Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I watched the Orange Bowl 40-35 this week. I was struck by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I watched the Orange Bowl 40-35 this week. I was struck by

Dec 22, 2019, 11:49 AM

the star power on that team of ours. That was an 11-2 team. Lost to the national champs FSU and to South Carolina that finished 4th in nation that year. It was a team that finished 8th or 7th in the country. Stars were everywhere on offense and defense. Much more star power on defense than this year's team in my opinion and they gave up 35 to a great Ohio State team that was 11-1.

Here's my question. Where do we stack up size wise to some of our teams from 2013, 2014, 2015? To me, we don't look as stout now as we did then. I know, win or lose Saturday, that this will be one of the greatest teams n Clemson history, probably top 5 on out all time list. But how are we in the trenches offense and defense as opposed to 2013, 2014, 2015. I'm concerned that I don't see the size that I have in the past.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure there's a huge....

Dec 22, 2019, 12:13 PM

difference with size today....this team is certainly more talented and has more speed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I watched the Orange Bowl 40-35 this week. I was struck by

Dec 22, 2019, 12:21 PM

I don't know about all of that, but our Tigers had enough size to beat the
best team Muschamp has ever had at UofSC 38-3 ! Just saying.....

Dec 22, 2019, 12:28 PM

I believe Williams(310), Pinckney(300), Davis(299) are big enough in the trenches.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OSU starting center, Josh Myers, 6' 5", 305...

Dec 22, 2019, 1:43 PM

Tyler Davis is listed as 6' 1", 290.

Davis may appear a bit undersized against Myers. Davis is going to have to exploit a lower center of leverage against Myers, as well as some speed, else it may be a long night for Davis.

I'm very interested to see how Tyler Davis does again Myers.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Its a concern. A true frosh Tyler Davis instead of a duo of

Dec 22, 2019, 3:04 PM

DJ Reader and Grady Jarrett.

Well, if you gotta be “concerned” that is good as any.....

Dec 22, 2019, 12:36 PM

‘cause you have complete control over it and you can fix it in a week.

Give them boys some more biscuits and let’s spot the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Game has changed dramatically in 5 years.

Dec 22, 2019, 12:39 PM

Passing and speed is much more prominent.

OSU was starting a wide receiver at QB.

Our offensive line is significantly bigger and in better shape.

Our LBs are faster and defensive line is slightly smaller and quicker but more geared to stopping a RPO offense.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: The Game has changed dramatically in 5 years.

Dec 22, 2019, 12:46 PM

Yes stars all over the field. Heck mike Williams could hardly see the field. The difference now and then is the QB play. No disrespect to Tajh, just the recent QB are generational talents.

Yes, I forgot Mike Williams a Freshman, but Boyd

Dec 22, 2019, 1:23 PM

had a great game that night. I agree in general with what you said about OB play then and now, but he had a whale of a game that night in Miami.

Agree, and I know the two units don't play each other, but

Dec 22, 2019, 1:01 PM [ in reply to The Game has changed dramatically in 5 years. ]

I also notice on this years dept our defensive line is significantly smaller than Ohio State's defensive line. I think our offensive line is slightly larger Ohio State's offensive line.

Re: Agree, and I know the two units don't play each other, but

Dec 22, 2019, 1:19 PM

Dexter Lawrence was 340 and ran like a gazelle that's why he was good. Not because he's 340 but because of his speed and power. Chase Young is 260 and Isaiah Simmons is 230 and both can line up anywhere and play anything nearly. Vic Beasley was 230 and the best edge rusher in America. My coworker does this claiming that "size" is why they'll win but no it's nothing to do with the game today that's meant to constantly move the big boys.

In spite of my concerns, 6 of 7 CBS Sports Experts pick

Dec 22, 2019, 1:32 PM

us to win straight up and 6 of 7 also pick us to cover the spread. Still like your coworker, I am concerned about the size.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/17

Dec 22, 2019, 12:49 PM

The only offensive lineman that would start or even be in our rotation from 2013 would be Brandon Thomas. If you cant see how much more dominate we are on the oline now you are either blind or don't know football.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I'm not blind, but I 'm not a big X and O guy either. But it

Dec 22, 2019, 1:15 PM

looked like we were running the ball better in that Orange Bowl than I've seen us do this year. David Beasley and Isiah Battle in addition to Thomas were on the o line. Also, I've seen some sacks given up this year that were stunning and don't remember seeing too many in that Orange Bowl. I think just the one in the endzone in which Boyd threw the intentional grounding to give up the safety. Boyd played a great game by the way.

On defense we had Corey Crawford, DJ Reader, Grady Jarrett and Vic Beasley up front, with Shaq Lawson at backup. Stephone Anthony, Tony Steward, and Spencer Shuey at linebacker, with a frosh named Ben Boulware at backuup. A secondary that was loaded included: Bashaud Breland, Jaron Kearse, Robert Smith and Darrius Robnson, the backups were Martin Jenkins, Jadar Johnson, Korin Wiggins and Darrius Robinson. That's a loaded secondary. I was just like wow, are we that big and physical now?

Dec 22, 2019, 12:55 PM

We had a few snafus in that game and should have won by a bigger margin. We were that much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Yes, that was at a time in which we would have a breakdown

Dec 22, 2019, 1:18 PM

or two in the secondary each game. In spite of all the talent we had back there. An extremely talented team we fielded that year. Beat Georgia and Ohio State, psyched ourselves out of the FSU game before it even started and only other loss was to a very strong and 4th ranked South Carolina.

Re: Yes, that was at a time in which we would have a breakdown

Dec 22, 2019, 2:36 PM

Yeah and gave that game away too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, that was at a time in which we would have a breakdown

Dec 22, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Yes, that was at a time in which we would have a breakdown ]

Reminds us how good that 2013 Florida state team was. They walked into our stadium and really blew us out. 2013 we were not ready to play a big game against a great team. We are ready now. The 2013 secondary was fast and athletic but not smart and they always seemed to give up big plays.

Incredible what a great leader Dabo was in 2013. After that FSU game, I was depressed and wondered if we would ever get “over the top” to elite status. Dabo just realized that sometimes you play a bad game against a superior team. He just kept working to make us better. And look at us now. He took the beating and just got up and dusted himself off. Kept moving us forward.

I never forget how great a leader Dabo was at that time.
Or how beaten Braxton Miller was after that game.

Dec 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

Our Dline was better in 2013 with Beasley and Jarrett but we have the better LBs and DBs this year. Our O line is better in 2019. WRs as as a group probably better this year but SW did torch their defense with something like 225 yds and 14 catches. I think a lot of that was the formations Chad had us running and he did a really good job of play calling in that game. Imo, the game next week will be similar to that orange bowl game

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic