Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Email from President Barker to Clemson faculty on Thursday night football games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Football Update: Email from President Barker to Clemson faculty on Thursday night football games

May 9, 2013, 9:08 AM

Email from President Barker to Clemson faculty on Thursday night football games

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Email from President Barker to Clemson faculty on Thursday night football games

May 9, 2013, 9:23 AM

wow... 6 months in advance. That is good they are on top of this.

Re: Football Update: Email from President Barker to Clemson faculty on Thursday night football games

May 9, 2013, 10:01 AM

Was thinking the very same. Barker got right on this one, and it shouldn't be any misunderstandings with any staff or students on game day or night....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What an ####...

May 9, 2013, 10:03 AM

"Administrative offices on the main campus will close at noon. Staff – with a few exceptions (such as those needed to provide game support or other critical services) -- will be expected to take 3.5 hours of accrued annual leave or take the day as their optional holiday."

That's a #### move right there.

Message was edited by: soccerkrzy®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: What an ####...

May 9, 2013, 10:08 AM

NO that is making sure to: "treat all staff equitably and comply with federal and state labor and personnel regulations"

A #### move would have been telling admin they would not have the option of using holiday or annual leave and instead docking it from their pay.

null

If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work

May 9, 2013, 12:29 PM

how can you make someone take leave/PTO? If my work said "we are going to close for the rest of the day and we expect you to take vacation hours equal to the rest of the day" I'd have a little problem with that.

Have you ever worked somewhere that made employees

May 9, 2013, 12:45 PM

take a furlough time? Having worked for the state of SC at a University, I can tell you that when you see a paycheck with X amount less of money than you expect to normally receive because you were forced to take an amount of time off (yet magically the work you were to produce was not lessened) and vacation substitution was not an option to avoid this, then you can see how this is not really that bad of a thing. I would imagine that the employees do have the option of not taking the vacation time if you really get down to it. They just won't be paid their normal salary/wage for that time.

No one should work for an employer that can't afford to make

May 9, 2013, 12:53 PM

pay-roll.

Then all state employees

May 9, 2013, 12:54 PM

should walk out tomorrow.

And most federal employes too!

May 9, 2013, 1:43 PM

Employees should use their day with out pay to fix up their resume and talk with other employers.

And they may just be shocked to learn it's done that way

May 9, 2013, 3:12 PM

in most businesses.

welcome to the Obama years.***

May 10, 2013, 11:08 AM [ in reply to No one should work for an employer that can't afford to make ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any furlough I've been apart of

May 9, 2013, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Have you ever worked somewhere that made employees ]

either at my work or with other employers, the business was closed that day but they weren't forced to take vacation time to make it up. You might have taken a reduction in pay, but you didn't HAVE to use PTO. This release made it sound like they didn't have a choice but to use 3.5 hours.

A better example than furlough would be having the office closed for a holiday and making folks use PTO to cover that holiday. I would imagine the Jewish employees would get a little ticked if they had to lose vacation time to cover Christmas! ;)

And Clemson football should be a recognized holiday!!!!

That is the point I'm making, but got 2 TDs for it

May 9, 2013, 1:40 PM [ in reply to If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work ]

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't exactly call him an #### for it though

May 9, 2013, 3:30 PM

I just thought it was harsh that they were FORCING folks to take PTO. If the facilities are going to be open on that Saturday as Barker indicated, they should just be able to go in on that day. Or if you are an hourly employee not in the direct service of customers just make those 3.5 hours up some other time in the pay period by staying late/coming in early.

Personally Barker should send this to the ACC and tell them "this is why we don't schedule Thursday games. We have to cut employee hours to accomodate you." This can be done easily in Atlanta or Raleigh where much of the parking is off campus (or Durham and Winston Salem where nobody goes anyway.)

Re: If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work

May 9, 2013, 2:07 PM [ in reply to If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work ]

I would just give them a six months heads up that I was going to be sick on that day!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2013, 8:26 AM [ in reply to If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work ]

Then you have never experienced a layoff or facility closure. When you go through that you would be thankful it was only an afternoon.

Put years and years into an organization and gone with a 5 minute meeting

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to If the business is closed and you aren't allowed to work ]

Believe it or not, this happens a good bit nowadays. It does suck, in a way, but it is a huge hassle for employees trying to carry out their daily work routines when fans come in and get all in the way. Think traffic is bad on game day whan nobody is working their jobs? Add in all the employees, students, support, etc. that are trying to get to and from work, and it would be a major cluster ----.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What an ####... <<<<Not at all

May 9, 2013, 1:27 PM [ in reply to What an ####... ]

If Barker had ,

1. said ..."well, we have no choice but to give everyone the afternoon off, so please park in Egypt, ride the shuttle , wear orange, and enjoy the afternoon off on the SC taxpayer's dime"
Clemson would have been violating SC Law.

2. said , it is a normal business day for all employees and students, designated parking has been arranged and all faculty and students should move their cars wednesday to these areas, there is a shuttle running every "x" minutes 7x24 etc. take a vacation day, or ditch your class and/or lab if you want to go to the game at your own peril.
There would be a "March on Barker's House" , and faculty attacks on the admin.

3. said, "we are faced with a really tough situation, where we need to participate in a hosted Thursday night game and we have done as much as we can to avoid this , while at the same time "bitching" about our ACC TV contract dollars. There are labor law issues, parking issues, and real issues just getting around campus for work and class/labs "pre/ballgame/post". There is no perfect , and certainly no easy solution. If there was a perfect , easy solution, we would have participated with less push back. In an effort to minimize the impact we pulled together a TEAM, comprised of administrative, athletic, faculty , and student representatives! They have built consensus around the following plan. (hint , a team represented by each of the entities involved). Winner , winner chicken dinner!

I am not one of Barker's big proponents...but it looks to me like he did a pretty good job here.

I guess he should have added Tigernet poster representatives to the committee . He obviously doesn't know who runs things in this world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, what should happen is all faculty are given a paid

May 9, 2013, 1:40 PM

4 hours not from their accrued PTO or holiday. The funds could come from the ticket sales for the game, which alone are over $3million.

As IPTAY Family said above, this is ######## for the employees.

That is how the fed govt would do it. Big differences in

May 9, 2013, 2:01 PM

Pay and policies between state and fed govt

You are not going

May 9, 2013, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: What an ####... <<<<Not at all ]

to ever convince the negatrons. Barker did the absolute right thing, according to the law, and did it well in advance. Bravo!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all. It is the correct decision and the same one

May 9, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to What an ####... ]

MOST public employers would make.

Welcome to the real world.

Worked at Clemson for years

May 10, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to What an ####... ]

This is the way the state system works, like it or not. When there is a snow day, it is usually the same scenario. Don't worry about it if you don't work there. If you do, you accept it for the way it is or find another job.

I am pretty sure the governor still has to grant extra leave with pay for state employees: http://www.governor.sc.gov/ExecutiveOffice/Pages/ExecutiveOrders.aspx (See snow day--one of the rare times employees did not have to use leave or be docked.)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Seriously, Barker?

May 9, 2013, 1:50 PM

That is not enough time to tailgate if the lots aren't cleared until 1PM??!!?!?!?!?

Several points here

May 9, 2013, 2:01 PM

1. 1pm should be time-enough to tailgate for a 8 pm game on a Thursday.
2. Students park there. I no longer live on campus, but what you don't realize is that students have to move their cars at least 30 minutes away from that side of campus(where they are required to park as on campus residents) then walk or ride a shuttle back to campus. The entire ordeal can take over an hour. Its worth it IMO for the extra IPTAY dollars, but asking students to move their cars at midnight on a weekday is too much to ask.
3. Its a game we have at max every 3 years.
4. Its still more tailgate time than before a noon kickoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you need is this response.

May 9, 2013, 2:12 PM

1. Did you see the number of "!?!?!?!", it was clear he was being facetious.

Barker did not mention tailgating once.

May 9, 2013, 2:17 PM

Therefore, I assume he was trying to add a bunch of "?!?!?!", similar to how my girlfriend does when she messages me and I apparently did something stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I was kidding around. But in all seriousness,

May 9, 2013, 2:43 PM

you have no idea when i start tailgating for a noon game. ;)

I know it's going to be a PITA for faculty and students. But it's not going to be a cakewalk for me to make it up from Charleston either. And its something that happens rarely enough we should all be able to get through and make the most of it.

Go Tigers

Re: Several points here

May 10, 2013, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Several points here ]

> 1. 1pm should be time-enough to tailgate for a 8 pm
> game on a Thursday.
> 2. Students park there. I no longer live on campus,
> but what you don't realize is that students have to
> move their cars at least 30 minutes away from that
> side of campus(where they are required to park as on
> campus residents) then walk or ride a shuttle back to
> campus. The entire ordeal can take over an hour. Its
> worth it IMO for the extra IPTAY dollars, but asking
> students to move their cars at midnight on a weekday
> is too much to ask.
> 3. Its a game we have at max every 3 years.
> 4. Its still more tailgate time than before a noon
> kickoff.

1. Are you out of your mind? All lanes are basically turned one way on game days. You suggest we have all the people leaving campus at 1pm while 80K are arriving in the same lots and etc?

2. Nobody has to move their car "at midnight", move it earlier jeepers.

3. exactly max every three years , everyone can "afford" the inconvenience.

4. Clemson football are full day events for many that drive in. Part of the "neatness" of Clemson football is that we are not in a big city where people can arrive just before kickoff and get out right at the end of the game.

The OP , made a comment about how poorly Barker handled the plan and the communication. Most of the negative posters are ignoring law, common sense, and throwing out ridiculous ideas like paying from gate receipts. Does anyone understand the challenge and work involved in planning and executing that?

Schools do this all the time, I don't like it but goodness, what a bunch of wienies :)

May 9, 2013, 3:24 PM

It would be interesting to see what other state supported schools do when hositng a Thursday night game. My inclinations would be that everyone be given the time gratus. If that can't be done, figure out another way to make it happen.

Kudos to President Barker!

May 10, 2013, 8:39 AM

Thanks for your consideration to Fans, students and faculty. Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what happens

May 14, 2013, 12:39 PM

if a Clemson employee takes all of their accrued PTO before the game happens? Sounds like there isn't really a 2nd option.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic