Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For all you doomsdayers after the Miami game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

For all you doomsdayers after the Miami game

Feb 14, 2019, 8:59 AM

It only dropped us 2 spots in the NET rankings to 39 which is what the NCAA uses not RPI. It was not a bad loss. It was a quadrant 2 loss. We still have 0 quadrant 3 or 4 losses. If we don’t upset UNC or UL then we will have to win 4 of the others- at ND, Pitt Home - FSU, BC, SU, None are sure wins except for maybe BC but none are sure losses. FSU will be the toughest but we led most of that game at their place and Mitchell has been playing bettter since. 4 likely requires a tourney win while 5 probably doesn’t.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remain Calm! All Is Well!!***

Feb 14, 2019, 9:03 AM

Re: For all you doomsdayers after the Miami game

Feb 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

Although I understand your logic but would not call everyone that was disappointed and expect more doomsdayers.

True, what you stated is correct but by seeding time, Miami will most likely be a quad 3 team. What it almost certain to do is keep us in 9th place. 8 acc teams will get seeds. 9 will most likely be a playin spot which isn’t all that bad.

Our net will drop because in all likelihood we’ll lose 3 more games. So, while it may not be devastating, it speaks to the larger picture that some of us felt this team had turned a corner and learned how to play D... as CBB alluded to before the game. Obviously, we still can’t defend the 3 ball and we’ve dropped to almost 200 in 3 pt offense production too. Not a good combination.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#FireBrownell!

Feb 14, 2019, 9:16 AM

Wait, this is the football board.

#WrongBoard

Re: For all you doomsdayers after the Miami game

Feb 14, 2019, 9:21 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25988799/jay-bilas-1-68-college-basketball-rankings-tiers-valentine-day

To double down on your post, Jay Bilas made a pretty strong statement about Clemson in his Valentine's Day rankings released this morning by saying, "The Tigers are 15-9 after 24 games and going to the NCAA tournament as long as they stay healthy."

People can spin it any way they want...

Feb 14, 2019, 9:54 AM

but last night was a BAD LOSS that likely causes irreparable damage to the Tournament resume.

Clemson now has no room for error against some of the leagues top opponents (i.e. Louisville, Florida State, Cuse, and UNC). The team will need to win at least two of those and then hold serve against Notre Dame, BC and Pitt.

In other words, win five of the last seven games (which is a tall order), and if, by the grace of God they managed to do it, they might still need a win or two in the conference tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

it's not spin- it's what the NCAA committee uses

Feb 14, 2019, 11:12 AM

to determine who makes it into the tournament. Miami is not some awful team. Do they have a bad ACC record? yes- but somebody has to- that's the nature of league play. They've had a lot of close losses that they have given up leads in the last few minutes. They had the game in Chapel Hill all but won just this past Saturday but UNC nails a 3 to tie it with about 10 secs to play. They got us at home in a mid week game. Middle ACC teams are going to likely go about 2-6 on the road and 6-2/7-1 at home over the course of the ACC schedule. We still have a decent chance of going 3-5 on the road, but at worst should go 2-6. Home we have a good chance at 6-2. it's the nature of the beast. You just hope when the schedule comes out each year you are not cursed with 2-3 home and aways with the top teams in the leagues. Luckily for us FSU and GT have been somewhat manageable H/A perm opponents lately and we're not cursed with 2 Duke, 2 UNC and 2 UVAs each year. Some teams probably have a schedule that looks like that.

The committee will view it as a bad loss...

Feb 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

because that's exactly what it was.

No getting around that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

the committee uses metrics to determine bad loss

Feb 14, 2019, 12:10 PM

it is not- period- in their eyes. You have not followed the selection process very closely in the last 15 years if you don't get that. The development of the quadrants has even been around a few years even before NET when RPI was used as the primary measuring stick for such. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if statistically speaking the loss by 1 point on the road didn't work as some sort of statistical win or neutrality in how NET is factored. The fact we only dropped 2 spots was likely more a product of other teams winning last night right around us than us losing. For example, I believe State beat SU, they may have been right behind us prior to that- don't remember. The NET involves much more than w's and l's also.

Re: The committee will view it as a bad loss...

Feb 14, 2019, 12:15 PM [ in reply to The committee will view it as a bad loss... ]

Losing by 1 point on the road in the ACC is not a bad loss. It was heartbreaking for sure but not a bad L.

Spin or whatever..

Feb 14, 2019, 12:29 PM [ in reply to it's not spin- it's what the NCAA committee uses ]

If, if, if...

Bottom line - make the tournament, or turn the page. Period. It ain't time to throw in the towel yet. Shouldn't condone quitting or overoptimism, but coach needs to show he can do it. Now.

No Coaching errors

Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 AM

Basketball can rip your heart out, because of gut wrenching finishes, the fickle fate sometimes being decided by who gets a loose ball or rebound, who does or does not make a free throw or who makes a hard shot at the end. Despite Miami being incredibly hot on 3 point shots, our team showed heart, was 15 of 15 at free throw line, and would have won had not the Miami player made a very difficult shot with less than a second left. Yes, we lost, but there were no coaching blunders, and I don't have a bitter taste in my mouth, like I did after N.C. State loss. It's hard for a team that makes only 3 three point shots to beat one that makes 10, but we almost did. Coach Brownell did not miss all of those three point shots, and sometimes your opponent just shoots better than you and you lose. I thought our defense in the last 2 or 3 minutes was pretty darn good, and it gave us a change to come back and win. Considering the alternatives to Coach Brownell and our lengthy and sad basketball heritage, which our athletic director has done, I still believe Brownell is a keeper and AD made the correct decision.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No Coaching errors

Feb 14, 2019, 12:19 PM

As in real estate, it's about Location, Location, Location and Seeding, Seeding,Seeding. Avoiding the play in Tuesday, 1st round Thursday is big if history reminds us!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think you're going to have to replace that bad loss with a

Feb 14, 2019, 12:23 PM

overachieving win. Had we not lost that one then we could lose to unc, syracuse, louisville, and maybe even FSU and still be fine. But that loss means you can't slip up anymore.

we should be favored against Cuse and possibly a line

Feb 14, 2019, 3:05 PM

favorite against FSU. I'm confident we'll win one if not both of those.

We need to make the tournament. That's the bottom line.

Feb 14, 2019, 12:24 PM

Let's stop the pumper/dumper debate. We should still have hope to make the tournament, and we still can, but there's no sense going forward if we don't make it. It was fully expected this year. That's not dumping or doomsdaying.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic