Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No playoff expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

No playoff expansion

Jan 1, 2020, 5:20 PM

Can’t even get 4 good teams in the CFP.If you want to see UGA,Auburn,Florida,Alabama,LSU and ND in every year you certainly have a right to your opinion.I think it would suck.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No playoff expansion

Jan 1, 2020, 5:23 PM

I totally agree. Uga is not 5 whether win or lose tonight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2020, 5:23 PM

Expansion would only be to stack the deck to give the SEC more chances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 1, 2020, 6:21 PM

And to get more of the nation involved. They want the west coast of the USA to care too. Its becoming a southeast thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2020, 7:30 PM

There is something to be said for involving more regions & interest.

I would consider 8 teams if the regular season was reduced to 11 games.

16 total is too much for college kids.

the ratings for the two semifinal games

Jan 1, 2020, 5:24 PM

are why it will eventually be 8 teams blow outs or not.

Re: the ratings for the two semifinal games

Jan 1, 2020, 5:26 PM

Yea and as soon as you go to 8 teams the ratings will tank. The semis and final may still carry their own but no one wants to see crap like we are watching today in the final games.

Re: the ratings for the two semifinal games

Jan 1, 2020, 7:32 PM

I think the fact that it was leading to the championship would bring in way more viewers.

When they go to 8 teams, the 1st rounds will look more like

Jan 1, 2020, 6:21 PM [ in reply to the ratings for the two semifinal games ]

LSU vs Oklahoma than Clemson vs Ohio State - at least for the first 3-4 years.

Another thing to consider is that if conference champs get a guaranteed spot, the dynamics of recruiting will change overnight. In a few years you might see six or more teams who are talented and deep enough to make a run at the finals from a low seed. It won't happen right away though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep..but they know an average dame vs average mich

Jan 1, 2020, 7:26 PM

will draw in a rose bowl game and that will be money no matter how bad the blow out

Jan 1, 2020, 5:25 PM

Top talent will continue to sign with just a few select schools as long as the CFP is four teams. That's why games are so lopsided...the rich get richer. It's really not good for the game if more programs don't have a shot at the CFP. That's my view...and it's consistent with why most all other sports, college and pro, have expanded their playoff pool through the years.

Jan 1, 2020, 6:24 PM

I agree. This is the one disadvantage of the current system. Talent will sign primarily with the tope teams. It could result in 4 teams remaining dominate. It is good for us, but not all of college football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top talent has always signed with a select few teams...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: No playoff expansion ]

in the history of college football.

Clemson is finally one of those teams and suddenly we need parity. TFO

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top talent has always signed with a select few teams...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:44 PM

Frankly, I don't want an expansion. You are right about the top, but I feel like there is a different focus now with the playoffs having 4 teams. Before then, only those big traditional names got the best. I'm so glad we are at the top. I can only imagine where we are going with a number #1 class in comparison to top ten.

There are always a few teams that get the most talent

Jan 1, 2020, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Re: No playoff expansion ]

In all sports. Look at college basketball. They have a huge playoff field but the same teams are usually At the top of the rankings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The playoff should be for teams who earned it on the

Jan 1, 2020, 5:27 PM

field by winning their conferences and not teams voted in by biased people who have consistently demonstrated that they can't rank teams correctly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The playoff should be for teams who earned it on the

Jan 1, 2020, 5:33 PM

Four teams is ideal. Season is to long now and no way will it be expanded. This year proves four is the right number.

It has worked out well for us, but it doesn't prove that at

Jan 1, 2020, 5:37 PM

all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 1, 2020, 7:35 PM [ in reply to The playoff should be for teams who earned it on the ]

% conference champions, group of five team, 2 at large (not from the same conference).

That way there is none of the stacking of the deck that some have suggested.

Jan 1, 2020, 7:36 PM

5 conference champions

I'd be for it.***

Jan 1, 2020, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: The playoff should be for teams who earned it on the ]

- H. L. Mencken

Jan 1, 2020, 10:50 PM [ in reply to The playoff should be for teams who earned it on the ]

Agreed. Win your conference - win your spot in the playoffs.

Stay at 4.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:32 PM

No need to expand. Proven year after year.

I would say it's proven that it does need to expand.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:36 PM

The committe has proven time and time again that they can't accurately rank teams, so it stands to reason that deserving teams are being left out in favor of lesser teams. It is especially unfair when teams that don't win their conferences or even their divisions are even under consideration.

- H. L. Mencken

Two and three loss teams winning national championships...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:23 PM

will be a sad day for college football.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not as sad as a team that didn't even win it's division

Jan 1, 2020, 6:59 PM

winning a championship. That's really pathetic. It invalidates on the field performance. And it's already happened. IF you like beauty pageants over winning games, then stick with waht we have.

- H. L. Mencken

Except they earned it on the field by beating the #1 and #2

Jan 1, 2020, 7:12 PM

teams consecutively.

What deserving conference champion didn't get a shot that year?

There are five conferences that play real schedules, but there aren't always four champions from those conferences that deserve a shot to win the national championship.

Re: Except they earned it on the field by beating the #1 and #2

Jan 1, 2020, 7:37 PM

So you think it made sense when Auburn beat Alabama, jumped in the top 4, then got jumped by Alabama who got to sit at home while Auburn had to play for the SEC title?

Or when Ohio St. lost to Penn St. who WON the Big 10 but got in over them?

That's the height of stupidity. There's a reason no other sport is even thinking about implementing CFB's system. We are slowing creeping towards what every other sport has done forever which is a legitimate playoff where all division winners make it in and decide it on the field.

Re: Except they earned it on the field by beating the #1 and #2

Jan 1, 2020, 8:36 PM

So what if UVA had beat us or Pitt last year? They would be ACC champs. You would put them in with 3 or 4 losses? I don’t think so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely! They would have won it fair and sqare. They

Jan 1, 2020, 8:58 PM

They would have met the requirement, and we would have failed to meet it. They would have won, and we would have lost. They would deserve it, and we would not. There needs to be the possibility of an upset, or a Cinderella story every now and then, a chance to prove the critics wrong. What if, after we beat LSU for the championship, a committee got together and said, "sorry Clemson, good game and all, but that Joe Burrow is something else and we feel that LSU is still the 'best' team. So, we are crowning LSU the 2019 NCAA Football Champions!". I mean, that's what we are talking about here.

- H. L. Mencken

You are pretending like there is some reliable, objective

Jan 1, 2020, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Except they earned it on the field by beating the #1 and #2 ]

way to know who the best teams are by observing them and making a judgement. That is absurd, and nobody has been able to get it right yet. The CFP committee, with all of their guidelines and dilligence, gets it wrong. That's the flaw with your whole argument, and no number of examples or what-ifs can overcome that. I'm suggesting that there is no way to know who the "best" teams are, or even how to define "best". It is a red herring of sorts, because we can never know that, not definitively, but we can dang sure know who the winners are, and that's what we should be concerned with. The winner can lay a more convincing, valid claim to "best" than anybody else.

In the year you are talking about, Bama had one more week to rest and heal, and one less team to prepare for. It gave them a decided advantage. They won, but they didn't earn their way in. There very well may have been another team capable of beating both that year, but they didn't win the beauty pageant.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Two and three loss teams winning national championships...

Jan 1, 2020, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Two and three loss teams winning national championships... ]

Why - if they win it on the field ??

Re: Two and three loss teams winning national championships...

Jan 2, 2020, 12:08 AM

That’s just it:. They DID NOT win it on the field: They lost 2 or 3 “ on the field”.
Don’t try to fix what isn’t broken. 2 and 3 loss teams should never be considered.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:39 PM

if the SEC is ever left out, it'll go to at least 8 teams

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2020, 5:58 PM

That might be sign it is the end of times.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:50 PM

I agree.

The more I look at it, the more I think that’s the case.

And having just one more game could mean we might get more injured players or ones deciding to opt out.

Why is there an automatic default to

Jan 1, 2020, 6:01 PM

Thinking the season will be longer with playoff expansion? It can still end with 15 as the championship game. Do we need a conference championship game? Where's the value in that the past few years? Notre Dame didn't need one! ;) Is there a need for the Charlotte and Wofford games, if the thinking conference championship games are needed?

If Clemson didn't have the results it's had the past ten years, before the CFP was launched, you can bet your bottom dollar Tiger fans would be screaming from the rooftops for expansion. Furthermore...just suppose Chase hadn't rallied the Tigers against the 'Cuse, yet the season finished up as it did...less a CFP slot? What would Tiger Nation say then? If you're all honest with yourselves, you know losing a game largely due to the loss of a key player is a gut punch that doesn't mean the team isn't CFP worthy.

Eight is coming...and it will make the game stronger. Because presently, there is zero value in some top programs essentially seeing their seasons end before the first of October...but that's the current reality. That stinks.

Top programs are not out of it before October, good grief...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:35 PM

programs with name brand recognition and zero right to be in a national championship scenario might be out of it because they lost two games early.

Might as well go to 32, make the regular season about as exciting as college basketball (zzzzzzzzzz) and ruin the sport entirely.

You got it salty...

Jan 1, 2020, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Why is there an automatic default to ]

...get rid of the non conf cupcakes, they used to be used for "warm ups" to the season, but now, they schedule them on week 2, 3, 4,...11!

Also eliminate the conf champ. Let us play everyone on a rotating schedule. I dont care if we dont play FSU or GT some year.

Conf champs are a waste of time, everyone knew we were #1 playing a useless game, same with LSU.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You got it salty...

Jan 1, 2020, 8:15 PM

It’s not always a waste of time. Last year the winner of Bama vs Georgia was in while Georgia was out with a loss. This year Georgia would’ve been in with a win. Utah also would’ve gotten in with a win this year and them losing basically turned Oklahoma vs Baylor into a playin game.

Also in your example, what happens if two conference teams don’t play each other and they both go 8-0 in conference?

Not sure I understand what you are saying

Jan 1, 2020, 10:36 PM

If we get rid of Wofford, Charlotte and a&m game, we could add 3 more conf opponents and go 11-0 in conference. If it happens that there is another in the conference that does the same thing, they would be ranked and probably end up in an expanded playoff.

I guess there are all kinds of weird ties that happen, but there have always been rules on tie breakers based on things like record vs common opponents.

I’d much rather play VT or Miami game than Wofford.

Re: You got it salty...

Jan 1, 2020, 8:23 PM [ in reply to You got it salty... ]

Also, if you drop down to 11 games it won’t be the SC State type games that go away. It’ll be the Texas A&M type of game that would go away. Teams aren’t going to give up that extra home game.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:52 PM

OU killed the 8-team playoff idea.

Case closed.

Jan 1, 2020, 6:08 PM

The culture of D-1a (FBS now) has always demanded a determination of the "best" team at the end of the season - not a tournament winner as we have in basketball, other sports, and lower levels of college football. The four-team playoff serves pretty well in allowing that determination, probably better than the completely subjective method used pre-BCS and the two-team system used during the original BCS. (The current playoff is still under BCS as a corporate playoff - it's not an NCAA playoff as some think.)

Some subjectivity in the mix is part of what creates the buildup and excitement. When and if we ever go to a 8-team playoff, some amount of risk will be added; the risk being that an upset in a conference championship, or something like that, will introduce lower quality teams into the semis or even final. It naturally happens from time-to-time in a true tournament.

Maybe our football culture is shifting toward those who want a tournament, but it won't satisfy many of us (especially older folks like me).

It seems obvious this year, BUT...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:03 PM

...it won’t be that way every year. I think it’s an anomaly that we have so many undefeated teams. It will normalize and there will be a lot of 1 loss teams in the mix some day in the future. When that happens, and Clemson is one of those 1 losers, we would get left out due to SEC and B1G bias.

I think they have to find a way to get to an 8 team playoff, but I think the conference championships mess that up, because conf champs play one more game that is a big liability if you then have to play in a playoff. Might need to get rid of conf divisions and just have a rotating schedule. Going to have to leave it to committiees. Probably won’t happen that way, and so yes we will get Bama, Uga, ND, and OSU/mich in every year.

Re: It seems obvious this year, BUT...

Jan 1, 2020, 7:40 PM

11 game regular season - FTFY

One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:11 PM

...pisssing and moaning that we deserved to be in the CFP and it's not our fault that the ACC and the coots suck.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:18 PM

Yep.

Re: One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:29 PM [ in reply to One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be... ]

I see your point and we’ll taken.Just too much subjective crap like eye test,AP poll,strength of schedule and the list goes on.Still say the sec would benefit the most along with ND imho.

Not if winning your division was a requirement.

Jan 1, 2020, 6:41 PM

There a a lot of ways to do it, but the best solution is realignment of conferences to get 8 champions in a playoff.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not if winning your division was a requirement.

Jan 1, 2020, 7:42 PM

That sounds good on paper, but I think that is too disruptive. People appreciate their existing rivalries too much to accept that.

Maybe if we're undefeated and left out...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:34 PM [ in reply to One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be... ]

otherwise we got no room to say ####.

This year, they had Ohio State ranked ahead of us. In a

Jan 1, 2020, 6:38 PM [ in reply to One day we'll be #5 or #6 and you'll be... ]

two team playoff, we would have been left out, yet on the field, we won the game; we were the actual winners. Last year we were ranked #2 behind Alabama, yet we thoroughly whipped the Tide. Both time the rankings did not line up with the on field results. My point is, the rankings get it wrong, and the rankings determine who gets in and who doesn't. We have a poor system of determining who gets in and who doesn't. It's wrong, but everybody wants to pretend it fine and continue the nonsense that it can't be fixed.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: This year, they had Ohio State ranked ahead of us. In a

Jan 1, 2020, 8:09 PM

As long as the best two teams are in the top 4 then nothing else matters. I haven’t seen a year yet where an argument could be made that this hasn’t been the case each year since the CFP began.

Define best, then explain how you know who the best teams

Jan 1, 2020, 9:58 PM

are by that definition.

- H. L. Mencken

Four is often too many...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:21 PM

the main thing is we don't want a question when there are more than two deserving teams. This year we needed four but everyone knew we only really had three teams that deserved to be there, just the math doesn't work that way.

Last year four was too many, we really only needed two, but at least we don't have to hear ND whine about what they woulda coulda shoulda done.

The year before we needed four because we had three deserving teams and Alabama took advantage of being the team to round out the fourth spot.

And so on.

It's exceedingly rare to have more than four deserving teams, and usually only happens when nobody is especially elite and it muddies the waters.

Re: Four is often too many...

Jan 1, 2020, 6:27 PM

Use four conference champs. Make winning mean something. Kinda take it out of committee hands except for ranking 1-4.

I wouldn't be against a conference champions requirement

Jan 1, 2020, 6:28 PM

but I don't think every conference champion deserves a shot at a national championship. Especially with CCGs, teams with 3, 4, 5 losses can win a conference.

You don't "think" every one deserves a shot. You don't

Jan 1, 2020, 8:23 PM

"think" there are more than 4 teams that deserve a shot. Right now, it's all, entirely based on what people "think". Not picking on you, but you don't know any of that, it's just your opinion. Thinking people get it wrong, consistently. The CFP committee gets their rankings wrong on a consitent basis. Why leave it up to that kind of a system when it could be settled on the field? If we are going to choose winners based on flawed, biased opinions, why even play the games? Let it all be a hypothetical beauty pageant. Or, we can let teams earn it all on the field by winning actual games. So what if a 3 loss team gets in, as long as they earn it on the field. They may very well be better than the 1 loss team that doesn't make it.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: You don't "think" every one deserves a shot. You don't

Jan 1, 2020, 8:55 PM

Name one team in this season that hasn’t either lost 2 or more games, or hasn’t lost to at least one of the 4 teams that got in.

Uhhhh . . . App State. What's your point?***

Jan 1, 2020, 9:12 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Jan 1, 2020, 6:27 PM

Based on the final top 8 the first round would have been....

LSU vs. Wisonsin
OSU vs. Baylor
Clemson vs. Oregon
Oklahoma vs. UGA

I'll take that over a bunch of meaningless bowl games.

Probably all four blowouts with UGA being a lower seed but

Jan 1, 2020, 6:30 PM

Vegas favorite as the only "upset."

Jan 1, 2020, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: No playoff expansion ]

But if we had the top 8 going, I'm betting the final rankings would have had at least 1 more SEC team ranked in it.

That would be a step in the right direction.

Jan 1, 2020, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: No playoff expansion ]

What we have now is a huge improvement over the old BCS system. I'd like to see it continue to evolve.

- H. L. Mencken

Been saying it for years

Agree

If it goes to 8 with conference champs having an automatic bid, I think our conference needs to get rid of division. The two top teams need to play in the conference championship. An upset will occur at some point. Can you imagine a 6-5 team making the playoffs and leaving out a 1 loss team where the only loss occurred in the conference championship?

I would like to see the ACC put teams in groups of 4 that play every year to maintain traditional rivalries and then the rest rotate. At the end of the season, the two top teams meet in the conference championship. I hate that we don't play some teams in the coastal for six years.

Jan 1, 2020, 7:44 PM

That's an interesting idea.

Jan 1, 2020, 6:52 PM

It might change in the future, but now there's not near enough elite programs to expand the playoff.

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic