Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, the Jon Stewart reaction to the Charleston shooting that's going around....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 291

So, the Jon Stewart reaction to the Charleston shooting that's going around....

Jun 19, 2015, 2:21 PM

Anybody else find it kind of nonsensical? I appreciate what seems like his genuine depth of feeling, but the stuff about the "disproportionate" reaction to something like this versus international terrorism is silly. I'll be very surprised if Roof was connected to any kind of network other than the imaginary network of black people trying to ruin whatever it is Roof values in his head. So I'm not sure exactly what it is Strewart thinks is comparable to Al Qaeda being hosted by the Taliban, or Saddam Hussein leading the nation of Iraq. Maybe it's appropriate to call what Roof did "terrorism," but I don't see how it would at all be appropriate to react to what he did in the same way we reacted to Islamic terrorism.

Also, does anyone remember the outrage some people had a few years ago when the DHS said that we needed to shift our focus towards "right wing" terror groups? If you'd asked me then, I would've told you we were actually spending a disproportionate amount of time on domestic terror.

Finally, the motive for these kinds of comments where people look for differences in how a white criminal (maybe "terrorist") is treated and how a foreign or black criminal or terrorist is treated is incredibly agenda driven. Major differences between the offenders and the events that occurred- other than race, of course- get ignored in order to advance a point. It's like these people think of everything bad that happens as just another opportunity to advance an argument about racial grievances. One particularly stupid example is the people wondering why Roof is described as "quiet and withdrawn" while some black criminals and rioters get described as "thugs" and have people looking into their criminal background. Those people entirely ignore the major differences in the crime committed, the difference in criminals' mental states, and the hilarious willful ignorance of some black criminals' background when they're first reported on. Of course, they're also ignoring that as soon as Roof was identified, people pointed out that he was a drug user and that he was illegally given a gun.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon man. Didn't you hear the audience be all silent?

Jun 19, 2015, 2:26 PM

I mean, people have to drive on streets named after Confederate generals. CONFEDERATE GENERALS IN THIS DAY AND AGE!

It's a wonder we ain't just bangin' away at one another left and right with all that hate under our very tires.

~formerly pgtbeauregard

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The whole 'way he was treated' thing is what really gets me

Jun 19, 2015, 2:46 PM

I don't understand how somebody who thinks police brutality is an issue can complain about how the dude was handled. It's baffling.

What I didn't foresee, are these same individuals now taking up the cause to remove the Confederate Flag. Pretty amazing how the victims have all but been forgotten(on social media, anyway), while people feign outrage over a bunch of stupid ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, the connection to the flag seems pretty tenuous

Jun 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

But for some people, it's just obvious that anywhere that has a Confederate flag anywhere near an important government building is encouraging people to mass murder black people. Seems like they're leaping over quite a few unstated assumptions to get there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, the connection to the flag seems pretty tenuous

Jun 19, 2015, 5:44 PM

No...I think anywhere there is a confederate flag there is a blatant disregard for a large portion of the population. Fly it at your house on on your car any time you want...I support that...but it has no place on the grounds of a state or federal government...the confederacy hasn't existed for 150 years now...let it go. And for the record, I used to be on the other side of this issue.

No, Stewart is right, but...

Jun 19, 2015, 3:48 PM

I think much like Islamic Terrorism, our responses to these terrorist attacks tend to go overboard in rhetoric and belief. Unlike with Islamic Terrorism though, the public's hyperbolic response to domestic terrorist attacks like Charleston tend to be almost solely for catharsis with very little action based on the catharsis. The media sees them as "content providers." Something that allows them ratings for multiple days until the public has satiated their emotional needs and goes back to being apathetic about the world. Rinse and repeat.

Islamic Terrorism is much more active in response, even if the threat level is the same or less. Things like the Patriot Act and NSA spying get implemented with the understood belief that the discarding of rights will help make us safer. A fact that even the CIA has said isn't accurate. Where or what is the balance?

That's the disproportionate response Stewart is talking about. Though, I would disagree with him that there needs to be a grand state based response to acts like this outside of what the law already directs. (I believe he's for banning guns, which I think is a disproportionate response)

The kid in Charleston had a plan to murder multiple people and to start a war. He picked a historic place that would carry the most impact. It was based on hate and race. It's closer to terrorism than simple murder, but then what is and isn't defined as "terrorism" (a tactic) is often too broad and based solely on the agenda that is driving for a particular response.

Absolutely. Hard to tell exactly what his point is.

Jun 19, 2015, 5:38 PM

I mean, yeah, this kid was an evil racist, and racism still exists, and racism is bad. I don't know anybody who would argue or has argued otherwise. Then to suggest that the "gaping wound" of racism has been ignored is preposterous. And no, sorry John, this isn't just black/white; it's more complicated than that. Then, roads in SC named after Generals who owned slaves somehow contributed to this? Bwahahahahahaha! Maybe we could look at what Roof did as some form of terrorism, but come on Jon, comparing it to Islamic or state sponsored terrorism against a whole nation? Please.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: So, the Jon Stewart reaction to the Charleston shooting that's going around....

Jun 19, 2015, 6:32 PM

What was "nonsensical" about it to you? All of the parts that make perfect sense, I'm sure.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what all those words in the post are about

Jun 19, 2015, 7:23 PM

HTH

Replies: 8
| visibility 291
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic