Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done"

Jul 16, 2017, 8:01 AM

Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done"

Ask four different people who Clemson’s starting quarterback will be when the Tigers open the season against Kent St. in early September, and you might get four different answers. Ask those same people who Clemson’s quarterback will be in mid-October, and you might again get four different answers. Head coach Dabo Swinney just wants a winner. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done"

Jul 16, 2017, 8:07 AM

?

Jul 16, 2017, 8:37 AM

Looking foward to our first game. The Tiger O better be ready by the Auburn game.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game

Jul 16, 2017, 8:46 AM

With that said, the spring game doesnt matter now. I'm hoping that Cooper or Johnson over takes Bryant because i havent seen anything out of Bryant other than his run game that suggests he will be a winning QB. Clemson has a target on their back and the next QB has to be ready to take the reigns from the greatest QB we've ever had, i just dont see Bryant being that guy. I could be wrong (usually am) but we will see. I just don't want Dabo to use the "seniority rule" and cost us a couple games like he did with Cole Stoudt starting. Put the best one in there and spare no feelings, this is big boy ball now more than ever.

Re: I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game

Jul 16, 2017, 9:06 AM

From what I saw Israel had the best command of the offense during the Spring Game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2017, 1:28 PM

Israel wasn't asked to do much with that offense. Also, Orange had the much better o-line.

Hunter Johnson looked the best overall when he wasn't running for his life. Bryant is explosive with his feet, less so with his arm. I think Hunter Johnson will eventually be the starter, but he hasn't earned it yet.

Jul 16, 2017, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

I saw the same thing. It seems that somehow Dabo must have missed it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

Agree 100%.....put the best guy out there starting from Game 1 even if he is one of the true freshman.....Bryant's lack of a passing game concerns me unless he has drastically improved from what he has shown thus far......QB can not be one dimensional in today's college football games and expect to be very successful.....but I trust Dabo and he will get the right guy out there to give us the best chance to be successful.....Go Tigers!!!!

Jul 16, 2017, 4:38 PM

The main thing that I believe should always be so. And that is seniority should never have any preference over a better player. The only way that seniority could mean anything, would be, if the older guy played just as good as the younger guy at the same position. Seniority wins out!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2017, 8:40 PM

I hope Dabo learned his lesson when he replaced Stoudt with DW4. Let's hope so. I just want the best player in the game, and I don't care if he is a true freshman or a graduate assistant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no "seniority rule", never was. When can we put

Jul 16, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

that nonsense to rest?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

No seniority rule? I sure hope that is

Jul 16, 2017, 1:27 PM

behind us.

Cole Stoudt those first two games was all but seniority by my memory. Cole came on to really help us his last two years and he earned a lot of respect from me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No seniority rule? I sure hope that is

Jul 16, 2017, 5:30 PM

Cole Stoudt could have also been a great Clemson QB if Chad Morris would have tweaked his offensive scheme a little so that it could have fit Cole's strengths. I think that Chad Morris was hard headed and refused to tweak his offense to fit Cole. He was so proud of himself about getting the best duel threat QB in the country recruit to Clemson, that he couldn't have cared less if Chad would have just transferred out. But, I believe that if he would have tweaked his offense for Cole to be successful in it, he would have shown that he could have run his offense with more than just a duel threat QB. And it would have helped himself out in finding a better head coaching job if he had. Athletic directors saw Chad's offense only working with a duel threat QB!!! Coach Elliot and Jeff Scott tweaked Chads offense and made Cole look like the best QB in the country in that one game. IMO, Cole got a bad deal from Chad Morris being his offensive coordinator and QBs coach!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no "seniority rule", never was. When can we put

Jul 16, 2017, 8:42 PM [ in reply to There is no "seniority rule", never was. When can we put ]

Yes there was. We saw it with Stoudt.

There was no "senority rule"

Jul 16, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

Chad Kelly was supposed to be the Man that season, but he had other ideas.

Deshaun Watson was a true freshman who had been injured in spring practice. Cole Stoudt was a fifth year senior. Stoudt was a good passer when healthy, but not mobile. Stoudt performed well against UGA, but had some key passes in that game that were dropped by the receivers. Neither QB did that well against FSU.

I blame Todd Gurley for the UGA loss and Clemson's lack of a running game for the FSU loss.

Stoudt was a not-very-mobile QB who had no running game to speak of in an offense that was designed around a mobile QB who played a lot of the season hurt. No wonder he didn't do well. The Russell Athletic Bowl showed what a healthy Cole Stoudt could do in an offense that played to his strengths.

The absurdity of the idea of a "seniority rule" by Dabo

Jul 16, 2017, 1:41 PM

is that he knew good and well that Deshaun was the better QB and gave us a better chance to win, but for since Stoudt had seniority, and had paid his dues, he knowingly risked us losing so that Stoudt could have his shot. In other words, Dabo was putting his loyalty to Stoudt ahead of the good of the team.

Nothing could be more ridiculous, and it's hard to believe that such a notion was ever taken seriously. Dabo felt Stoudt gave us the best chance to win those games, for the reasons you outlined, and I don't know why that is so hard to understand for some folks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm no expert but this might be the reason

Jul 16, 2017, 2:39 PM

Watson came in and started a TD drive from his 11 yard line and finished with a 30 yard TD pass by splitting the safeties down the middle.

Then he was benched.

It wasn't because of "seniority" or a misguided sense of

Jul 16, 2017, 3:31 PM

to Stoudt, if that's what you are saying. My apologies if I am misunderstanding you.

- H. L. Mencken

You seem to have a poor grasp of how TEAM + coaching works

Jul 16, 2017, 3:29 PM [ in reply to The absurdity of the idea of a "seniority rule" by Dabo ]

Stoudt played some meaningful snaps is the prior season. He did okay and worked hard. He paid his dues, he grasped the system, and he was a leader to the offense. THAT'S why he was given the opportunity to start.

Starting isn't based on raw talent alone. When Stoudt ultimately failed and Watson paid some dues and proved he was ready, then he started.

Dabo knew Watson had more raw talent, and he didn't start Stoudt simply because he was a senior. Dabo handled it exactly right.

You either misunderstood my post or you meant

Jul 16, 2017, 3:53 PM

to respond to a different one. We agree 100%.

- H. L. Mencken

Exactly.***

Jul 16, 2017, 3:31 PM [ in reply to There was no "senority rule" ]

Re: There was no "senority rule"

Jul 17, 2017, 9:19 PM [ in reply to There was no "senority rule" ]

That's a pretty quick blame game trigger you have their. Who, or what, do you blame the GT loss on?

Jul 16, 2017, 1:40 PM [ in reply to I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

Hunter was fresh on campus and hadn't much time to learn the offense, but dropped a dime in the end zone. We'll see how well he's progressed soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of the QBs threw some good passes, and Bryant hurt his

Jul 16, 2017, 3:33 PM

hand early.

Johnson will get a shot but we can't base anything on a "dime" or really anything we saw int he spring game for that matter.

Considering how things turned out - I gotta trust Dabo's

Jul 17, 2017, 11:17 AM [ in reply to I wasn't overly impressed with any of them in the spring game ]

decision on this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both? So it's a 2 man race?

Jul 16, 2017, 9:01 AM

Would be surprised that Cooper wouldn't be a factor at all. Fall camp will be rolling in no time!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Tigernet writer altered Dabo's quote...

Jul 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

He didn't say any specific names when speaking about it. You can watch the video if you want to hear Dabo'a true words.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to the video...

Jul 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/dabo-on-the-clemson-qb-situation/vp-BBEnckj

Re: Both? So it's a 2 man race?

Jul 16, 2017, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Both? So it's a 2 man race? ]

What, about 15 days and fall camp gets started, and I know that I'm more than ready to see how the QB situation shapes up or out!!!

Jul 16, 2017, 1:47 PM

davidhood® What kind of surgeries did Israel have and how did they go?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2017, 1:52 PM

I don't see how Bryant has paid any dues seeing as all he's done is mop up duty. Shouldn't be any seniority issues here. Play the best guy period.

There's a lot more behind "dues" than when you played in the

Jul 16, 2017, 3:23 PM

games.

Just like Stoudt, if Bryant has paid his dues, shows a grasp of the system, and exhibits an ability to lead the team in practice, then he deserves a shot at the starting nod. Just like Stoudt.

Jul 16, 2017, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done" ]

I hope so!

Enter Brandon Streeter

Jul 16, 2017, 2:31 PM

A difference maker as a coach. Dabo didnt bring him in to go through the motions. This guy is an outstanding coach and will have the QB's ready, regardless of the name on the jersey

Re: Enter Brandon Streeter

Jul 16, 2017, 7:36 PM

Hmmm, are you saying just call a QB jersey number, and that one will be ready to be productive!!!

"Both (Kelly Bryant and Hunter Johnson) of those guys.."

Jul 16, 2017, 3:18 PM

Did the writer insert Johnson by mistake? I'm pretty sure Dabo was talking about Bryant and Cooper, his top two coming into fall. Johnson may end being great, but he's not second on the depth chart right now.

Yes the writer did! That was not Dabo's quote.

Jul 16, 2017, 3:27 PM

Dabo's quote was "But I know that’s not the case. Those guys they worked their tails off.” He was very non-specific about it.

The Tigernet writer added the word "Both" to Dabo's original quote and stuck Kelly Bryant and Hunter Johnson in there. Not sure why that was necessary when Dabo didn't mentioned anyone by name in that quote.

Thanks. Hood should fix that.***

Jul 16, 2017, 3:29 PM

Jul 16, 2017, 5:52 PM

To thouse who think that Watson should have started over Stoudt against UGA. Consider this, Watson did not make it through Spring practice without injury, then he was injured in the Louisville game then injured again against GaT. 3 significant injuries. Dabo and staff may have been considering durability as a factor, plus he had not gone through all the summer workouts with the WRs beacause of his injury.

I love Chad Morris but I do think part of Cole Stoudt's performance issues were actually Chad Morris coaching issues.

Jul 16, 2017, 6:52 PM

Agrr

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2017, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney on winner of QB battle: "He's got to get the job done" ]

Definitely in agreeance with you. Felt in many games Chad was calling plays that were designed for DW4 and not Stoudt. Then stoudt had the game of his career when Chad was gone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic