Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Starting QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Starting QB

Feb 17, 2014, 10:04 AM

I really think Cole Stoudt will start next season, but Every. Single. One. Of the articles I've read on ESPN or Rivals says that DeShawn Watson will. Is he really that good? Good enough to beat out a redshirt senior, and an extremely talented redshirt Sophmore? The negative of Stoudt starting is that he is a one year guy, and he can't help us after this season, but if he is good enough to take the program to the top, I don't care. I just don't see Watson being able to learn the offense to the extent that Stoudt has or develope the chemistry that he has with recievers. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're just trying to find the next Manzel/Winston

Feb 17, 2014, 10:06 AM

Watson very well might be that good but both Manzel and Winsotn took a RS year for a reason. No matter how good a QB is in HS they all need to add weight and learn to adjust to the speed and talent of the college game. I expect Watson to take a RS and really show us what he can do in 2015.

Spring should be fun no doubt!***

Feb 17, 2014, 10:06 AM

Not a good idea to start Watson.

Feb 17, 2014, 10:33 AM

With an inexperineced QB and new inexperinced WRs it will not be good for the team. Cole or Kelly with Veterans Mike Williams and Peake and Hopper and Humphries sounds better. Chemistry is everything, they know the offense.

Re: Not a good idea to start Watson.

Feb 17, 2014, 10:37 AM

Sorry but ill take talent over experience everutime. Its gonna be kelly or waston.

Re: Not a good idea to start Watson.

Feb 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

Stoudt has talent! He is a better pocket passer than Boyd, he just isn't big enough to play the RB position that Tajh did. Dye and Gallman will make that a non factor.

How do you know Stoudt is a better pocket passer….

Feb 17, 2014, 10:40 AM

when all he has done is play in mop up time.? I think Stoudt can have a good year if he wins the starting job, but he is not on the level of Tajh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you know Stoudt is a better pocket passer….

Feb 17, 2014, 10:43 AM

Practice reports. Morris said last spring that he was, and he quote "Barely" beat out Boyd for the starting job in 2011. His gameday is practice. He has been getting better for 4 years, and he knows the offense. Plus his football IQ is great.

Feb 17, 2014, 1:05 PM

Stoudt also came in the game 3 years ago against BC when Boyd hurt his hip because he didn't have his hip pads on. The game was in doubt and Cole lead us down the field for a TD to give us breathing room if I remember correctly. Definitely wasn't mop up duty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Feb 17, 2014, 10:54 AM [ in reply to How do you know Stoudt is a better pocket passer…. ]

Well it seems as if he never got a chance to prove himself
Think about it, last year we would have 40 points on the board, way ahead in the 4th quarter and Tajh would still in there playing.. Pissed me off everytime.

95% is good even with no defense on the field****

Feb 17, 2014, 1:35 PM [ in reply to How do you know Stoudt is a better pocket passer…. ]

Unless he outshines Stoudt and Kelley in spring and fall.***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:05 AM [ in reply to Not a good idea to start Watson. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you. I would actually be pretty shocked if

Feb 17, 2014, 10:37 AM

Watson came in and started, even with the spring practice experience. Plus, I don't think the mindset of the coaching staff is to give up a whole year to let Watson develop.

They know more about Deshaun Watson than they do...

Feb 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

about our returning QB's. It's a combination of wanting another Manziel/Winston and lazy journalism.

Watson is very talented, however it's very rare that a true freshman QB starts. I think we're gonna start off with a 2 QB system. But I don't care who gets the starting job, as long as they play hard and get wins.

Re: They know more about Deshaun Watson than they do...

Feb 17, 2014, 10:46 AM

I know that's what they want but we have to be patient. we can't afford to get him hurt. But if we get our running game back to an A+ we will not need Watson right now

Feb 17, 2014, 11:30 AM

Rivals, ESPN, Scout, etc., are businesses. They tout the kids they've been rating very highly every year. If you are not one of "their highly rated guys" you never will be.

Also, Clemsonguru makes a great point. Why the ridiculous use of the "mop up time" line that's always attached to Stoudt. I watch a hell of a lot of college football and don't see many #2s getting anything different. That same line is never used by Kelly fans..... uh, when did he play? Stoudt HAS played more than mop up time and done very well.

Back to Clemsonguru's point. No fan gets to watch practice every day. Nor do Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc. It would appear obvious to me that Stoudt is earning his respect from coaches and teammates in practice. Going against one of the top defenses in the country every day. If Kelly was showing up Stoudt in practice, he would have been playing ahead of Stoudt.

Coaches love practice because that is where THEY evalutate talent and make decisions. They love the extra practices that come with bowl games because they get extra looks at next years talent.

The scouting services will always tout the guys THEY give high ratings to. They are not experts, they are writers who pretty much give ratings based on who got offers from who. In the end, no matter how they got them, they have nothing to do with the coaching evaluations at practice.

If I recall, Stoudt was injured as a HS junior which did not help his ratings. All he does is perform, and obviously he is not affected negatively by the lack of respect. Maybe it's what drives him.

Feb 17, 2014, 12:10 PM

Remember Kelly tore his ACL during spring the spring. I see it as the coaches were confident enough in Stoudt and not wanting to put Kelly in any additional situations that would re-injure his ACL. Kelly is a gamer and has the attitude to be a leader. I think he pushes Stoudt and may even pass him up during the spring. From what I was reading last year is he may have come out of the spring as #2 guy if not for the injury. Only the coaches know and it's going to be a great season. If Watson is good enough to take over the starting position then it's going to be a special year. I thing talent alone will not be enough for the coaches to let the inexperience take the field. If he does start then he shows not only a great talent but also experience beyond his years. Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2014, 3:39 PM

with all due respect to bloodrunsorange, that makes no sense at all, even if what you say is true that Kelly was in position to take the #2 spot in spring (which is a bit of a stretch. Yes he had ONE nice drive before hurting his knee, but everyone seems to overlook Cole at every chance. All he did that day was set an all-time Clemson spring game record with 300+ yds and 4 TDs in 2 qtrs!)

No matter what he does, setting spring game records, single game completion records, 80% comp. last season, nearly 75% for his career, 2nd all-time highest passing rating in Clemson history (over 100 pass attempts) he continually gets over looked.

But my point is IF they were protecting Kelly by playing Stoudt ahead of him, WHY PLAY HIM AT ALL IN THE END OF LAST YEARS GAMES? AND WHY LET HIM RUN THE BALL SO MANY TIMES? They were not protecting him. If in their minds, if he was equal to or ahead of Cole, he would have been the first guy in.

I agree with you. When has Stoudt ever come in and NOT done

Feb 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

a great job. If he gets beaten out, we are in GREAT shape.

I attribute their view of this issue...

Feb 17, 2014, 12:43 PM

as being skewed by the fact that Winston was a Heisman and MNC winner. I'm not sure if that's ever happened to a first year starting freshman before but I'd say the likelihood of it happening again is zilch.

I don't think Deshawn will be ready to handle this offense in such a short time. I believe ultimately Chad Kelly will become our starter. I don't think a clear leader will be announced before the end of preseason practice either.

FSU didn't have a QB battle to deal with. They were loaded with talent at almost every position and able to conceal any deficiency they had enough to make Winston look like a world beater.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur 110%; it's Stoudt to "start", but all bets are off

Feb 17, 2014, 1:35 PM

then IF he gets slaughtered at UGa..and then it's Kelley imo..and then Watson, but I prefer a RS with him if all possible for 3 years out of 5.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I concur 110%; it's Stoudt to "start", but all bets are off

Feb 17, 2014, 9:28 PM

so u are suggesting that they pick Cole after seeing him play for 3 yrs, 4 spring games, and all of those practices.......... If they choose him, he will have to have been a clear winner due to him being a one yr guy....

He gets his first start against SEC opponent, on the road, with at least 2 new WRs (0 of which were "go to" guys last year, they're gone), new #1 RB, 3 new OL-men..... and they lose......

You're ready to dump him? LOL... that is funny. So many of the posters here have that scenario etched in stone. Lose first one and give the job to the young guns. Do you realize IF you go 2-2 (lose to GA, and Nat. Champ FSU), you can still have a 3rd straight 11 win season!

This team may surprise everyone (not me) and beat GA, but even it they don't, in this re-loading yr, it could take a few weeks to find a stride. I'm more concerned with how good they will be in October and Novemeber. We've become a tad spoiled the last 3 yrs. We forget that even as good as we've been there were some really bad games in there. Hell half the posters on were pretty hard on Tajh, and he was pretty darn special.

Agree***

Feb 17, 2014, 1:37 PM

Re: Agree***

Feb 17, 2014, 9:30 PM

I think Stoudt and Kelly have put in the time, but the guy who gives Clemson the best chance to be successful will start.

It sounds like Watson has the most potential, but you have to earn trust and gain experience.

It's a nice problem to have.

I'm also glad to see the football program has depth now. (even with the loss of talent like Watkins and Bryant and the experience of Boyd)

No chance watson starts***

Feb 17, 2014, 9:49 PM

Re: Starting QB

Feb 17, 2014, 10:05 PM

DW needs to add 20lbs and learn the play book, he needs the redshirt year. Cole and Swagwill

Re: Re: Starting QB

Feb 17, 2014, 10:05 PM

Will be just fine leading the team!

Watson has a decent chance at starting...

Feb 18, 2014, 9:15 AM

It may not be game 1, but he's the most talented QB on our roster.

Terrelle Pryor (Big 10 Freshman of the Year/ let team to Fiesta Bowl), Tyrod Taylor (ACC Champion/Orange Bowl), and RG III (nearly 3,000 total yards, 28 total TDs, and just 3 INTs) have all showed that mobile QBs can come in and be successful right away. There is a pretty long list of other true freshman QBs who have played right away, and have been pretty good.

High school offenses are becoming more and more similar to college offenses, so the transition isn't as tough, especially for players who come in during the Spring. I would be very surprised if Watson redshirts this year. Even if he's not the starter this year, he will get game-time in mop up duty.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic