Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GT: We Dont Belong In The ACC (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

GT: We Dont Belong In The ACC (link)

Jun 4, 2020, 9:19 AM

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2020/6/2/21276853/opinion-week-we-dont-belong-in-the-atlantic-coast-conference-georgia-tech-football-acc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

SEC already has Vanderbilt.***

Jun 4, 2020, 9:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC already has Vanderbilt.***

Jun 4, 2020, 9:31 AM

They could take UofSC spot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TLDR but the SEC doesn’t want you. We barely do.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:31 AM

If you’re serious about football why did you hold on to a dinosaur running an extinct offense that Venables decoded years ago? If you care about in state rivalries show up for them. However I will point out GT has won a National Championship since Georgia has.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TLDR but the SEC doesn’t want you. We barely do.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:02 PM

I won't discredit Venables at all in figuring out their offense, because Venables is brilliant. However, I think a large part of figuring them out was having a dominant DL that was able to get penetration and blow up most of what they were doing before it ever got started.

Re: GT: We Dont Belong In The ACC (link)

Jun 4, 2020, 9:33 AM

I was amazed to learn that GT was only 219 miles from Southern Cal!

How is changing conferences going to improve GT athletics?..

Jun 4, 2020, 9:39 AM

They are HORRIBLE now, in every sport. Football and basketball especially.

Get better GT, the ACC needs you. You'll be amazed at how fun games become when you are competitive.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is changing conferences going to improve GT athletics?..

Jun 4, 2020, 9:42 AM

Because it worked so well for the Twerps ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: How is changing conferences going to improve GT athletics?..

Jun 4, 2020, 10:13 AM

I agree. If this article had been written in 2014, when Tech ended up 11-3 and #8 in the AP, it would resonate more. Sounds like sour grapes. They need to recruit better and play better. I honestly don't think moving to another conference, especially the SEC, is going to improve Tech's football fortunes.

My counter-point.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:42 AM

I agree. GT doesn't belong in the ACC. The ACC would be much better off to drop GT and pick up UCF.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:43 AM

Well, he’s right about a lot in that article. Particularly about how Dodd pissed off everyone with his elitist attitude. If they hadn’t been so arrogant then they might would still be in the sec.

We still carry $2 bills around- that started with us being disrespected by GaTech.

Jun 4, 2020, 9:47 AM

SoCon might take you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ugh, that's a terrible picture

Jun 4, 2020, 10:12 AM

if we could only get one stop on defense

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

ONE STOP - we needed ONE STOP ! ! ! ! In the Top 3 most

Jun 4, 2020, 11:28 AM

frustrating games I witnessed in person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: ONE STOP - we needed ONE STOP ! ! ! ! In the Top 3 most

Jun 4, 2020, 11:44 AM

It was for me as well - great stadium/environment but disappointing ending... The ACC network was re-airing that game the other night - CJ was amazing in that game and we still lost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how often is the MVP for a game

Jun 4, 2020, 12:01 PM

on the losing side? Probably not that often

I threw my oranges anyway before I left that place

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Jun 4, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: ONE STOP - we needed ONE STOP ! ! ! ! In the Top 3 most ]

I remember late in the game we had cut it to a single possession game, and our defense finally did make a stop. I remember seeing a huge smile on CJ's face knowing we were about to get the ball back. We then quickly went down the field for a touchdown to take the lead late. I then remember the announcers saying that Dabo had told the defense that if they couldn't make a stop to win the game that they didn't deserve to win a championship. I think it was less than 5 plays later that GT scored the winning touchdown.

I felt bad enough already, but felt awful for CJ that his great effort was wasted that night. That guy took a chance on Dabo and Clemson before it was cool to do so. I hate that he didn't get to enjoy the type of success that we've had over the past several years. I really think we owe a lot of it to him.

Jun 4, 2020, 3:19 PM

I talked to a current student (rising sophomore) recently that didn’t know who CJ is. Seriously.

Jun 4, 2020, 3:56 PM

Wow, that makes me feel as if I'm getting old. I guess that student probably would've been around 8 or 9 the last year Spiller played here, so I can understand not remembering his playing days. I do think recruits took notice of Spiller during his time at Clemson, and in the years that followed which played a big part in building our program towards what it is today. For instance, I can only imagine Spiller coming here had a big impact on another Florida guy like Sammy Watkins looking into Clemson.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: ONE STOP - we needed ONE STOP ! ! ! ! In the Top 3 most ]

He had 20 carries for 233 yards and 4 touchdowns. He also added 1 catch for 5 yards, and 63 yards on kick returns. He averaged 11.7 YPC that night, and Ellington had 5 carries for 63 yards for an average of 12.6 YPC. Our top 2 running backs combined for 296 yards rushing for an average of 11.84 YPC and we still managed to lose the game.

Jun 4, 2020, 10:48 AM

lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well thats a fantasy article...

Jun 4, 2020, 11:11 AM

Im sure the SEC is drooling over the thought of adding GT. Like that school or its market base adds anything to the conference...maybe if they want to say they care about academics. They just need to get better at sports and it takes care of itself.

If distance is his main premise, then alot of schools dont belong in the ACC...mainly Pitt, BC, Miami, Louisville...pretty much only schools in VA,NC,SC, GA and FSU belong. That also means from the SEC that TAMU, Arky, UK, MIzzou dont belong...and maybe you could throw LSU into that mix.

Jun 4, 2020, 11:25 AM

I think ACC Football schedules would be much better if they had split into North/South divisions. Always thought the closer border rivals of the SEC made it much better until they made the stupid mistake of bringing in aTm and Missou. Same with ACC having Syracuse, BC and Pitt. Can we bring back 12 team conferences with schools that are closer to one another?

I wouldn't miss GT for one second...b-bye!

Jun 4, 2020, 11:56 AM

Would trade them for SCAR given the chance, but who what conference in its right mind drops the Atlanta Market for Cootlumbia? Looks like GT is stuck with the ACC, and the ACC is stuck with GT. Techies, the beatings will continue until morale improves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't miss GT for one second...b-bye!

Jun 4, 2020, 12:09 PM

The SEC already has the Atlanta market. UGA may not be located in Atlanta, but they certainly control a much larger portion of the fan base in that location and throughout the state.

Only thing I totally agreed in this article was

Jun 4, 2020, 12:00 PM

realignment of the ACC. That needs to happen.

Agreed

Jun 4, 2020, 5:40 PM

At the time a FSU-Miami championship seemed like a good idea, and it probably was, but it never materialized, and probably never will. They did manage to save something with “the Bowden Bowl” and the annual division clinching games between Clemson and Florida State. It’s not a good thing though when your biggest game of the year is a divisional championship and NOT a conference championship. Everyone knew the winner of Clemson-FSU was going to win the ACC lol

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 12:16 PM

I agree with most that the guy says. I just was not aware that GT fans even give a rat's butt about football. They seem pretty calm at games IMO. They are probably thinking about the next calculus test during the game.

The SEC would not even consider GT as a possible team to join them. Not even think about thinking about it.

As for realignment, I've said from the beginning of the ACC divisions that we needed North and South, not some made of crap that some idiot thought made sense. Who thought that was a good idea? I wish that idiot(s) would claim it so we could chastise him. Meanwhile, I guess we can just keep criticizing the knucklehead leaders of the ACC that still think it's not a problem and does not need to be fixed. Maybe they just don't know how to do stuff like that. We should give them a raise and extend any contracts since they are so clueless. Hey clowns, just fix the dang problem or get the heck out of the way and let someone that has a clue do it.

EDIT:
Well since I stated we have a problem, I guess I'll include a solution (a practice that I learned in business over 40+ years - If you bring the boss a problem, always bring a possible solution to said problem).

(1) obtain a map of America
(2) locate the ACC schools (don't bother looking for ND)
(3) There 14 ACC schools, so locate the 7 southernmost ACC schools
(4) Draw a line just above the northernmost of those 7 southernmost schools
(5) The 7 southernmost schools will be in the SOUTH division
(6) The 7 northernmost schools will be in the NORTH division

In the future, ACC administrators, try to do YOUR job yourself without us wiping your collective butts.

Message was edited by: Orange Lightning®

Message was edited by: Orange Lightning®

Jun 4, 2020, 8:01 PM

They seem calm? How about bored? They were not calm when the Jackets were upsetting FSPU in that blocked kick game a few years back. Any fan base is less than energized when their team stinks.

"We don't belong on the field with Clemson"

Jun 4, 2020, 12:18 AM

There, fixed it for you.

completely agree with ACC realignment***

Jun 4, 2020, 12:18 PM

Not sure about GT but ...

Jun 4, 2020, 12:53 PM

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-Football-expert-says-that-the-Clemson-Tigers-might-as-well-be-considered-the-15th-SEC-team-amid-dominance-of-ACC--147640594/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2020, 1:13 PM

This is a pretty dumb article. So say they join the SEC... and finish like 2-10 every year for 10 years straight, then they'll beg to rejoin the ACC.

The one thing I do agree on is the layout of the divisions... very stupid. Should be North and South or Original and Big East

Jun 4, 2020, 2:39 PM

I don't think his view on the ACC is very representative of their fan base outside very old timers who have a personal memory of GaTech playing in the SEC. Plus, it's laughable that GaTech is the most hated team in the ACC.

I agree on a North/South division.

South

Ga Tech
Clemson'
FSU
Miami
Wake
Duke
Louisville.

North

UNC
NCSU
VaTech
UVA
Pitt
BC
Syra

I'm 100% in agreement . .

Jun 4, 2020, 7:40 PM

ACC isn't for them and I support their move to the Southern Conference !! Paladins, Killer Bees . . . what a rivalry !!

Re: I'm 100% in agreement . .

Jun 4, 2020, 8:24 PM

Or maybe the Big 12 will take them. Just don't let the door slam on their rears as they are leaving. If they can't spell Clemson correctly then they aren't needed. Goodbye and good riddance.

I’ve always enjoyed our rivalry with GT.

Jun 4, 2020, 8:54 PM

Two good engineering schools, close in geography, and historically both good at football. Fans seem to have a respect for the opposing team.

It wasn’t that long ago, in the ‘00s, that we almost always had very close games each time we played. I don’t remember the exact stat, but it was something like 4-4-1 over a 9 year span, with a very slim average margin of victory. There is a reason we are each other’s cross-division rival.

I feel sorry for their fans, because they want to be good. They are obviously capable of being very good in football, and basketball too. They are just victims of poor leadership and some bad coaching hires.

I think they will be good again. There is no way they won’t be, it’s just a matter of when. People like to say that it’s an urban campus or make it sound like their academics make it too tough, but the reality is that plenty of recruits would love to go there if the football program were better. Academics aren’t keeping any recruits out of GT any more than they are at any other ACC school. I would argue that GT could benefit from a few more majors, but again, that didn’t hurt them in the past when they were really good at sports.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Bye***

Jun 4, 2020, 8:54 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic