Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think the 2020 recruiting class is going to be extra
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

I think the 2020 recruiting class is going to be extra

Jan 25, 2019, 11:49 AM

special. We are going to get stud recruits at every position and I really think this could be the class that catapults our OL recruiting to the next level. We already have some great one's committed and we are going to bring in some more at the position. With the amount of commits that we take at this position this year and the quality of players that we are in the running for this may could be what makes future OL look and take notice at the trenches on offense at Clemson.

This is going to be a lot of fun.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right about the OL,LOOKS like RB position about to go up

Jan 25, 2019, 11:53 AM

another notch also.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the 2020 recruiting class is going to be extra

Jan 25, 2019, 11:54 AM

maybe it should be tigapaults instead

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the 2020 recruiting class is going to be extra

Jan 25, 2019, 5:56 PM

+1 for adding to my vocabulary! Tigapults, I like that!

I think they are in for a rude awakening if...

Jan 25, 2019, 12:33 PM

they think they can casually stroll onto the field as a starter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s

Jan 25, 2019, 1:19 PM

Not to say the ones we have now aren’t high caliber, it’s just we need a game changer at that position. Leggett and Dwayne Allen were special.

Re: I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s

Jan 25, 2019, 1:23 PM

Galloway remains to be seen. Lay in this 2019 class falls into the same category.

Both of them fit the Legette mold in that they have really high ceilings but need some development.

Reports are that the 2020 TE target from GA who is coming for the elite junior day is a talent that we have never seen in a TE at Clemson.

Jan 25, 2019, 1:49 PM

We could use a gronk

Jan 25, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s ]

Bennie Cunningham was amazing. I don’t think we’ll ever see one as good as he was.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 6:22 PM

His success with the Steelers certainly proved that. Wasn't used enough at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

From what I’ve read and watched on film.......

Jan 25, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s ]

Jaelyn Lay may just be the TE we need. I was excited about a number of our TE’s, like Milan Richard, but they never reached the level of Leggett and Allen. I thought the kid from Seneca might become a Leggett, but I have no idea what is going to happen with that situation AND he needs to work on his pass catching.

Re: From what I’ve read and watched on film.......

Jan 25, 2019, 1:34 PM

Leggett needed to work on a ton of things in his freshman year.

Galloway seems like a pretty good Leggett match to me.

People remember Leggett as a junior and senior but he was basically invisible as a freshman and sophomore.

With our talent at WR we may not see a TE make an impact in the way that Leggett did in terms of volume of catches. I would love to see it being a huge part of our 3rd down and red zone offense again though.

Jan 25, 2019, 1:51 PM

Leggett was an enigma his first two years. I don't know if he was lazy or the light had not been turned on. Some players are like that, the potential is there but for some reason their progress seems to be stuck in neutral. If he had performed in his sophomore year like he did in his senior year and progressed from that point, he would have been an All American. A TE who excels at blocking and as a pass snatcher, would open up our offense to the ultra scary level.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2019, 4:51 PM

Joe, I understand your description of Leggett's development and agree with you, but having played a bit of TE myself, I'll say he was one of the worst TE blockers I've ever seen, yet one of the best WR/split end/flankers I've ever seen. What he was was a big-body WR who could sometimes shield a runner (some might call that a block) or feint a block at a blitzer enough to throw him off course (some might call that a block, too)..... but I never saw him put his shoulder into a block in the hole, on the edge or in the backfield and because of that, to me he was no blocker at all.

Leggett was excellent at the 9-spot and in the slot - particularly on come-back routes, crosses and slants. He was tall enough to catch jump balls and fast and quick enough to get separation across the middle and had great hands. Basically, he was an extra Hunter Renfrow who could also play 9 WR. He was also pretty good at slipping out to the flat from the 3-back position.

I thought he was a great player, just not a TE.

I agree with you that a good blocking TE who can run routes and catch the ball would give us another dimension and I've been hoping for a Dwayne Allen clone for a long time. To me, Dwayne was Mr. Football..... one of the best TEs I've seen.

BUT...... somehow, we've been doing OK without what we'd like to see - and much of that this year was because of #44 Garrett Williams. He's a very good blocker, but I suppose not much of a receiver, since he wasn't used for much other than blocking. We had good WRs, so he gave us the blocking we needed at the point of attack that Leggett never could..... so there's more than one way to skin a cat (or an elephant)..... BUT (again), the TE you and I would like to see who could do both well would certainly give us another weapon.

Jan 25, 2019, 6:20 PM

After 2017, thought Richard would be targeted more this past season as I think he caught even less balls. As with Leggett, Richard didn't impress with his blocking ability given his size. Can't help but wonder if coaching is a factor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:04 PM

You raise a good question of coaching. One would have thought (I surely did) that Richard would have been a terrific TE, yet he was a big disappointment (to me). I thought his contribution was better as a blocker than as a receiver, but it wasn't great by any measure. I don't know if were not developing talent at TE - or if we are not getting the talent to develop.

TE is a different animal - a good one needs to be tall, strong, good hands and athletic (ability to run routes) and needs to be aggressive enough to like to block. A good TE is similar to a RB who likes to block and catch balls - main difference is that he needs to have about 50 more lbs and love to block for others.

Right now that would be more of a luxury than a real need

Jan 25, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s ]

since we are so loaded at WR.

Re: Right now that would be more of a luxury than a real need

Jan 25, 2019, 1:38 PM

With our current level of recruiting at WR, we can only count on them being in orange for 3 seasons.

That means more top WRs are always a need.

Not necessarily

Jan 25, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Right now that would be more of a luxury than a real need ]

A decent blocking TE is of the utmost importance for this offense. Garrett Williams is the unsung hero of this team

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were talking about a pass catching TE though

Jan 25, 2019, 3:44 PM

like Leggett, who was not a great blocker.

Re: We were talking about a pass catching TE though

Jan 28, 2019, 10:24 PM

true

Jan 25, 2019, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Right now that would be more of a luxury than a real need ]

We will play a lot more 10 personnel due to the WR bodies we have. Although, Lay can change that to some degree and Gilbert would blow it out of the water with the mismatch he can create.

Make no mistake though, like this year in the playoffs our OL next year will be good enough to run 10 personnel.

Jan 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

10 personnel is OK by me, but I think our offense is more dangerous with 11 personnel, provided we have a good all-round TE. I don't think we'd do badly with 21 or 12 personnel, either. I'm good with any of it, given the players to fit the positions. Heck, 22 works if we have the RBs and TEs.

Jan 25, 2019, 5:58 PM

Playing 10 personnel with the receivers we have basically forces defenses to play in dime or get crushed through the air (the probably still will anyways), which should lighten the box and make it easier to run.

Jan 25, 2019, 6:02 PM

True, but given the talent at TE, the ability to run the ball to the extent that it crushes the will to compete creates circumstances where the game is won when we get off the bus.

Arik Gilbert, please!!***

Jan 25, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I’m hoping for some high quality TE’s ]

Yes,

Jan 25, 2019, 6:25 PM

yes it is!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic