Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's "agenda," explained (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,946

ESPN's "agenda," explained (long)

Oct 26, 2015, 8:55 AM

Hear me out...

Consider the following:

ESPN has their own agenda. Clemson is the target. But it's not what you think it is. A strong Clemson is good for ESPN, and is ultimately good for college football.

We have arguably the most passionate fanbase in the country
Our athletic department is 100% committed to football financially
We are a reputable program academically and our football graduation rate is always top 5
We have a beautiful & unique campus, stadium, and town

but above all else...

The general football-watching public CARES about Clemson. Obviously our fans care. I'm willing to bet we had more fans in an opponent's stadium...1000 miles from us! We have fans who CARE what the talking heads say throughout the week. We get pissed off when a pundit snubs us or is a constant naysayer. This is good for ESPN because it gets them hits, attention, and as a result, $$$

Our fans and alumni are 110% invested. Outsiders who aren't ignorant tend to respect our program, as well as Dabo and everything he stands for. And then we have the other 80% of the audience who just LOOOOVES to see us fail. The-Word-That-Shall-Not-be-Uttered is catchy to haters, folks...it's just another aspect that makes Clemson so incredibly marketable on so many different levels.

Look at the Yankees. Or the Cowboys. Or Notre Dame. Huge following because of their popularity and recognizable image. But an even bigger audience comes from outside the fanbase, from those who love to hate. Frankly, Clemson has been easy to pick on in the recent era of ESPN's total domination of sports. The network has used that to their advantage on both sides by catering to the public and throwing us under the bus, and also by getting Clemson fans all stirred up and invested in what ESPN has to say.

Well....know what else is extremely marketable?

A good underdog story.

ESPN is guilty of ARSON. They have fueled a FIRE under this sleeping goldmine of a football program, and are getting ready to reap the fruits of their labor. They have beat us down AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN, just as V kept Evey imprisoned for weeks to test her loyalty in V for Vendetta. There is an ulterior motive here.

There is a method to this madness. They have created a monster.

They have the world SO convinced that we are overrated and can't win the big games...
...and don't belong in the top 10
...and only have a cheerleader coach with a silly name
...and play in a weak conference
...and haven't been tested
...and whatever the hail else they wanna say about us that they have spawned the ultimate Cinderella story. A small town College from the little ACC with uncommon colors and an unmistakable image...in the playoffs with big-bad Alabama, trendy Big 12 team, and major contender #3. Many will say we shouldn't be in, even with 0 losses.

They have our players hungry and focused, and every week they have us on on "upset watch" and every time a pundit tweets a Clemson-less top 4, they are feeding us bulletin-board material that keeps our players from getting complacent. They want our fans, players, and coaches to THINK they (ESPN) doesn't believe in us.

We are a sleeping giant waiting to awaken. ESPN knows this. It's what they want.

Whether it's this year, next year, or another year soon, Dabo will hoist the CFP trophy and WE will be the new standard of what excellence in college football really is. And who will be spewing all the praise and publicity? Our friends at ESPN, who, like Serverus Snape or V, had our backs all along.

All the world's a stage, my friends

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only Danny Kannel knows the real Clemson

Oct 26, 2015, 8:59 AM

He was QB @ FSU

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a bad theory!

Oct 26, 2015, 9:10 AM

You don't have a bad theory sir! The bottomline to the talking heads at ESPN is cash, and that is the same a money Yogi Barra said! They are fixated on the almighty dollar, just like in 81, they know at the end of the day an underdog CLEMSON does them good!

I am not predicting we win it all, but we have a chance and control our own destiny, if we win out and go undefeated it will not bring any credibility if there is a one loss team and there is probably going to be two teams with one loss!

Thanks!***

Oct 26, 2015, 1:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What the media seeks to build up, they'll also tear down******

Oct 26, 2015, 9:24 AM

Well, wish'em good luck... Clemson isn't going anywhere

Oct 26, 2015, 10:42 AM

but up....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN's "agenda," explained (long)

Oct 26, 2015, 11:04 AM

I have always thought a big part of it is Clemson's reputation as an idealogically neutral (some would even say conservative) institution of higher learning. This is truly rare in the modern USA. It is also very much in opposition to Disney's leftist secular agenda. There are not many middle-right media companies, and none of them are effectively competing with ESPN in the sports market segment.

P&R--->... Thanks. ESPiN's agenda is about money, not

Oct 26, 2015, 1:48 PM

politics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting analysis, but I'm not sure...

Oct 26, 2015, 2:28 PM

...ESPN is smart enough and has the CPU cycles to conspire at that level for an individual team. I believe it's more ESPN truly believes their own spin not just about Clemson, but all of the teams in the FBS. All teams have a "history" so to speak, a unique image that ESPN runs with from year to year to year.

Think of the spin ESPN gives ND, USoCal, Ohio St, Michigan, etc etc...it's the same every year, no matter the reality on the ground. Clemson has an image, and really all they know to do is run with it.

ESPN wasn't around back in '81 so it really doesn't matter what we did back then. The only way to radically change the image and the associated year to year spin is win a national championship or 2 or 3 and follow up with year in and year out consistent top 10 finishes FOREVER.

No doubt they love an underdog story and no doubt they are excited to see this "good guy" program excel. They know more people will want to identify with a highly successful "good guy" program and thus attract larger audiences, which is ultimately their only aim.

Dabo is succeeding despite how ESPN casts this team. What I believe is really happening is WE are now driving what ESPN says and how they say it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's much simpler....

Oct 26, 2015, 2:49 PM

I think the ACC is the target, not Clemson per se. Consider the following

Bullet points:

1. ESPN is heavily invested financially in the SEC

2. Outside of the state of Texas, the only major conference that has teams located in SEC territory is the ACC. Here the two conferences compete for both eyeballs and recruits. (Inside Texas are many Big XII teams, also an ESPN target BTW.)

3. The ACC has a weak and ineffective commissioner.

4. If the conference left out of the playoff system is mostly ACC (or Big XII), it is a huge recruiting advantage. (Which makes it harder to make the playoffs. Which makes it a greater recruiting advantage. Repeat ad infinitum.)

(Hopefully, this hasn't veered off into conspiracy theory territory. I really do think the above is a possibility)

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,946
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic