Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
if we win the coin toss, I think we should take the ball 1st
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

if we win the coin toss, I think we should take the ball 1st

Jan 13, 2020, 12:28 PM

normally I say defer to 2nd half, but I think in this game it may be better to have 2 possessions to their 1 to start the game. Similar to last yr vs Bama, it gives our offense a series to get the jitters out so if LSU scores on their 1st possession we will have the next possession to match. What I wouldnt want is for them to get the ball 1st and score, then we get the ball and punt then them get the ball back with a chance to put us in a 14 point hole early.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

defer

Jan 13, 2020, 12:30 PM

The game is all about their O. IF the defense comes out and gets a stop on the first drive that will set the tone early

Saw Bourret on Packer this am. Said LSU is something like

Jan 13, 2020, 12:37 PM

90-2 when they score on their first possession if they come out on offense. I say we come out receiving. I have no doubt that's what LSU will do.

We both will have scripted first drives anyway. Doesn't make much difference really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saw Bourret on Packer this am. Said LSU is something like

Jan 13, 2020, 12:40 PM

That stat is very skewed because until this season LSU has relied on average ball control offense and great defenses.

With their previous gameplan, scoring first typically meant the defense was not equipped to stop them and they would be able to keep running over them.

This year they haven't lost a game, so obviously anytime they scored on their first drive it added to the stat.

Re: defer

Jan 13, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to defer ]

Clemson D seems to get better as the game goes on typically

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if we win the coin toss, I think we should take the ball 1st

Jan 13, 2020, 12:31 PM

should always defer w the opportunity to "steal" in extra possession in the gm

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2020, 1:18 PM

Last I checked both halves were the same length, so I am not sure how you steal a possession. It's a momentum issue. If LSU has the momentum going into the half, we have a chance to flip it. If we have momentum, then we have a chance to build on it. As some people have said, adjustments could play a role in the decision as well, but both sides of the ball have made good adjustments in recent years.

Jan 13, 2020, 1:44 PM

you "steal a possession" by ending the 1st half w the ball and starting the 2nd half w the ball, thus having 2 in a row. Length of half not relevant to this. But thx for the snarky misguided comment

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get what you are saying but you still wouldnt be getting

Jan 13, 2020, 3:31 PM

an extra possession. If you get the ball 2nd to start the game, then if there were equal possessions it is natural that you would have the ball last in the half. In the second half, it would be opposite, you get it first but if equal poss. then LSU would get it last to close the game.

Only way you truly steal a possession is if you get it first and last in a particular half, thus you would have an extra poss. your opponent wouldnt get

Jan 13, 2020, 12:32 PM

defer. CBV probably wants to see their O as much as possible in the first half, so he can make his adjustments. The fat lady wants to sing.

No chance

Jan 13, 2020, 12:33 PM

either team will defer

Re: No chance

Jan 13, 2020, 2:21 PM

wanna bet ??

Jan 13, 2020, 12:36 PM

I disagree.

In a game where many expect a back-and-forth between the offenses, getting to skip an LSU possession with a late first half score and getting the ball to start the second half could be a huge opportunity for our team.

Further, I think if at any point during the second half of the game we can take a 2 TD lead, it allows us to change the way LSU has to play on offense.

Obviously they like the throw more than run in general, but putting them in a spot where there is even less threat to run could really help our defense.

Jan 13, 2020, 12:45 PM

Nope. Defer as always. Last 2mins of the first half. Go down the field. SCORE.
2ND Half receive ko. Go down the field. SCORE!
This formula works. No need to change it up just for the sake of changing it up.

I dunno. The bread and butter of our team for awhile now has

Jan 13, 2020, 1:07 PM

been the "middle eight" which is the last 4 minutes of the 1st half and the first 4 of the 2ns half.. or thereabouts. We used the middle 8 to come back and take the lead against OSU, and we used it to put away both ND and Bama last year. That's just a few major examples but weve been great in those situations for awhile now.

So I would probably defer and take the ball to start the 3rd quarter hoping to steal some momentum at the end of the 1st half and parlay it into more points to open the 2nd half.

I guess yov are aware of 2quick td's deferal...

Jan 13, 2020, 1:08 PM

theory made popular by the NE Pats & success rate employing it; supposedly Dabo supports the same concept

Take the ball and run with it.... ***

Jan 13, 2020, 1:19 PM

There are all kinds of questions to be answered in this game

Jan 13, 2020, 2:20 PM

but there is ONE THING I am sure about - this game will NOT be won on the 1st possession

Defer (dance with who brung ya') - and win it in the 2nd half.

Jan 13, 2020, 3:36 PM

Jimmy green beans said same thing on espn radio.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic