Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad Brownell vs Clemson basketball history....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,821

Brad Brownell vs Clemson basketball history....

Mar 9, 2017, 12:40 PM

here are some numbers that i think are quite intersting...

**all these #'s include everything except THIS season**
brad brownell's record at clemson is 102-87 (.55%)
all time clemson record is 1267-1267 (.500%)

here are our records against CURRENT ACC teams since 1950...
BC 15-7 (brownell 6-3)
Duke 29-97 (brownell 2-5)
GT 58-44 (brownell 11-3)
FSU 29-40 (brownell 5-9)
LOU 1-5 (brownell 1-1)
MIA 13-11 (brownell 4-4)
UNC 19-119(brownell 0-8)
NcSt 48-79 (brownell 4-5)
ND 0-5 (brownell 0-4)
Pitt 3-3 (brownell 2-2)
Cuse 4-2 (brownell 2-1)
VT 14-17 (brownell 5-4)
UVA 51-74 (brownell 2-7)
Wake 55-84 (brownell 7-1)
TOTAL 339-632 .340% (Brownell 51-57 .472%)

in total, we have been to 10 NCAA tourneys (Brownell has been to 1)

So, i post all that to say, even though the Brownell #'s arent great, his numbers against clemson history are actually pretty good.

this is not a post to save his job or beg for you guys to want him around, just pointing out some facts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the problem is that we cannot get to the NCAAT-- ever

Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 PM

doesn't matter what else he does-- this has been his program, lock stock and barrel, for 4-5 years now--- and we can't get there

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell vs Clemson basketball history....

Mar 9, 2017, 12:51 PM

so you are saying that if we had a time machine and played with ourselves in the past, we would have a winning record against ourselves with our CBB team?

I think this is what you are saying.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell vs Clemson basketball history....

Mar 9, 2017, 3:06 PM

that's exactly what he's saying. point party for your innate ability to decipher "the facts" - i'm actually going back in time to redact my proposal to my ex-wife. i'll keep you posted

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

The NCAA Tournament committee has told us how impressive

Mar 9, 2017, 1:03 PM

Coach Brownell's ACC record is. The NIT committee has told us how they feel about that record as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying, we won't go to NIT?***

Mar 9, 2017, 3:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Mar 9, 2017, 4:14 PM

We won 10 last year and 8 ACC games several years ago and didn't get an NIT invite. The NIT didn't value those wins enough to invite us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, I gather that you are saying...

Mar 9, 2017, 1:14 PM

that, as bad as we are now, there have been times in the last 67 years when we were even worse. So Brownell may NOT be the worst coach in Clemson history.

As one who "just had to laugh" during the "Shyatt happens" years, that is obviously the case.

That, overall Clemson has a mediocre history as a basketball program, especially considering that there were a few seasons where we were pretty good and we have made a couple of runs deep into the NCAA tournament.

Yep, that's true.

Now, here's what I and a lot of other people are saying:

We aren't going to settle for mediocrity just because it's where we've been for most of history. Brad Brownell is a mediocre coach who, while having plenty of company in the "Mediocre Clemson Basketball Coach Club", has proven that he's likely NEVER going to be someone who can get us to one of those rare times of notable achievement in basketball.

Everyone gets it, man. You're right there with Linus, waiting in the pumpkin patch. If that makes you happy, keep doing it. My sense is that most folks want to keep trying to establish a competitive ACC basketball program at Clemson. The right coaching staff could do that. Clemson is a great place. Why NOT here? Get the right leadership and it will happen.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprising since we were god-awful from 1950 until Bill

Mar 9, 2017, 2:45 PM

Foster came around.

Overall, apart from Larry Shyatt, Brad Brownell has been the worst coach at Clemson since Tates Locke was forced to resign in 1975.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not surprising since we were god-awful from 1950 until Bill

Mar 9, 2017, 3:03 PM

Every coach that did get Clemson to the tourney left. They didn't retire...they left. Ask yourself why.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's your point?

Mar 9, 2017, 3:13 PM

Who cares if the coach eventually leaves? As long as they're successful while they're here (which Brownell hasn't been), at least it was a good run with that coach.

It's not like you're forced to rebuild when a coach leaves a successful program behind. The program will have been elevated, and, theoretically, you should be able to hire a higher level of coach the next time.

The program needs to grow and get better if we ever want to be able to hire good coaches. The renovation of Littlejohn was a good first step, but Brownell isn't the guy. We have 7 years of data now. He's something like 24-47 in games decided by 5 points or less. Why not try someone else like a Will Wade or Kevin Keatts? Even a coach like Tommy Amaker or Scott Cherry could be an improvement. It's not like we're risking that much by firing Brownell. Worst-case scenario is that we miss out on the NIT even more often than we already do.

Just for clarity, were ACC tourney results....

Mar 9, 2017, 3:40 PM

included?
That would tack on a few losses for all involved.
One of the big differences is that for a long time you had to play everyone in the league twice. That has not been the case for Brownell. League is pretty deep these days. This year we only had to play most of the big guns one time (exception being FSU). And it seems like most years we have had a reasonable schedule in the conference. I suppose earlier coaches might have fared in similar fashion against today's schedule.
The big problem this season was that we did not beat any of the top 9 teams in the ACC. For most of our history...there were only 8 or 9 teams in the conference!
Last season we had some big wins but lost some head scratchers late in the year. This year, although close, we completely whiffed on beating any reasonably decent team since December, but we did beat the other bottom dwellers.
Not sure what needs to be done, but it needs to be clear that this season (as well as the end of last season) are not acceptable results.

How about this stat? In 2107 Brownell is 0-12 against the

Mar 9, 2017, 4:56 PM

top 9 teams in the ACC. And this with JB back. Wasn't this supposed to be Brownell's best team?

It's time for a coaching change.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,821
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic