Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are stacked at RB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

We are stacked at RB

Jul 10, 2013, 9:32 PM

And could definitely use the scholarship at a thinner position. All that needs to be said on the matter. Nothing will come of this rumor and we shouldn't want anything to come of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are stacked at RB

Jul 10, 2013, 9:41 PM

Rb is weakest postion on the team. Not one guy that played last year has a chance to get drafted. We are hoping dye turns out to be a stud. Hot rod super small dj should be a safety and brookes is a wr playing rb.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are stacked at RB

Jul 10, 2013, 9:45 PM

agree on howard and Brooks, but Tyshon Dye appears to be the real deal and I really like Adam Choice in the 2014 class.

Personally I would love for dyer to play here for a year, but we all know that will not happen at Clemson and should just accept that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are going to find out how much we miss Bellamy.***

Jul 10, 2013, 10:00 PM

He buying or selling pot to you, peanut?***

Jul 11, 2013, 6:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adam choice with his height and weight can hopefully

Jul 11, 2013, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: We are stacked at RB ]

Be the low center of gravity bull that merriweather was by the time he gets on campus. The type of back that can pound a dline in the fourth qtr and still break off long ones at times. Dye could fit this style also. Throw in gallman to go with what we can pickup in 15 and this could be a very strong group for yrs to come.

One thing I would like to see this yr is some 2 back sets

Jul 11, 2013, 1:13 PM

Like Oregon runs at times. I think that even with our overall inexperience it could give defenses more to focus on since we don't have a so called "carry the load" type of back

Re: I think you are right.***

Jul 10, 2013, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: We are stacked at RB ]

We're loaded at RB.... I agree

Jul 10, 2013, 10:12 PM

I agree. We aren't facing some kinda RB crisis. Its HotRods chance to showcase what he has. If he falters then we'll see what DJ Howard can do. Hopefully he can hold onto the ball this season. Then we also have Zac Brooks who seems to be gaining some fandom lately. The verdict is still out of him but I expect him to step up.

And here is where it gets really rich: Tyshon Dye and Wayne Gallman will be on campus soon and participating in drills. The sky is the limit with these two guys. I was astounded when both committed to us. This duo could be a two headed monster similar to James Davis and CJ Spiller. Both are unique in their own ways. One is a power guy and the other is a slash runner.

Furthermore we've hit the jackpot with the 2014 class. Adam Choice has the look of a big time back and his film shows it. CJ Fuller is coming to TigerTown as well. He is a big time prospect from Easley and his name will be in the paper quite often this fall. Jae'Lon Oglesby should be a Tiger as well; if he gets his papers in order.

Now thats what I call a stacked position! GO Tigers!

Re: We're loaded at RB.... I agree

Jul 10, 2013, 10:16 PM

The definition of stacked is players that have proved their ability at the college level not high school seniors or incoming freshman...they have proved nothing yet and brooks hasn't proved anything and while hot rod and dj have shown glimpses they haven't proved they can carry the load so we are FAR from being stacked

You think you don't like HotRod now?

Jul 11, 2013, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Re: We are stacked at RB ]

Wait until he publicly humiliates you by having a 1200 yard season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Numbers or quality?

Jul 10, 2013, 10:14 PM

JUst asking..

;)

Re: Numbers or quality?

Jul 10, 2013, 10:41 PM

The depth chart will be Hot Rod, Howard, and Brooks, and we have Gallman and Dye coming in. Next year, we already have CJ Fuller, Jae'lon Oglesby and Adam Choice (all four-stars) committed.

I know we're a little thin at experience at RB outside of Hot Rod and Howard, but we're nowhere near lacking in talent. And to those who say our returning vets haven't proven themselves: neither would you, when playing behind Andre Ellington. Finally: do y'all seriously not think we'll develop all the guys I listed above? Clemson kinda has a good history of developing stud running backs and I see no reason why that won't continue with the guys we have coming in. We don't need Dyer.

Re: Re: Numbers or quality?

Jul 10, 2013, 10:47 PM

If they were any good they would have played more and showed out. We ran 80 plus snaps a game and never saw howard or brookes. Both in my opinion are not rb. Think that's why u see the staff going after so many rb. This year rb is the weak spot on the team unless dye shows out which I hate counting on true freshman.

^^^ Somebody get DRad on the phone about hiring this guy

Jul 11, 2013, 10:23 AM

Coaching material for sure...

Re: Brooks just needs to bulk up. Reminds me of Andre E.***

Jul 10, 2013, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Numbers or quality? ]

Food for thought

Jul 10, 2013, 11:11 PM

When is the last time we were ''soft'' at RB? I mean we took Travis Zachary and turned him into a more than serviceable back. We did the same with Duane Coleman; who was ok at RB. Then when real talent arrived, we put him at DB. With the three already listed and two arriving soon, I like our odds. All we need is one of five to be a dependable starter. And next year add three to the mix, and subtract a graduated HotRod. Then all we need is one of seven to step up. Atleast we're not in the same boat as Scar. They have nothing worth speaking of. James Davis' little brother Mike? Are ya kidding me.

Not kidding you, Davis and Wilds would start ahead of HotRod***

Jul 11, 2013, 10:11 AM

i know you're not kidding...

Jul 11, 2013, 10:15 AM

which scares me if you operate motor vehicles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HotRod is a SR who has been a career reserve at a position

Jul 11, 2013, 10:23 AM

where talented freshman and sophomores regularly start. He will be steady and serviceable but has a limited top end. This is a considerable drop off from what Clemson has had the last several years from an NFL talent standpoint.

which has nothing to do with your statement, which was

Jul 11, 2013, 10:27 AM

moronic.

Kenny Miles 104 359 3.5 17 (TD) 2
Mike Davis 52 275 5.3 50 2

Roderick McDowell 83 450 5.4 32 5

that's last year. absolutely nothing there says miles or davis would start over mcD. nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Use his career stats 5.2 ypc and look who he got it against.

Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM

If you think HotRod has more talent than either Wilds or Davis who both got all of their yards as true freshman you are kidding yourself. Wilds has broken a 100 yards every game he has gotten the ball 20 times. I look for one of your freshman to be starting by the end of the year.

Hot Rod didn't start a single game this season, though

Jul 11, 2013, 11:01 AM

With Lattimore being out most of the season, obviously both of them got played a lot more. The only game Ellington missed was about 90% of the Duke game. The fact that Hot Rod was able to beat them both in every stat (except one) even though he did not start a single game pretty much speaks volumes about the whole situation. So basically, he got stats better than both of them in a PASS HAPPY offense where he DIDN'T START, competing against an EVERY DOWN back in Ellington, and with an offensive line that has been quite LACKLUSTER with establishing the run.

Your YPC will not be as good as a starter vs someone who

Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 AM

gets mop up duty in blowouts. A pass happy offense should also increase your YPC vs a run first team as well. Your arguments don't make sense.

Except they totally do make sense...

Jul 11, 2013, 12:21 PM

Zac Brooks/DJ Howard were the mop up guys during blowouts. Roderick McDowell was Ellington's solid number 2 through the whole season. Hot Rod got some good playing time this season, albeit not as much as Ellington, and did a heck of a job with what he had to play with.T he fact that McDowell has better YPC than both of SCar's backs means that he did MORE with the FEWER snaps he got. Sometimes it's not about what you've done overall, it's what you've done with what you've been given. Look at CJ Spiller in the NFL.

Also, why would a pass happy offense increase a YPC? You could argue that the defense spreads out more, but it also means that the offensive line does more with pass blocking than run blocking. Creating a clean pocket is a heck of a lot different than opening up holes (you can ask LSU about that). Plus, spreading out the defense also spreads out your blocking too. Plus, being pass happy means less opportunities to run. Having higher YPC while doing more passing means, ONCE AGAIN, he did more with less.

no, you're kidding yourself. the only reason wilds got the

Jul 11, 2013, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Use his career stats 5.2 ypc and look who he got it against. ]

opps he did was out of necessity because lattimore took a knee again.

miles jumped ship, which left you with nothing behind lattimore. wilds? that's a joke.

mcd has waited his time behind davis, spiller, harper & ellington. all highly recruited and some of the best ever at cu.

you wanting to hold that against a kid is ludicrous. i understand why miles didn't stick around, but it gives you the reason your frosh & rfrosh got any significant chances. there was no one else. duh.

Miles didn't hang around because he got beat out, I've got

Jul 11, 2018, 10:56 AM

nothing against HotRod, good attitude playing behind great players. IMO I don't think he has the talent level of Wilds and Davis or your freshman for that matter and I think at best he will end up spliting time with them by the end of the season if not losing his starting spot.

Re: Miles didn't hang around because he got beat out, I've got

Jul 11, 2013, 11:28 AM

How did they fair against a defense with a pulse(ie LSU)....(crickets).....NOT TOO GOOD?!!

Wow, did you just chant SEC, SEC? Too funny! Score board.***

Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

The last score I saw

Jul 11, 2013, 11:38 AM

against a Mighty top tier SEC team we played was a 25 to 24 win for the Tigers in Orange

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

You hang your hat on that one, I'll hang mine on the last 4

Jul 11, 2013, 11:44 AM

against your Mighty top tier ACC Tigers in Orange.

You would

Jul 11, 2013, 11:49 AM

Cause that's all you have to hang your hat on.

I'm not hanging a hat on anything SEC homer.

Jul 11, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to You hang your hat on that one, I'll hang mine on the last 4 ]

I'm stating our last score against a team that finished higher in your conferece than you did. I've admitted on this board you've had our number but......He refereced SEC and you said scoreboard.

So in our most recent SEC game yeah, we won.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: You hang your hat on that one, I'll hang mine on the last 4

Jul 11, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to You hang your hat on that one, I'll hang mine on the last 4 ]

It's either that or a sky hook.

You can find one near the board stretchers in your local hardware store, just down from the muffler bearings.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

McDowell would start over your 2. As for the sec crap. dont

Jul 11, 2013, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Wow, did you just chant SEC, SEC? Too funny! Score board.*** ]

Think too many on here have questioned the talent levels of sec defenses, including yours. The sec comments are related to teams that chant sec, sec, but have not won it, and for the majority of time being in it, have been an embarrassment. Davis may end up being a stud but he hasn't done enough to convince me he would star over McDowell. Oh well, your opinion against the entire fanbaseof your rival... What did you expect.....agreement?

and i've got nothing against davis who i think is a heck of

Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Miles didn't hang around because he got beat out, I've got ]

a back, but wilds isn't in mcd's class; i'm sorry.

he's a completely different back with no upside. is he solid? yes, but he doesn't belong in the conversation with either davis or mcd, certainly not when it comes to cu's offense.

with that said, there is nothing davis has done for you to pull your original comment out your ####.

he simply hasn't done anything to suggest he'd supplant a veteran in a system.

Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true

Jul 11, 2013, 11:41 AM

freshman. Wilds has 2 100 yard games against good defenses TN and FL after Lat went down. Both should improve their blocking assignments and will split time as starter this season.

tennessee? haha, they had the 107th ttl d in the land.

Jul 11, 2013, 11:48 AM

please stop.

Wilds played in 2011 RS last year and TN ranked 28th TTL D***

Jul 11, 2013, 12:39 PM

sorry, i included 2012-13 stats, you're going back 2 years.

Jul 11, 2013, 1:39 PM

those were 2 good games he had 2 years ago, followed by being shelved last year for miles?

still not enough to unseat mcd in clemson's offense coming into this season.

you want to say wilds is a better fit for scar's? ok. idc. you want to say davis ~ mcd, i'm even cool with that, but there's nothing to support your absurd claim they would unseat mcd in cu's offense. ain't happening.

Shame on you. Do you know your supposed to live in the past?***

Jul 11, 2013, 1:42 PM

No worries, Wilds was injured last year. Tyshon will start

Jul 11, 2013, 1:49 PM [ in reply to sorry, i included 2012-13 stats, you're going back 2 years. ]

this year for you, its just a matter of when. Kid has great feet, balance and hands out of the back field. He will just have to learn to pick up his blocks like every other freshman.

well, he had a high ankle sprain & got shelved for miles...

Jul 11, 2013, 2:03 PM

no other way to look at it. them/scar not needing him doesn't bode well for his ability to start in clemson this year.

i like dye, but he's not going to start. he's got a chance to garner some serious carries this year as it's wide open after mcd. doesn't mean the other guys aren't talented, it means dye will be in a similar situation as wilds/davis as frosh. not many experienced options after mcd or in wilds & davis' case, after lattimore. going to be some necessity this year.

Re: Wilds played in 2011 RS last year and TN ranked 28th TTL D***

Jul 11, 2013, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Wilds played in 2011 RS last year and TN ranked 28th TTL D*** ]

That is incorrect Wilds had his 100 yard game against Tenn in 2011 when their defense was 107nd ttl and 116th against the run.

Re: Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true

Jul 11, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true ]

TN....LOL?!!!! Are you serious?!!!

Yes in 2011, Wilds first start they ranked 28 in TTL D***

Jul 11, 2013, 12:43 PM

If Davis splits time with wilds, he isn't as good as I think

Jul 11, 2013, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true ]

He is or can be. He should be your 75% guy with wilds getting mop up duty.

Wilds is right there with Davis and is bigger but not quite

Jul 11, 2013, 1:57 PM

as much raw talent as Davis ie. vision or feet.

Maybe, I just don't get the impression that he runs as hard

Jul 11, 2013, 2:30 PM

Or finishes runs as well as Davis. Doesn't get as low at contact either. Davis seems to be more equipped between the tackles.

Wilds has better hands and Spur loves the outlet pass to the

Jul 11, 2013, 2:37 PM

back over the middle.

Re: Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true

Jul 11, 2013, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Both Davis and Wilds have shown considerable talent as true ]

Wilds has averaged 24 ypg against teams with a winning record and 11 ypg against ranked teams

Fact is of the 7 div1 teams Wilds played against, Clemson

Jul 11, 2013, 5:17 PM

had the worst ranked Defense.

Re: Fact is of the 7 div1 teams Wilds played against, Clemson

Jul 11, 2013, 5:30 PM

And yet he rushed 7 times for 24 yards that's 3.43 ypc

Re: Fact is of the 7 div1 teams Wilds played against, Clemson

Jul 11, 2013, 5:35 PM

Rod mcdowell on the other hand had 3 rushes for 43 yards against you

Re: HotRod is a SR who has been a career reserve at a position

Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM [ in reply to HotRod is a SR who has been a career reserve at a position ]

And if he hasover 1,000 yards this season - You'll never come back to TigerNet?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Define quality

Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Numbers or quality? ]

If you mean Spiller type quality.... Tell me who has that type of back stacked three deep.

But all of our backs are above average. And I will take four deep....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

If you're looking for Spiller quality..

Jul 11, 2013, 12:25 PM

There isn't a single back IN THE NATION right now with that, much less at Clemson.

Re: Numbers or quality?

Jul 11, 2013, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Numbers or quality? ]

I think our running game's quality just isn't there right now, there's no real evidence to say it is. I know I would love nothing more than to see a rb break for a 30-40 yard td run for our first touchdown and I hope it's McDowell. If McDowell doesn't produce game one, I feel one of our true freshman will be our primary ball carrier as soon as the fsu game.

I'm sorry but some of y'all underestimate Hot Rod

Jul 11, 2013, 12:09 AM

Watching highlights of him, he is one of heck of a ball player. He sort of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch the way he just sort of hits the hole and is able to pull off some good stiff arm moves. Once he gets a few more weeks of practice under his belt, I see him being Clemson's future. And if you need a guy with good speed on the outside, just hit up DJ or Zac Brooks.

Tajh did say that Hot Rod

Jul 11, 2013, 12:13 AM

might be the most explosive player on the team

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Hot Rod

Jul 11, 2013, 4:36 PM [ in reply to I'm sorry but some of y'all underestimate Hot Rod ]

McDowell will be our prime RB this year and he has shown flashes of what he can do. I have confidence that Rod can fill the #1 RB spot effectively.

Where it gets a little sketchy is behind McDowell. He cannot do it alone and nobody else has proven they can carry the load.

A team needs to have three RBs that the coaches feel could carry the team to a win.

Two more guys are going to have to step up in the fall and prove that they can win games for Clemson.

Fortunately, we have the numbers to give us confidence that a couple will rise to the occasion.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hot Rod is our guy***

Jul 11, 2013, 12:14 AM

Re: I Know Hot Rod will Do Really Well this Season ******

Jul 11, 2013, 2:51 AM

i cOMPLETELY aGREE. hE wILL bE a sTAR tHIS yEAR.***

Jul 11, 2013, 12:29 PM

FoOtBaLl!

Jul 11, 2013, 12:33 PM

amidoinitrite?

Clemson

I don't know much about McDowell

Jul 11, 2013, 11:36 AM

Other than some film that I've watched on him, but I think he will do just fine in your offense. I do know that Tyshon Dye has good size and good speed. He also ran the wing-t in high school which I believe is similar to the offense that Morris runs and will help him make the adjustment to the college game. You guys also picked up Adam Choice from my alma mater. Adam is a short kid with a stocky build and I personally believe he is a perfect fit for your system. Both of these guys are gems and if you pick up one more back next year you should be set for the next several years. In closing, you're fine at the runningback spot.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic