Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far

Oct 2, 2017, 9:56 PM

some points valid but defense still wins games at the end of the day

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/2/16395710/clemson-tigers-football-2017-season-rankings

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ist das aus deutschland?***

Oct 2, 2017, 10:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ist das aus deutschland?***

Oct 2, 2017, 10:41 PM

ya.das ist aus deutschland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

might just be me, but I don’t see article as negative

Oct 2, 2017, 10:06 PM

I think points out a lot of things about this years team that we have all seen.

Our defense is no doubt dominant, but chances are they will have a bad day (see Pittsburgh and VaTech games last year).

Can this offense win in a shootout if need be? I am not sure of that answer as we have seemed to struggle at times to complete passes and protect, which is what I think article is alluding to.

In regards to being clutch, that rests solely on coaches and the lessons learned from prior teams. Seems like not long ago we lost a lot of close games. Somewhere along line the culture changed and we just have a group of coaches and players that don’t quit until the clock hits zero.

I agree. Pretty good article. As Kelly gets a little more

Oct 2, 2017, 10:55 PM

seasoned, the offense will be more productive. One thing has to happen in my opinion. Cain has to start making the tough catches. He has dropped a lot of sideline passes. And, contrary to back to back callers on Walt's show today that feigned worry about our passing game if someone stops the run, I am not worried. If we do have a game where Kelly has to throw it 35 times or more, I think his accuracy will increase. I think it is hard to be perfect when you only throw 3 to 5 times a quarter....

suprise..writtten by an SEC homer.***

Oct 2, 2017, 10:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

No, he's definitely not.

Oct 3, 2017, 1:20 PM

He grew up with Missouri in the Big XII. I listen to his podcast every week and he's definitely not an SEC homer.

Re: Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far

Oct 2, 2017, 10:29 PM

You know...I look at all the recruiting rankings...we aren't in top 5.....I hear all the nay sayers......I hear folks trying to draw interest on possible coaching offers to hurt our recruiting.....Finebumb sez it's not good for two teams to be on top for college football( why didn't he say that when Bama was always winning?) News media leaves us out of many discussions..but when it comes to Alabama..Ohio State...Michigan....PennState...etc..since their markets are big they get mentioned. So in SUMMARY.....BE JEALOUS U NAY SAYERS CAUSE CLEMSON FANS ARE ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Our coaches are great, our players are fine people first and great players too..oh ( they love each other and you can see it). And best of all the fans are greatly appreciative of what's happening.....WE ARE DEFINITELY TOO
DEEP!!!
Go TIGERS...THE BEST IS YET TO COME...

Oct 2, 2017, 10:58 PM

This guys ability to choose teams to cheer for (Dolphins, Pirates, Trailblazers, Mizzou) explains his ability to evaluate a winning program. Clever writing, pal, but you struck out. If you want to talk about why teams can’t continue to win then talk about the real issues...loss of talent, team chemistry, and coaching. That other crap you’re writing about means nothing when a team like Clemson is loaded with talent, team chemistry, and top shelf coaching.

Oct 2, 2017, 11:09 PM

I like S&P+. It's a really good, unbiased, quantative measure of how good a team is performing on the field.

The problem is this, though: S&P+ does not measure "sandbagging". Clemson sandbags more than any team in the nation. We're not leaving points on the field on purpose, mind, but there's a "process" to the way Clemson wins that S&P+ (and any stat-based existing model like ESPN's FPI) simply is missing right now.

It comes down to this: Clemson plays a boatload of players in key situations, even at the detriment of stats and scores. It doesn't show up on the scoreboard early - actually I think it may actually have a net negative in many cases, as it certainly did last week when our 2's and 3's gave up 14 fourth-quarter points.

It just isn't reflected in S&P+ that Clemson always thinks in terms of development more than any team in the country. We play our 2's and 3's from the get-go because we're...
1) counting on them down the stretch, and....
2) developing them not just for this year but in future years.

The best way to develop a player, to keep them plugged-in and engaged and improving, is to play them.

It does cost us points the first half of seasons. It also keeps excessive wear and tear off our starters, and it gives our newbs enough live fire they're ready to contribute late in the year. Which is huge in a 15-game season like the ones we've played in the last two years and hope to again this year.

So S&P+ is a very good analytic, but it's missing some key stats - namely, how many guys did a team rep in key situations, and what's the weight and value of that?

Oct 2, 2017, 11:15 PM

As always, spot on. And you’ve just explained why our “next man up” philosophy has worked so well and why there’s no panic when players go down.

Oct 3, 2017, 3:29 PM

I really like that we don't pad stats just for the heck of it and work on developing players instead. You can simulate game scenarios all day long but it just isn't the same. That's why L. Jackson had such inflated stats last year. We take our quarterbacks out instead of leaving them in to run up the scoreboard. It also keeps players from getting gassed by the end of a season.

That was spot on!

Oct 3, 2017, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far ]

Seemed like he was chalking up making the right play at the right time, to luck. Luck that won't always be there. Doesn't that go without saying? We are 33-2 from start of 2015 season. You don't luck out back to back 14 win seasons. Every team that has ever won a NC, has had a couple of lucky breaks. Luck doesnt account for 6 (soon to be 7) double digit win seasons in a row.

At what point do the naysayers stop attributing our success to lucky breaks, timely bounces, global warming, imbalance in the cosmos, or some Aunt Jamima looking witch doctor
priestess flinging darts at the board with pictures bearing the likeness of opposing coaches, worshipping Joboo and stabbing a voodoo doll of Lamar Jackson. It ain't luck....its just being that darn good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2017, 5:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far ]

Spot on. Dabo could care less about stats and impressing poll voters at this point. He is developing depth for a championship run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo

Oct 3, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far ]

We've also been ultra conservative on offense this year once we get a decent lead. That may or may not continue to work, but it's worked thus far.

Oct 2, 2017, 11:16 PM

Well the special teams play is going to bite us before the season is over if it doesn't get better.

Oct 3, 2017, 6:31 AM

Tiger577 = Debbie Downer

Special teams are just fine. Speiers had ONE bad punt that was returned because it was a line drive. KO defense team has played well. Trust me when I say that other teams are more worried about us than we are of them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people will never forget that one bad kick even if he

Oct 3, 2017, 11:59 AM

averages 45 yards the remainder of the year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree. ST has been bad for several years now and is bad again this year

Oct 3, 2017, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Debbie Downer article on clemsons "lucky" season so far ]

We are horrible in the return game - near the bottom in the country in both kick and punt returns. FG kicking has been bad so far this year. Huegel got off to a slow start before getting hurt and Spence is just 1/2 and also missed an XP.

Spiers has punted well distance wise but he's also given up some big returns due to low kicks. I think overall net punting has been rather average though that's something that can likely improve.

Kick coverage has been very good.

Oct 3, 2017, 12:28 AM

While the previous 2 years Clemson came very close to losses that luck played a major role in preventing such as the missed chip shot field goal, I really am not seeing that this year. This year Clemson has such a strong defense, that every game has seemed to be under control. Previous years the offense has had to use higher risk, higher reward, big plays. The defense was not strong enough to win games without big plays on offense. The main reason for the lower number of big plays, is at least partially due to having a defense that is trusted to hold a lead, but when it starts to look iffy, Clemson has shown that they can step on the gas again. The key object is to control the game and win...period...and at this task Clemson has looked marvelous, in spite of what this idiot thinks!

Oct 3, 2017, 6:49 AM

Maybe Debbie did Dallas one to many times and it affected her ability to reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly we're not that good

Oct 3, 2017, 1:27 PM

I mean, look at the impossible SEC gauntlet Bama has run so far. Clearly, they are the better team.

Oct 3, 2017, 2:17 PM

SBNation loves the S&P+ metric and it means literally nothing. It is an advanced metric to try and prove how good teams are based on the games they've played. I'm pretty sure out S&P+ ratings last year were absolute garbage and yet we have the national championship trophy in the lobby of the new player facility. So I don't care about this crap at all. Line us up with any team in the nation and I can promise we will thump them. There's only a handful of teams in the country that can beat us on any given day, no matter what the made up stats say.

We were 2nd last year and quite a ways ahead of #3

Oct 3, 2017, 3:38 PM

I wouldn't call that garbage.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic