Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just rewatched the game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Just rewatched the game...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:26 PM

You’re about to call me crazy, but I just rewatched the game, and we either win 13-10 or lose 10-9 if the first interception doesn’t fall right into the DT’s hands. That would have just been an incompletion and 3 and 1. We picked up every 3rd and short that game, so I think we get the first down. We would be in FG range so we either score a TD or FG. I think that’s the last either team would score the way the defenses were playing.

The score looked worse than it actually was. They killed the field position game early, and we survived 10-3. Then we were actually getting into a groove offensively when that 1st int happened. Our D made a few stops to get it to 4th and 1, and Harris makes a great play to jump over the line after we blew their line up to pick up the first down, and they eventually score. Then we all know what happened on our next play. After that, out O was forced to be predictable and throw.

Dabo is right about championship football being about a few plays. They made 3 more than us. The 2 ints and Harris’s 4th and 1 conversion. We had dropped passes, and couldn’t get the 4th and 1 stop. I think we play again we could win.

I’m proud of this team and think we are right back next year. Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe that.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:32 PM

1) With the way we were (not) moving the ball, we almost certainly weren't going to score a TD there.

2) Spence was good on his two kicks, but was too unreliable on the season to count that FG as a gimme. That possession could have easily been empty even without the INT

3) With the pressure they were getting on Bryant and the throws he was making into traffic, it was just a matter of time before we turned the ball over. It ended up being an INT from him getting his arm hit, but it could've been a sack fumble, or a tipped ball INT like the one that went for the pick 6 later.

4) If the game was closer Bama might've tried a little harder to score in the last 20 minutes of the game. I doubt we could've held them to 10 if they needed more points. Our defense was good, but they were still moving the ball a little on us earlier in the game when it was still in doubt.

5) They were just flat out better than us. If we had won that game it would've been a total fluke.

Re: I don't believe that.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:40 PM

1. We were moving the ball on that drive. I understand we struggled all night, which is why I said we wouldn’t score after that.

2. Yes, but he had already made 2 so it could also be a made FG... I guess I should have said it could have ended 10-6 as well.

3. This is a garbage statement. His two picks were both on tipped balls.

4. They tried hard all night to score and started from their own 50 most of the night. All their scores started in their territory.

5. Yes they were which is why they won 24-6. My observation is that if that ball doesn’t go right to the DT the outcome isn’t as bad in my opinion.

Re: I don't believe that.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:57 PM [ in reply to I don't believe that. ]

Nailed it. Bama was playing focused football, they were going to win either way...

Tell'em coot...***

Jan 6, 2018, 6:04 AM [ in reply to I don't believe that. ]

Re: Just rewatched the game...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:33 PM

Most people are blaming Anchrum and ET for the interception, but I thought it was more due to KB not being able to feel the pressure and escape or toss it way. Yeah, that one play hurt quite a bit. It reminds me of the Cole Stoudt dirt pass in the 2014 FSU game.

He never sees (or feels) that blind side pressure like

Jan 4, 2018, 11:36 PM

Watson. That's the kind of play where it would look like DW4 was about to get crushed and i would yell at the TV and then at the last moment he would either take off or spin away and make the defender look silly. Bryant doesn't see those coming and usually gets crushed.

Re: He never sees (or feels) that blind side pressure like

Jan 5, 2018, 6:48 AM

What’s worse is that, in this particular case, he wasn’t being pressured from his blind side.

His pocket awareness is non-existent at times, and when he is able to elude the rush he continues to take occasional losses rather than throw the ball away.

Re: He never sees (or feels) that blind side pressure like

Jan 6, 2018, 3:16 AM

I've always said that just bc you label someone something like a QB or what ever, it doesn't mean they are in the sense of the word. KB would have been I think, a grand option QB on an option offensive team, but not so much so with our type of offense that we run that depends on arm accuracy as well as running ability.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re crazy.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:37 PM

That game wasn’t as close as the score made it seem. We didn’t even threaten to score a TD until the end of the game.

Contrary to Dabo’s statement, this game was decided on more than just a few plays. We were thoroughly dominated, similar to what happened against Alabama in 2008.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You’re crazy.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:45 PM

Yes, we were dominated on offense and field position, but our D played great with their backs against the wall all night. I’m saying that on that one drive we finally had something going. The turn of events after that 1st int is what made the game get out of hand. Without that int, it could have ended 10-6 and we’d just be talking about a great defensive battle. Or if we would have made the stop on 4th and 1.

Message was edited by: Eye4I

I agree that we seemed to move the ball a lot better

Jan 4, 2018, 11:49 PM

on that drive. I never understood why it took over two quarters for Scott and Elliott to try something different on offense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I didnt know we tried to do anything different... I kept...

Jan 5, 2018, 11:30 PM

waiting for some qb rollout-sprintouts but never saw one that i can recall. That was my only complaint about coaching and preparation. I don't think we had even practiced it because it did not look to be even a small component of our game plan. ...just my opinion

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Re: You’re crazy. ]

Saban knew that we didn't have a snow ball chance in H&LL in beating them with KB behind center. He started making plans for who was next after Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 9:04 AM [ in reply to You’re crazy. ]

> That game wasn’t as close as the score made it seem.
> We didn’t even threaten to score a TD until the end
> of the game.
>
> Contrary to Dabo’s statement, this game was decided
> on more than just a few plays. We were thoroughly
> dominated, similar to what happened against Alabama
> in 2008.

Could not agree more, but where many say the Clemson offense just had a bad game, I dis-agree!!! I think it is more factual that Clemson was not really an elite team on offense this year. I think it is more a case of Clemson over achieving this year. To be more specific, KB2 is not, and likely never will be a top tier quarterback, but using the run this year KB2 bailed Clemson out in many of their wins this year. It is a real shame that many blame KB2, when he played better all year than almost any knowledgeable fan knows. The truth hurts but Clemson was really not a playoff caliber team this year, especially on the offensive line. A team this year will not beat Bama running a first down, run it up the middle every time type team. Those players on the Alabama OL are huge, so you can not blow them off the ball. I saw KB2 play when he could hardly even walk against Syracuse. He sould have never even played a down in that game, and Clemson was lucky he did not get hurt badly in that game. I usually do not second guess Clemson coaches, but everybody who watched the Cuse game knows that was irresponsible when the QB could not run out of trouble, and the OL was weak all year. The good news is this really was a Clemson re-building year...they will be awesome. next year.

Jan 6, 2018, 3:22 AM

Plus 1 for your statement about us over achieving, and I believe that is bc of our defense mostly!!!

Jan 5, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to You’re crazy. ]

Not true at all we were never in the game in 2008. We could have been at least down 10-9 or up 13-10 those are facts. Would we have won maybe not but the reality it was a one score game that snowballed on us with the ints.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:45 PM [ in reply to You’re crazy. ]

I definitely think the game was closer than the score made it seem. Yes, our offense was dominated but our defense also controlled their offense, given the circumstances.
We threatened (and should've) scored a TD early in the second quarter with the missed PI call on Tee Higgins, we settled for a field goal.
Both of Alabama's interceptions came off lucky bounces too. They absolutely made those plays but in both scenarios the ball could've just as easily fallen incomplete.
They came out and beat us and deserved to win, but as a team I definitely don't think we were dominated.

Jan 6, 2018, 3:29 AM

That point can't be argued bc their defense aided in their scoring than any part of their offensive part of the game. That and their field position that helped them in keeping us pined back in their territory the entire game!!!

Jan 5, 2018, 12:26 AM

Crazy or obsessed for pain and sorrow, or both!!! ;)

Jan 6, 2018, 9:11 AM

I did the same thing and in my case probably crazy. I was at the game and wanted to see what things looked like from the TV perspective. It didn't look good either way.

Jan 5, 2018, 6:29 AM

I will say that the momentum in the stadium was changing. The crowd was in it for what seemed like the first time when we got the fumble. All momentum we had created was lost on the interception. With that said, we would have had to beat Bama at their own game since we couldn't air it out. Saban has proven that to be next to impossible. Go Tigers!

Jan 5, 2018, 8:35 AM

I've re-watched many games over the years...it never changed the outcome. Back when I worked...disabled...I would sometimes DVR a game, but somehow watching a recorded game is never the same. I also usually can't resist FF, even if I somehow avoided hearing the final score or who won, which would rarely happen.

Not crazy. Those that say you are don't understand

Jan 5, 2018, 9:07 AM

momentum. If we score on that drive, even if it's only a FG we have it. After that INT, we were done - Bama regained all of the momentum. Bama scored on offense once from that point on - after they got the ball deep in our territory. And it's not like their offense went in a shell in the 4th quarter. So there's no saying what would have happened.

While it's nice to think this,

Jan 5, 2018, 11:15 AM

It comes off as romanticized to me. As far as I can remember we got into our offensive groove once, and an INT ended it. Maybe twice. And while our defense surely kept us in the game and within striking distance of the lead for most of it, I think Bama would have been able to outlast us. They were simply more ready than us. It happens.

Jan 5, 2018, 9:10 PM

Could have been closer, but they were better. I'd say the difference was about the same as between us and auburn earlier in the year.

Saban was able to win game with tremendous emotion

Jan 5, 2018, 9:44 PM

and saving everything for the natl championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban was able to win game with tremendous emotion

Jan 5, 2018, 10:16 PM

Game was closer. Our defense did not give up 24 points. I'll hold them accountable for 10 of those.

The OC's, Streeter, and KB cost us that game. A winnable game, rebuilding year or not. Yes Bama's d was tenacious and looked more hungry than our offense. It's like our offensive plan was super conservative (see Auburn, second half Notre Dame, etc). They were going to wait on the d to get it done obviously. Dabo chewed them out after we got the fumble and went -5 and what happens? We get the fg, get the ball right back...and we start moving the ball right down the field!

Then KB decides to drop back 10 yards to survey the field. Well we had a wr open likely for a td which would've turned. Since he doesn't step up in the pocket the Bama defender gets around our RT and running back to deflect the ball for an int. Everything was fine and that would've been our biggest offensive play if KB just steps up in the pocket.

They scored on a play where they tackled two defenders(offensive PI), they knew they were not just going to run the ball in on us(see Saban livid late in game because they couldn't do anything without our o helping them).

Bama with 5 weeks you might as well give them our play call sheet. You have to innovate. Our offense was way too cocky for this game. Cain out there talking trash, dropping balls. Relying on ETN to carry the load, block, return kicks as a true freshman. This game is more on our offensive coaches than anyone.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:58 PM

You have a stronger stomach than me! I can’t bring myself to watch that game again. Was too painful.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I somewhat agree, however our O-line got overwhelmed

Jan 6, 2018, 5:15 AM

by what Alabama was scheming on defense. I am sure the extra staff Saban hired probably schemed our whole play book from film from the entire year. Pruitt almost seemed to know what plays we were going to run by our formations.

And that pass interference no-call from our first field goal, and the horse-collar call were costly in addition to those turnovers.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic