Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a real baseball follower, but have a question about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,074

Not a real baseball follower, but have a question about

Mar 14, 2019, 7:30 AM

'small ball'. In the games I have watched, I haven't really seen the bunt used very often (or not at all). When Byrd came up with Davidson on 1st, it seemed like the perfect bunting situation, but Byrd flew out, and Davidson was later picked off stealing 2nd. I just found that to be odd, but am in no way critical of Lee's choice of play calling. I'm really just curious if anyone else thinks that the days of small ball are gone, or if I just haven't watched closely enough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a real baseball follower, but have a question about

Mar 14, 2019, 8:17 AM

I agree with the commentator from the game yesterday. Byrd was at bat
and Costal had the shift on. The third baseman was playing short and the rest
were shifted toward first. If Byrd bunts down the third base line he would
have had an almost sure hit but he flew out.

Mar 14, 2019, 8:25 AM

Maybe Byrd is terrible at bunting?

Bunting well is hard

Mar 14, 2019, 8:29 AM

Byrd is so subject to hit a gapper or a bomb which would both score Davidson from first. Plus Byrd is seeing the ball very well right now. It’s not worth giving up the out

Mar 14, 2019, 9:07 AM

This.

Byrd has as hot of a bat right now as anyone on the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 9:18 AM

Even last night he flew out twice to LF but he went with the pitch which was still a good sign

Mar 14, 2019, 10:04 AM

If you watch baseball outside of Clemson, you will see more of the same.

Baseball has always been a numbers game.

The difference now is that people are looking at the numbers before they make decisions instead of just "doing what we are supposed to do" and then checking stats after.

The numbers show that bunting a guy from first to second with no outs reduces the offense's chance to score.

This statement becomes more true with guys at the plate who have the ability to hit doubles and home runs.

Also without numbers being involved, if the pitcher couldn't get out the first batter of the inning, why do so many people think it makes sense to let him get the next batter out on purpose?

Mar 14, 2019, 7:18 PM

It’s called analytics nobody bunts anymore unless they are playing old school style of baseball. Now it’s all HR’s and stealing bases. They don’t wanna bunt anymore bc it’s basiclly conceding an out and they think the odds are that player “X” will get a hit in that situation eventually then just giving up and out automatically. It’s all about analytics now it drives me nuts. I’m old school lead off walk then bunt him over and hit him in. Doesn’t happen anymore in 2019. Monte is a big inning, crooked number kind of guy he wants to win with a big inning or two not several 1 run innings. Trust me I would love to see Jordan Greene bunt someone over then have another pop out bc that’s basically all he does is fly out. Also whoever said that bunting is “hard” didn’t play college baseball at Clemson bc if you did you wouldn’t say that. Bunting isn’t hard if your good enough to play baseball at Clemson. It may be hard if your a rec league player your entire life but not for the primer college athelets that make it to Clemson. Ok done rant over with ??.

Mar 14, 2019, 7:21 PM

Bunting is all about hand to eye coordination. You just literally “catch” the bat head to the ball while making sure you keep the bat parallel to the ground. Trust me I did it all the time being the coaches favorite bunt guy bc I couldn’t hit for sticks!

^^^could not have said it better

Mar 14, 2019, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Not a real baseball follower, but have a question about ]

Baseball is being ruined by “Money Ball” analytics. It has completely changed the game. A D1 player at a school like Clemson and especially a kid like Greene, should be able to lay down a bunt w no issues. It should not be hard for this level of player but it has become hard as the Showcase Teams and PG teams they come from don’t even play small ball anymore.

Re: ^^^could not have said it better

Mar 14, 2019, 8:51 PM

You would think that at some point playing baseball through middle school & High school you would learn how to bunt. No way kids in middle school are hitting bombs on a consistent basis. So you would think that atleast some teams especially ones coached by 40+ yr old men that someone is playing small ball!! I hope so bc it is driving me absolutely insane watching us strike out and not even swinging sometimes I find it insanely alarming how often our guys are just striking out with the bat on the shoulder. Drives me nuts.

Funny you say that...

Mar 14, 2019, 9:30 PM

My kid plays for an Elite 14u Travel Ball Team in the Charlotte area and they play small ball all the time. The team is coached by a former St Louis Cardinal that played in the 80’s. He preaches bunting. All 12 kids can bunt perfect. The phrase “perfect or foul” is preached all the time. Meaning bunt so close to the foul line it is perfect or foul. They no lie spend no less than 30 min at every practice covering this.

With all that said, his Middle School coach refuses to bunt.

Mar 15, 2019, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Not a real baseball follower, but have a question about ]

coastal plays old school small ball

Mar 14, 2019, 8:54 PM

Thanks for the great input. I guess I haven't followed bball closely enough over the years to notice the change from small ball. Jack used to play a lot of small ball, and it finally caught up with him I guess. Lee has the big hitters that can crush the ball and fun to watch.

That said, I noticed Coastal still used the bunt often, and it worked sometimes. They're a pretty solid team IMO, but I guess they will have trouble when they meet up with teams like CLEMSON and all the power hitters.

Anyway, thanks again. That explains a lot.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,074
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic