Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure if this is the right place to vent about this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1,098

Not sure if this is the right place to vent about this

Mar 1, 2018, 6:52 PM

I'm a Sophomore industrial engineering student, who has probably applied to 50 to 60 internships for a summer internship. Had two interviews that went well and one phone interview that I knocked out of the park and still haven't heard back from. One company completely ghosted me, I'm still waiting to hear back from one. It's stressful waiting and I'm tired of copying the info from my resume unto the little form when I know they have my resume so they can just read it off there.

Anyway, just wondering does all this stuff get easier.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't until you reach the age where you

Mar 1, 2018, 6:56 PM

are to scared to even try to job look and you begin to feel yourself slipping into a dark abyss with retirement being the only light ahead.

Lunge probably isn't the right place to get a lot of serious answers.
But Good Luck, kiddo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To work, or to retire and brew beer? That is the question.

Mar 1, 2018, 6:57 PM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brew beer so one can retire.

Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 AM

This would be easier if SC had different distribution laws.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh-oh....

Mar 1, 2018, 6:58 PM

Strap in and put your helmet on!

Persevere and stick to your goals.

Mar 1, 2018, 7:01 PM

Nothing worth anything is easy.

That being said, be smart about it - look for relationships and ways to build your personal network. The more people you meet and know, the wider your net for opportunity. So maybe someone on this board will be able to help. Maybe not.

Good luck young Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU1085 networked his ### off tonight!

Mar 1, 2018, 8:37 PM

This guy has a future in life.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm gonna do something weird and give a serious answer.

Mar 1, 2018, 7:14 PM

It's the way of the world....ain't what you know, but who you know. Network like crazy. Some friend's girlfriend's roommate's dad will be the GM at a plant somewhere and will give you the gig sight unseen just based on the recommendation. You gotta put your self out there. Post on linkedin/FB/etc what type of gig you're looking for.

Secondly, when you are applying, I've found that a lot of people fresh out of college just list what they can do, or why they want the job. That gets you nowhere. They don't care why you want the internship.....they want to know what you can do for them. So in your interviews, research the hell out of the companies---know their strengths, their weaknesses, their competition, and their strategic vision, and then take all those and connect the dots as to what your particular skill set can do to assist will any/all of those things. Good luck.....don't get frustrated, you're getting better with every interview, and this is preparing you for the big leagues more than you can imagine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact

Mar 1, 2018, 7:20 PM

info and send them a hand written thank you note within a day that reiterates that you want the position. Not an e-mail, an actual pen on paper note.

99% of the candidates they interview will not be doing this---it's a huge differentiator for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

big props to you Ob....

Mar 1, 2018, 8:34 PM

I wish I could give the guy a decent answer myself, but I got my last job ANSWERING AN AD I SAW IN A FREAKING PRINT NEWSPAPER (cue woolly mammoth sounds). I've totally missed out on this internet-age way of applying for a job. Wasn't really looking at the time, but gave it a shot, it was a cool position. Went to the interview - dressed professionally and was overly courteous, jovial, and polite. I followed up the next day with a quick note thanking him for his time. I heard nothing for 3 months, and one day I got a message on my phone from the dude that interviewed me that he was offering me the job. It took them that long for HR to get their crap in a pile.

All I can add to Obed is hang in there. I've been in a situation that I've sent out probably 100 resumes and dozens of interviews before I struck gold, or even tinfoil. Heck, I once took a job on a golf course slinging a weedeater all day making minimum wage just to pay the bills while waiting for a decent job to manifest itself (and I was an engineer with experience). I worked a bunch of bad jobs in a bunch of bad cities, but finally found my dream job, exactly what I want to do and exactly where I want to be. Finding something awesome on first shot has worse odds than hitting the powerball.

It's isn't always fun, but it's worthwhile if you persevere, luck will find you eventually. And those bad jobs leave you with some great stories to tell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true, but no matter how much you really want to do it...

Mar 1, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact ]

You should refrain from enclosing dink pics with the thank you letter. There will always be time for that after you land the gig.

To add on to Obed's

Mar 2, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact ]

Another huge part is not being a doofus. No one wants to hire a doofus. Carry yourself well in interviews and it'll really help you. My wife's company interviews a lot of students and they can narrow down 50 candidates down to 5 just by the first 30 seconds of talking to them. Just because you're smart and have a 4.0 GPA doesn't mean people want to hire you. As long as you have a 3.0 or higher, a good personality will get you a lot farther than just having a 4.0 ever will.

Yes.

Mar 2, 2018, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact ]

I hire recent grads several times a year for our training program. It kills me when people do no research and send no thank you.

Just prepare, if you aren't prepared for the interview, I have little confidence that you can prepare for the job (because the job is way harder than the interview).

^^ This is very important...especially in today's world...

Mar 2, 2018, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact ]

a young person that can write a letter will be remembered.

I just made a job offer to a guy yesterday and he separated himself by writing a letter, which also included some follow-up info from our interview. Now that guy is getting a big career jump, a 6-fig base salary plus bonus, a car allowance, etc...because he took the time to write a letter!

You should listen to Obed here.

Mar 2, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Oh yeah...at every interview, get the interviewer's contact ]

He's pre-Law.

:)

Seriously, his advice is spot on here:

Network and follow-up.

Good Luck

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Dang. Should have read this and saved time.***

Mar 2, 2018, 5:02 AM [ in reply to I'm gonna do something weird and give a serious answer. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, if I understand what you're saying here...

Mar 2, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to I'm gonna do something weird and give a serious answer. ]

call Kramerica Industries?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With OP’s help, they’ll get that chicken.***

Mar 2, 2018, 10:38 AM

Re: Not sure if this is the right place to vent about this

Mar 1, 2018, 7:58 PM

Don’t fret. I was a 2.8 GPA mechanical student who had an advisor that told me to switch majors multiple times. I never interned or co-oped.

I’m now a registered engineer and a Principal at a firm. School is only a stepping stone and won’t make or break you.

Also had 2.8 when interviewed for a co-op at IBM

Mar 1, 2018, 8:51 PM

The interviewer told me my GPA was the equivalent of showing up to the interview in a swimsuit.

Was still able to knock the socks off during the interview, had some good references and prior experiences, and ended up doing 3 semesters of co-ops with IBM.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasted 10 years of my life at IBM.***

Mar 1, 2018, 9:15 PM

$12-14/hr plus overtime was great money

Mar 1, 2018, 9:33 PM

Thought I won the lottery. Had never seen that much money before. Shared a 3 bedroom apt with 5 other friends. Played in their basketball league. Great times.

But yeah, I still have nightmares of working their call center and fixing the stupid modem/soundcard combo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lutz POS systems here.

Mar 1, 2018, 9:35 PM

Bit they paid more like $20/hr then.

Man, good luck. So glad all that is behind me.

Mar 1, 2018, 8:43 PM

What Obed says, do it. It’s who you know, not always what.

Everything happens for a reason, keep with it!***

Mar 1, 2018, 8:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

The Clemson Career Center was useful to me 20+ years ago

Mar 1, 2018, 9:00 PM

Helped land a co-op with IBM my junior year. Hopefully they're still a valuable resource.

Have you looked at metro areas further away then where you currently live? This could open up other opportunities, and give you a chance to see new part of the country and meet new people.

I had a hard time finding an intern gig, but was really fortunate with summer placement through a temp agency. I worked a lot of crappy gigs (selling books at motivation speakers, selling cheap jewelry, serving tables at weddings) ... but eventually landed a spot with Blue Cross Blue Shield doing data entry and QC. It was easy work, but I could type faster than anybody there, was more accurate than employees, and made great connections that helped me land real jobs down the road. They extended my contract for many months, and allowed me to have BCBS on my resume moving forward.

'Ghosting' is typical with recruiters and HR departments. It's easier to ignore people, and potentially safer than saying something improper during the 'sorry but no' conversation. Keep plugging away and you'll find something.

(former IE major that switched to Econ and loved it)

One more thought. Get close with some professors or dean

Mar 1, 2018, 9:02 PM

They tend to have great connections for summer spots.

Well I think you’ve set yourself up for failure by

Mar 1, 2018, 9:16 PM

Being an engineering student. I wanted to be an engineer but I talked to a ton of engineers of several different focuses and they all said basically the same thing.

Be in the top 10 of your class or have someone you know at the top that will let you in if you want to really be a successful engineer. Otherwise it’s probably going to be all cubicals and computer screens for you.

The best advice I can give is to switch to civil, get in as a surveyor at a firm and they’ll probably have a job for you after you graduate. Civil firms are starved for surveyors, you could almost name your price as a young college grad with survey experience.

We pay graduating MEs and EEs $60k

Mar 1, 2018, 9:46 PM

With good benefits right out of school. All consulting fields are starved right now.

Consulting, huh.

Mar 1, 2018, 10:02 PM

Maybe I’ll look into that.

And how many do you

Mar 1, 2018, 10:15 PM [ in reply to We pay graduating MEs and EEs $60k ]

Hire every year?

Re: And how many do you

Mar 1, 2018, 10:22 PM

3-5 on average.

Any graduating ME EE wanting to work in ATL

Mar 1, 2018, 10:24 PM

T-male me.

We also have intern and co-op spots if you need a summer job. Just know a jounger will be your boss.

Not trying to argue but now I’m curious

Mar 2, 2018, 7:49 AM

Do they usually all stay, I imagine some leave and I would assume it’s a large firm.

When I was surveying, I was trying to get my Professional surveyors license and I would have had to go back to school and take some engineering (maybe 5 “relevant classes” to surveying), the last company I was at would’ve paid for it but they said they would want me to finish an engineering degree. The last thing I wanted to do was go to school 3 more years for another bachelors when I could get my MBA in 1-1/2 and go elsewhere and make more so I didn’t do it, but it’s okay because now I make way more than I ever would as an engineer and it works out great for me.

Cannot disagree more...

Mar 2, 2018, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Well I think you’ve set yourself up for failure by ]

an engineering degree, more so than just about any other type of degree, opens up a very broad base of opportunity.

Match an engineering degree, a little bit of smarts, and a bit of a personality and you can write your own ticket. I hire engineers to be in sales roles and it is a very difficult spot to fill.

I got an EE degree and was definitely no where near the top of my class. I took a job as a sales engineer out of college and wasn't making very much for an engineer. I worked hard...learned all I could about all aspects of the company...figured out I could make myself much more valuable to the company by disclosing I was good with computers and taught myself networking and helped out with IT (was a smaller company at the time). Fast forward to now and I'm over all sales and marketing and IT for my company in NA and later this year I'll be taking over as the GM of our operation here in the US.

My point is that having an engineering degree doesn't have to bind you to a cubicle for your entire career. Like anything, a degree is a degree...what you do with it is up to you.

Re: Cannot disagree more...

Mar 2, 2018, 9:25 AM

I agree with you disagreeing. Everything in JGT's post is bull shid. Sorry JGT. I'm a Civil engineer and it might be the worst engineering field. Do you want to be underpaid for the rest of your life? Become a Civil engineer. Do you want to be even more underpaid? Be a surveyor. Literally no one with a bachelors degree does surveying outside of 1 summer internship either after freshman or sophomore year. Surveying is for people with associate degrees

also there are very few civil jobs outside of the construction industry that are not all computer screens and cubicles

Use MemphisCat as a reference and apply for “The Apprentice”

Mar 1, 2018, 9:29 PM

After Trump leaves office.

*Said in jest*

Sometimes you have to

Mar 1, 2018, 9:33 PM

sleep with the interviewer/s...but don't look at it as a bad thing. You're just getting to know your coworkers a little better. Also, if you don't get the gig, it doesn't hurt to send a nasty letter/email to let them know how much of a digweasel they are and how shoddy they conduct their business. Some view this a having a lot of passion and will make them do a 360 on the candidate. I hope I've helped but the most important thing to remember is you'll get your chance...it's up to you to make the most of it.

fogetaboutit: When I was your age, I didn’t know what an

Mar 1, 2018, 10:23 PM

internship was. I was just a liberal arts major in college having the time of my life.

If you’re this dialed in now as a 2nd year college student, you’ll do fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hang in there and don't get discouraged, something might

Mar 1, 2018, 10:24 PM

come along when you least expect it.

36 years ago when i was in my last semester of civil engineering i had been on numerous interviews and not heard from any of them. I had to work the day of sign-ups for interviews with the corps of engineers and didn't get on their list, but got off work in time to drop by with my resume in hand as the were packing up to leave. the interviewer said she would talk to me will she packed up and then took my resume. i got her contact info and sent her a follow up letter thanking her for talking with me.

of course i never heard back from her and was planning to enroll in computer science for the following fall when i got a letter from them that summer offering me a job in savannah. i saw the interviewer sometime later and ask her what possessed her to hire me. she said that she was impressed that i showed the initiative to talk with her when i had no reservation.

Nice! I got my first job offer the very same way.

Mar 1, 2018, 10:50 PM

Career center had lined up interview day, and while I was waiting for my real interview with another company, I started talking to a guy from a company who was being stood up by his interviewee.

That guy's company ended up flying me to DC and making me an offer on the spot (which I refused because who wants to be 22 and getting a good salary and living in Georgetown?) but it only happened because I spoke to the dude. Conversation is a dying art.

All and especially Obed, wanted to jump back in here and say

Mar 1, 2018, 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and helpful tips and tricks, y'all rock.

You got it.....you caught the lounge in a perfect storm

Mar 1, 2018, 10:55 PM

of helpfulness....it happens about once a decade.

Feel free to t-mail me if you need any more advice. I've interviewed for jobs many times, hired for jobs even more, and have written hiring manuals for a couple companies now (only because no one else was dumb enough to say "yes"). Glad to help if I can.

Why not Georgetown ? Joking?***

Mar 1, 2018, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Nice! I got my first job offer the very same way. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno man I’ve been looking for a gig pretty steady

Mar 1, 2018, 11:25 PM

Since about 1994, and what you describe seems pretty similar to what I’ve seen since about 2000 or so.

I’m just waiting for the sweet release of an opioid induced coma topped with an alcohol fired buzz.that results in a complete bowel, bladder and scrotum emptying death.

Some advice fwiw

Mar 2, 2018, 5:00 AM

I'm not an engineer but I think this advice is sound for most professions. Who you know is just as important as as what you know. It's easy to get trapped into the idea that if you learn all this stuff in college, make excellent grades, and graduate with honors, that there's a non-entry level job out there just waiting on you.

I would recommend getting to know the professors better than most. And get out there in person. Meet people face to face. Take any job you can find without regard to money. Find a growing engineering firm and work there. Heck, be a janitor or computer tech or some base level job they have open. Pick a growing firm or a successful engineer who just needs office help. Absorb everything you can. Work hard. Meet people. And you will open far more doors doing this getting paid crumbs than your $100k degree will. Ask other students who have interned before for advice. Who's hiring. Which companies/firms/plants are growing? You can also try delivering your resume in person. That's 60 people you could have met already.

Basically to answer your question, no. It doesn't get easier. You're already probably taking the easiest road possible as it is with your approach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2018, 7:21 AM

Hang in there boss.

I was a senior in Mech. Engr. back in '06. I spent my first three summers in college working on a farm picking squash and doing TRDJ work. For my last summer, I was talking to a guy at the power company about doing an internship. He was my girlfriend's (now wife's) neighbor. He basically told me that they couldn't hire me because of my sub 3.0 GPA, BUT that his childhood friend was a Clemson guy and was a maintenance manager at a large factory in town. I took him up on the internship and have been working there for 12 years. The guy who hired me for my internship still works here as well and were very good friends. Two years later, I hired one of my friends from Clemson as MY intern at the same factory. - It's about who you know... and a lot of luck.

Here's the shocker: The main reason that they hired me... was my three summers on the farm. The plant manager told me that their biggest struggle is finding younger folks who are willing to work and if I stuck it out three summers on a farm, I should do great. - So I had something on my resume/interview that set me apart from the other candidates.

So I'm in my mid-30's now and the role is somewhat reversed. My advice to you would be following:

***don't be a #####/look like a ##### (while this is subjective, to me - it's my first criteria)
***don't be checking your phone or doing anything to act like a "typical millennial" (If I walk out to meet you and you have your phone in your face while standing there, it will almost certainly take you out of consideration.) (Helll, I had a candidate ask me if he could borrow my charger while interviewing him.)
***Clean your facebook account, or atleast make it private. Folks will absolutely FB stalk you. We all do it.
***Look for common ground with whoever you are being interviewed by. If it's football, then great. Same hometown? perfect. Look for something to make sure the guy remembers you when they're shuffling resumes around on a big table a week later making their decisions.
***Learn to mimic postures/gestures/tones of the people who are interviewing you. That will subconsciously make you more likable to the interviewer.

Good luck dude!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Wanna make $20?***

Mar 2, 2018, 7:37 AM

Have you gone through the career center or all on your own?

Mar 2, 2018, 8:01 AM

If you haven't gone through the career center, then do it. At least when I was there looking for a co-op they have interview days where you pick 10 companies that are going to have people on campus that day and you go interview with all of them. Pretty much everyone got an offer from someone.

ROH

Mar 2, 2018, 8:12 AM

You suckin?

If money isn't an option

Mar 2, 2018, 9:27 AM

go be a teacher.

Lots of time off.

Good benifits.

Get to #### post on tigernet all day

I like your funny words magic man

it does not get easier but you will get more confident

Mar 2, 2018, 9:57 AM

make sure if you want the job ASK FOR IT. and the other posters suggestion about researching the company is good advice. as well as the hand written thank you note. keep pounding and good luck. it will pay off.

Re: Not sure if this is the right place vent about this

Mar 2, 2018, 10:17 AM

I talked to an industrial engineer about interning... said i wasn't sure what my summer would look like. I do mostly process engineering as in moving chemicals from tanks and the such. Did we talk?

No we didn't.***

Mar 2, 2018, 12:41 PM

Mar 2, 2018, 8:25 PM

It's hard to get an internship after sophomore year as they are typically looking for people closer to graduation.

In many cases, they aren't hiring an intern for the work they do during the summer; they are hiring them for the summer to try them out and see if they will make them an offer when they graduate.

It's normal to not hear back from rejections or get a letter months later.

It MIGHT mean they are still considering you but you aren't their top choice.
More likely, it means some secretary hasn't been told yet to send out rejections and when she is told, it won't be her priority.

If you know other people that are interviewing and they got accepted and you haven't hear yet, that is basically a rejection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1,098
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic