Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On a different note, anyone else offended by Jeopardy ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

On a different note, anyone else offended by Jeopardy ?

Feb 15, 2014, 2:58 PM

I'll preface this by saying I've lived in WNC and upstate SC my entire life of a brief 23 years. If anyone embraces southern culture in America, it's me. But really, Jeopardy? "Hey, y'all, lets head on down to Death Valley and watch Tajh Boyd..." Dur dur durrr. I understand that y'all is an actual English word and I use it more than most when speaking to other people, but I found it somewhat funny that Jeopardy worded the question in this manner. Restored that sweet confederate, colonial feel to the upstate again ;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope.***

Feb 15, 2014, 3:25 PM

Re: On a different note, anyone else offended by Jeopardy ?

Feb 15, 2014, 3:28 PM

I'm fine with it. I just assumed it was an attempt to clue them in that the school was in the south. Clemson definitely has a southern feel to the fanbase and school, so I think it is fine to add that in there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was kind of my point...

Feb 15, 2014, 3:36 PM

Growing up in the south I can tell you it wasn't the majority of the population going around saying "yall" and "howdy-do". Yes it's the south but it's also 2014. I'm curious as to what Jeopardy would use to clue you in on a Northeastern school? Or California school...just found it somewhat interesting because I find myself having to be reminded of cultural/regional stereotypes because after experiencing it there doesn't seem to be much of an actual difference.

Easy: NE..."Youse guys;" California..."Like hey Dude, what's

Feb 15, 2014, 6:03 PM

happnin' maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Hartins. Sup brah.***

Feb 15, 2014, 6:06 PM

My sister is from SC but has lived in LI, NY for 20+ years.

Feb 15, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to That was kind of my point... ]

When she visits and says, "Let's go get some cawafee," I just shake my head and laugh. And will keep saying Y'all all day long. There's nothing wrong with cultural/regional dialects and traditions. We're forced to accept all of the crap that the youth spews out these days. Why not leave some things alone and not worry about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My sister is from SC but has lived in LI, NY for 20+ years.

Feb 16, 2014, 12:43 AM

Sorry bout your sis. Just kidding.

Feb 15, 2014, 3:29 PM

I think they used y'all to hint to the contestants that this was a southern school. Most people not from the south wouldn't think twice about the context. The way they worded it was a bit shallow but I don't think their intention was to undermine the south or southerners in any way.

Jeopardy is a game show that hopes to suck in as many viewers as possible. They're not in the business of being divisive.

So you're offended & find it somewhat funny @ the same time?

Feb 15, 2014, 3:31 PM

So you're offended & find it somewhat funny @ the same time?

Or did one come before the other?

Were you offended first then laughed? Or did you laugh first then become offended?

Did you type your post with your right brain or wrong brain?

Is "dur dur durrr" how they laugh in area code 828?

I'm seriously concerned about people like you, because it is psychological behavior like yours that causes actual violence to occur in the world because you can't decide one way or the other how to respond to something you've witnessed. Being offended has absolutely nothing to do with finding humor in something & my advice to you is to seek immediate psychotherapy because your bi-polar tendencies may have serious effects in the near future.

If you are a casual.......................................

Feb 15, 2014, 3:36 PM

viewer of Jeopardy you may not realize that the clues are designed to give a hint to the contestants. The above poster is correct. There is nothing here to be offended about. Ya'll worry to much about the small s&%t!

Man, didn't mean to offend you.

Feb 15, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to So you're offended & find it somewhat funny @ the same time? ]

Do you think everything will be ok between the two of us and we can move forward. It's a discussion board. I asked the question as to whether or not you were offended, which you weren't, and that's something I'll equally respect as to any other dissenting opinion.

Re: Man, didn't mean to offend you.

Feb 15, 2014, 3:46 PM

In your defense, if it were a black school like Grambling and they started the question "yo homie..." Twitter would've exploded,and national news stations would've had a field day.

My point is, I think we have been conditioned to be offended by stereotypes by our overly PC media.

I'm from the south and when Family Guy had an entire episode devoted to making fun of the south, I thought it was hilarious.

I suppose offended may not be the right word

Feb 15, 2014, 3:54 PM

Not harboring any emotion about it necessarily but it seemed like one of the those deals where California might be referenced by surfing or beaches, the Northeast by cold weather perhaps and then Clemson as being in the south where we talk slightly differently. Perhaps as a Clemson alumni I am reading too much into this because I feel "Death Valley" "Tajh Boyd" and "ACC" team gives you plenty substantial clues!

It appears I've offended you.

Feb 15, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Man, didn't mean to offend you. ]

It appears I've offended you.

Let me please apologize for being in the mood to critique your post this afternoon if it has given you a less-than-ideal opinion of me.

My post was meant to be mostly in jest but I must admit that I was concerned that you might have actually been offended by the Jeopardy clue.

I was way more offended that nobody answered with the correct question, although I believe that the Ohio State grad was simply pretending to be ignorant due to bitterness.

That was quite sad on their part.

Feb 15, 2014, 3:56 PM

As a Clemson alumnus it seemed "Death Valley, tajh Boyd, and acc team" should be plenty of clues without making fun of how we speak ;)

I was offended yes***

Feb 15, 2014, 3:58 PM

I think Americans get way to offended over everything.***

Feb 15, 2014, 5:45 PM

Oh really?! Who are you to tell me I get too offended?

Feb 15, 2014, 5:53 PM

That's offensive. On a serious note, are Americans too offended or is that a perpetuation of the media?

I think you proved my point.

Feb 16, 2014, 1:36 PM

Are you offended at what I said. Get over yourself. There is only one person that can allow you to be offended and that is you. Same thing with me I can only be offended if I allow myself to be.

What if it started out...

Feb 15, 2014, 5:51 PM

"Grrrr, let's head down to Death Valley to see who'll earn their tiger stripes".

Would you be offended or would Tigers be offended because "grrrr" is really not what a tiger says but rather a stereotype of what a tiger sounds like?

All the sissy types who are offended so easily practically about everything and try to read between the lines where nothing is makes me want to puke. When you find your big boy pants hopefully there's a hankie in the front pocket to wipe the tears away.

Just kiddin'...but am I? ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Offended? Really? You must be a liberal.***

Feb 15, 2014, 5:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Y'all are giving me just a good ole hard time ain't yee?

Feb 15, 2014, 5:59 PM

Us southerners don't know those big fancy city words like "liberal". Now if y'all will excuse me I got a hankerin' for collards and mama's black eyes peas.

You derived all that from a Jeopardy clue?***

Feb 16, 2014, 1:38 PM

the true worst part about the whole deal is this:

Feb 15, 2014, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Offended? Really? You must be a liberal.*** ]

these folks made Jeopardy, where somebody should be pretty knowledgeable & up on current events you would think...?

forget the stupid y'all crap! you'd have to have been living in a box or not know what a sport or ball is to not be able to clue in after they dropped those hint-bombs on you!!! add in y'all & you don't figure it out...?

sorry, but they're either bitter, sheltered, or mentally handicapped.

If Deliverance and Beverly Hillbillies didn't get a rise out

Feb 15, 2014, 8:55 PM

of me I don't think a gameshow will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is everyone so sensitive. More tackle football, less MTV.***

Feb 15, 2014, 9:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

PS...

Feb 15, 2014, 9:23 PM

Hearing "you guys" from someone living in SC makes my skin crawl. It screams transplant, or kid that watches too much TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jeopardy doesn't just give answers. They also give clues

Feb 15, 2014, 10:37 PM

within those answers to help one figure out the correct question. That is all they were doing. Nothing to be offended about.

What people are failing to see or acknowledge is that

Feb 16, 2014, 12:45 AM

the only place in the world where the pronoun "yinz" is used, Western Pennsylvania(Pittsburgh), is owned by Clemson.

What Jeopardy is basically pointing out is that Clemson is the football capital of the universe.

I haven't

Feb 16, 2014, 8:04 AM

Joined the "Always Offended" crowd just yet

Feb 16, 2014, 9:44 AM

Offended by Y'all? Really? Just throwing it out there but i'm guessing the part of the 828 you are from is Asheville?

Not offended. More offended by your dur dur dur.

Feb 16, 2014, 10:50 AM

Alex used an accent, just like he would use a Boston accent or a French accent. You added an insult to the accent. Maybe your preconceptions (southern accent = lower intelligence) are offending you.

No, it's silly to be offended by that

Feb 16, 2014, 11:30 AM

Jeopardy uses dialects, slang, etc. all the time to give clues.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I was more upset that no one knew the answer.

Feb 16, 2014, 11:58 AM

They knew the other college football questions but not that one. Maybe they got confused by Death Valley, and thought LSU?

Clemson is the orginal Death Valley.

Feb 16, 2014, 1:40 PM

Get it straight, ####.

Woah, easy there pal. Don't get so offended.

Feb 16, 2014, 1:46 PM

You and I both know another school calls their stadium Death Valley. Considering the contestants are not Clemson or LSU fans, it's very possible the Death Valley reference threw them off. No need to get worked up over that observation.

If "Tajh Boyd", "ACC Team" and "rub the rock"

Feb 16, 2014, 1:51 PM

Doesn't ring a bell them I'm pretty sure "Death Valley" won't be of any assistance. Still convinced the OSU contestant was being stubborn rather than ignorant -_-

I agree especially the Ohio State contestant. She should

Feb 16, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to I was more upset that no one knew the answer. ]

have a recent sting about Clemson.

I thought it was annoying that no one knew the answer

Feb 16, 2014, 2:26 PM

but then I saw that one contestant had an Ohio State shirt on which left me in fits of laughter when he didn't buzz it in.

Ain't offended, y'all. Ain't offended a'tall, though maybe

Feb 16, 2014, 2:35 PM

one day we can all sound alike, look alike, work alike, live alike, be alike, just gray ourselves down to an indistinguishable gelatinous glob. Variety sucks. Long live homogeny.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic