Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lets talk some ACC Football - Atlantic Division in 2018
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Lets talk some ACC Football - Atlantic Division in 2018

Jan 30, 2018, 1:00 PM

Could the Atlantic be more Top-Heavy in 2018? It appears that teams like Louisville and NC State, who have both made some noise nationally to a certain extent in the past 2 years which has helped bolster the depth and perception of the ACC, are certain to take a step back next year. NC State loses essentially everyone on their Defense, and Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines on Offense. Last year was their year, and they managed 9 wins. They won't come close to that in 2018. Louisville only won 8 games with Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson. They will not win 8 games without him, especially with Alabama replacing a Non-Conference cupcake on the schedule. Wake and BC should be decent teams, but not serious contenders to crack the Top 15. Syracuse is just hoping for a bowl. Obviously only winning 7 games in 2017 means FSU will be better, and will probably finish comfortably #2 in the Atlantic.

The Coastal might even end up being the deeper division with Miami, VT, and Pitt being very solid teams. Pitt could be the surprise team in the ACC with a very solid defense. They do, however, have a tough NC schedule with Penn State, UCF, and Notre Dame

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Lets talk some ACC Football - Atlantic Division in 2018

Jan 30, 2018, 2:17 PM

Calling Pitt "very solid" may be overstepping a bit.. They could make a run at a mediocre bowl at best in my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2018, 2:34 PM

Just a bit lol. They are arguable the worst team in the AcC.

Not sure why you would say that

Jan 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

Pitt was actually playing pretty well at the end of the year. They nearly knocked off the Hokies in Lane and then they did knock off the Canes. They won 4 of their final 5 games and also beat Duke in Durham.

Pitt will be back in a bowl. UVA on the other hand is in major trouble. Just about everyone they had that made an impact is gone.

As for the Atlantic, I think you guys are the clear favorite. Florida State is probably the clear #2. Boston College might be a little bit of a darkhorse for #3 and I expect Louisville to take a big jump back. The Coastal seems to be a two horse race between the Hokies and Canes. The Canes are definitely the favorite to repeat... but the VT-Miami game is in Blacksburg this year. GT is always a wild card.

Whoops. Pitt won THREE of their final five***

Jan 30, 2018, 4:00 PM

Re: Not sure why you would say that

Jan 30, 2018, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Not sure why you would say that ]

Not saying Pitt is horrible but I would say they are along side UNC, Cuse, and UvA. I think all the Atlantic teams are better. I do agree it is VT and Miami fighting for the coastal. Y'all need a WR to step up this year with Cam gone.

Agreed... I think we'll be better at WR next year though

Jan 30, 2018, 4:55 PM

Cam Phillips was a good WR... but he wasn't a legitimate #1 option IMO. Many in the program will tell you that our two best WRs were on the bench this year. There was a freshman named Caleb Farley who was tearing it up in the Spring and in first few summer practices until he tore his ACL. Of course, there's also the question of whether he'll come back 100%. The other WR was a transfer from Ball State named Damon Hazelton. He had 51 catches for 505 yards and 4 TDs his first year at Ball State (largely towards the end of the year after they realized what they had). He had to be on the bench though due to transfer rules.

Of course, at QB, we'll either have an improved Josh Jackson (not the worst option) or someone will beat him out (either Hendon Hooker or the Kansas transfer Ryan Willis).

Jan 30, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Lets talk some ACC Football - Atlantic Division in 2018 ]

That rising sophomore QB for pitt is the real deal.

Might better watch out for BC

Jan 30, 2018, 2:24 PM

I think they are putting a pretty solid team up there. And we play them away.

Jan 30, 2018, 2:30 PM

I would think WF could have a good year but they play FSU, ND, and Clemson all within 5 weeks. They have to go to UL and State. I think FSU could have a big year but need to beat VT to start off. State has a really good QB and that can carry a team. I think they come in 3rd behind us and FSU. BC should be solid but just not enough talent to win the division. I don't see Pitt as a solid team. I think WF and BC are better.

Jan 30, 2018, 2:32 PM

BTW the Atlantic has been FSU and us for years now. Last year is a one time thing for FSU imo.

Jan 30, 2018, 2:37 PM

I think FSU is still a year or two away from being back to our level, just simply due to the fact they need help on the o-line.

I'm not really up to date on Taggert's offensive philosophy and the type of lineman he likes to recruit, so that may change if he has pieces that he already likes to use.

Honestly the next year or two I feel the Atlantic is Clemson 1, FSU 2, and everyone else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

I sure hope so but FSU has the talent to beat anybody. Frenchie is dang good.

Jan 30, 2018, 3:37 PM

Right now offensively they're like we were under Bowden, all the skill position talent but no o-line. That doesn't equal a recipe for success. I'd also argue that their WR talent is well below ours.

They're good, don't get me wrong, but to be back equal with us it will take some time. Frenchie is good but no one is good on their back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2018, 4:06 PM

I agree. They are solid qb and RB but not much depth at Wr. Their line does not have enough talent. Only 4 4 stars and obviously do not develop the 3 stars enough. They have amazing players on D tho. If they can play together as a team they could be one of the best Ds in the nation even with the players they have leaving.

The Atlantic is Clemson's to lose

Jan 30, 2018, 2:34 PM

Unless Taggart really turns things around quick at FSU

I could easily see us as a unanimous pre-season choice

Jan 30, 2018, 2:47 PM

as Atlantic division champion from the ACC writers - seems like we have that kind of edge heading into 2018.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is Taggart a good hire for FSU?

Jan 30, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to The Atlantic is Clemson's to lose ]

I don’t know too much about him but his accomplishments wouldn’t seem to get the enthusiasm that it has down here.....thoughts?

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic