Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any cell service experts up in here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 253

Any cell service experts up in here?

Mar 4, 2020, 9:32 AM

One thing has really been bugging me about the tornado. No one in my family had the emergency tone go off on our iphones during the storm. We basically slept through it and I woke up to find a notification from 6 hours prior saying "Tornado heading your way--seek shelter now".

I double-checked, and we all have those alerts enabled. So I can get a loudass amber alert in the middle of church when parent in Knoxville doesn't return their kid at the end of the weekend, but it stays silent during a tornado right in my backyard? Doesn't figure.

Talking to other friends, it's hit or miss---some got it, most didn't. I'm assuming there's some sort of "master switch" that has to be enabled for the alert to go out, and it makes me wonder if anyone who was killed had the same issue and could have been saved if they'd gotten the notice. Just trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if the do not disturb feature

Mar 4, 2020, 9:59 AM

needs to have override enabled for emergency warnings. I don't know if you even have yours on but maybe if you add the emergency number to your favorites?

If this is the case, I bet very few people know about it (I don't for sure just spitballing) and it either needs to be an automatic override or something.

TL : TR - not sure have you checked the don not disturb on you phone?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

good question....I did have DND on my phone, but

Mar 4, 2020, 10:17 AM

I don't even think my wife knows the feature exists so hers wouldn't be on. The issue is that it doesn't come from a number so there's no way to add to favorites.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Verizon's answer for an Android phone. iPhone similar??

Mar 4, 2020, 10:26 AM

vzw_customer_supportCommunity Manager vzw_customer_support
Community Manager
?07-31-2017 03:39 PM
It's very important that you get emergency alerts even when your do not disturb is turned on. Here's the steps to allow those notifications to come through to your device:

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen once using two fingers, or twice using one finger.

2. Tap > Sound and notification > Interruptions.

3. Choose if you are interrupted when you receive a new notification, tap when calls and notifications arrive, then tap allow only priority interruptions.

KatrinaN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Works in Lexington, SC

Mar 4, 2020, 10:29 AM

Halloween night, 6pm, just as the neighborhood is going out for trick or treating. Was outside, maybe 30 kids and parents all walking around in the street starting the night. Suddenly every single phone blew up with the warning. My phone, SIL, BIL, wife's phone, and all the phones of the parents on the street. Said to take cover immediately.

We ALL ran inside. On WIS they showed the tornado (signature) on radar. 7 minutes was the warning time from the alarm tone to the funnel cloud passing directly overhead. Was massively impressed. Luckily it didn't touch down, but the swirling clouds looked cool. You could hear it too, overhead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No cell service expert, but husband has been in the

Mar 4, 2020, 10:31 AM

field of tech/emergency alert services/911/CAD etc.

Depending on which jurisdiction you live in you may have to register to receive the most up to date notifications.

A quick google search https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/04/09/nashville-means-emergency-alert-system-notifications/3408949002/

City of Nashville may be on one system and burbs on another. Emergency services should have the ability to draw a circle on a map and ping all the cell phones in the area but sounds like it could have been a fail.

That's what's weird. I thought the WEA system was federal

Mar 4, 2020, 10:41 AM

and overrode everything. I actually got the visual emergency alert "NWS: TORNADO WARNING in this areas till 1:00 an. Take shelter now".

There was just absolutely no accompanying audible warning that usually goes along with them.

I dunno the specs but Weather and AMber Alerts come from

Mar 4, 2020, 10:47 AM

different places.

Man remember the days before weather alerts on smart phones

Mar 4, 2020, 10:32 AM

how the helll did we survive?

Everyone was looking up instead of down at their phones***

Mar 4, 2020, 10:32 AM

I think we just died in the tornado.***

Mar 4, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Man remember the days before weather alerts on smart phones ]

Replies: 10
| visibility 253
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic