Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell talks about coaching options, his love of Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Mar 24, 2011, 9:05 PM

Clemson head basketball coach Brad Brownell spoke candidly on Thursday on what it would take for him to leave Clemson, and said that other programs wanting to hire him or his assistants show something is being done right with the Tiger program. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I listened to the press conf

Mar 24, 2011, 9:11 PM

all of it. Something I wouldn't do just anytime. I really like this guy. Solid coach, solid guy. Hope he wants to be here a long time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto for me, with everything you posted.***

Mar 24, 2011, 9:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ditto for me, with everything you posted- Someone here

Mar 24, 2011, 9:29 PM

is a sad piece of carp to TD these posts above. Oh go ahead if it makes you happy but you need to see someone and get some professional help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? I gave you your first point on your post.***

Mar 24, 2011, 9:55 PM

Ah, I just saw the "Someone here" in your subject line.

Mar 24, 2011, 10:04 PM

I misunderstood your post, I thought you believed I had TD'ed your post. Just the opposite, I totally agreed with every word.

not sure who it is

Mar 24, 2011, 10:38 PM

just some coot I suspect

Re: Brownell talks about coaching options, his love of Clemson

Mar 24, 2011, 9:45 PM

I met him last year in Atlanta during the Prowl and Growl. He was over-shadowed by Dabo of course, who is just amazing with people, but he was not uncomfortable at all. In fact, he ribbed Dabo pretty good about being a "blackhole" during their pick-up basketball games (Dabo seems to think he is Oglesby; shoot often with unlimited range). While he does not have Dabo's "gift" with people, he does connect at a different level and leaves a different impression. When I spoke with him, I got a sense of a guy with tremendous depth, knowledge, thought and a very keen mind. I am often around some brilliant people in my work who have a way to consolidate their opinions and mindset in unique ways; Brownell impressed me in this way.

I know it is WAY too early but he may be a Hall of Fame coach in the making. His success EVERYWHERE he has been in remniscent of the Bob Knights, Coach K, Larry Brown types who just have a sense of the game that is ahead of his peers. I can tell you this, he did not get out-coached a single time this year (and out-coached most). In fact, to further go off the deep end, Coach K is the only current coach that, if given a chance, I would select over Brownell. I think he is a superstar in the making; just hope we realize it soon enough.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get the MAN locked in for amother 5 years or so!

Mar 26, 2011, 7:39 AM

Whats he making now,$900,000? Get him to $1.5 Mil.

http://www.wrdw.com/sports/regionalheadlines/91128419.html

Great job coach in your first year...here's hoping for many

Mar 24, 2011, 10:04 PM

many more

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really like this guy

Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 PM

Very good coach and an even better person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't think we hold onto him long with his track record

Mar 25, 2011, 9:01 AM

he's on the way up up up....and our commitment to basketball historically hasn't been that great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I agree with that take at all. If he doesn't have

Mar 25, 2011, 10:57 AM

much success, he won't be wooed by any big time programs. If he does have that much success, LJ will be sold out consistently, revenues are up and we can pay him $2million to keep him here.

I think he really likes Clemson and wants to build something special. If he can't build what he wants, for whatever reason, I could see him take a lateral move to get somewhere that he thinks would allow him to achieve his goals. If he does make Clemson into a solid annual contender in the ACC, I think we simply have to pay him to keep him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

That all depends. I like this guy as well...

Mar 25, 2011, 1:53 PM [ in reply to I don't think we hold onto him long with his track record ]

and he made it very clear that the things which would cause him to leave would be:

1. Not being successful. (Can't get kids to come play or ACC won't play fair and it makes a difference.)
2. He and admin don't have the same vision. (AD won't let him do things his way, get coaches he needs, get facilities he needs etc.)
3. His family is not happy here. (This one is huge. If they are in a good neighborhood with good schools and good friends for wife and kids, all will be well. If the neighbors are freaks and/or wife and kids can't build good relationships, he will go quickly.)

I think if his family is real happy and they are getting a good education and his wife has lots of good friends, AND the ACC realizes they need a good Clemson basketball team, we could win the ACC 3 years in a row and this guy wouldn't leave even if offered Dook, UNC, Ky, Perdue or Indiana. He's just not that shallow and knows he can make Clemson into the same thing those others are. Look closely at Dook's history and you'll see their status in the elite is only since K. We can become a power house basketball school. It can happen.

I'll add this: I pray it does happen. Brad Brownell does things the right way and this kind of behavior needs to be rewarded if basketball is to thrive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Mar 25, 2011, 7:18 AM

I hope Brownell keeps the desire to be at Clemson well into the future. I feel like this is the first coach we have had for our Men's Basketball program that could truly take us to a higher level. Not taking anything from the previous coaches, as I am not here to debate how good or bad they were, but I feel really confident about Brad.

Hopefully the 'challenges' are something that he can take control over. While I have always been primarily a football fan, I met Anthony Jenkins many times while I was at school in Clemson back in the 80's, and even played a few games of one on one with him outside in the courtyard of Johnstone (which were more like me being an observer of his talents) and developed an interest in the basketball program which hasn't fully matured until now.

I think looking back at this season, we lost Booker and Rivers, and a big part of our offense. At first, there was a void there, but Brad and the staff did a good job of developing the talent that was there, and we ended up with a fairly decent team. Offensively, we could use some improvement, but defensively, I thought we were as tough as anyone. I was impressed with the improvement in Grant, Booker, and especially Jennings. Hopefully we will have something to build on next year with the rigth additions for the future.

Thanks for choosing Clemson Brownell.

Agree with everyone else, CBB is a class act and from

Mar 25, 2011, 8:35 AM

what he said at that interview, it sounds like he really likes Clemson so hopefully he's here for the long haul. Just from reading the story he's sounds like a genuine person, what you see is what you get. I also agree with "most" of Tnet in saying that he is a GREAT coach. I saw improvement from each individual one the team and the team as a whole throughout the season and we really played unselfishly just like a "team" should. Hoep the orange gets in his blood.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2011, 8:46 AM

Several things he said made me take note. He says things that leave no doubt that he likes Clemson and appreciates the things we have, both for himself and for his family. He loves his family, and a daddy and husband who doesn't think of them and their fit in the big picture s a guy who doesn't really understand important commitments that are critical to overall success. A lousy home life makes for a problem riddled professional life, with very few exceptions. Lastly, he wants the kind of assistants other programs want. I'd say he is the whole package at this point, and I am very proud of him and our players and assistants. I believe we are on the right track in both football and basketball, and I am delighted to see it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What would be really great? If Clemson basketball got to

Mar 25, 2011, 10:24 AM

the point, where no one would even bother contacting our great coach about a job offer. Does anyone ever go to Coach K (at the college level) and bother offering him a job (or Williams @ UNC etc.)

Although I ageee with your...

Mar 25, 2011, 1:59 PM

position that it would be great to get Clemson to that level, I must also admit it will take a decade to do it. I hope coach Brownell is here that long and longer. If he is, it means we are on our way.

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Re: Brownell talks some key points

Mar 25, 2011, 10:50 AM

He remains consistent that you have to be committed and want to be at Clemson. I like this. He also does not appear to have fear of anyone leaving.
He says he came to clemson because he knew he could be successful here and the sense was one of being comfortable that most likely is part of his first year success
Next point was you begin to think about others if you are not improving and headed in the right direction. I believe there was much unstated about OPs departure and that this is where he found himself - believing he had peaked. I think the difference with BB is OP was a turn around type of person and liked fast results and building and maintaining a program over the long run did not satisfy the pace o results he desires. Watching and listening to BB I get the sense he is a program builder and has a long term vision. Thus recruiting, getting players and treatment by Tobacco road will be important to his perspective. We must be VERY cautious next year to be all in and support his efforts as a rebuilding effort may take effect. We need to be aware of this and support the program win or lose next year this with the Departure of Stitt and Grant.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

I always support a coach for at least five years.

Mar 25, 2011, 2:13 PM

However, I think we gain more than we lose for the next three.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really like coach Brownell. I know he knows...

Mar 25, 2011, 2:07 PM

what he needs to know to get us where I want us to be. That said, next year will be our turn to show up just like he and his staff did this year. Those games in December when nobody is there need to be better attended. I made an effort to get to more games this year and next year I'll go to as many as possible (still looking at season tix). We truly need to rock the John even in those games against nobody when the students are gone. Perhaps something could be done with bulk ticket buys are something. I don't have the solution but I am hoping that those of us near Clemson will show up further strengthening coach Brownell's resolve about us and where we can be in a couple of years.

Re: I really like coach Brownell. I know he knows...

Mar 25, 2011, 9:06 PM

Season Tickets to Basketball? That actually crossed my mind a couple days ago and I live in Columbia. I have always followed the basketball program close but never ever thought about season tickets...just couldn't make it worth it, living a couple hours away, but something about this guy gets me excited! When's the last time we said we were ready for basketball season or actually started reading up on our recruiting? #### I sound like a heel. Forget I said any of that....when does football start!!?

Shaka Smart***

Mar 30, 2011, 2:23 AM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic