Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O-Line is costing Watson & Gallman Million$
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

O-Line is costing Watson & Gallman Million$

Sep 23, 2016, 11:15 AM

What is going on with the offensive line and how did they get so much worse than last year??

There is absolutely no run blocking at all for the running backs and all the passing game is now relying on 5-10 yard routes because Watson is having to sprint out with 3 guys on his heels or in his face on almost every play. The chatter about DW not 'trusting' Mike Williams is crazy IMO...the deep routes just aren't there with pass rush causing Watson to let it go too quick and too low of a trajectory. Unfortunately, it's making Watson look very average.

BTW, why is Deon Cain getting more touches than Artavis Scott?!?! From what I see, Cain can't catch the ball and Scott was our "go to guy" last year and has been forgotten about now. I pleased to see that McCloud has learned his lesson from the "fumble" and has really been impressive.

The running game is suffering in about the same way with linemen getting pushed back into the backfield and clogging up the running lanes. Our backs have speed & power, but not to get a chance to build up a little momentum makes it extremely difficult to move the ball downfield. We need to get the ball up the middle to take make the screens & such more effective on the edges.

I don't know the how or why, but someone needs to fire up the offensive line to play with the same passion & intensity of the defensive line...is it the coaches or players not getting the job done? There needs to be a change in attitude and it's time to get nasty against Louisville.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: O-Line is costing Watson & Gallman Million$

Sep 23, 2016, 11:17 AM

I see it as un selfish play. If they were to dominate, it would not be fair to the rest of the team and could actually cause us to score fewer points.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2016, 11:25 AM

well, how many passes did scott drop? last night he had a bad case of butterfingers.

Scott has been under performing. He's not progressed

Sep 23, 2016, 11:29 AM

as a receiver and he made some poor decisions with the ball last night. Failed to use his body to keep a defender away from the ball and make the catch on a couple last night. Without Renfrow, our best three may currently be Williams, Ray Ray and Cornell Powell. Cain has struggled, but he will get it together.

The line is really struggling against mediocre competition, but we do seem to be playing a lot of backups early these last 3 games. I noticed Falcinelli at center early last night and he chose not to block a guy lined up on his nose and Watson got killed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not ready to say Cornell is better than Tay after one game***

Sep 23, 2016, 11:49 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given how things are going, Powell deserves the chance

Sep 23, 2016, 11:53 AM

to find out after 4 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2016, 4:54 PM

I am pretty sure that Coachmac is the one that needs the change of attitude. Clemson is 4 -0. Enjoy it!!!!

Sep 23, 2016, 5:25 PM

Bobby Hutchinson...err, Taylor Hearn, sorry, has been really bad at LG. Like, really bad.

Fruhmorgen has been pot luck at RG. Some good, a whole lot of whaddat? I think Fruh will come out of it because he moves really well and just seems to have the yips. Not sure what's up with Hearn; he's got size but every time I watch him he's usually at Ground Zero of whatever Apocalyptic catastrophe is unfolding on the OL. I'd have to crunch the film to see if he's being targeted, or has just had some matchup problems, or if he's just really that bad.

I do think it's telling the coaches did not keep the shirt on John Simpson, and he's right in there behind Hearn and has been seeing the field. Methinks maybe the staff is just not sold on Hearn and is hedging their bets in case they have to shrug their shoulders and go with Simpson later on in the year.

Bottom line is, the biggest loss from last year's OL - clearly - was Eric MacLain. I know he got voted All-ACC and was without question the spokesman and Alpha personality from last year's OL, but I don't think we realized how important his personality and leadership was to the OL because the lack of it this year is glaring. I certainly don't think it's an accident that the OL emerged when MacLain did the last two years and has gone into a bit of a shell now without him. Bottom line is if you look there's three sophomores (two of whom are new starters), one junior, and just one senior on this OL and it's playing like it right now.

Sep 23, 2016, 5:29 PM

Sorry, meant Fruhmorgen has been pot luck at right tackle, not RG.

Sep 23, 2016, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: O-Line is costing Watson & Gallman Million$ ]

They should put Simpson in there right now.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Some of it is the WR blocking. We miss Peake and now Renfrow***

Sep 23, 2016, 5:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i thought the same thing last night on a couple of the sweep

Sep 23, 2016, 5:42 PM

Type plays where last year Peake would have just shoved his guy down like the Miami game with DW and gt game with Wayne but aside from that there is very little push on interior runs

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic