Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Non golfer masters question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,056

Non golfer masters question

Apr 5, 2018, 7:57 PM

These pros have played this course numerous times. Yeah the wind changes and hole locations are different.

But how on earth can they not be killing it on a course they’ve played SO many times?

When I worked on the putt putt course, we could hit a hole in one on 95% of the holes after learning the “trick” for each one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember playing putt putt on my 23rd bday

Apr 5, 2018, 8:10 PM

in late April with snow on the course.

While living in Ohio.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wut? Ohio?***

Apr 5, 2018, 9:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember playing putt putt on my 23rd bday

Apr 6, 2018, 12:03 AM [ in reply to I remember playing putt putt on my 23rd bday ]

Heck I think we missed that, but ummm, happy belated 23rd birthday!

why don't pro bowlers get a strike every time?

Apr 5, 2018, 8:34 PM

Why don't pro tennis players ace every serve? Why don't billiard pros make every shot?

Those are MUCH more "same" than any golf shot. In very much more controlled conditions.

Because they are human and the "perfect" swing/routine is almost impossible to replicate.

Most golfers will tell you that no two shots they have ever hit in their lifetimes have been exactly the same. Wind is the ultimate variable, of course. You can see how the last groupings today tore the scorecard up with the lack of a breeze today. But there are many other things that make the same shots different year-to-year, or even day-to-day. Lie, grain/cut of grass, footing, slope ---- all kinds of variables. Plus your body changes (muscles, eyesight, weight) every year. And as light as changes may be, they do make conditions different.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm not saying they should be shooting -20 every round

Apr 5, 2018, 10:39 PM

just seems like aside from your own yips and inner demons, you could be fairly consistent on this course.

well first, the greens are like green...

Apr 5, 2018, 10:18 PM

Concrete. A eight iron from 170 yards out can end up by to the hole one time, then fly one foot further the next time and end up in the water.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sergio scok?***

Apr 5, 2018, 10:38 PM

Same way anNBA player can miss a free throw***

Apr 6, 2018, 2:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

There are so many variables, more than I will post..

Apr 6, 2018, 4:32 AM

Pin placement is huge for their approach shots. The greens don't always roll the same. The golfer doesn't always put well, whether it is their touch, or just not reading the greens well that day. Obviously weather can be a factor, but not yet in this Masters. Although many have played the course relatively a lot, there are still tons of situations they haven't been in out there on that course, so sometimes they make the wrong decision or just don't execute what they tried to do. The players themselves don't always play the same. They aren't machines. Sometimes they are more on than others. Sometimes they aren't hitting enough fairways on their drives and it's make it more complicated. That leaves them behind a tree, in a fairway bunker, or in the rough etc etc. This year the course has more rough and deeper rough supposedly. Supposedly 20 new trees were added on hole 15 alone. The course doesn't always play the the same like put put. Like I stated, they aren't machines. It's such a precise game. There are many other reasons too that I am sure others can go on and on about. As far the players being off or on, I guess it is like asking, how can a great QB like Tom Brady or Deshaun Watson have a bad a day and overthrow or underthrow a bunch of wr's? Why do great pitchers have days where they don't have their stuff or can't hit their spots?

Re: Non golfer masters question

Apr 6, 2018, 9:31 AM

A shot hit 1 deg. off line on a 300 hundred yard distance
can be completely in a bad place where no good option remains for your next shot.

The game of golf is more exacting than any other sport.
These guys playing this course are the best in the entire world at golf and
they struggle with this course.

It is called the Masters because you must be a master of your craft to succeed.

I doubt you're one of the best at putt-putt in the world and yet you only have,
to quote you, a 95% success rate.

Spieth's 6 under score yesterday was very very good.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,056
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic