Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind

Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz... best part... I dont even know who that is.***

Mar 30, 2015, 4:03 PM

I have never heard of the guy before now

Mar 30, 2015, 4:09 PM

It seems he is just trying to get a name for himself. I guess it worked because I know who he is now. I think he is an ignorant POS, but I know he exists.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here.***

Mar 30, 2015, 4:29 PM

I'd never heard of him either, and it speaks tons that

Mar 30, 2015, 5:13 PM [ in reply to I have never heard of the guy before now ]

the people on that show KNEW who Coach Swinney is.....but the vast majority of the American public had no idea who John Oliver is

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd never heard of him either, and it speaks tons that

Mar 30, 2015, 6:31 PM

he is another liberal Obama.

What's your name son....John Oliver.....

Mar 31, 2015, 9:22 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lrHzbLnC4o

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol...great response by Dabo. Honest, succinct, and most

Mar 30, 2015, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Lulz... best part... I dont even know who that is.*** ]

important of all...an informed opinion.

Unlike that dillhole Oliver...

Re: Lulz... best part... I dont even know who that is.***

Mar 31, 2015, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Lulz... best part... I dont even know who that is.*** ]

Thought the same!

way to go, coach swinney!***

Mar 30, 2015, 4:03 PM

Not sure why John Oliver is talking about college athletes but he's trying

Mar 30, 2015, 4:13 PM

way too hard to be an edgier stephen Colbert or John Stewart. I honestly wouldn't care if I was Dabo, he and everyone else other than the coots im sure, understands what he means and why it would be the end of college athletics as we know it if players were paid like a professional team. Im on the side of helping athletes out with money for food, groceries or their entertainment but it has to be a set amount that every school. Autographs and things of that nature are a bit of a grey area but most everyone actually associated with or follower of college athletics would agree with dabo, it's kind of hilarious to see these "experts" come out of the woodwork to preach on something they've never followed or had any interest in.

He was always the least funniest of all the Daily Show....

Mar 30, 2015, 6:15 PM

"correspondents". He always had to repeat himself, to get any kind of laugh.

LOVE our guys . . . and it starts at the top ! ! ! !***

Mar 30, 2015, 4:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: FB Update: Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind

Mar 30, 2015, 4:36 PM

If he was up for it, it'd actually be smart of Swinney to use his new media department to fire back at Oliver, do his own segment.

Of course, that would invite yet another counter-attack from Oliver...but as long as Dabo just grins, takes it, and fires back, unfazed, he can re-discover the ages-old Vegas axiom: there really is no bad publicity. Especially when the more attention Oliver has to pay to Dabo, the more he's going to discover that Dabo really is one of the good guys. Oliver may not be particularly informed on this issue, but he actually does care who the good guys and bad guys are.

Personally I'd get snarky and make fun of Oliver back. In particular I'd maybe poke fun at the notion that an Englishman is making fun of American sports for cartel-type behavior, and cross-cut that with movie footage of guys in Boston a couple hundred years back chucking overpriced East India Company tea into the harbor, or dragooning American sailors into the British navy, which kicked off the War of 1812, or the fact that the same four teams win the EPL every year by buying everyone's players...you name it. (Basically, with the Premier League, it's pretty much four teams of Harlem Globetrotters, and everybody else gets to be the Washington Generals.) But the Brits do not exactly have an untarnished record of social equity and fair play themselves.

If Oliver wants to go there, it's not like there's not plenty of stuff to zap him back on.

Maybe I don't have a good sense of humour but ...

Mar 30, 2015, 5:01 PM

I thought the soybean wind joke was pretty lame. For a guy who is supposedly on TV (I had to google John Oliver to find this out, bc I also had no idea who he was) you think he would be able to come up with something a little more clever.

It's his favorite sniff.....***

Mar 30, 2015, 5:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jesus People, It is a comedy show!***

Mar 30, 2015, 5:07 PM

Is it? I had no idea. Never heard of the show or host. Seems

Mar 30, 2015, 5:30 PM

like a strange topic for a comedy show.

I guess you have to be a satan person to get it.****

Mar 30, 2015, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Jesus People, It is a comedy show!*** ]

NM

I'mma just gonna point out

Mar 30, 2015, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Jesus People, It is a comedy show!*** ]

That you shouldn't start your post out by taking the Lord's name in vain if you want to be taken seriously. Doesn't matter if you're a believer or nonbeliever it's disrespectful. Not preaching,son.Just saying!

And btw.
Comedic Oliver is not.

Spoken by a true teacher.

Mar 30, 2015, 5:08 PM

Teaching is one of the gifts God gave us to serve Him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My question is why are 20 minute segments of Oliver's show..

Mar 30, 2015, 5:10 PM

available for free on the internet?

As an HBO subscriber (soon to be former subscriber), that really pisses me off.

Mar 30, 2015, 5:29 PM

I wish Dabo would have responded by saying "I don't know as much about soybean wind as he does, since I don't eat a lot of soybeans..."

in state tuition out of state tuition room and board

Mar 30, 2015, 5:34 PM

In State Tuition, room and board, books = $23,304 / year = 11.20 hour based on 52 weeks. 40 hours/ week
Out of State = $41,320 / year = $19.87 an hour based on 52 weeks, 40 hours/ week.

I doubt that many 18 year olds with a high school diploma would command more than $11.20/ hour.

I get the fact that many sports bring in a lot of revenue to the University, however scholarship athletes should realize the value of their education.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2015, 6:34 PM

At Cootville they use to give free motel rooms for the football players.

F**K JOHN OLIVER!!!!!!!!

Mar 30, 2015, 7:27 PM

THERE I SAID IT!!!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh Dabs...

Mar 30, 2015, 9:25 PM

This makes me love him even more!

I have never been in favor of paying student athletes because a free education is far more valuable. Plus, while I pay back the remainder of my student loans, those kids get a free ride in addition to potentially make exceptionally more than I ever will in my lifetime, THEN they want to be paid as well? And for what, my entertainment? Yeah, no.

Thank you DS for acknowledging that and vocalizing it! I think it's great that he is teaching these guys that there is more to life than football and developing them as a good man to society/the real world (whether they go to the NFL or not). He's also right about there being too much entitlement in this world - good for him for not holding back on that. At least he said it nicely/professionally.

Also, I've never heard of the Oliver guy so he means nothing.

love his reply

Mar 31, 2015, 12:21 AM

I happen to agree with him on this issue.

Mar 31, 2015, 1:14 AM

I never get mad enough to send off messages to ppl I don't know or even heard of but I did this time for this doushbag!

You are the biggest piece of crap! Never heard of you before and you started talking crap about clemson. Your just mad they run about as clean as program as anyone in cfball and are excelling with a truley great Christian coach and your atheist perspective is just laughable!
I never come on here but you my friend need to wake up and spend your time(lil money you make) to get facts straight and quit being like a cnn news channel that spits out jibirish
Peace homie. Hope you know Jesus and not trying to hate his supporters

Mar 31, 2015, 1:39 AM

You know, I don't know you and I'm not judging but I really hope you didn't send that to anyone. Your rant is just as misinformed as Oliver's was about Dabo..was poorly written and in bad taste to boot.

I actually have watched the show in question and do actually think its pretty humorous. Even the bit he did about Dabo was funny, although Dabo would be one of the last coaches that would actually fit his narrative. The fact that he's talking about Dabo/Clemson at all just means we are making it back to the big time. Some of you just need to lighten up or grow a thicker skin.

As far as the segment Oliver did on college sports, I think he was right about many things. So few make it to the pros and most who don't also don't end up with the great education many of you point out as fair compensation. Now Clemson and some others actually do a pretty good job preparing athletes for life outside of sports.....but most don't even come close.

Oh wow....

Mar 31, 2015, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney responds to John Oliver's jab of Soybean Wind ]

John Oliver is anagram for #BRITISH #### in Swahili

Mar 31, 2015, 9:16 AM

Tweet that!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John Oliver's comedy is WAY too contrived

Mar 31, 2015, 10:38 AM

Satire is contrivance by nature, but only works when the contrivance sounds almost natural on the surface.

Dabo Swinney -> SoybeanWind? Marginal.

Earle Hall -> A Real He!!? THAT'S comedy.

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic