Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In a strange place.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

In a strange place.....

Dec 20, 2015, 7:08 PM

I started off as a child pulling for Clemson as a child because my spoiled neighbor and friend about my age was a huge Carolina fan because that's what rival kids do. Thank you Brett wherever you are. That was about 1980 when I could just barely understand football. Two years later we won the national championship watching at my Grandpa's house as a young child.

My grandpa was a Master Chief on the USS Tambor sub https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tambor_(SS-198). He joined the war after Pearl Harbor at 16. I heard all his stories and admired him. He took me deep sea fishing as a child and I loved him dearly.

When I got old enough to go to college most of my family didn't think I was worthy of a college education making the poorest grades in high school and being particularly horrible at math. After a stint at junior college and excelling at the one subject that killed me I was ready to go to my school.

My grandpa, dying from lung cancer, told me he would pay for my first semester at Clemson when not a lot of my family believed I could do it. He said to me the day I left, "learn your AC and DC and avoid the PC".

I graduated in engineering in 1995 and my grandpa never made it to see me graduate.

We never got to the magical place again until now. I was at the bowl game against California where I saw the Clemson fall from grace. I was there through it all and never stopped believing.

We are back again and I am back in Charleston has a math teacher. It's all so full-circle for me.

We are going to do it. I have a feeling. When we make it to that championship game I'll remember Joe Judd. We're going to take it. I know it.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In a strange place.....

Dec 20, 2015, 7:13 PM

Well done sir. ?? Go Tigers. Win 'em all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to know how many of us got knocked into the Clemson

Dec 20, 2015, 7:43 PM

camp just by Coot fans. Saw my first Clemson game in 1968 and was impressed but still not a solid Tiger. Over the following years, I learned that Coot fans were bandwagon, obnoxious, and knew little about football. Of course they easy Coot girls didn't make it a trouble free choice. That cinched it for me, Tiger forever.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This dude was obnoxious***

Dec 20, 2015, 9:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are you teaching

Dec 20, 2015, 7:44 PM

My youngest is a science/math teacher at Cane Bay Middle. You have made your grandpa proud

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I was in high school but went down to middle in Charleston

Dec 20, 2015, 8:19 PM

the earlier the better!

Math teacher, huh?

Dec 20, 2015, 7:46 PM

What's the angle of the dangle?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

DanG..that old Sub looks extremely long!!

Dec 20, 2015, 7:51 PM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's what SHE said.***

Dec 20, 2015, 7:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

hahahaha***

Dec 20, 2015, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Math teacher, huh? ]

Re: Math teacher, huh?

Dec 21, 2015, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Math teacher, huh? ]

the angle of the dangle is equal to the mass of the a$$ divided by the square of the root!

Congrats - see you in AZ

Dec 20, 2015, 8:03 PM

cheers!!!!

null

cheers! I'll be there!***

Dec 20, 2015, 8:20 PM

Great story....

Dec 20, 2015, 9:19 PM

my Dad was COB (Chief of the Boat) on a couple of Subs out of Charleston, the last being the USS Trigger (SS-564). Those were some tough guys on those old diesel fast attack boats!

Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: Tiger8693®

yes sir!!***

Dec 20, 2015, 9:31 PM

I had a similar math experience. Great story !

Dec 20, 2015, 9:23 PM

I also went the juco route and did well in college math. Something finally clicked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

strange how that happens huh?***

Dec 20, 2015, 9:31 PM

Dec 20, 2015, 9:52 PM

https://youtu.be/pVrVY540xdc

I just took a knee in your direction sir. Well done.***

Dec 20, 2015, 10:17 PM

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

Dec 20, 2015, 10:35 PM

Wow, I have a very similar story. My Grand dad served in the Coast Guard fishing survivors of U Boat attacks out of the English Channel. He was a Clemson fan because "Eff the rest of the family" who are coots.

I was the first in my family to go to college and decided to get over my fear of math there. I graduated with honors majoring in physics and math.

I don't teach, and I haven't made it back to Charleston, but I hope I'll be back there soon. My brother lives on James (my Grand Dads family name and my middle) Island. It's where I feel like I should be.

I remember talking to friends who attended other colleges

Dec 21, 2015, 7:54 AM

who never took a math course after HS---substituting a foreign language course or art history course for a math requirement---but not at dear old Clemson where Calculus (3 variables) was the minimum level math course required to earn your degree....and there were NO substitutions (at least in those days)

The fear and trepidation was great for those of us who had "mathaphobia". But ultimately, I learned much about the discipline required to be successful in math class even though I've seldom used calculus in my life since (and I understand some do). And I found that Clemson bent over backwards to help students having difficulty with particular classes by offering all manners of tutoring sessions and additional help and all one had to do was ask where to get it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep and I think I used every resource too.***

Dec 21, 2015, 8:09 AM

Dec 21, 2015, 8:40 AM

Your Grandfather saw it all! He is among a whole of Tiger fans smiling from heaven who cannot wait for the next game.

Go Tigers!

Not sure i believe you

Dec 21, 2015, 9:33 AM

Clemson doesn't take JUCO transfers. :)

Good story. I think you're right.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic