Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Deshaun Watson as good of a runner as Dobbs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,107

Is Deshaun Watson as good of a runner as Dobbs?

Nov 2, 2014, 11:29 AM

I couldn't help but get the sense last night that QBs running the ball should add THAT dynamic to the game. The ability to break the long one -- albeit against a poor defense -- is what makes the running QB really make a difference.

We haven't seen enough of Watson's run game to really know. But what are yall's thoughts. Will Watson have a dominant performance on the ground like that ever...or will he not need to because of his arm?

Discuss.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly do to think he is. He is a pure passer that is a

Nov 2, 2014, 11:31 AM

Above average athlete.

Dobbs looked a little stronger and

Nov 2, 2014, 11:33 AM

more elusive than what I've seen of Watson but you never know how playing time will improve Watson's abilities. Hope to see him Thursday night.

Re: Is Deshaun Watson as good of a runner as Dobbs?

Nov 2, 2014, 11:34 AM

From what I've seen he doesn't have the blazing fast speed to just out run people, but it's his elusiveness that gives him an advantage as a mobile quarterback. There have been several instances when I've thought he was about to go down for a sack, but somehow he keeps the play alive. I like that when the play breaks down he doesn't immediately go to the run. Instead, he keeps his eyes downfield looking for an open receiver.

Nov 2, 2014, 11:35 AM

This is part of my thought too. I think DW would be more inclined to look for the 40 yard pass when he's out of the pocket than he would to take the 20 on the ground.

Short answer, no but the potential is there..

Nov 2, 2014, 11:37 AM

Dobbs looks to be bigger than DW and reminded me of Scam w how he ran last night. I think DW can have that kind of game but he scrambles and then finds the open WR down field rather than tucking and running. I think he'll become a little better runner as he progresses and gets a little bigger.

Dobbs is a Woody Dantzler type, IMO

Nov 2, 2014, 11:38 AM

can throw it effectively enough, but a running threat 1st

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

He looks that way but was rated as a "pro style" QB by both

Nov 2, 2014, 11:43 AM

Rivals and 247 so I'm not sure he has the run furst mentality, but he looked good doing it last night. Tennessee in my opinion, is the SECE team to beat in the next few seasons. Young everywhere and 5 new starters on the OL, have talented receivers, stud rb, and a hell of a DL class coming.

Nov 2, 2014, 11:38 AM

From what I saw last night, I don't think so. Dobbs has a thicker build and ran like a strong RB. I haven't seen that in DW yet. I'm finding myself holding my breath when DW runs or takes a hit. Before the broken finger, my biggest fear was keeping him healthy. He has seemed a little like a ragdoll out there. When the broken finger happened, it's like I was completely expecting it to happen at anytime.

DW is a better passer no doubt and has amazing QB intelligence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2014, 11:39 AM

What Dobbs showed early in the game was his ability to run well and that forced USuC to defend him and the freshman running back, along with an occasional throw. Later,he became a much more dominant passer and they couldn't defend that either. Being good at one or the other, can be trouble for a weak defense. Being good at both (run and pass), can be hard on even good defenses. Being great at both is tough on even the best of defenses. Watson will be great at both and unstoppable. The downside to running more is injury (as we have seen), but having a great running and throwing QB makes a team unstoppable. The very threat of the run makes passing better and vice versa. I think that the challenge with Watson is going to be keeping him healthy and out of trouble until he learns to take care of himself. This is not meant to be a negative towards him, it is just that he is a competitor and he wants to get all he can get every time.

No, he isn't. But he is a better passer

Nov 2, 2014, 11:40 AM

so he doesn't have to rely on the run as much. He does run well enough for defenses to have to worry about it. But from what I have seen so far, he is looking to pass first, run second.

Agree he is a better passer MUCH! thankfully and add the run

Nov 2, 2014, 12:58 PM

makes Deshaun even more effective than Dobbs. He has to stay healthy! I hope they can afford to use him sparingly against next 3 opponents and then allow him full time against Usuck!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the sirius football gane discussion, guys. I was thinking I wasn't out of line for thinking so. I also think there are different advantages - especially at the college level, when your QB can break a big one like that. I feel like when you can march your QB all over the field in the run game, the passes naturally come open.

IMO we should limit Watson's runs because his physical built

Nov 2, 2014, 12:32 PM

He is slender and not sure how much punishment he can take.

He needs to get up to 225 lbs or so without losing speed or quickness.

Noe Woody was another story

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,107
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic