could possibly be good for the conference is ND to join full time and we add another good football program, but I sure hope it doesn't happen because I like playing another SEC team other than USuC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic