Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did our offensive line get too much blame for the Bama loss?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Did our offensive line get too much blame for the Bama loss?

Jan 9, 2018, 9:35 AM

Watching the game last night, in the first half it appeared Bama's offensive line wasn't up to the task of moving the ball on Georgia. Georgia's defense looked dominant. Meanwhile, Georgia's offensive line looked superior after they came out throwing the ball all over the place in the first half.

Bama puts in a QB that can make every throw on the field and poof, their offensive line issues were gone. The Bama QB suddenly had all day to find open receivers and the running backs had room to run.

This year, we had basically the same line that beat Bama in the championship game last year. Like last year, they slowed our run game and dared us to throw it and unlike last year, we couldn't do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. We handcuffed ourselves with a 1 dimensional offense***

Jan 9, 2018, 9:42 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did our offensive line get too much blame for the Bama loss?

Jan 9, 2018, 9:42 AM

People need to understand that bama emptied the tank against us. They were running on fumes last night

Jan 9, 2018, 9:45 AM

I wouldn't say all the offensive line issues were gone. Tua made some great scramble plays when the pocket collapsed, something Hurts was good at but seemed hesitant as the game went on and tried to force throws instead of taking off. Plus the sack in OT.

But I do agree that adding in a QB that was effective throwing the ball forced UGA to not bring the house and stack the box on every play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 1:38 PM

Agree with Tiggerz04. Bama’s offensive line issues were never gone. Tua just bought them more time and made them look not as horrible.

You mean the qb that threw an int right off the bat?

Jan 9, 2018, 9:45 AM

I'm sure at that point the hindsighters were calling saban an idiot.

20 mins later he is a genius. Again.

Sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Reminds of what happened when we...

Jan 9, 2018, 9:47 AM

wee ranked something like 5th in the nation with Woody Dantzelr and we went into FSU 3 point underdogs. They just loaded the line because Woody didn't throw the ball that well overall. I think we lost something like 48-10. We made it so easy on Bama. It was similar. They should bunched everyone in there. Ironically, Georgia decided to play into Bama's strengths midway through the 3rd quarter on. That type of offense doesn't work unless you're playing lesser talent imo.

FSU was way more talented than us back in 2000...

Jan 9, 2018, 2:08 PM

That’s why we lost that game, not because of Woody’s passing ability. In fact when teams stacked the box against Woody, he would make them pay facing man coverage

They were more talented.

Jan 10, 2018, 1:52 AM

That O only works vs less talented teams.

I disagree with a lot of that

Jan 9, 2018, 10:03 AM

1. Hurts was given plenty of time to throw and a decent pocket, but he got happy feet too much and would roll out. Tua played behind the same OL, remember the play immediately before the game winning TD pass?

2. Fromm made some good throws, but their run game was what separated them from Clemson's performance...and that came from the OL. How many 3rd and long conversions did UGA make by running the ball in the first half?

3. There was a considerable difference in effort and emotion from the Bama defense in our game to last night. They unleashed a whole year's worth of frustration on us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Georgia came out throwing it all over the place. They threw

Jan 9, 2018, 10:25 AM

on first and second down often. They threw it when they were backed up to their on goal line and it was not expected. That opened up their running game, which obviously has difference makers. In the second half, they got a bit conservative, didn't throw as much on first down and struggled to run the ball and score. Their only score of the second half was an 80 TD pass.

Georgia threw the ball their first 7 plays of the game. They threw it 23 times in the first half and scored 13 points. They threw it only 9 times in the second half, one of which was the 80 yard TD.

It was definitely the throwing that loosened the Bama defense up in the first half. In the second half, they got away from it and weren't able to run the ball successfully and they lost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah...They were picking up 3 and 5s running it up the gut

Jan 9, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to I disagree with a lot of that ]

with Sony...we don't have a back that could do all the things he did

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Jan 9, 2018, 10:07 AM

!

Jan 9, 2018, 10:08 AM

I would not call it blame...I'd call it as being a team weakness all year though. Clemson had an elite defense, good running backs, but was not elite on the OL, which was not their fault. Clemson was lacking in experience and talent on the OL. Field goal kicker was also a weakness. When facing average defenses KB2 had the mobility to negate the fact that the OL could not protect the QB pocket. Facing an elite defense the pocket would collapse quickly, which proved too much to overcome when the receivers could not get open that quick. I do not know why anyone looks for someone to blame. If anything Clemson over-achieved this year. Considering how much talent was lost from the previous season, the fact that Clemson even made the playoffs was amazing. I would only seek blame if I thought the effort was lacking...I do not think that was the case here.

The oline was loaded with experienced 4 and 5 star players...

Jan 9, 2018, 2:05 PM

We have an oline coach that doesn’t teach fundamentals or physicality

By what metric are you measuring the amount of blame?

Jan 9, 2018, 10:11 AM

I think they got just the right amount, if it's equal to KB and coordinators. Tide played with a grudge and their best game of the season. Last night they looked normal.

Jan 9, 2018, 10:11 AM

Unless you want to shift a little blame to the play calling and the coaching staff, NO. I'm tired of hearing, "Hunter Johnson would have been our savior. Look what he did against Wake Forest." I saw what he did against a gassed Miami defense, and they are not Alabama. Georgia started the game with 7 straight, mostly quick pass plays, by a quarterback who was considered more of a game manager. Kelly Bryant had played his best games in the biggest games all year. It didn't happen in the Sugar Bowl, but he certainly didn't have a lot of help either.

Jan 9, 2018, 12:48 PM

I agree with you except Hunter Johnson’s play in those games. You have to remember that not only did they put the third string qb in they also put the third and fourth down ol and rest. Compare apples to apples. Hunter wasn’t playing with the starters like KB. Not saying he would be better, but not the same

Message was edited by: jeancooper

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 9, 2018, 12:41 PM

Blame the running backs.

Look at last year's game and see how many times Gallman made a critical block to give Watson time to throw.

Watch this year's game and see the RBs were lost in pass protection and let defenders run past them untouched.

The RBs this year didn't do well in pass protection just like the WRs were weak on the blocking for screens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2018, 12:49 PM

Ask the Texans how a QB change can affect the OL.

No, they played terrible the whole game...

Jan 9, 2018, 1:34 PM

There have been play calling issues this year, but nothing in the play calling against Bama would have gave us more time to Pass.

Big difference, last year the oline pass blocked good against Bama..

Jan 9, 2018, 2:02 PM

Did a terrible job in pass blocking this year against them. Also we have a finesse oline, while UGA and Bama have physical olines.

No....our OL had a really bad day.....

Jan 9, 2018, 2:09 PM

Physically beat up. Bama played their best Defense of the season.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Not NO,

Jan 9, 2018, 2:10 PM

But HELL NO!

Jan 9, 2018, 2:11 PM

Imho YES

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic