Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I would love to see our 6'5 220lb QB get under center and fall forward for a yard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I would love to see our 6'5 220lb QB get under center and fall forward for a yard

Dec 1, 2019, 11:15 AM

I can't remember a single time Clemson has ran the QB sneak under center to get a yard during Dabo's tenure. He's ran his QB to get a yard in shotgun formation plenty, and I will never know why. I will never forget Norton's snap over Watson's head against #1 FSU in 2014 while we were at the half-yard line. The Lakip missed fg was just the cherry on top of how stupid that play was. I am always baffled by the play calling in 3rd-and-1 or 4th-and-1.

Fact: the QB sneak under center to get a yard or less is the most successful play in football history. Multiple studies have been done, and it has a 70-90% success rate based on the data studied. QB sneak would be the only play I run in these down and distance situations b/c IT WORKS!!

Here's an article about the studies:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/11/15/18096707/quarterback-sneak-short-yardage-play-calling-analysis

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our short yardage offense isn't all that great, for sure.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:21 AM

For a while there we did the jumbo package, what happened to that? Give ETN an 300 lb lead blocker and nobody is going to stop him.

But you are right, the QB sneak (under center, which is really the only true way to do it) is the easiest 1 yard play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our short yardage offense isn't all that great, for sure.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:31 AM

Do the QB sneak but employ the jumbo package to push the QB in from behind - then I am reasonably sure that we can get 1/2 yard whenever we need it!

Dec 1, 2019, 3:18 PM

That's exactly what I was calling for when Scott/Elliot decided to get "cute" a la Chad Morris.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Our short yardage offense isn't all that great, for sure. ]

Yeah, lets intentionally run a 300 lb lineman into Trevor. And yall talj about Saban being irresponsible with Tua.

I personally liked the TD later from short yardage, when TL

Dec 1, 2019, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Our short yardage offense isn't all that great, for sure. ]

ran the option to the right and pitched to ETN. When you have the fasted guy on the field, why run him up the middle. Get him outside to take advantage of his speed!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sigh. we really struggle to score points and win games.***

Dec 1, 2019, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Our short yardage offense isn't all that great, for sure. ]

I agree, this doesn't matter when we are playing cupcakes

Dec 1, 2019, 12:05 PM

like SCAR. But it's frustrating, and it will matter against tougher competition...

and any idiot can see that's the point people are making.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand your childish frustration with not scoring one time

Dec 1, 2019, 2:43 PM

in short yardage, but I would much rather be an adult and look at the bigger picture. I'm pretty sure we are every bit as good as or better on offense than we were last year, when we trounced every team of "tougher competition" we played. Look, I posted yesterday that I wasnt overly pleased with the OL play against the Gamecocks, but I'm not so much of an immature peabrain that I think we need to change the way we run our offense because of it. We are and have been HIGHLY successful running this exact same offense since Morris left. I'm okay with it. The staff will look at film and diagnose who didn't do their job, and they will hone in on it. But I can assure you they arent going to look towards tigernet for the answer to that ONE possession, and especially not to those who crawl out of their caves to find negatives in a 5 touchdown butt kicking and a highly successful undefeated season.

um, nobody is talking about completely changing the

Dec 1, 2019, 3:11 PM

offense. This exact offense has used different (more fundamentally sound) short yardage strategies as recently as earlier this year. All we are saying is the shotgun approach fails more often than it succeeds, and is very unlikely to work when it matters.

it normally works when it matters. what are you talking about?

Dec 1, 2019, 4:01 PM

The offense has been highly successful in every situation. Over the last 5 years we have been one of the most consistent teams in the country in basically every phase of the offense. We've won 2 if the last 3 national championships running the offense the way we do, and there is simply no need for us to change anything about it based on one series where we failed at getting a TD from short yardage. Nobody scores every single time from inside a yard or two. Nobody. Next time we're down there, I expect either Travis Ettienne or a big man in the jumbo package to tote it in for the score. Just like we normally do. No need to change anything but execution. Saying "very unlikely" to work shows how little you've been paying attention. The shotgun does NOT fail more than it succeeds. Thats just a silly statement.

What? Why in the world would you take your franchise

Dec 1, 2019, 11:34 AM

player and put him at risk for a simple one yard gain when you have ETN, Higgins, Ross, etc?

And I won't even get into the zany offensive stats we are producing.

That game on the line in the playoffs, maybe.

But against a schedule where we have beat the brains out of people, seems silly. The one yard first down ain't worth the risk.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean like Tom Brady. A staple of the NE short yardage run game***

Dec 1, 2019, 11:38 AM

So, how did you feel about TL running on back-to-back plays in the 4th?***

Dec 1, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to What? Why in the world would you take your franchise ]

agreed, not sure why he was in there or why we were running

Dec 1, 2019, 11:43 AM

those plays at that point of the game.

Re: agreed, not sure why he was in there or why we were running

Dec 1, 2019, 11:46 AM

Listen to Tony Elliots interview and He will tell you why..

exactly***

Dec 1, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to So, how did you feel about TL running on back-to-back plays in the 4th?*** ]

I assume you've been watching the games this year...

Dec 1, 2019, 1:51 PM [ in reply to What? Why in the world would you take your franchise ]

... we put our QB at risk unnecessarily all the time.

At least with a sneak it would have a higher chance of success and lower chance of injury. But I agree, don't do it if the game is in hand.

(also, obvious sarcasm)

Message was edited by: CharlestonTom®

we are not having ANY trouble with success.

Dec 1, 2019, 2:20 PM

Sorry to rain on your bitchnmoan parade.

Then I’m guessing you felt it was even more idiotic

Dec 1, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to What? Why in the world would you take your franchise ]

to run Trevor multiple times yesterday when we were up by four touchdowns in the third quarter. Because I sure did.

Tons of risk and zero reward.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What? Why in the world would you take your franchise

Dec 2, 2019, 2:19 AM [ in reply to What? Why in the world would you take your franchise ]

I dont know if I have ever seen a QB injured on a QB sneak.

Re: I would love to see our 6'5 220lb QB get under center and fall forward for a yard

Dec 1, 2019, 11:44 AM

So Dabo Has an incredible record ! The team is national Champions and 12 and 0 on the year.
They team has a 27 game winning streak.
And your are griping about You QB sneaks and a play that from 6 years ago...
You are just a miserable fan!

Not cashing in on 3rd-and- goal and 4th-and-goal from the one is always gripe worthy***

Dec 1, 2019, 11:47 AM

YeP..pizzzed me off yesterday that Coot D stopped us several times at 1 foot line!

Dec 1, 2019, 11:59 AM

Saying..this can't stand OR we'll get beat in CFP play!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the sky is falling!!!***

Dec 1, 2019, 2:45 PM

Re: I would love to see our 6'5 220lb QB get under center and fall forward for a yard

Dec 1, 2019, 2:05 PM

In Lapik's defense, he was probably high.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too funny! You win the conversation***

Dec 1, 2019, 3:22 PM

Dec 1, 2019, 6:25 PM

I agree 100%. When I first saw Trevor lineup under center I thought “great” they’re going to go for the QB sneak, which is successful almost 100% of the time. I was pretty frustrate when I saw him drop back into the shotgun, and then of course the rest is history, they never got the touchdown.
To me that is a frustration with this offense that they never run a quarterback sneak and everybody knows it’s extremely successful. They need to add that to the playbook for when that one yard touchdown is really important.

Dec 1, 2019, 6:34 PM

Actually, the ideal qb for the sneak is a small qb.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic