Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN: Clemson has made huge recruiting strides, but FSU...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,544

ESPN: Clemson has made huge recruiting strides, but FSU...

Feb 4, 2016, 12:06 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90794/clemson-has-made-huge-recruiting-strides-but-florida-state-remains-no-1

During Clemson’s run to the national championship game, coach Dabo Swinney drew high praise for the way he has elevated his program through his tireless recruiting efforts.

That part is undeniable. For the sixth straight season, the Tigers finished signing day with a top-15 class in the ESPN recruiting rankings.

That has not been good enough to lead the ACC, though.

As good as Swinney has been, his conference rival has been just a little better.

Since Jimbo Fisher took over at Florida State in 2010, he has had the top class in the ACC every season.

And after finishing No. 1 in the nation in the ESPN class rankings Wednesday, Fisher joined Saban (4) and Urban Meyer (2) as the only head coaches with multiple No. 1 classes since ESPN’s recruiting rankings began in 2006.

What Nick Saban is to recruiting in the SEC, Fisher is to recruiting in the ACC. Both cast quite a large shadow. Swinney is only now closing in as he works to build Clemson from a regional brand into a more national one.

Florida State has not been shy about recruiting outside its general footprint. Fisher is an excellent recruiter, for starters, and he has much more history and tradition to sell than his Atlantic Division counterparts. Perhaps that has made it easier to break away from regional recruiting.

Look at this year’s class as an example. Eight out-of-state ESPN 300 recruits signed with the Seminoles, the most in a single season in the ESPN 300 era.
Clemson's Dabo Swinney is closing in, but he hasn't caught Florida State's Jimbo Fisher on the recruiting trail. AP Photo/Richard Shiro

Clemson has focused on recruiting in the Southeast and has built a big pipeline into Florida, where it has had immense success since Swinney made that state a priority. The Tigers beat Florida State for ESPN 300 cornerback Trayvon Mullen.

But with the recent success the football program has had, more recruits are aware of Clemson, Swinney and defensive coordinator Brent Venables. So Clemson has expanded out further. The fact that No. 1 overall recruit Rashan Gary – from Paramus, N.J. – had Clemson as one of two finalists speaks specifically to that.

That is a position Florida State has been in under Jimbo Fisher, and it has helped set Florida State just ahead of the rest. He can walk into any home across the country and his program is instantly recognizable. The same goes for Saban and Alabama.

That doesn’t make it any easier to sell a recruit. Fisher has worked tirelessly to build his reputation as one of the best recruiters in the country. Based on what Swinney has done at Clemson, he is up there, too.

Both have put their programs in position to compete for national championships, as we have seen during the last three seasons. They got there with countless recruiting victories and highly rated classes.

To be sure, Swinney has made major inroads.

But he hasn’t quite caught Fisher.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN: Clemson has made huge recruiting strides, but FSU...

Feb 4, 2016, 12:09 PM

the frayed moral fabric underpinning the FSU program will cause it to collapse under the weight of its players antics eventually

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we beat FSU this past season, and QB is a huge...

Feb 4, 2016, 12:12 PM

question mark for FSU. After next season, we will have four four star QB's (Israel was rated 4 star by some, 3 star by others, and one five star QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Class.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:12 PM

He might sign the better class numbers wise ,. but they have no class .,

Covered up Rape ,. Domestic violence ,., they don't call them Criminoles for nothing .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

should I post my rant on ESPN site?***

Feb 4, 2016, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry Franc! Just looks like it's not gonna be your day!

Feb 4, 2016, 12:43 PM

Not to worry, this, too shall pass! Just take a couple Tums (or maybe some Immodium AD in your case ;), and I'm sure the rest of us whiners will be over this in a month or two...

...say, only 64 days until the Spring Game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I remember Bowden's last few years at FSU and he continued

Feb 4, 2016, 12:20 PM

to get highly ranked players and always had top ranked classes. But the story was that his coaches were lazy and recruited more off the ranking list than watching the players in person and studying their film. The result was much better recruiting rankings than showed on the field. I firmly believe that Dabo and our coaches have a better grasp on talent than FSU....maybe only slightly....but enough to overcome and slight advantage on a recruiting ranking index. If we can continue to recruit in the top 15 or so, I'm confident we will win our share of games against the Seminoles.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And other programs follow our lead...

Feb 4, 2016, 12:27 PM

And I continue to think that there are other programs that let Clemson do the talent evaluations and when Clemson offers, then they check the kid out and offer right after. Pretty sleazy if you ask me. I'm sure Dabo and Company could right an awesome book about the inner details of the recruitment wars that go on in high schools and homes in our very communities.

The difference is we look at talent but also look for a

Feb 4, 2016, 12:29 PM [ in reply to I remember Bowden's last few years at FSU and he continued ]

certain type of kid to come here. Not saying all of them are, but we don't have FSU and Miami back in the day problems.
Recruiting talent alone can put too many egos on the field.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

What a great "problem" to have

Feb 4, 2016, 12:25 PM

falling a close second because FSU is first in the nation two years in a row. If we continue to battle FSU for the top spot in recruiting every year, we will be very good every year.

Wanting to hang around the top 5 and make the playoffs is

Feb 4, 2016, 12:26 PM

big boy football. It's not for the faint of heart.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Next Fisher/Swinney articles: Graduation & Moral Character***

Feb 4, 2016, 12:27 PM

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,544
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic