Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this a down year in College Football overall?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Is this a down year in College Football overall?

Nov 29, 2018, 10:54 AM

When I look around the total landscape of college football this year, it is harder than normal for me to get up in arms about the number of SEC teams in the rankings this late in the season. Reason is, there just don't seem to be the number of good teams around as in past years. Yes, the teams at the top of the conferences may have comparable won / loss records as in the past, but several seem to be what I call "half" teams. Meaning, they survive via prolific offenses, with pitiful defenses. Now, this has almost been a staple of things in the Big 12 for years, but even more pronounced this year.

Even O31O State seems to have fallen on hard times on defense. Michigan, which was being built up for playoff consideration, torched by that same O31O State to the tune of 60+ points. The same O31O State that previously got torched by PURDUE. Other traditional BIG contenders, such as Wisconsin and Michigan State, down. Nebraska, historically down. The entire PAC 12, down. The "usual suspects" other than us, in the ACC, down. Oklahoma winning games 100-97 on a deep 3 from the wing as time runs out. Even in our case, Coots inexplicably score 35 points on our defense. Only Bama has played very solid defense for the whole season. From that perspective, they deserve their #1 ranking. (You can argue about their strength of schedule, not going there.)

Now, I appreciate good offenses as much as anyone, but that is, and should be, only part of a successful team. Maybe it is something in the water, but it just seems like, at least if you like defense at all, the whole of college football is down this year. This lack of defense makes anyone beatable on any given day. Makes me appreciate the level that Coach BV has our guys playing at most of the time, all that much more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this a down year in College Football overall?

Nov 29, 2018, 11:03 AM

Be careful on your assessment of Bama until you check their points given up in the middle of the season to teams like Arkansas.

Don't fall into the trap of the media to pretend Bama has dominated all season on defense since some recent games may have showed that teams can actually slow down their offense. Notice how the message switched from "Tua and points" to "dominating defense".

Always remember to keep one eye on the hand that isn't waving in front of your face...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 11:33 AM

Did you not see that Bama allowed 31 against Arkansas and 17 against the Citadel? To say that Bama played very solid defense all year is a stretch. They had their problems as well. Heck they played in a conference that only TAMU and Ole Miss had a decent offense and Ole Miss really was overrated by playing really bad teams. This is probably the weakest Bama's defense has been in over 5 years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 11:34 AM

Just as much talent. Just not concentrated at the blue blood programs of the past

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Nov 29, 2018, 11:59 AM

It's just that all the top talent is concentrated in Clemson and Tuscaloosa.

seems like The gap between 9-3 to 6-6

Nov 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

Teams is smaller than ever. There were several head scratching results throughout the year.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic