Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perspective and the future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Perspective and the future

Dec 3, 2013, 3:30 PM

I've been gnawing at this for a few days and well I got to thinking about perspective.

It's always been "well at least we graduate our kids" and "well our kids are smart and not degenerates" or any of the other sort. We have to look at comparables and by god our National Championship was under an SEC guy, and ultimately we had to pay for some of the transgressions after he left.

What I'm saying is the SEC takes a whole different approach to this. They aren't as concerned or concerned at all with the "grad rate" and "good kids" stuff, they are only concerned with winning. We have a good program, great school and outstanding academics, but we aren't going to be a "GREAT" program with out the other factors suffering. Not that we need to disregard the academics, but let's face it, none of us here are conversing about who has the better Engineering school.

Who was it that said, "it ain't about where you start, it's about where you finish."

For the past several years the coots have managed to make that their mantra. Final AP rankings

2010 - Coots 22 CU - out of top 25
2011 - Coots 9 CU - 22
2012 - Coots 8 CU - 11
2013 - Coots 8 CU - 13 (BCS)

It's the finish that matters to me folks. Dabo is a motivator and would love to have him in Sunday School and around my children, but he ain't a football man, and he has surrounded himself with two really, really good High School guys who are also really good men.

At the end of the day, we as a university have to decide what it is we want and what price we are willing to pay for it. I know that for some, the price is already too dang high to have to hang your head and take the abuse from the cooters. A dang shame that we can't promote Dabo to Athletic Director or Spiritual Ambassador and get on a different path. The path we are on is fine, don't get me wrong, I'm proud of our guys and our school, but please don't ask me to give more money so I can continue to be slammed by my neighbors, friends, and in laws (that really burns me up) for wearing Orange.

Once was we said, wait till football season, now we seemingly have to say wait till Graduation Day, bet we have more of ours graduating than yours. That's something to be proud of don't get wrong, but dang fellas this ain't an academic board we are all conversing on. Maybe we can challenge the coots to an academic bowl or some mind games or something; cause I humbly must admit, the game we play - unless the coots are put on probation, is NOT going to beat them - atheletes or not.

The thing that is most disappointing is that while this trend continues we fall further and further behind and the catch up will take longer and longer. I can't help but think that if there is a coot that reads these boards, that they don't look at this with deja vue that this sounds like Cootville in the 80's and 90's.

I don't coach but as a businessman I have had to fire good people who were successful because ultimately they just didn't fit or their approach and how they handled my businessplan differed too much from what I wanted. Admittedly, when I let some go, I took a step backwards, but once I found what I needed I caught back up and surpassed. There have been a few I actually encouraged competitors to take (paid em less knowing the competitor would pay more). It was the right thing to do for my business.

I couldn't agree more that Dabo is a hec of a good guy, but I don't know who is lined up to come get him (a measure of your success). Perhaps even more disheartening is the increase made to Chad. That is just mindnumbing and makes it extremely difficult to offer him out to others.

Long rant, but all in all, I'm thrilled with the institution, proud of the kids that come out of it, and happy that we have 10 wins including 1 against an SEC opponent, and....one against the Citadel, SC State,Syracuse, Wake, BC, NC STate, Maryland, GT and VA: but dang gum I couldn't be more disappointed in where we are heading as far as being a GREAT football program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV was a high school coach? Oklahoma was a High School?

Dec 3, 2013, 3:40 PM

WOW.

Tree buddy, just think about this: for 20+ years we were irrelevant. Less than 3 short years ago Clemson appeared in the BCS for a short time, last year a little longer, and this year even more. We are relevant again. Dabo is out recruiting as I type this to continue to build the program. We lost to 2 top 10 teams this season. If we can win the bowl we will have back to back to back 10 and then 11 and then 11 again win seasons.

The building is not complete yet. You need to let Dabo continue to build and check back in a couple to years to tell me where Clemson is among the top programs in the nation.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

those ap polls could also suggest dabo in his 5th year is

Dec 3, 2013, 3:41 PM

closing the gap with a hof coach in his 9th.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: those ap polls could also suggest dabo in his 5th year is

Dec 3, 2013, 3:43 PM

yep unless you watched Saturday night

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i watched, my concerns are well known, he's done a good

Dec 3, 2013, 3:46 PM

job and those polls recognize it.

time to take the next step.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i watched, my concerns are well known, he's done a good

Dec 3, 2013, 3:56 PM

the losses as such dont concern me as much as the meltdowns FSU and S Car. to fight and lose I understand. playing stupid and giving it away is happening too often for a "good" program with two of our best players ever on the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good teams lose in bad ways, it's the difference between

Dec 3, 2013, 4:10 PM

great.

scar is a good team, not great, they got punked by tennessee. horrible loss, inexplicable.

they deserve to be where they are as much as clemson has earned their spot.

if swinney can't fix the obvious flaws, then clemson needs a new direction.

and whoever takes over will be taking over a good program.

No one on here seriously cares about graduation rates

Dec 3, 2013, 3:57 PM

It's just something nice to use as a moral victory.

i do.

Dec 3, 2013, 4:11 PM

seriously.

and i don't think i'm alone.

Re: No one on here seriously cares about graduation rates-

Dec 3, 2013, 4:17 PM [ in reply to No one on here seriously cares about graduation rates ]

yes I do. plus you have to now. if your APR is low enough they can deduct scholarships. even made Tenn clean up their act and they hadnt graduated anyone much in years till that started being tracked

Tell 'em coot

Dec 3, 2013, 5:29 PM [ in reply to No one on here seriously cares about graduation rates ]

No surprise here that you would say that.

You do realize

Dec 3, 2013, 4:19 PM

The academic requirements for Clemson and sc are identical for athletes now, right?

It's easy to say you care

Dec 3, 2013, 4:41 PM

But we all know you don't. I bet you remember who won the clemson carolina game in 1993, but can you tell me your 1993 graduation rate?

it's easy to say you don't when it casts a shadow

Dec 3, 2013, 4:59 PM

across your program coot.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20100905/PC1602/309059905

it's a huge piece of history at clemson; it's leaned on in the recruiting process.

your own school & many others are attempting to emulate the success.

Re: Perspective and the future

Dec 3, 2013, 4:57 PM

the programs aren't really that far apart. Coots have had the upper hand for the past 5 years, but that can change quickly. my fear, and what I think others might fear at this point, is sustaining the success. it's easier to decline than to improve. one blink or hicup we'll be set back. same for the Coots. Dabo is getting it done, but he's got a supporting cast that is critical to the team. i.e. Chad. Spurrier seems to be the CEO and COO and is in full control. What is also troublesome is in this high stakes game of chicken, we may be hindered as USC leverages their SEC resources that includes all the E$PN attention and soon will include the SEC Network. Folks, I'm telling you this is going to hurt us & FSU because all of the southern recruits are going to be watching this proproganda machine regularly. they'll have marathons of recruiting shows and they won't be flattering to us or the 'Noles. if & when the ACC finally gets their channel, it may be too late to repair the damage or it may miss the mark by not being football centric and will focus more on basketball and lacrosse. then you factor in the $$$ advantages that the Coots have w/ the SEC resources, and you could assume that we're having to spin more RPMs to keep up w/ the Coots, which ain't good. we've got to hold our ground for the next couple years, which won't be easy.

I think Dabo can get it done, but I'm a little nervous that our harmony is fragile. I'm sure it's just the pressure of the stakes. You all should be happy that I'm not fielding the punts.

Dec 3, 2013, 4:59 PM

This program is at crossroads. In order to be great like FSU and the elite teams, this university must accept lowering athletic academic standards and accept quality junior college players. Dabo needs to get off his morality kick and be willing to sign players of questionable character and academics . We need athletes not choir boys. Sign the players that we need to beat FSU. Quit signing kids like the strength coaches son with no talent .

Dec 3, 2013, 5:53 PM

I commend you for the best post I've seen re the coaching situation. No wonder you had success in business.

Dec 3, 2013, 6:29 PM

Dabo needs to get off his moral high horse and be willing to recruit and sign players who can beat FSU without regard to character issues or worrying about academic worries. Recruit like the SEC schools and FSU. The university needs to change admissions policies regarding athletics.

Dec 3, 2013, 6:32 PM

I'm no coot. I'm tired of losing to the chickens . Since when did we care about academics on a Saturday afternoon in the Valley? It's about winning.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic