Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was wrong about the ACC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,354

I was wrong about the ACC.

Jan 3, 2013, 11:00 AM

I've been a vocal critic of the ACC on here and I've said Clemson should jump ship ASAP to the SEC or the Big XII.

Well, I was wrong.

This bowl season has shown us the possible future for the ACC. Not including Notre Dame (because I don't think they'll ever join a football conference), the teams that will make up the 2014 ACC have done well and beaten the SEC powerhouses that they were matched up against.

If Georgia Tech can get things together and be respectable next year, I see us playing them in the ACC title game, and the ACC having a lineup of tough teams going into the bowl season:

Clemson
FSU
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Miami
Pitt

Once you add Louisville to that mix, we might just have a football conference after all. Now we just have to get Swofford to negotiate some good TV deals for once. Fox Sports could use a good flagship conference...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One last thing: We really do need two of these three to pick

Jan 3, 2013, 11:13 AM

up the slack and get back on the horse:

VT, Miami, Georgia Tech

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One last thing: We really do need two of these three to pick

Jan 3, 2013, 11:20 AM

Agree, It was a good sign to see the recent 4 big time football schools win in bowl season. FSU, Clemson, VT, and GT have held this conference together as of late. After that the ACC has a strong group of 6 teams that all have the potential to be good programs. Miami, UNC, and Louisville are the teams that can make the quickest impact followed by Pitt, Cues, and NCST. If we can get 6-8 of those 10 schools to establish themselves we could turn into a great conference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Some times the grass is not greener in another pasture

Jan 3, 2013, 11:26 AM

you just have to manicure and take care of the one you have

Would Cuse and Pitt have been bowl eligible in the ACC

Jan 3, 2013, 11:29 AM

this year? Pitt and Cuse have been terrible...until the best teams left the Big East.

Just like Rutgers. They were a national joke until Miami, VT and BC quit beating them. Temple gets kicked out of the Big East and the Al Golden became a great coach beating the A-10.

Louisville, great addition...Pitt and Cuse...lets hold judgement.

Cuse beat WVU and PITT has come the closest so far

Jan 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

to beating ND. I think both programs are back on the rise with a rich history. U of L is a huge upgrade over UMD.

Tom, don't be so quick to think ND will not join. It's in the plans, whether they stick to it or not is another story. If they don't , will the ACVC continue to give them their games ? I'd look more NBC getting into(ND angle)than FOX.

Also had a lawyer friend tell me , "don't be surprised if all these ACC/ND games turn into neutral site games to SCREW ESecPN out of it". Clemson/ND in Charlotte anyone ? FSU/ND at the OB. GT/ND at the Dome, VT/ND at Redskins stadium?

I like it! However I'd rather just play all games at

Jan 3, 2013, 11:53 AM

Death Valley. No need to put REAL in front of DV anymore since that issue has been settled. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With football I can understand the excitement now that

Jan 3, 2013, 11:33 AM

Louisville knocked off #2(what a joke) Fla, and that ND is playing for it all. What is even more exciting is how unbelievably stacked, even more than it already is, the ACC is going to be in basketball with Pitt, Louisville, ND, and Syracuse.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the ACC still sucks

Jan 3, 2013, 11:36 AM

The only impressive bowl win was ours. Louisville isnt playing ACC football till 2014. Will they even have Charlie Strong then?

I wouldn't hang any hope on GT

Jan 3, 2013, 11:37 AM

Paul simply can't recruit to his offense/system. The quality of players has seriously regressed under him. His best yr was under Chan's old players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. Keep dreaming. They're going to be tough.***

Jan 3, 2013, 11:41 AM

^^^ This and you should have seen Al Grohl's comments

Jan 3, 2013, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't hang any hope on GT ]

about how negative an environment it was. Granted he is probably a little bitter about being fired, but I don't think the situation was handled with much class.

Screw the ACC Anti-Clemson-Conference

Jan 3, 2013, 11:51 AM

I'm surprised at how easy it is for you to do a knee jerk about face just because Louisville (not in the ACC yet) beat over ranked UFlunk. Just sayin'....... :-P

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. Completely baseless.***

Jan 3, 2013, 12:04 PM

Well, there is always going to be that.

Jan 3, 2013, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Screw the ACC Anti-Clemson-Conference ]

They are anti-Clemson, but maybe that will be diluted some now that we have so many new teams in the mix. I dunno. I think the potential outweighs that negative.

And this isn't a knee jerk reaction to one game. It's based on my observations of all of the bowls so far. We have some quality programs coming in, so if one or two of our traditional programs can pick up the slack, the ACC could be a real football conference.

WOW dude.

Jan 3, 2013, 2:29 PM

You are forming this idiotic theory on ONE bowl season? Have you missed the other bowl seasons from this century? How about the entire regular season? How about the fact that UNC and Miami will more than likely be on probation in the not too distant future. How about the fact that VT does not recruit well and will be rebuilding a coaching staff sooner than later, how about the big unknowns in Pitt, Cuse, and Ville - Pitt and Cuse have done NOTHING since, well, as long as I can remember. Oh wait, Cuse beat a TERRIBLE WV team in a no-name bowl, my bad. Will Charlie Strong even be at the Ville anymore by the time they actually play a game in ACC play? Was your statement a knee-jerk reaction? Either that or completely ignorant. Take your pick.

I sure wish FSU was up for that Florida game.***

Jan 3, 2013, 12:32 PM

I wish CU was up for the Scar game***

Jan 3, 2013, 12:46 PM

Re: I was wrong about the ACC.

Jan 3, 2013, 12:43 PM

You mean the events of a month ago didn't happen? Clemson losing to the coots, Free Shoe losing to the Gators, Gt losing to the pups, Deacons losing to Vandy? Talk is cheap. It will take another season to gauge where we are.

No, those things did happen. That's the ACC right now.

Jan 3, 2013, 1:18 PM

I'm talking about the ACC in 2 years, assuming (and it's a big assumption) that we continue to improve, that FSU improves, that GT improves, etc.

Oh hey, they're finally listening to us...***

Jan 3, 2013, 1:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Where's wookie, are you seeing this?!***

Jan 3, 2013, 1:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,354
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic